Rising Fuel Prices

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#26 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:52 AM

re ^^^ not sure what the arabs pay but at last check it was something like 20c/gallon from memory....

Herne

#27 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:02 AM

what pisses me off is the yanks are paying less than 70 cents a litre.....

Mate, the seppos in California were paying US$2.50/gal when l was there a couple of months back, that equates to 87c Oz a litre. 12 yrs ago when l was in Oklahoma they were paying US99c/gal :cry: You should hear them whinge now especially with those farkin stupid trucks they insist on driving.

#28 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

mondie there's roughly 4.5 litres to the gallon so that actually is only about 56 cents a litre... the bastards.

#29 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:54 AM

More expsneive fuel = more effort for carpooling/walking/train/bus = less milage on the 'ol red 6 :)

#30 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:01 AM

mondie there's roughly 4.5 litres to the gallon so that actually is only about 56 cents a litre... the bastards.

Seppo gallon is 3.85 per litre, either way pretty cheap but not as good as it used to be in relative terms.

#31 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:32 AM

sorry Mondie, learnt something new today... trust the yanks to rip you off for a gallon....

#32 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

We should try this on our next cruise when we rock up to a petrol station:

Just walk away...
Leave the oil, the fuel and just walk away...
We will give you safe passage...

Posted Image

:D

#33 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

Our Goverement can do SFA about this situation, the oil barons know they have everyone by the balls and it's as simple as that. If the Aus Gov removes the fuel excise Australia will be the worst contry on the planet and we will get screwed over in so many ways it will make your head spin. I believe the Gov should look at removing the GST however as fuel costs are now effecting the cost of everything. Groceries may have no GST, but the GST is effecting the costs in other ways and it needs to be looked at. At least we do have some money in the kitty to allow tax cuts at the moment. We can all thank the good old USofA for fuel costs thanks to their war in IRAQ and the media for it's sensationalism and predictions.

#34 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:56 AM

Seppo gallon is 3.85 per litre, either way pretty cheap but not as good as it used to be in relative terms.

One thing that has to be considered here is the average wage when talking fuel prices, everything is relative. Look at whay they pay for new cars in the US....

#35 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

A barrel is 200L.

The US government subsidises oil supplies internally, thereby reducing the internal USA cost.

The majority of profit the oil companies make is on Aviation Fuels and Heavy Oil/Diesel for Shipping - Automotive fuels are a drop in the barrel.

The cost of a barrel was at US$70 a while back/A$53cents US and the prices at the pump were heaps lower than now?? I must have missed the lecture USMathematics101 at Uni.

Antelope - $2.40/L in the UK is an artificially inflated price to try to reduce the amount of ppl driving - and thus reduce greenhouse emissions, cos god knows we can't tell industry to cut back on polluting!!! Not sure what the Actual price in the UK should be.

Price of a barrel goes up - Pump price up overnight.
Price of a barrel goes down - Pump price MIGHT go down in a week.

At least 65% of the pump price here is tax (oh, sorry little Johnny, excise) with a GST on top......taxing a tax......didn't they say that was illegal before JH brought the GST in?

NSWelshmen may know the 3x3 levy for the roads - 3c for 3yrs
Became the 3x4 and the 4x4 and that was in the 80s but they've still got that levy in NSW, paying straight into pollies pockets.

Everyone needs to kick up a stink with NRMA/RACQ/RACV/RACWA etc and get them moving to protect the motorist.
Put pen to paper. It's the only way to be heard.
Make up a form letter and pass it out to be mailed to Canberra.

We COULD be paying less than 85c per litre.........
We also COULD be paying politicians less than a quarter of what they get now.......
And Australia CAN subsidise supply in this country and drop the price of fuel, but don't want to upset our neighbours.

The government has the most to lose from lowering the petrol price.

Viva la Revolution.

#36 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:05 PM

Hi Guys.

I'm with REDA9X, it's not our government's fault. Although fuel should be GST exempt, as are raw food & basic supplies like water etc.

It's also interesting to see how much worse off the rest of the world is. Sure the Arabs get their fuel for peanuts, I saw a news article about Libya where it was 7c per litre. But the rest of the world is paying up bigtime. About the only countries that I know of, where petrol is cheaper than Australia is Mexico & the US & not by that much.

Do the numbers, I saw on Tuesday night people at a servo in Los Angeles complaining about $3.20 per gallon. If you convert that to litres @ 3.8 litres per US gallon you get 84.2 c per litre. Then convert to $A at 70c, you get $1.20, & they don't have 10% GST. So it's almost line ball.

Don't get me wrong, I think petrol is way too dear & I think the Arabs & the oil companies are ripping us off, & laughing at us while they're doing it. But spare a thought for guys in the UK & Scandinavia, they would be looking at us at $1.40 & saying lucky Aussie bastards.

Dr Terry.

#37 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:28 PM

The majority of profit the oil companies make is on Aviation Fuels and Heavy Oil/Diesel for Shipping - Automotive fuels are a drop in the barrel.

Surprising since automotive fuel makes up ~50% of world fuel production

#38 _ToranaGuy_

_ToranaGuy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:48 PM

The Govt can do a lot more than most ppl think, but it would cost them a lot, so they see $$$ decreasing and say nope, can't do anything!

Good point about the GST on petrol. 10%, well let's see, @ 1.20 we could save 12 cents per litre on the pump price. On LPG @ 50cpl we could save 5cpl. That saving alone is a big differance to the working class! I could be saving more than $9 a week in fuel costs, doesn't sound like much, but over a year it works out to $468! almost one whole week of my wages!

The Govt could also mandate more ethanol that's locally produced into our fuels. Sure, some of us are going to have to modify a few bits on some of our cars, but for more local $$$, more local aussie jobs, less dependance on rag head oil i'd be up for it! It's just a pitty i can only get ethanol blended petrol @ one servo in my area, that's clearly labled as such and cheaper than regular petrol, and they close up @ 10pm every night. Meaning i usually can't get any.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

#39 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:15 PM

You all should buy 4cyl's, it's life. It will get worse, wait and see in 12mths time when your all working for 1/2 the money too. little John, thinks we are all living too good for peasants.

#40 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:19 PM

Hi Guys.

I don't want to turn this into a political slanging match, & I might add I didn't vote for John & I have never met anybody to admit they were silly enough to vote for Mark what's his name.

But, people who complain about little Johnny, are not old enough to remember the stupidity & arrogance of Gough Whitlam or Mr Keating. I think little Johnny & his crew, with all their faults is probably the lesser of 2 evils.

Dr Terry

#41 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:30 PM

:spoton:

#42 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

I couldn't agree more Terry. The current opposition has no answers (lets face it none does) and they can't even keep their own party together for long, how can they be expected to govern the country effectively

#43 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:05 PM

Two of my work vans are 4 bangers. The LPG only van goes through 200 - 250 litres of gas a week. I prefer the 42.5 cents/litre I paid today than the 139.9 cents/litre for ULP I saw at plenty of places I drove past today. You may not like how the Arabs are ripping us off, but what if you lived in Arabia? Would you see things differently?

#44 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

More than likely Chopper, after spending time in the middle east, I can see why they hate westerners, in particular Yanks.

#45 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

drifting off topic :)

The Arabs will earn more respect when they stop their terrorist suicide bombers blowing up innocent civilians in street cafe`s. And that's just for starters.
They wanna wage war then do it in a civilised manner - ie against opposing armies lol

Herne

#46 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

Herne, I loaned my LX to a friend once. Never got it back in one piece. While she had it, she got pinched by a speed camera. So because a Torana gets caught for speeding, does that mean that all Torana drivers act like this?

#47 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:38 PM

Took the words out of my mouth. Also gotta remember that while you're on a forum (esp Australian; multicultural) there are people from many nationalities, you've gotta at least watch what you say to some extent.

I will always consider my vehicles as recreational. If I wanna save money and prolonge the deterioration of this earth I take the bus or ride my bike.

#48 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:39 PM

Sounds typical of a Torana driver to me, now if it had been a Ford it would never have happened. :)

Herne

#49 _wombat_

_wombat_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:13 PM

if george would keep his mouth shut about nuking iran the oil traders on the stock market would pull back abit on the futures bit. ol dubbya's all ready stuffed the oil supply from from iraq . with a VP that is in bed with halliburton(big name in oil)
i guess their stocks would be looking good. being self sufficant in oil does not help,the norwegiens are the 3rd biggest oil producer in the world, population of 5 mil and petrol over 2 bucks a litre. and thats after you pay 100k for a new vw passat as 1 of the noggys on here just did!!

currently bouncing around bass straight looking for oil

#50 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:23 PM

I do not watch what I say I am proud of my prejudices....I can live with them, if you cannot then thats your problem, get over it.

Herne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users