• Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

LOL ;)

Herne

#53 _ssstone_

_ssstone_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:16 PM

I filled up at 38.5 cents/litre this morning.

where
?????????????? cheapest i seen is 42.5

#54 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:49 PM

I am unsure how this works but I have often thought the media is somehow in collusion or being used by the major oil companies (multi nationals) We are being told 'possibly' $2.00 a litre by the end of the year. So when fuel only gets to $1.75 we think we are doing OK.

Just a thought of how we seem to be suckered into these things. It's one big mind game IMHO

Herne

#55 _ToranaGuy_

_ToranaGuy_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:37 PM

I am unsure how this works but I have often thought the media is somehow in collusion or being used by the major oil companies (multi nationals) We are being told 'possibly' $2.00 a litre by the end of the year. So when fuel only gets to $1.75 we think we are doing OK.

Just a thought of how we seem to be suckered into these things. It's one big mind game IMHO

Herne

That's more than likly not so far from the truth you know, which is rather scary! You gotta love capitalism. We don't live in a democratic society, we live in a capitalist society.

I'm just old enough to remember some of keatings days, and yes i'll hand it to you that johny is doing a better job on the whole, but he could be doing a whole lot more good as well!

Oh, to the guy who said buy a 4cyl, man, unless we are all changing to small cars that can't tow a tandem trailer or caravan, putting smaller engines in the size of current cars would only use more fuel as we would have to flogg them to get anywhere... Ever driven a 4pot torana? Yep, a real disapointment, as are most 4pot cars, and the ones with go usually have a large turbo and cams, not to mention fuel comsumption approaching our big 6 & 8 cyl cars. :rolleyes: Horses need feeding, no matter the size of the engine. When you own a Suzuki Mighty Boy, 543cc, yep half a ltr, 4spd ute, 550kg and a Eb GT Mockup, 4ltr 6cyl, 1600kg on lpg, and the ford is cheaper per 100kms than the little 3pot, not to mention a lot faster car, well you will understand. I'm planning a 1.3lt & 5spd swap into the mighty boy btw. Mighty even run it on LPG as well. :spoton:

Yes, i own a tandem trailer, a caravan and a box trailer. I like to be able to pull them up a hill @ more than 5kph. lol. The real ans is an alternative locally produced fuel, which would be all the more sweater if we could sell some of it on the so called open market.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

#56 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:16 PM

I think it's a case of the oil companies don't want to give the media any credibility. If the oil companies put the prices at where the media say they will be, then the media will be saying " told you so ".

Anyway, managed to top up at 34.5 this afternoon. Being a courier, I can sometimes be in the right place at the right time. I can also be in the wrong place when I'm just about empty, so I don't always win.

#57 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:49 PM

Latest price according to the TV news tonight:

$72 US a Barrel and rising........

My mate John H thinks it won't stay this high....

Chopper I dunno how you do it but I could do with some of your luck :)

Cheers
Herne

#58 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:05 PM

Just think, I get paid to drive around and find these "bargains". It shouldn't be this much in the first place.

#59 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:34 PM

I saw Gas for 39.9 today... up in Wanterna off Boronia Road. Its a Mobil between Stud and Wanterna Roads.

Steve

#60 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

I do not watch what I say I am proud of my prejudices....I can live with them, if you cannot then thats your problem, get over it.

Herne

i thought you said what you wanted quite well without crossing any lines.

i cant see the problem??

#61 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:27 PM

Thanks Brett

There will always be those that go out of their way to be PC. They pussy foot around and never have the intestinal fortitude to stand up for what they believe, this to me is the easy way out. You can't please them all and I for one accept this fact and do not try.
I would rather say what I mean (trying to be reasonably polite about it) and stand proud for what my views are.

Man has fought from the first day he met another man on this planet, it will not change regardless of PC or anything else, we are what we are.

Hey I best get off my soapbox lol

Cheers
Herne

#62 _ToranaGuy_

_ToranaGuy_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:00 AM

Fair call Herne!

Just wish our govt was more worried about affairs @ home than abroad... Your priorities should be @ home, then secondary are abroad....

Screw the rag head oil cartel's trying to screw the world. We have the technology, we have the industry and capabilities to do something about breaking our dependance on rag head oil, yet our govt hasn't got the balls / intestinal strenght to do it...

The ball has started rolling for blending ethanol into our fuels, but i still see too little of it in retail outlets and it's not that much of a saving. Atleast 10% means 10% less oil imported, but we need to do better than that.

I don't like being so pesimistic but i can see the price of petrol, lpg & diesel causing another recession in this country if prices keep rising for the next 6 - 12 mths like they have over the last 12mths.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

#63 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:31 AM

We are in the same boat over here in NZ. It seems every week there is a new "Record High" in petrol prices. It just pisses me off to the Max. What makes it worse is I bet the fuel company directors are probably driving gas guzzling jags and aston martins due to thier huge salaries.

#64 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:48 AM

^^^ U mean not like our economic Torana's yeah lol ;) ( of course I jest)

Cheers
Herne

#65 _efi-202_

_efi-202_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:26 AM

its interesting that apparently we sit on the worlds largest fields of natural gas yet we still purchase oil from overseas, i.e. middle east, to power our nearly 100 year old combustion engines? why cant the money spent on things like olympic/commonwealth games, iraq wars and terror wars be spent on research grants for holden/ford/whoever to introduce alternative fuels. Gas is available so why dont cant they release already gas converted cars or at least as an option? gas, canola oil, even charcol can be made to fuel combustion engines but car companies are still not implementing the technology, perhaps subsidies would help get the ball rolling. With a failing economy i would assume most aussies would agree that we need a shift from the americanised "globalism" to "localism" so world affairs do not corrupt our economy and lifestyles!

on the other hand, everyday i drive 3 km's to work and see every car with a single driver. V8's v6s turbo's. Is the problem with the price of fuel or are we too comfortable driving when the alternative is a smelly over loaded, over priced bus or train? Alot of new estates are located outside CBD's and lots of people drive at least 20 mins to get to work. Traffic jams just use up petrol, so the roads are over used and petrol is over priced. there are no corner stores to get milk and bread so we need to drive to the shops. If the bus was free and on time i would catch it, but $2.60 just to get to work each day.

i guess in the end everyone can have a go at "tea towels" as they are easy targets, when there are alternatives to driving everywhere. the gorvenment just needs to pull their finger out their @ss and make some real decisions not just fighting about who said what and why somebody send a letter on an old letter head (watch question time and see what our government REALLY argues about). There are solutions to these problems but as mentioned b4, little johny has no balls do make the hard decisions. I bet pauline hanson wouldnt have problems making the decision to use local products and industries. lol. (lets not argue about her policies shall we)

#66 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:44 AM

Regardless of what people thught of pauline she had her heart in the right place and that was to look after Australia first and then do the handouts with what was left, not bad in my books.....

In the UK now and probably other places they are doing a lot of work with Bio Diesel, it's made from such substances as used cooking oil etc! In past times the diesel has had a bad name due to rattly smoke billowing engines but this is no longer the case yet I have not heard mention of bio diesel nor have I heard manufacturers talking about this and actually making cars to run on it.

We could be making gas run cars and this could mean LPG or natural gas, we could be doing a lot of things but we appear not to be. The oil companies have a big hold over what we produce and we the battler are not the winner here...

Sugar cane is grown in many places around the world but very little goes towards fuel.

Doesn't matter who has the balls or not, Howard, Beasley or Hanson because it seems higher powers play their part to see the status quo of oil is maintained.
We will eventually get alternative fuels but what will their price be?? Nothing like what we would like I bet, seems we are doomed to be ripped off no matter what fuel we use.

Cheers
Herne

#67 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:46 AM

*Snipped* With a failing economy i would assume most aussies would agree that we need a shift from the americanised "globalism" to "localism" so world affairs do not corrupt our economy and lifestyles!

*Snipped*..... too comfortable driving when the alternative is a smelly over loaded, over priced bus or train? *Snipped* If the bus was free and on time i would catch it, but $2.60 just to get to work each day.

*Snipped* I bet pauline hanson wouldnt have problems making the decision to use local products and industries. lol. (lets not argue about her policies shall we)

I'd like to say thank you for a well worded and very sane reponse to the topic!

:clap: :clap:

My thoughts on a few of the points you raised are as follows.
Localism needs to be brough to the fore and as others have said we really need to look after ourselves before we strut around to the rest of the world about how good we are. I really believe we need to impress our own citizens before those of the world.

The point you raised about public transport i belive is a major contributor to the problems that our large cities face each day. If you look back to when they Sydney harbour Bridge was designed and built ( 1926 i belive??), there was 6 lanes on the main deck, with provision to hang 4 more lanes ( 2 each side) from it. Yes.. this was thie thinking in the early 1900s when there were a total of around 3000 cars on sydney's roads at the time? ( Figues taken from my poor memory so may not be 100% accurate!). In 2000 the M5 East tunnel was opened by the long time State premier Bob Carr. You guessed it... 2 lanes each way ( Not to mention the other faults of that tunnel that i wont discuss). As others have said, if the Harbour bridge had been designed by Bob Carr, it would have been 1 lane each way!
Not only do they not think ahead when designing critical public infrastructure, they refuse to spend any money on maintaining what little public equipment is left. Look at the terrible state of the rail and bus networks across Sydney. I know that my better half spends an hour each day (Assuming there are no stuffups/murders/hooligans/breakdowns/signal failures/high or low temperatures to stop the train et.al.) to get to and from work, for what ammounts to no more than a 25 minute drive each way. You wonder why people drive?? I dont.

I dont think pauline had all the answers... but i belive that her attitude was Correct. Look after yourself before any other, get your own affairs right before you cast criticism to others, and i belive that things could be done alot differently than the current commonwealth and ( more importantly!!) State Governments are doing them currently.

Its too easy to blame "Jackboot Johnny" for all the problems we face, but remeber, Its the state Government that creates alot of teh taxes/levies/surcharges/ etc on our daily lives. Its funny that QLD can afford to give an 8Cpl rebate to its citizens while Sydney cannot even though its been proven that we are the most highly taxed state in the country. Keep an eye on your State parliament people, its not primarily the commonwealth who are screwing us!!

Regards
Tiny.

#68 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:27 AM

Guys think of all the +ve's that higher fuel prices will give us, rather than the short term effect on your hip pocket in maintaining your present lifestyle/habits. It forces the government(from pressure from the people) to address the energy, transport, suburban sprawl problem for one.
I wont make a list, you can do that for yourselves.

#69 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:36 AM

Devils: I agree with what your saying in that it'll force the government to do something... But going from recent histroy that'll only mean more money from our pockets!

Ive got a feeling it'll come to things like :
"Train fares rise to cover cost of fixing the network"
"Bus fares rise to cover new fleet of CNG powered busses"
"Tolls rise on all roads to 'deter' people from dirivng.. take public transport instead"

The list could go on i belive!

Call me a pessemist but i believe I'm a realist. The last thing were ever going to hear is " THe government all take a pay cut to give more back to the people"...

Realist....

#70 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:51 AM

Hi Guys.

Well said, Tiny.

Just to add to your comments regarding the shear incompetence & lack of vision our current crop of state politicians display.

A close friend of mine was involved with the planning of the Sydney Harbour Tunnel, which is one of the better pieces of infrastructure seen lately in Sydney. This isn't that long time ago, late 80s from memory.

At the time I think the total cost of the project was around $700 million. The project finished on budget & on time. In the planning stages they were considering the merits of 2 lanes each way or 3 lanes each way. The cost of the extra lane each way was to have added around 10% to the project's cost, that's right $70 million to increase its size by 50%.

Now $70 million as a proportion of the state budget is peanuts, the pollies spend more than this on wining & dining annually.

The idea was knocked on the head because, the pollies (mostly rabid greenies & lefties) considered that by the year 2000 we wouldn't be depending on cars to get around. I don't know what ideas they had as alternatives but it goes to show as you how they think. In the 30s they put 6 lanes on the Harbour Bridge with room for expansion, now all we have is badly planned roads with lower speed limits than a century ago & speed humps, roundabouts & all sorts of other 'traffic calming' devices, not to mention toll roads & revenue raising cameras. Should I go on or just stop there before my blood starts to boil.

Dr Terry.

#71 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:34 PM

Dr Terry, Once again i applaud your comments. :clap: :clap:

70 Million extra to do it right.. That beggars belief...Its not like you can add lanes to a tunnel that's been laid at the bottom of the harbour, Nor the M5 Tunnel that was bored using the same machine that did the Channel Tunnel and the Railway link past the airport. Its not just a case of whipping an extra lane on.. it just cant be done!

My father is of Italian decent, and he visited italy in his worldly travels and spoke with a guy working on a road there and asked why they were doing something so stupid as what they were doing. ( I dont recall what it was.. I think it was a 90 degree corner where the road could have been made stright and less dangerous). The Guy's answer was " if we did it propperly now, How is my son going to have a job and eat"... TO say the least dad was dumbstruck. it seems that this type of thinking is ingrained in the politicians of today.

Mate what youve said is spot on. I spend more time accelerating and decelerating for speed humps and roundabouts ( I prefer these to those FRICKING humps), chicanes etc etc etc than cruising at a fuel efficient speed.

THe M5 isnt a freeway.. we all know that.. it IS a TOLLway and also a mobile carpark. From 6Am till around 10-10:30 EVERY MORNING the tunnel moves at no more than 40Kph. If anyone's driven it they would know its a chokign nightmar of exhaust gasses and diesel smoke. In short its a JOKE.

If we were able to travel at a reasonably constant speed of around 100Kph its been proven that a propperly maintainted and tuned car emits the least ammount of pollution at these speeds. Think about that in relation to the environment, Fuel consumption, General driver's mental health etc!

BUT... it would cost another 70million to do it right... woudlnt it...
Morons.

I'll do all i can at every election to vote in some common sense, but i belive that no matter WHO is elected were still going to get shafted..

P.S - I wouldnt mind paying the tax we do today if we saw facilities and infratructure that WORKS. I'd pay for a train that ran on time, was safe and reliable. I'd even pay the tolls they charge now for roads that WORKED. Hell.. I'd even pay the % of tax that is currently on petrol IF WE HAD STUFF THAT WORKED!!!!

/end of Rant.

#72 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:36 PM

OH... as an afterthought...

Has anyone ever noticed that as soon as REAL issues are raised like these, the absolute SHIT state of the hospitals, rail system, taxation system etc... the media break out into shouts of higher fuel prices, and bleat on about speeding drivers killing themselves etc...

Propoganda to take the public's mind from the real issues??
I'll let you decide.

#73 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:58 PM

tiny wrote
Ive got a feeling it'll come to things like :
"Train fares rise to cover cost of fixing the network"
"Bus fares rise to cosver new fleet of CNG powered busses"
"Tolls rise on all roads to 'deter' people from dirivng.. take public transport intead"

i was thinking if all this happens what does it mean for the goverment, oh dear MORE MONEY ROLLING THROUGH THE DOORS, which is why they dont give a sh*t they have nothing to loose and everything to gain,no wonder they arnt trying too hard to fix things why should they? they are all quite comfy thanks,and they dont pay for petrol out of their income.

#74 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:08 PM

the sooner they are made uncomfortable the sooner they might do something.when you earn a 100k plus a year and have a fuel card,travel bonuses,and other extras it wont quite seem such a big issue,and a 100k a year is just the shit kickers in the big house on the hill in canberra. the big boys get alot more than that. they need to be kicked off their comfy chair and out in the cold for awhile bet they would change their priorortys pretty quickly then.

#75 _efi-202_

_efi-202_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:14 PM

the PM earns $100k a year tax free. their ad campaigns on the other hand :<_<:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users