HQ Statesman

• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#226 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

Keen to see this car painted, great work!! Where in Dunedin are you getting the car painted? My painter mate is from Dunedin, done his apprenticeship there etc & has worked in a few shops there too.

#227 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

So am I! It's getting painted by a guy called Adam Keen. He's just got his own place in Green Island but we will hire a booth from one of the bigger places in town to get the top coat done. Also know the Croaker brothers (one of em worked in Perth for a while) who are both well known panelbeaters in town.

Think next project I'll be inclined to do all of the work up till getting the top coat done. Means I will have to invest in some quality water traps...

Cheers

Edited by nzstato, 06 November 2011 - 08:31 AM.

#228 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

I think i've heard my mate mention the name Croaker before. He went back to NZ in febuary this year & worked in a couple of shops until an old work collegue of our's who runs a shop here in Sydney convinced him to return to Oz in may. Ask your guys if they know Scott Webster. Probably the best painter i've worked with & he's the guy who'll be laying the paint down on my SL/R. Like you, i generally prefer to do as much of the panel, prep, hi-fill work etc on my cars (i have a decent filter/water trap on my compressor) but this time Scott is doing all the painting side of things, i'm only applying the etch primer.

#229 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Next time I see one of them I'll ask about your mate. We're in the same car club so it wont be long before I track him down. Maybe when Scott is over next you can tell him to look me up, I need someone to show me how to spraypaint properly...

Back doors (plus the nosecone and guards) have been rubbed down, few spots required a bit of dolphin glaze.

Posted Image

Now got the boot

Posted Image

and the front doors to go...

Posted Image

And decisions decisions...

Posted Image

Shell is going in this weekend for filler coat, as long as the painter gets this ford bonus out of his shop...

#230 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

Picked up the shell from the painters tonight. Its come out alright in the filler coat, possibly not peeerfect but thats more my fault. Will block it down in the next day or two, all of the hanging panels are now done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#231 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

Its looking good. I've loved all your repairs through this project.

#232 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:00 AM

http://www.youtube.c...?v=Wh_70Xm9FgE

Edited by nzstato, 06 December 2011 - 07:00 AM.

#233 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

Back to the painters today... Seen a test card of the colour, looks mint. Should get the jams sprayed this week

Posted Image

Posted Image

#234 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Awesome.

Loks strit is brew.

Cheers.

#235 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

^ Gittin straigrr..

I scotched the jams the other day and got sprayed yesterday. Today was spent fitting all the hanging panels and lining everything up. Hasnt gone too bad and my anal retentive attitude has lead to some pretty decent panel gaps for a first timer. The colour is exactly what I wanted, it looks black inside but out in the sun the blue kicks out and the pearl looks really smick. Will sand the rest back on monday and it's off to the booth sometime next week...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#236 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

Hussle Hussle Finish it for xmas mate

#237 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

Sweet as! Not long now

#238 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

Sixy.

#239 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

Today, after a few hours of sanding...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

#240 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

Well, big update and what a mission to get here.

Last week I spent a few days at the painters, rubbing down the last of the primer. We needed to take it offsite to get it done in a both (my guy doesnt have a booth at his shop). Organised it with a place just one block down the way for 5pm on thursday. That time came and went, drove down to see what the story was and he reckens its not going to be free till maybe 10am tomrrow. Well crap, (the thought of wetting the floor and just spraying it in the workshop did cross our minds) few phone calls later and we had another booth jacked up for 8am the following day. I had to go away that day so I left it with the painter. Got a call bout 11am saying the car looks great but they cant get the damn thing started. Ended up towing it back to the workshop, I was pissed to say the least. Went and saw it that night and it did look the goods. Came in the following day to diagnose the problem, was a problem with the imobiliser so I just bypassed it and will redo the wiring again. We spend the next few hours with the cut and polish and finally rolled in back into my shed at 4.30pm christmas eve, Phew.

Couldnt help myself so today on goes the rims and the tail pipes, the chrome is really going to make this car. It may look pretty dark in the photos and it is essentially black in the shade but in the sun the blue really comes out and you can see the pearl shimmer. I couldnt be happier.

Posted Image

Posted Image

More photos and updates to come tomorrow...

#241 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

Looks mint!

#242 _toranatime_

_toranatime_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

top job mate. you've put so much work into it but it really pays off in the end.

cheers

#243 _Brad1979UC_

_Brad1979UC_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:05 AM

whoa! Real nice job....now re-assembly is the best part!

#244 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

Thanks fellas

Been working on it on and off over the last few days. Got all of the door mechanisms in and pretty much all of the exterior trim minus the window surrounds. All of the wiring has been mostly hidden in the engine bay and I've wrapped all of the cables in that plastic crinkle stuff. If you remember a few pages back I modified the heater wiring, well I must have done something right as a rewired the loom on the cabin side of the body connector and it works perfectcally. My dads been helping me also and we've just starting cutting out the underlay to fit. Mum has also repaired a few rips in the headlining.

Some progress...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also been repairing some of the badges since I'm too cheap to buy new ones. Bit of time with the butane torch and the solder and I had a full set again..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#245 _Herbinator_

_Herbinator_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

Great job Sam. good to see all the hard work paying off.

#246 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

Pretty much done as much as I can at the moment. Been through with a test light and double checked all the electricals in the car, all are working. Fitted about half of the interior.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sad to say I'm pretty dissapointed with the carpet I bought from rare spares, think next time I'll order one from knox.

Have ordered and waiting on...

Chrome head bolts (so I can fit the rear bumper)
Rear door seal
1/4 window seal
Rear outer weather strips

#247 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

Yea i don't think rare spares quality is that crash hot to some of the other places in a lot of their stuff, i don't know if they used to be good either never really had anything to do with them until now. But thats just my opinion, there is a lot more places to look for things now aswell which is a bonus.

Nice to see it's comming along well.

#248 _hqlden_

_hqlden_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Good luck with resto
our is a wb and photos are posted we were lucky with our buy on eBay and flew over to Melbourne then drove her home statos are cool

#249 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

Had a morning scratching my head trying to figure out the washer/wiper motor assembly. I had two units, neither of which were working properly. Tested continuity on the whole system and pulled apart/cleaned the switch assembly. Ended up pulling apart the two units I had and swapping the bits over which were good to make one working unit. The game of today is to find the faults with the unit below (hint: there are 3)

Posted Image

Have also hooked up my central locking system (it works) since I detest having to lean over and unlock a door (I'm lazy like that)

Also have sprayed cavity wax in every little crevice I can find in the car. Seems to be alright stuff, it is flowing out of every small hole and dries in a day to leave a waxy film (am on a second spraying now)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#250 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

Mmm cavity wax. I did that to mine two weekends ago, Though i did it with a 20lt drum and a body deadner gun borroewd from work lol.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users