HQ Statesman

• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#126 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:21 AM

Finished up the guards, gave em a beat and a file, now stripped the nose cone (well most of it)

Posted Image

Found a few bits of rust for good measure

Posted Image

Posted Image

By the looks of things this has been involved in a bit of an accident, pretty bad dent (lots of creases in the metal) which has been bashed out and filled with bog.

Posted Image

But never fear, here I am about half way through the repair

Posted Image

And this is pretty much finished. Someone previously has moved the bags from the top of the cone to lower down, I liked the look so I welded up the left over holes (rather than have them plugged with bog)

Posted Image

Passenger side corner is even worse. Worse so there are areas where the metal is about to tear.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is about half way through, havent gone for the final planish. I'm having to straighten up areas then weld up tears so I dont ruin the lot.

Posted Image

#127 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:27 AM

Nice work

#128 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

Mostly fixed up the nose (few pieces of rust etc.) and got it as straight as it will ever be. Today was a public holiday and I needed some cheering up so I the idea to hang some panels crossed my mind...

Posted Image

Posted Image

The corner isnt too bad (at least it's the best I can get it so far. I'm afraid that if I try and planish it too far that I'll ruin it since there are some areas which are quite heavily folded. Might just have to accept a bit of filler in this region.

Posted Image

Plan is to sort the gaps, figure out the bits that need cut and welded, then pull the hole lot to pieces, strip the hard to get places then crack out the dollys and panel file.

In the back of my mind I had the thought that the cowls weren't right, it was the first area I attempted to fix and I was a bit 'green' at the ol' panel beating at the time. Coupled with the fact that the patch panels I bout were rubbish the result is less than pleasing...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I mean I am only human after all...

So I lined everything up surrounding the region (i.e. glass,door, guard and chrome) and got to fixing it properly. The whole lot needs to be pulled down and slightly widened.

Posted Image

And this where we're at as of this evening.
Peace out...

#129 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:27 PM

Take a look at the gaps at the top front of the doors on some other cars and you won't feel so bad. I won't discourage you on fixing them though, one of those details that can really make all the difference because you know its there...

#130 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:36 PM

Take a look at the gaps at the top front of the doors on some other cars and you won't feel so bad. I won't discourage you on fixing them though, one of those details that can really make all the difference because you know its there...

Spose you're right, every time one of my mates say "wow cool old (HQ, valiant, XY etc) I immediately look at the gaps and see how much work has gone into them. Ran into a whole line of classics at the Waikaka pub with all new paint jobs and barely any of the panels lined up. Incidentally it sounds like this is one of the areas that seems to never gap up right with HQs so I want to put some time into it.

Edited by nzstato, 21 March 2011 - 06:38 PM.

#131 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

Ill take some pics of the gaps of my statto for you for reference on how crap the stock gaps are. :).

#132 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

Well I hope to try and get mine better than how it was

Not too much action this week, have the cowl panels to pretty much where I want them (or as good as I can get it

Posted Image

Posted Image

Been fixing the gaps round the front end (just a gentle 'massaging' of the panels) but have a feeling my radiation support panel (and consequently the entire front end) is way too low. I reused the rubber spacers that attach to the subframe and have a feeling they are a little squashed. Really didn't want to have to buy new ones since they seem rather pricey to me, oh well, keeping on truckin...

#133 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

nice job on the nosecone repair! and its definately worth the extra effort of getting all the panel gaps right. good work!

#134 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:28 PM

well al tryed to get that rain gutter out, but i sent the car to the scrappers before he could finish... as i dont live at my own house and the parents hate the fact that i bring "parts cars" home all the time...

lol
yeah sorry m8t
ran out of 9" discs and the small grinder died taking floor pans out for a m8t
and joshie took his time getting new ones
me and a m8t had to do other things and fix other cars :(
i still need cuts etc for mine and i'm sure i'll get a parts car in the future for that purporse

just a fyi on the nosecone issue
all the hq premier nose needs is the front grille seperating bar welded in and it's the same as a stato
looks like that car has had a sculper work on it at some stage :(

#135 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

I'll good m8, I'm sure I'll be able to pick up a cut out for that area locally. Yea I thought the grills were much the same. The thought did cross my mind to buy just a single headlight one and cut some bits out of it but think the repair (although not perfect) will do the job. I can say one thing, I'd be able to make a frocking big sandcastle with all of the bog I've stripped off !

#136 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

Looks like top work to me so far, nose cone repair looks good too. When doing similar repairs like this i too concentrate on getting the alignment & overall shape perfect more so than trying to completely metal finish them. Personally i'd rather apply a skim of filler to finish them off & know there is still plenty of metal left to repair if the panel gets damaged again in the future. Again, top work & great project. Kudos for the passion & pride in your workmanship. Cheers Matt

#137 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:25 AM

Cheers Matt, that means alot I've used your builds as some inspiration on what to aim for regarding the quality of repairs and metal finish. Although this is new to me I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I think you're right about the nosecone, the damaged metal in the corner is quite thing in areas and if I tried to planish it any more I'm sure I'd screw it . It's mostly the right shape so I'm sure a little bit of filler will be acceptable. Any more words of advice are welcome.

#138 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

yeah some great work happening there man.

#139 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

Haven't been able to spend much time on it this week but this is what we've accomplished since last time.

Two guards, file finish (give or take)

Posted Image

And about halfway through straightening this door

Posted Image

#140 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

And I thought it couldnt't get any worse...

Posted Image

Posted Image

There was a solid INCH of filler over this repair, whoever did it has gone to alot of effort to hind their handywork (as with every other bloody repair)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Least I know I can make the profiles for the inner frame

Posted Image

Going to have to replace the skin in the corner too, and just when I thought I was getting somewhere...

#141 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:10 PM

Yay fun!!!

You have been doing great thus far mate.

Brilliant work.

Cheers.

#142 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:29 PM

Geeze Bomber I really need to be channeling your enthusiasm, wanna take a wee holiday to come paint the bloody thing? Save me a hassle.:surrenderwave:

#143 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

Always wanted to see Unzud.

Need a holiday.

Could be arranged.

Cheers.

#144 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:06 PM

Well if ya ever decide to there will always be a beer waiting.

#145 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:29 PM

Beer and free accom and we will be getting closer to the deal.....Pay airfares and im all yours.

Cheers.

#146 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

and i got a spare one of those out the back :)
pitty your on the wrong side of the ditch

#147 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:54 PM

what, a spare me???

#148 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

lol
i'd have no beer if you where out in my backyard dj :)
ment a boot lid doh :)

#149 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:29 PM

i'd have no beer if you where out in my backyard dj :)

Touche.

#150 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:47 AM

Beer and accom is easy, flights across the ditch are nothing these days and you rich Aussies have plenty of money :Buddy:.

Spose having a bomber out the back to do all ya work for ya would be useful, just have to beat the crap out of him every so often to keep him all in line.

I've had a wee look round and there are none of these up for sale in my area (HQ bits are exactly falling out of the trees) so I think I'll just fix what I have at hand....:furious:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users