- - - - -

Lj 4 door

• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

#51 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

Went too....Some rare spars joint, forget which one but anyways.

Bought some stuff.

Posted Image

Posted Image
There all that i needed but i couldn't find them seperate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Blinkers i had wer smashed so i needed whole new ones.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
These wer rusted out completly...One of them needs to be bent a bit more but i supose we can do that.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
These are a bit mangled to but i'm getting a panel beater to put them in so they can figure it out.

#52 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Awesome project mate.

Cheers.

#53 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

Awesome project mate.

Cheers.

Thanks mate.

Um few questions for whoever looks.
Got a guess of a respray at around 5-6000 including putting in the flutes, Does that sound about right? (first project so i have no idea)
And with the flutes i bought, How do you put them in, They have that lip around the edge of it so it it meant to be spot welded or whatever...

thanks

#54 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Great thread. This is my favourite line though:

...or someones handy work of fully welding the exhaust so its hard to get out.

... that and the one about the dogs, LOL!
Keep up the great work!

#55 _hp179block_

_hp179block_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

Got a guess of a respray at around 5-6000 including putting in the flutes, Does that sound about right? (first project so i have no idea)
And with the flutes i bought, How do you put them in, They have that lip around the edge of it so it it meant to be spot welded or whatever...

thanks

$6000 is about right so far as I can see. I paid that to have mine painted and I've known the person for 5 years. Otherwise I was quoted $10,000 elsewhere. Generally the problem I found was finding someone who wanted to do it to start with!

For mine, most of the body work was done but they always want to sand the primer back anyway. It included sandblasting of boot lid, repair of a rust section I hadn't found and sorting a couple of spots I couldn't get right.

#56 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

thanks

G/day Hamo

I would expect for 5k-6k you won't get a bare metal respray and be prepared for the cost to move upwards if they find rust that wasn't obvious before they started.

With the guard flutes you can either cut a hole so the recessed lip rests against the inside of the guard and then mig or oxy weld them in or trim off the recessed lip and butt weld them in.

Cheers
Dave.

#57 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

thanks

$6000 is about right so far as I can see. I paid that to have mine painted and I've known the person for 5 years. Otherwise I was quoted $10,000 elsewhere. Generally the problem I found was finding someone who wanted to do it to start with!

For mine, most of the body work was done but they always want to sand the primer back anyway. It included sandblasting of boot lid, repair of a rust section I hadn't found and sorting a couple of spots I couldn't get right.

Yea there is one guy in Bowral that apparently doesn't think there is much money in the older cars and tends to avoid them. We know a Sandblaster thats going to do the whole car for us a bit cheaper hopefully which will do me favours, i only have about 3000 at the momment.
I prob wouldn't do any body work on mine on the outside, It's my first project and i plan to keep the car for a long time so i want it done right rather than stuffing it up.
Thanks for the reply.

thanks

G/day Hamo

I would expect for 5k-6k you won't get a bare metal respray and be prepared for the cost to move upwards if they find rust that wasn't obvious before they started.

With the guard flutes you can either cut a hole so the recessed lip rests against the inside of the guard and then mig or oxy weld them in or trim off the recessed lip and butt weld them in.

Cheers
Dave.

Okie dokie, Thanks for that mate.

#58 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Haven't dont much latley still realing in the cash slowly.

Found a pic of a similar outcome that i wanted to achieve, Member from the canberra torana club

Posted Image

#59 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

Anyways, bored shitless i can't do anything on my car until i get about 2800 more dollars then i can sandblast/paint it all up.

So i decided to see if i can do one of my old taillight surrounds up (ithink i saw someone on here do it in a thread)

So here it is thus far.
Going to finish cleaning it up and painting it, See if i can get a few more dents out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

First time doing this so i hope it doesn't turn out crap and put me off.

#60 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

so anyways turns out i suck at repairing tail light surrounds and i never plan on doing it again.

Every time i tried to get a dent out i made it worse, which overall was quite funny.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got to touch up the paint tomorrow....but anyways.

Posted Image

Poor thing

Edited by Hamo, 24 March 2011 - 03:00 PM.

#61 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

removed front and rear windows...and the head lining

Here is the damage

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Hamo, 25 April 2011 - 03:55 PM.

#62 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

Wow, took me forever to find this silly thread.
Anyways bought some stuff (still waiting on a part from rarespares that has taken since june)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Big tank, It's on my bed because the garage has no room, dad bought the fuel cap for me when i bought the tank/filler neck and the guys threw in the window bits for free.......Might have to rent one of those storage sheds...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

First time welding something properly, Dad reckons it's bird shit as a boilermaker would say.
Still have to do underneath, was raising the car up so i could fit but it fell which has left me a bit scared to touch it the past few weeks.

Posted Image

Covering the reverse switch, We had to replace it once we first got the car and dad and his mate decided instead of pulling out the gearbox they would drill a hole in the floor. Kept it so i could hit it out in the future if need be.

Posted Image
New floors have some rust, its been so longgggggggg.

Posted Image

Posted Image

mold?

And saw a car in a mag thats my recent inspiration.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#63 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

haha, awwwww schuks, thanks dude!

Its been a long while in the making and im absolutely wrapped with the feature!

#64 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

going well hamo...chris's car is the best 4 door out there....
how does the locking fuel cap fit??? as they seem to be value
for money
cheers johnno

#65 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:55 AM

haha, awwwww schuks, thanks dude!

Its been a long while in the making and im absolutely wrapped with the feature!

How much did it all cost?
Magazine didn't tell me.....Just after a rough idea thats all.
I like it alotttttttttttttttttt

going well hamo...chris's car is the best 4 door out there....
how does the locking fuel cap fit??? as they seem to be value
for money
cheers johnno

I checked the cap in the new filler neck i got and it seems to fit aswell as the previous one i had, It was brocken and didnt have the swivel cover.
I haven't sorta checked it all properly but im pretty sure it will do the job.
Posted Image

(i think thats what you were asking)
The white bit in the pic presses up hard against the mouth of the filler stoping anything getting out, I can get a pic of it on the neck if you like?

Edited by Hamo, 23 August 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#66 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

Well I cant give exacts,

But initially it was about 10k, that had it fully trimmed, painted, mild engine etc etc.

Then another 2500 when I rebuilt the engine and changed the trim (old one only had about 20000kms on it anyway)

But all up itd probably nudge 20k total (being realistic, but spread over the last 8 years and including the current rebuild

#67 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

You have been asking how much to paint a car. Considering your age and experience, you have done a great job on the rust repairs. What makes you think you cant do it yourself?

$6000 buys a lot of tools . . .

cheers
Glenn

#68 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

Well I cant give exacts,

But initially it was about 10k, that had it fully trimmed, painted, mild engine etc etc.

Then another 2500 when I rebuilt the engine and changed the trim (old one only had about 20000kms on it anyway)

But all up itd probably nudge 20k total (being realistic, but spread over the last 8 years and including the current rebuild

Ok thanks for that. Did you do most of it yourself aswell or not?

You have been asking how much to paint a car. Considering your age and experience, you have done a great job on the rust repairs. What makes you think you cant do it yourself?

$6000 buys a lot of tools . . .

cheers
Glenn

I'd like to do a bit more myself but the car is outside i would probably give it a bit more of a go if it was in a proper shed so i could leave it if i had to go somewhere quickly.....I could ask Neil Freeman to possibly leave it their (sandblasters)(with a big shed) but he already has some other crap he doesn't want their. Also tried making a replacment pannel from scratch for wer the spare wheel goes, Didn't turn out to bad but i did the frOcking thing back to front.
The front valance and possibly some other things i might have a go myself at aswell, but most of its about space because if i bought most of the tools i would still have nowhere to put them unfortunatly.

I was thinking of doing a panel beating corse thing too, Finish year 12 soon and don't really have anything major planned at the momment.

Edited by Hamo, 23 August 2011 - 04:41 PM.

#69 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

Yeah did heaps myself or at mates rates.

20k could be a bit much actually, more 15 actually (karlie told me 20 was too much lol she is the money tracker after all)

#70 _sting_

_sting_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:14 PM

its the old story you only get what you pay for if you want a 5 to 6 grand job good luck ,how far do you want them to go with it the more you do the more you are going to save if i had to pay for mine i would say i would be lucky to get away with 15 to 20 i would say thank god my brotherinlaw owns a panel shop . im down working on my car all the time i have lost count off the hours i have done on it im at a stage now im waiting on the panel beaters they are only doing it on there spare time.Good luck with it any way and have fun doing it cheers sting

#71 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:43 PM

Yeah did heaps myself or at mates rates.

20k could be a bit much actually, more 15 actually (karlie told me 20 was too much lol she is the money tracker after all)

haha okie dokie

its the old story you only get what you pay for if you want a 5 to 6 grand job good luck ,how far do you want them to go with it the more you do the more you are going to save if i had to pay for mine i would say i would be lucky to get away with 15 to 20 i would say thank god my brotherinlaw owns a panel shop . im down working on my car all the time i have lost count off the hours i have done on it im at a stage now im waiting on the panel beaters they are only doing it on there spare time.Good luck with it any way and have fun doing it cheers sting

yea, hopefully i can manage to do some on my own. Ive done all the bushes and everything myself. And we know a sandblaster so we get it a bit cheap, he's done some things for free aswell.

ANYWAYS
today i went on a mission to look at how much bog i had on the right rear and im pissed off now. Here are the pics:

Posted Image
First off the tools of a professional.(AKA: me)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Closer inspection:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Yea so im.....anoyed but anywas, The rest seems fine just in that sorta area....Im thinking it may of been in a wee crash.

Posted Image

No paint so i hope it doesn't frOcking rain again.

#72 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:21 PM

Looks like a reversing over a letter box incident.

Looks easy fixed though mate. Good luck.

#73 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:04 PM

Looks like a reversing over a letter box incident.

Looks easy fixed though mate. Good luck.

Yea i might try give this one a go, See what happens. If i stuff up the panel beaters can fix it.

#74 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

Yea i might try give this one a go, See what happens. If i stuff up the panel beaters can fix it.

Looks pretty straight forward, just hammer/dollying it out as best as you can and then skim filling it. Without an oxy, it would be extremely hard to get it perfectly smooth. But easy enough for you to fix I reckon.

#75 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

Looks pretty straight forward, just hammer/dollying it out as best as you can and then skim filling it. Without an oxy, it would be extremely hard to get it perfectly smooth. But easy enough for you to fix I reckon.

Yea for that lower area with that 20mm lip for some jacked up reason i might get a replacement pannel.

ANYWAYS
So after some motivation i decided to work on my panel skillz so my rear floor pan was all dinted and a bit rusty so i decided to cut it out and practice a bit more welding (not dont yet)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
mm dirt

Posted Image

Posted Image
Some idiot didn't measure it right.

Posted Image

Posted Image