- - - - -

Lj 4 door

• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

#101 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

excellent to watch, I am surprised by your dedication most teenagers would have lost interest with so much work / setbacks and with the conditions you work under would try any one's patience.
I will keep watching, want to see the finished pics

Yea it gets anoying working on the driveway and eveything, if you drop a nut or a screw you tend to not find it cause it just rolls down the driveway and into the bushes. But i want to see the car finished plus looking at a lot of the cars on this give me inspiration to keep going. Not all teenagers are lazy-

ANYWAYS 2nd hand mig we got off a mate just needs a new o ring in it for the gas and it should work properly. Otherwise its about 200 bucks for a whole new trigger asembly.

#102 _jay79_

_jay79_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hey mate any updates? keen to see more

#103 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

Hey mate any updates? keen to see more

Not yet unfortunatly.
Planned on possibly fixing up the floor pans i cut holes in over xmas for something to do (if i can get the welder fixed and time off work)....Still trying to save that extra bit of cash. All i really need to do now is get it sandblastered then i can put all the front guards back on and start getting it on the road. :party:

HOPEFULLY have it on the road for my bday (24th april)
But had a few more set backs then i planned so hopefully i wont have anymore.

Thanks for the post.

Edited by Hamo, 06 December 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#104 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

Only 700 to go until i have 6k....Hopefully that will be close to enough to get it all finished.

Planning on finishing the rear floors tomorrow.

(bump to remind me)

ALSO: Got my green p plates finaly.

Only 16 days left on red ones lol.

Edited by Hamo, 30 December 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#105 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Most of the panel beaters up here don't do many older cars and tend to lean towards smash repairs etc, which is fair enough.

But i got another quote of 8-12k to do the torrie (thats with me doing majority of panel work and them cleaning it up and painting inside and out)

Have a few more places to ask around, i only have 6k atm.

Might get it to sandblasters soon, he said we could store it there (he has a big shed) so i can get it out of the weather.

Edited by Hamo, 20 January 2012 - 11:56 AM.

#106 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

Get it blasted and primed then it can sit in his shed for a little while until you have a shelter to put it in. Are you painting it in 2pk or acrylic?

#107 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

Get it blasted and primed then it can sit in his shed for a little while until you have a shelter to put it in. Are you painting it in 2pk or acrylic?

My knowladge on these things is minimal, what would you recomend

#108 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Well acrylic is damn easy to paint... You could do that yourself and sav yourself a shit load of money... Just whether you have a good spot to store it whilst you do it.

If you are going a flat colour that would be the go IMO, but if you want a good metallic I'd leave it for someone else to do.

#109 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

yeah hamo 6 k can go along way if you do the lot. keep making your way with the metal while saving the coins then start into the painting side. even if you can get it primed and preped and get some one else to paint then fair enough. but once you start using a gun in the priming you will develop enough confidence to have a go at painting. alot of people on here love acrylic for good reason it is easy to apply and user freindly. if doing it your self then try to go a solid colour to start with. im a 2k person. started off doing acrylic but only like to use 2k now. i have done enough cars to get to that point thou. keep up the good work mate.

#110 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

yeah hamo 6 k can go along way if you do the lot. keep making your way with the metal while saving the coins then start into the painting side. even if you can get it primed and preped and get some one else to paint then fair enough. but once you start using a gun in the priming you will develop enough confidence to have a go at painting. alot of people on here love acrylic for good reason it is easy to apply and user freindly. if doing it your self then try to go a solid colour to start with. im a 2k person. started off doing acrylic but only like to use 2k now. i have done enough cars to get to that point thou. keep up the good work mate.

The metal side im 90% sure i can do it all, plus dad is a boiler maker so he can help me a bit. Mind you he shit stirs about the metal being to thin all the time.

Im trying to leave all the paint to someone else (wether its a panel beater or someone else) I don't really have the room here to keep it undercover, the sandblasting place would probably be ideal but he is selling soon so i don't want to be a hassel to him and want to get it out of their asap (i think he is selling it once he has done my car/not 100% sure though)

Might buy a few things and give it a go, may just do in inside of the car and the underside and leave the main work to the pros.

#111 _jay79_

_jay79_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hey been a while just wondering how everythings going with the lj?

#112 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

Not to bad jason, i have about 5700 and my boss owes me over 1k (possibly 2k) So hopefully within the next month or so i can get it to the sandblasters and then off the the pannel beaters. Mum and dad are still thinking about offering me a small loan aswell which is good.

Did a massive clean in the garage the other day aswell so i could clean some more space to put it in there once its finished.

Mind you now under the house is a bit messy aswell but ill get it all sorted eventualy.

Still hoping to have it done for my birthday (april 24th) But it's getting slim now but ow well def have it done by the end of the year to what i want it to be. Im just going to put all the original stuff on the interior back in for now so i can just get it on the road and drive it for the first time then ill work on what im going to do with that maybe even have it done for the torana fest. (i think that is in sep isnt it?)

Dad still hasn't gotten around to getting the welder either. Im pretty sure he has found one though which is a tig and mig from what i understand but he picked an expensive one as he usualy does with most tools so he might be waiting for a bit more money.

Might get a few pics of the shed if i can be bothered. Just spent a whole day painting a smokers house. My lungs are #@$^%& and my arms arn't to crash hot either.

Thanks for reply.

Edited by Hamo, 23 February 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#113 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Good to see you working hard and saving up Hamo.

Looking forward to seeing this thing painted and you grinning from ear to ear.

#114 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

So am i, poor things rusting away in the drive way.
I literaly haven't spend my money on anything for a year or more now.

How many people do you think it would take to lift the car?
It's fully stripped with nothing in it and a few guards missing, Thinking of just lifting it onto a trailer to save putting the wheel and shit back on.

#115 _Moose lc_

_Moose lc_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

I'd think a fair few. 6 big lads with spines of steel or about 8 mere mortals......if you're not carrying too far. It could possibly be done with less but you'll bust your ring bits. I know they're not that big and you've cut a bit out of it, but my back still hasn't forgiven me for dumb stuff I did in my teens. I'm only in my (very) later 30s but it's not worth the heart ache, or back ache for that matter, later mate. Maybe a couple of beams or bars under the arches, okay I know you only have the back ones atm but you know what I mean, and lift it with jacks then push the trailer under it. That or the 8 guys, 2 a side at each end, and then the trailer under it.

Just my opinion of course. You may have some really big mates!

Oh, and an awesome effort with the whole thing. It's gotten me off my fat date and back into the car port. Turns out you dont need a shed after all. Who knew! Lol

#116 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

I'd think a fair few. 6 big lads with spines of steel or about 8 mere mortals......if you're not carrying too far. It could possibly be done with less but you'll bust your ring bits. I know they're not that big and you've cut a bit out of it, but my back still hasn't forgiven me for dumb stuff I did in my teens. I'm only in my (very) later 30s but it's not worth the heart ache, or back ache for that matter, later mate. Maybe a couple of beams or bars under the arches, okay I know you only have the back ones atm but you know what I mean, and lift it with jacks then push the trailer under it. That or the 8 guys, 2 a side at each end, and then the trailer under it.

Just my opinion of course. You may have some really big mates!

Oh, and an awesome effort with the whole thing. It's gotten me off my fat date and back into the car port. Turns out you dont need a shed after all. Who knew! Lol

Yea still finguring out how to transport it lol. Major issue is the slope of our driveway really, we live on the side of mt gibraltar so it's steep! Driveway is wide enough and dad used to just get the rescue truck up it under the power lines. So i don't want to try and slide it to much if you know what i mean (with the steepness), otherwise it will just shoot off down the hill.
One of dads mates owns a truck with a crane on it but the power line goes right up the middle of our driveway and im not sure he will be able to get under it (its a big crane)

Getting the trailer under it isnt a bad idea but its very close to the fence but at this stage it seems like the best plan of attack.

I don't know if an engine lifter could pick it up? Might also be a bit to risky with the slope of the driveway. Ill run a few things by dad and see what he says. Might get him and a few of his mates to tackle it but yea i have no frOcking idea what im going to do D;

I did a rough count of my money again the other day.

I have 5900 in the bank and im owed for 22 days work so i should be around the 8k mark so when i get paid im hopefully going to get it over their and start finishing it up which should be good.

#117 _Moose lc_

_Moose lc_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hmm. That's weird. I put up a comment yesterday and it's not here now? Oh well, gist of it was. You could prob use the engine lifter one end at a time to get it high enough. Could also get it out from the fence a bit at the same time to make room for the trailer. If you or your dad are any good at reversing trailers, then once it's backed under the body your tow car would stop it from buggering off down the mountain for you. Should be safe as houses. More or less! Hell of a lot easier than trying to pick it up anyway.

Keep up the great work mate.

#118 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hmm. That's weird. I put up a comment yesterday and it's not here now? Oh well, gist of it was. You could prob use the engine lifter one end at a time to get it high enough. Could also get it out from the fence a bit at the same time to make room for the trailer. If you or your dad are any good at reversing trailers, then once it's backed under the body your tow car would stop it from buggering off down the mountain for you. Should be safe as houses. More or less! Hell of a lot easier than trying to pick it up anyway.

Keep up the great work mate.

Yea dad used to drive trucks for a living so he can do it. I've already had a minor accident reversing a trailer. Mind you it was my first time.

I'd just have to borrow 2 engine lifters from somewhere or rent them.
I like that other idea of building a frame under it, probably be a bit more safer aswell plus their is a few bits of thick wall steel laying around the joint.

#119 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

looks good so far, brings back memories.
some holes in the body/floor were there due for production reasons, I dont see the point in putting them back if you replace the panel. but thats me.
Im better with my hands than a key board, so just saying Im not having a go if I dont explain myself well.
going by the work you have done so far I am a bit confused why you are so against having a go at painting it yourself, as it looks you would be competent enough to produce the same or better job I would expect from a 6-8 thousand dollar job.
and as it would probably be a fill in job, you would probably finish it quicker anyway.
for that sort of money it is only going to be as straight as the car already is, with small areas fixed up.
I have sprayed a few cars in my 20,s, so used acrylic, as that was really the only option at home.
If you use the solid red colour in acrylic, would be under 500 for the paint. I would probably only bare metal it if it was cheap to get done, or the paint was stuffed, then I would just sand off a panel at a time and undercoat, paint a bit at a time if in the weather.
with acrylic, once the whole car was painted (top coat), rub back lightly, then respray the whole car in one go, then even do it a few times, or clear over the top.
so if you muck up, who cares, will get rubbed back anyway.
just give the boot or something a go, call it the test colour panel. just get one litre, all panels you can unbolt, can be done out of the weather.
I gave it a go, really glad I did.
could you slip the front and rear ends under it the get it back on its wheels to roll it around? only a few bolts to push out if you are sand blasting everywhere at the blasters. then drop it back on the front rear ends to bring it home?
probably one bolt either side for the front. dont need to be bolted up, dont need shocks. can put blocks of wood between the spring coils when jacked up, lifts the car quite a bit to work on it when lowered back onto its wheels.
even a steel frame to sit the car on that has lockable wheels to roll it around on, would also get ride of the wobbly blocks of wood you are trusting.
I would be worried it would roll away down the roller coaster, maybe chain it to something in case it gets away from you?
thought of a tafe painting course?
engine lifters arent that expensive if you look around.

great work so far, one more torry being saved.

#120 _Moose lc_

_Moose lc_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

I agree with the "one more torry being saved" statement. I've got the LC and the LJ at home and the "plan" according to my missus was for a 1 from 2 set up. I think I've nearly got just about everything for the 2 cars so I'm VERY reluctant to pull one apart to fix the other. I'll win her around eventually. I'll just make the LC into her car and mope about every time she drives it and look longingly at the LJ sitting in the back yard. Lol. I'm sure that will work! Back to topic!

Keep it up hamo. Regardless of wether you paint it yourself or pay for it to be done, a young bloke like you taking the time and effort to get what you want from the car you've got will be the reward at the end. Apart from that when you get sick of the colour down the track, and you will, and you know how easy(?) it is to change the colour you can have a crack at it then inf you like when you have the room or a shed or just don't have the side of a mountain as the work space you are allotted.

Moose

#121 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

solid acyrlic all the way hamo
the cost of a decent air compressor/lines/fittings and guns/paint etc will be way less than 3k
and that will be for the good brands that you will never have to replace for home use
all my stuff has cost me under $300...but i got given a compressor and most is average quality spray guns
have a go yourself....plenty of advice/dvd's avil online
and if you stuff it up all you do is let it dry and rub it back and go again
p.o.p.don't see why lots of others don't do it themselves :)
you can buy those car tent thingos for less than $500 now as well
add a few cheap extractor fans ....bingo...instant semi portable spray booth

#122 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

have you thought about a tilt tray and blocks of round pine to transport as well?
worked for the epyetians ,eypetians
those frockers that built the pyramids a long time ago

#123 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

If i was going to paint it myself i would organise to do it at the sandblasters. Still not really keen on it i want it to be a good job but we will see how we go.

Sandblaster just wants to finish off a jeep he has their and then mine will fit in the shed.

#124 _Moose lc_

_Moose lc_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

Oooooh! Getting closer Hamo! The excitement must be building. If, and only if, you thought you "might" paint it at the sand blasters then at least a coat of etch primer and or undercoat to seal it would give you a bit of a chance to see how your gun wielding ability goes. You may surprise yourself mate. Enjoy.

Moose

#125 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Yea the plan is to get some undercoat on it at the sandblasters.
When we do it we (me and dad) are gonna go their on the weekend and do most of the work.
As i said before dads good mates with the guy so we are only paying for materials.

Ill see what im like with the spray gun. Still want to get the panel beaters to fix up all the pannels nice then if i did ok with the undercoat i might even take it back to the sandblasters.
The pannel beater im thinking of is only about 2 blocks from the sandblasters so it shouldn't be to hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users