- - - - -

Torana hatch in California...

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#51 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:17 PM

I could always swap the plates back if I changed my mind...I'll see, got enough other things to think about too, lol..

Oh and just for no reason, one of the many "Oz" sorta things I have around :)

(and just part of my die-cast stuff...and yes, I really,really,really need to dust them! :lol:)

Attached Files

• Attached File  002.JPG   560.78K   4 downloads
  • Attached File  003.JPG   554.16K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  006.JPG   580.4K   4 downloads

#52 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

Dude, are you sure your not a closet Aussie and too afraid to come out for fear of reprimand from the yanks, cause you're sure not coninving me your A meri can. :lol:

Mort

#53 _Pallbag_

_Pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

hahaa I was about to say something similar Mort!

If you want a 4 door LX, I'll swap you for a '68 Camaro if U got one ?

#54 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:06 AM

Nope...if it is the one I am thinking of...it was SUPER rough...rusty, dented up everywhere,bashed 1/4 panel, trashed inside, etc.

I had seen it when it came into the country, but not sure who actually did it.

Thats the one
In Sacramento
Green one.... was a 4 cyl and had a 202 auto in it
Started off at $5k but no-one bit on it
Said he'd rather crush it than sell it cheap

I nearly went and got it while I was there... but things didn't pan out with me moving over

#55 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:22 AM

Nope...if it is the one I am thinking of...it was SUPER rough...rusty, dented up everywhere,bashed 1/4 panel, trashed inside, etc.

I had seen it when it came into the country, but not sure who actually did it.

Thats the one
In Sacramento
Green one.... was a 4 cyl and had a 202 auto in it
Started off at $5k but no-one bit on it
Said he'd rather crush it than sell it cheap

I nearly went and got it while I was there... but things didn't pan out with me moving over

Yep that's it...I sent him a message on ebay...can't remember just what I said, but he sure came off as a jerk in his reply.

And I saw the car in person when it first came in, and sure it only got worse. I saw better cars at Pick-Pay-And-Go there.... :badabing:

#56 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:28 AM

Dude, are you sure your not a closet Aussie and too afraid to come out for fear of reprimand from the yanks, cause you're sure not coninving me your A meri can. :lol:

Mort

My birth certificate says so :lol: Just seem to have grown to having alot of Oz stuff around ? Posted Image

Oh, and on the 4 door....no thanks on a swap, I already know the car well that is sitting there waiting for me :)

#57 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:55 AM

i'd love to take my torana to the states and do drag week,then just have a hoilday with it,route 66 and death valley ;)

have been thinking about doing route 66 in a hired viper or z06.but it'd be much cooler in a torana :buttrock:

#58 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

have been thinking about doing route 66 in a hired viper or z06.but it'd be much cooler in a torana :buttrock:

I did it in a hired Mustang - Awesome!

Route 66

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 13 February 2011 - 07:59 AM.

#59 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

StephenSLR, jealous much.

Moot, i would also love to do it in a Torana.

Was thinking along time ago that it would be good to go for a trip to America and take the Torry, would be something unique for them to look at and wouldn't be any over there, HOW WRONG AM I :cry: . Aw well,might have to leave it for later now and hire a car, oo oo maybe by then there might be a Torana for hire (in my dreams but could only hope).

#60 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

Hey, even if there are other Torries here, it would still be cool to do the road trip in your own car at least! I've been over there a heap of times and always driving around in something or other that I am familiar with at least (Yanky thing basically we shipped over) but driving something that was mine sort of made it extra cool.

I went to Adelaide a couple times years back (for the All American Day) with a few mates, and I drove a late model Camaro convertable that I had driven around here a heap...and it was still LHD (on trade plate) and that was pretty cool.. Actually got pulled up in it one time...no front number plate but once the cop saw the trade plate it was all good. Made for a good pic at least, lol... (luckily everyone I was with saw the cop coming for me and pulled over too so I didn't get left behind in the middle of no where :lol:

And hey...if you had your car over here locally, you could tell everyone back home you went for a cruise with another Torana in SoCal. :)

#61 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

Mort

I guess this earlier vid I did won't help my case...lol

And the latest one incase you didn't see...no music in this one. Got to make another one soon with it out on the road driving past at least !

#62 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

Jeff, just out of curiosity, what would be involved and how much would it cost to get the car over there and drive it around, say if i was to convince the boss to go for a holiday, it would probably be awhile down the track, just a rough idea for now.

Mort

#63 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

Gets kinda expensive to go both ways if you wanted to bring it home of course...figure "around" $3500 each way, plus associated taxes...

I guess though you could subtract out the cost of a hire car :)

#64 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

A Mustang from Hertz last year was $77.50 USD per day, I think there'd be a flag fall and there's additional fees if you don't return it to origin.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 13 February 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#65 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

I guess that would add up over a bit of time, but sure would be nicer than the average hire car!

#66 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

A Mustang from Hertz last year was $77.50 USD per day, I think there'd be a flag fall and there's additional fees if you don't return it to origin.

s

viper is around $600 a day i've been told.
would 10k cover everything to get a torana there and back for a 8 week road trip? :blink2:

#67 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:17 PM

Imagine you could do it abit cheaper perhaps...the go would be to find a car while you where over here to send back as well and sell to pay for the trip. B)

You'd only have duty/tax to pay for car coming here, when you send it back to Oz, since it is an Aussie orgin car, you don't get hit for duty.

#68 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

would 10k cover everything to get a torana there and back for a 8 week road trip? :blink2:

You'd spend 10k to drive your own car O.S.?

Dude, have a really good think about it, you could fund another trip with hire car for 10k.

I don't want to squash your dreams but when the travel bug bites you want to go again a.s.a.p. 10k would be better spent on another holiday to another destination the following year in my opinion.

s

#69 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

Oh, and for no special reason, lol.... here is a pic of my Edelbrock intake when I first bought it, you can see how much taller it is than the stock LS1 piece!

Good thing I have a bonnet scoop on the car, because the intake sticks up higher than the bonnet itself...mainly the front part where the throttle body mount is.

You can see my initial hole I cut as well. You can see how far foward it is, which is why my bonnet scoop sits too far foward in the video..Eventually I'll extend the scoop back to the rear edge of the bonnet how it was and you'll hardly notice it's been extended I reckon..especially people over here, lol

Attached Files

#70 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

And while I was building my exhaust...for those who have not seen mufflers with a side exit before B)

Attached Files

#71 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

You'd spend 10k to drive your own car O.S.?

Dude, have a really good think about it, you could fund another trip with hire car for 10k.

I don't want to squash your dreams but when the travel bug bites you want to go again a.s.a.p. 10k would be better spent on another holiday to another destination the following year in my opinion.

s

it would be a once in a life time thing.i'd be more concerned about getting the car damaged or stolen :dontknow:

#72 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:11 PM

i'd be more concerned about getting the car damaged or stolen :dontknow:

Getting stolen probably wouldn't be a worry, I doubt US car thieves would even know where to start unless you left the keys in it.

Maybe some of the older thieves may recognise the lips on the column as a starting point, not sure how close our under column mechanics are in comparison to GM vehicles.

Even here it's mainly the older car thieves that know how to steal a Torrie, the young-uns are more interested in flogging WR-X's

s

#73 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

Theft could happen anywhere I suppose, just something you'd have to watch carefully (and what areas you went too) Would want to try and get sort of insurance I reckon as well ?

#74 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

Few other pics of just your average Yanky driveway......well, at least for this Yanky. :badabing: (from a few years ago.)

Attached Files

#75 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

Mate have a look at Litre8.

That has an extended bonnet scoop to cover the Kinsler injection, your flat out picking it if you dont know its there.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users