Project: MKII Cortina

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#26 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

I agree, i love most any old car. They all have there own charmes.

Funny story, at the start of this thread i said that my mate had an old Cortina but sold it and wished he never did... Well i was doing some ebay searching today and i found it, its the car he sold exactly as we remember it but its collected tonnes of spares inside. He wants $500 now or would be happy to take $300 for it when the auction ends in 2 days time *shrug*. We will hopefully score it, lots of great spares. The shell is better, but not that much better to abandon the current one.

#27 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

We've done a fair bit more, it just doesnt look like much. The car is basically bare metal now, i've attacked the floors with the wire wheel and we've desided that all 4 pans need replacing.

Yesterday Neil brought around the new replacement panels he bought, he managed to score a 85% cut of the drivers side guard, a shit load of clean sill and a drivers side boot 1/4 in perfect condition.

Tonight we decided to remove the passenger guard for replacement, it had some nasty repairs on the nose and was just bent and #@$^%& really.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And heres the bottom of the guard if i havent already posted it.
Posted Image

Removing the guard was a lot easier than i expected, a sharp chisel is a good chisel!

#28 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

The new guard is now half on, we have the headlight cup lining and screwed on. Tomorrow we will cut the rear half of the guard and line it up. Its the first time i've done anything like this so i have no idea if im doing it correctly, but my theory is tie the front hidden bits in first then trim the rear of the guard a little at a time until it slots in place.

We decided not to unstitch the radiator support from the guard and just install it as one piece, the cut is through the middle of the headlight hole.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

Very cool project. Hopefully I'll learn a bit from watching this

#30 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:52 AM

It looks like the entire floor has to come out, the inner sill has rusted through in lots of places so its easier just to remove floor and remove the inner sill panel. This will allow us to clean out all the dirt/rust and seal it up.

I have just bought a cheap metal bender off ebay that will allow me to bend sheets of 18ga up to 90degree's, i'm also buying a shinker stretcher and one of these! With those tools i should be able to create the floors from scratch! I'm so excited about the bead roller :D.

Were going to weld in some RHS to brace the car while we cut so much material out to stop it from flexing.Since we keep finding more and more rust and were going to this much effort, we are going to build a rotisserie so we can access the hard to reach areas. The timeline has blown out from the original one, were hoping to do it in around 6months now :(.

<edit> oh yeah the front guard is basically ready to be tacked into place, it just needs a small amount of tweaking now :).

Edited by jabba, 14 May 2011 - 09:53 AM.

#31 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

Mmmm this is shaping up (no pun intended) to be an epic build thread. Lucky bugger now you have a bender you should be able to make the lot. Least this way to can build up the chassis to handle the power you are chucking through it. Show us some pics of it with its pants down, ahaha

#32 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

Yep, way more epic than planned but this is always how these things go... Hopefully the sheet bender is good enough, its only a cheapo manual ebay $100 job. We will see :).

#33 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

No Cortina updates from this weekend, but we did get a few jobs done that we have wanted done for ages.

We knocked this up on saturday arvo in a bit over an hour, slapped it together as quick as possible :).

Posted Image

And with a paint job
Posted Image

And today we finally finished the shelving for Neils shed and gave it a good cleaning.
Posted Image

Enough room for two stattos now.
Posted Image

#34 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

Over the last 2 days we have braced the body with RHS, I think we went a little nuts but at least its solid. The body seems more rigid now with the RHS minus the floor than it did complete, im guessing that is because the chassis was held together with pot rivets and bog.

What Chassis rust.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The rust bucket was too small!
Posted Image

Sill rust/dirt pile
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now i have to finish unstitching the inner sill panel and then we are waiting for the bead roller to arrive from Summit Racing. I will take the opportunity to clean the sills out and rust proof them :).

Edited by jabba, 18 May 2011 - 09:16 PM.

#35 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

Just put it out of it's misery! :RIP:

#36 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Dont judge me but i think the car is growing on me :S. I wish i had the ability to do a roof chop, it could do with 8" roof drop ;). Most of the rust in this thing is all hidden which is nice, makes the repairs easier to do because we can just make the shapes whatever we please.

Edited by jabba, 18 May 2011 - 09:33 PM.

#37 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:35 PM

its all good you fellas are flogging it.

#38 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:52 AM

How much was shipping on the bead roller through Summit? Was it worth it rather than go through a local supplier? Looking good.

#39 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

I cant find any cheap bead rollers in australia, people want $800 for the exact same thing as what Dirtbag has. Theres a company Dirtbag put me onto called california image in brissie, they said it would be roughly $50 to put it in a shipping container, then however much to get it from brissie to me. I'm expecting <$200 postage by the end of it. Much better than the $450 quoted by summit racing.

#40 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:53 PM

Today i started building a rotisserie for her, we figured we had gone this far we may as well flip it over and treat the underside! I bought some 50x50x5 rhs and some 10x16mm (thick shit!) flat bar to build it out of, i also have some spare 30x30x1.5 rhs left over from other projects to make the legs and any other braces necessary.

We ran into a problems after bolting the frame to the rear bumper mounts, the frame doesnt flex at all but the bumper bar mounts allow the whole thing rock back and forward when we put pressure on it. My solution is to stick some more of that 30x30 rhs through the hole between the bumper bolt holes and weld it to the rotisserie frame, then pin it through the chassis. Hopefully THEN it wont more anymore!

This is the crappy mounts im talking about, you can kinda make out what im talking about above the exhaust.
Posted Image

Pics tomorrow, hopefully i can finish it and have upside-down photos

#41 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:14 AM

so your going to "sandwitch" it to the rotissare frame?

#42 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

Kinda of a forklift sandwich ;). So so solid now, and goes upside down :D.

Here it is, the gettoisserie
Posted Image

Engine still in, bloody heavy to spin. 2 people could get it sideways.
Posted Image

over she goes, engine's out now
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:02 PM

there a wonder thing the rottos. they are sort of needed these days working on the old stuff. just so you know you have some thing strong and reliable and long lasting once done. my lj is on its side getting the under side cleaned up so i can paint it. good work man.

#44 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:27 PM

It should be fantastic, i've always wanted to use one when doing this kind of work on old cars. There was just too much dodgyness in this car not to flip it over and clean it up. Now we get the chance to completely seal it and make it good for hopefully more than 40 years :). I'm so excited, no more lying on cold cement!

#45 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

Thats awesome. Do you have some way of locking it in position or does it just stay there once its over?

#46 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

Thats how it wanted to stay when it was flipped over. I'm going to drill some holes in the pipe soon so i can drop a pin in, engine stand style...

#47 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

The Front struts and diff are now out, i unbolted the diff upsidown then flipped it over and it fell out :). now there out its very easy to spin, i can easily flip it myself... i got the cog nearly spot on.

#48 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

If you want to see something dumb click here, the clanging is the wiring loom in the boot :P.

Here is some of the crud on the floor pan
Posted Image

mmm now its shiny
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

If you want to see something dumb click here, the clanging is the wiring loom in the boot :P.

Jabba"s "Wheel of Fordtune" :blink2:
That's damn close for balance! :buttrock:

#50 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

Thats actually how we have been deciding what to work on next hahaha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users