150 list Vins

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

hi mike
the story? is bob jane order 6 black xu1 that are on the 150 list they could be linked to dealer 236 it is just my thinking
bob jane was the largest G.M dearler in the world he could specify any colour, be good to know one of there vin no,
i have a photo of the eng bay of one of them but can not read the vin no

Hello again Vin,
the Black one mentioned at Mt Newman would seem to be of the same batch too, but I can't find any identifying information but I will keep trying, the most likely result will be from it being sold through Melville Motors in Perth.

Mike

#27 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

dealer number 236 is GMH Internal Victoria....they took 9 cars ( these were brisbane cars)
dealer number 29 is J.A. Gilbert cabramatta... they took 11 cars (sydneys largest dealer by far)
dealer number 48 is N.S.W. Government..... and they took 14 cars

bob jane took over Ron Hodgson motors cabramatta when Hodgson went bust in 1975
so maybe you should be looking at J.A.Gilbert(29) or GMH internal Victoria(236) for your black cars

#28 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

It is possible that all those Black XU-1's were Adelaide built as one was sold at Melville Motors Perth about Sept Oct 1973.

It was against Holden's long established price equalisation policy to sell Brisbane cars in WA, it would be very very rare and only on a special arrangement that this happened if at all.

So if we go with what we suspect on these black ones so far;

Possibly all made at the same time from the same plant, Adelaide.

All last upgrade models made between 14th of August and up to 2 or 3 weeks latter.

One was sold from Melville Motors in Perth ( still need that dealer number )

I am in contact with the guy who purchased the Black one in Perth ( doesn't have it now ) he remembers it was to be a race car for Ray Thackwell and that it may still be around in some form. he said that only about 26 black ones were made.

Ray Thackwell's old white XU-1 that he won races at Wanneroo Raceway ( and other places over Australia ) was used instead of the new XU-1 which was sold off as a normal sale.
The Thackwell challenge car ( 26 ) is pictured in the book Bathurst XU-1 Toranas by Stephen Stathis page 116

Mike

#29 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

so maybe you should be looking at J.A.Gilbert(29) or GMH internal Victoria(236) for your black cars

mmm not sure about my bob jane quote now, as iam sure he never owned a dealership.
he was the tyre shop king who owned a race team, but ron hodgson did go bust but dont know who
took the dealership over

#30 _vin150cars_

_vin150cars_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

i think dealer 29 there 12 cars went though to the police,
did you all see the special order i put in general HB-LC-LJ for debate,
could some one transfer that to this post iam not to good on the pc my grand kids help some times
cheers vin

#31 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

i think dealer 29 there 12 cars went though to the police,
did you all see the special order i put in general HB-LC-LJ for debate,
could some one transfer that to this post iam not to good on the pc my grand kids help some times
cheers vin

Attached Files

#32 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

interesting the police got so many of the last xu-1,s,

imagine seeing a cop car GTR,and thinking i can out run this GTR,then the bloody thing blows up behind you with all the flashing lights and wammy,your busted.

bet a few people went home thinking whats wrong with my car,a GTR just caught me, WTF.

thanks vin,and rodomo for helping.

#33 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

mmm not sure about my bob jane quote now, as iam sure he never owned a dealership.
he was the tyre shop king who owned a race team, but ron hodgson did go bust but dont know who
took the dealership over

always thought he owned that southern motors,
is that right or notPosted Image

#34 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

"Jane says he knows how to sell, having been a former car salesman by trade: he owned car dealerships, including one of Melbourne�s biggest, Southern Motors, between 1969 and 1985."

From here:
http://www.cpaaustra...june-track.html

#35 _vin150cars_

_vin150cars_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

thanks rodomo for doing the tranfer for me
i think if all the special order xu1 went to dealer 48
the big HOLDEN dealer's would have complained or jumped and down

#36 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

thanks rodomo for setting me straight about Bob Jane owning
Southern Motors at North melbourne, The forum dealer list has that
Southern motors as dealer 78 and 450 :dontknow:, and being the biggest dealer in Victoria
you would think they sold bucket loads of XU-1s, I looked at my spread sheet
of all xu-1s 72/73 brisbane and adelaide and found that dealer 450 did not sell any xu-1s
at all!

But dealer 78 sold 8 cars in the 150 lists vins...

think the forum list needs to delete dealer 450 from its list to stop confusion
cheers johnno

#37 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

imagine seeing a cop car GTR,and thinking i can out run this GTR,then the bloody thing blows up behind you with all the flashing lights and wammy,your busted.

bet a few people went home thinking whats wrong with my car,a GTR just caught me, WTF.

A bit out of context I think, the point was that the cop cars were GTR's so they didn't give away they were cop cars, a pile of christmas lights on top would be kind of giving the game away wouldn't it ?

Police cars in WA also employed this subdafugge, 1971 LC GTR's seem to have had after market tripples added to be able to catch the badies!

WA 1972 LJ's just used the normal XU-1 with usual police special add ons like spotties etc.

I have spoken to a guy who had the job at the Sydney plant of removing GTR engines from brand new GTR's and fitting JP XU-1 engines, but I don't know if there was an engine type given on the Trim, paint tag or not.

I wonder how many guys have sold their ex police persuit JP engine thinging it was wrong for the GTR not knowing it was a police special, ( think I may have seen one on Ebay )

Not sure if my 9 2 E 1973 XU-1 had a amber light or not yet, still working on this.

Back to the lights some WA cop XU-1's had a light it was just an amber one.

Don't forget in the era of the XU-1, police patrol officers were not full police officers, just had basic training and worked for the local Shire in country areas and only had very limited authority. The RTA did not establish until after the XU-1's were out of production!

Posted Image

Mike

Edited by Mike73, 16 May 2011 - 06:09 PM.

#38 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

A bit out of context I think, the point was that the cop cars were GTR's so they didn't give away they were cop cars, a pile of christmas lights on top would be kind of giving the game away wouldn't it ?

yeah what ever mike,you always have to have your say.

they were XU-1,s in disguise,no gtr door cards,no small tank,no small booster,no GTR lower control arms,they had xu1 front suspension,XU1 engines,gearboxes bla bla bla.

i think its easier to delete a bobtail,than rebuild a car,what about the economics of that?

#39 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

I have spoken to a guy who had the job at the Sydney plant of removing GTR engines from brand new GTR's and fitting JP XU-1 engines, but I don't know if there was an engine type given on the Trim, paint tag or not.

Posted Image

Mike

Sydney plant? Did that plant ever see an LJ GTR or XU-1?

#40 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:23 AM

hahaha ^^^^^

#41 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:18 AM

Don't forget in the era of the XU-1, police patrol officers were not full police officers, just had basic training and worked for the local Shire in country areas and only had very limited authority. The RTA did not establish until after the XU-1's were out of production!

Mike

This post has been edited by Mike73: Yesterday, 06:09 PM

sounds like another myth

#42 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

Mike

sounds like another myth

for sure its a new mike myth..not really police officers!!! WTF
dealer 48 is NSW government and they took 14 cars and guess what??? all cop cars,that shoots that myth down

and if your talking about country WA why say anything about the RTA?? its a NSW government department

#43 _vin150cars_

_vin150cars_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

the n.s.w torana cop cars were unmarked,
had fashing light between the seats would then put on top of roof,

#44 goxu1

goxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:4/73 Cyan Metallic GTR XU-1

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

a friend of mine has a long engine from the 150 list..won't sell though

#45 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:10 PM

a friend of mine has a long engine from the 150 list..won't sell though

Dose he know if its recorded in the vins disc???

#46 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

sounds like another myth
[/quote]

and if your talking about country WA why say anything about the RTA?? its a NSW government department
[/quote]

Don't know Mike, don't wan't to get into the 130, 150 200 argument, but some of you boys really talk shit when you get your back s up.

The RTA was the Road Traffic Authority when i was in my teens. They were responsible for traffic related police work and were a seperate identity to the local GD's. They were set up in '74 and disbanded in the mid late 80's.

They had a number of bases ( depots ) around the metro area and their cars were painted with different logos to the usual coppers. I lived a few doors up from the E Freo yard and remember very well the various unmarked pursuit vehicles that were built in house.

Prior to 74 and the set up of the RTA, some regional councils and shires around WA had traffic officers as 'agents of the crown', working for the WA Road Board under a law setup in 1919, The Traffic Act.

Welby

Edited by A9X, 17 May 2011 - 09:08 PM.

#47 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:37 PM

Mike

sounds like another myth

for sure its a new mike myth..not really police officers!!! WTF
dealer 48 is NSW government and they took 14 cars and guess what??? all cop cars,that shoots that myth down

Typical, there is alot more of Australia than Sydney and a dammed bridge, if you bothered to check your facts you would know that the RTA operated in both NSW and WA at similar times.
Local govenrment does often work in with State government for some things too.
Also it has been suggested that the RTA was set up in the Perth Metro area before the country aeas, and if this occurred on your biased side too then they would likely have Government numbers in 1973!

The main states that used XU-1 police cars were WA and Victoria.

Another Sydney biased thing is the RFDS ( Royal Flying Doctor service ) maps on your side show no RFDS in WA at all. however they do exist in WA and actually cover a bigger area than the rest of Australia RFDS coverage combined!

Australia is a great place if poeple manage to get out of the concrete jungle and look around!

Mike

#48 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

Posted Image

Mike

Sydney plant? Did that plant ever see an LJ GTR or XU-1?

well what about this, mr know it all.

and your listening to some guy from the concrete jungle,bahahaha,and beleiving him.

#49 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

dealer number 236 is GMH Internal Victoria....they took 9 cars ( these were brisbane cars)
dealer number 29 is J.A. Gilbert cabramatta... they took 11 cars (sydneys largest dealer by far)
dealer number 48 is N.S.W. Government..... and they took 14 cars

I got Ron Hodgson selling "special " commodores in late 1986 and documentation to say he was taken over in 1/8/1991 by Abrahams

36 NSW CABRAMATTA Ron Hodgson Cabramatta Pty Ltd (Cabramatta NSW )1/1/1969 1/02/1987 266 Hume Highway 7287333
470 NSW CABRAMATTA JOHN ABRAHAMS HOLDEN (DP G Horton bought out Ron Hodgson)1/8/1991 1/03/1997 266 - 284 Hume Highway Cabramatta 2166
02 728 7333
486 NSW Lansvale Lansvale Holden (was Ron Hodgson / John Abrahams Holden Cabramatta)1/11/1999 1/01/2011 266 -284 Hume Hwy (cnr Cabramatta Rd) 2166
(02) 9728 7333

Cheers
Balfizar

Edited by Balfizar, 19 May 2011 - 08:43 PM.

#50 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

hi mike
the story? is bob jane order 6 black xu1 that are on the 150 list they could be linked to dealer 236 it is just my thinking
bob jane was the largest G.M dearler in the world he could specify any colour, be good to know one of there vin no,
i have a photo of the eng bay of one of them but can not read the vin no

Here a 1973 LJ XU-1, its a factory Black one from NSW,it was in Unique Cars Magazine for sale in 1990's

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users