gtr 10/72 brisbane car- need info please

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

Guys as you know " lucky the lime green gtr " is on his way. What i need is the more info on the following;

any build specific stuff with brisbane gtr cars

colour of boot - grey- black etc
is there something with the front blinkers being parking lights etc
any other info on this species of the brissy car that may assit me with getting as close as possible with paint and other stuff

grant

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

Guys as you know " lucky the lime green gtr " is on his way. What i need is the more info on the following;

any build specific stuff with brisbane gtr cars

colour of boot - grey- black etc
is there something with the front blinkers being parking lights etc
any other info on this species of the brissy car that may assit me with getting as close as possible with paint and other stuff

grant

Hi Grant,

A 10/72 Torana will have the white indicators with the parking lights incorporated. The first Brisbane built LJ to have the amber indicators and parking lights in the headlights was an 82211 model with PSN H260946 completed on 4/12/1972.

#3 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:35 AM

Thanks Dave,

there was some other change that happened with the stone stray and how it's mounted ? .

Im in the process of chasing down the correct stone tray, and have been tolde that there is a difference on how these fit to the front apron ?

Firstly does anyone have a correct stone tray and secondly can they post a photo so i know what the differences are.

grant

#4 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:16 AM

I have both stone trays and can take a photo ,which one should a 10/72 use ? what date did they change ?

#5 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

Don't know but do you want to sell the one i need ? I thought that it was the one with the horns on it ?

#6 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

LJ 6 bangers with 10A on the compliance plate use the standard type splash guard and the two small inner front bumper bar brackets .

Cars with 10B on the compliance plate use the reinforced splash guard and have two reinforced inner front bumper bar brackets .

#7 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

I'll check tonight on the compliance plates which are off the car.

thanks

#8 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

These are the ones with the front mounted rails ,
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

10B car identifiers
Posted Image
This is one of the reinforcing arms on the splash tray which fit into a corresponding cut out in the panel

Posted Image
Reinforced inner bumper bar brackets

Posted Image

Posted Image
Left and right inner bumper bar brackets in situ

It is inevitable that some 10A cars have the reinforced splash tray and brackets that were fitted after the car was crashed because they could not source the earlier parts.

#10 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

Hi Bruce,

The radiator panel changed in 1973.

Cheers John.

#11 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:01 AM

Thanks Kockum, John and three,

for the info - will be taking a trip out today to check at the panel shop.

Also can some one give me a rough numbers range for a M20 - I have one here that I just want to check, there is little to nil chance that it's the correct one for the range.

#12 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:09 PM

Agent ,

I am not sure if you know how to decipher the date codes so I will list them .

A-Jan
B-Feb
C-Mar
D-Apr
E-May
F-Jun
G-Jul
H-Aug
J-Sep , 'I' was not used .
K-October
L-Nov
M-Dec .

As a general rule of thumb , the gearbox code for a 10/72 car , ie K2 would be _ _ J2 .

This is not set in stone of course and there are examples where the part date code can be as close as two weeks prior to the completion date of the car .

Therefore if your car has a latish K2 completion date then the date code could be _ _ K2 .

#13 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

Agent ,

I am not sure if you know how to decipher the date codes so I will list them .

A-Jan
B-Feb
C-Mar
D-Apr
E-May
F-Jun
G-Jul
H-Aug
J-Sep , 'I' was not used .
K-October
L-Nov
M-Dec .

As a general rule of thumb , the gearbox code for a 10/72 car , ie K2 would be _ _ J2 .

This is not set in stone of course and there are examples where the part date code can be as close as two weeks prior to the completion date of the car .

Therefore if your car has a latish K2 completion date then the date code could be _ _ K2 .

I will go along with that I have 2 August 73 Toranas made within a week of each other, while the earlier one the GTR, with the common M20 gearbox has a box less than two weeks prior to the production date, The XU-1 made at the other end of the same week that used the slower moving XU-1 only M21 had a box is dated 6 weeks prior to production.

Mike.

#14 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

Can someone inform me as to the colour and types of bolt finished, eg black steel, zinc etc

brake calipers bolts
chassis bolts
other - general brake bolts, Idler arms cover plates
steering rack bolts
K frame bolts
thermostate housing bolts ( and was the thermostat painted red or standard cast colour )

Gearbox NO's
I have tried to see the numbers on the side of the box ( under the gear lever arms on the cover plate ) and there are two sets and I have to clean them off i assume this is where the above No's are as there seems to be non on the casing that i can see ?

#15 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

I cannot find the gear box no's apart from " holden 8 " on one side and there is other no's on the cover for the other side ?

There is no raised section near the sump plug with anything stamped on it.

Ps I'm not that concerned with the numbering, i just cannot find apart from what is stated above

seems strange that the casting no's would be on the side plate that can be interchanged ? between boxes ?

grant

it's a m20 for sure

Edited by Agent 34, 11 June 2011 - 05:27 PM.

#16 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

I cannot find the gear box no's apart from " holden 8 " on one side and there is other no's on the cover for the other side ?

There is no raised section near the sump plug with anything stamped on it.

Ps I'm not that concerned with the numbering, i just cannot find apart from what is stated above

seems strange that the casting no's would be on the side plate that can be interchanged ? between boxes ?

grant

it's a m20 for sure

G/day Grant

The g/box casing should have a raised not stamped cast date on it, on the same side as the HOLDEN 8. The numbers on the selector side plate only pertain to that part not the box casing.

There should be a serial number stamped into the end of the gearbox casing where the extension housing bolts on. This number will start with a 'T'.

Can someone inform me as to the colour and types of bolt finished, eg black steel, zinc etc

brake calipers bolts
chassis bolts
other - general brake bolts, Idler arms cover plates
steering rack bolts
K frame bolts
thermostate housing bolts ( and was the thermostat painted red or standard cast colour )

brake calipers bolts - BLACK
chassis bolts - ZINC
other - general brake bolts - MIXTURE OF BLACK & ZINC? (could you be more specific?)
Idler arms cover plates ???????
steering rack bolts - ZINC
K frame bolts - ZINC
thermostate housing bolts - ZINC
and was the thermostat painted red or standard cast colour - PAINTED

If I've got any of these wrong I'm sure someone will let us know.

Cheers
Dave

#17 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

Hi Grant,

The cast date is there get a wire brush and clean the paint of just below the filler plug,i cleaned mine and used a bright torch.and there was mine 6 J 2.

Cheers John.

#18 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:28 PM

Hi

Here you go

Cheers

Bazza

Attached Files

#19 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

Thanks Bazza,

For putting it up.

Cheers John.

#20 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

Well, I've cleaned and it not there. so it just must be one of thoes holden things. There is definately no raised section adjacent to the holden number.

Attached Files

Edited by Agent 34, 12 June 2011 - 12:25 PM.

#21 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hi

Here you go

Cheers

Bazza

Hi Grant,
as was said before there is a serial number at the back edge of the cast iron casing this has a serial number starting with T, this number will indicate if your box is in the correct production range.

Some of the dates pictured above were impossible to read as they were so light or non existant in some rare cases, and if you have a replacement housing it will not have the T number on the machined rear face either.

If you have your box apart at any time also, the type of the reverse gear and the housing machining to match is an indication of 71 - 73 boxes.

There were 4 gearbox casting types early non ribbed three speed ( 1970 - 71 ), early ribbed three speed ( abt 1971 ), non ribbed three and four speed ( about mid 1971 ), and the last type generally known ribbed three and 4 speed ( late 1971 - 85 ).
The last two are only changable from three speed to four speed with simple extra machining, but if you include these it would make 6 different casings.

Mike

#22 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

Hi Mike,

last check and the numbers on the rear machined face are T 834575 on the 90 degree face adjacent to the rear face it's got 00 stamped into the side.

fingers crossed on this one.

thanks for the help guys.

#23 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

Right - is the cast iron thermostat housing painted ? or was it left cast

#24 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

Right - is the cast iron thermostat housing painted ? or was it left cast

Painted.

#25 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:44 AM

what about the cast aluminum piece in the rack and pinion steering - is it's left un painted alloy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users