Photo

MIA Members + Current feelings discussion

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#26 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:41 PM

The link that tiny gave us I was reading before, I was gonna post, but I thought it was best not to, how that fight occured was with one little silly remark that wasnt needed, and then everyone got pissed, little things like that dont need to be said. And that got everyone pissed off, I just posted, but we need more peace, I thought we were all ment to talk about our pashion's, not bitch about em, as I said, dont bother holding grudges, just get over them and keep havin fun

#27 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:39 PM

NOSLH: Youve summed up my feelings exactly mate.. This is a small community of varied and different people with a multitude of different opinions, thoughts and feelings. I would personally enjoy it more if people felt free to put their opinion and thoughts forward without fear of attack by other members. As i said a while back.. If you dont have anything nice to say! Shut the hell up!
Thanks mate, Youve understood my intention completely!

ToranaSS: Mate, thank you.. I know that your posts werent aimed at me or any of the mod/admin team, and i completely understand exactly why youve raised these points!! To those who may not know, John has contaced me on a personal level to discuss the problems that he feels in invading this forum more and more. I've taken on board his points and tried to make this place more understanding and more fun! As i do with everything that is brought to my attention.

Liam.W: Again what youve said is right.. One silly flippant remark triggered a whole mess that alot of people got tangled up in. That kind of thing is a prime example of what seems to happen on here alot! Somethng simple is asked/put forward and there is lively debate. BUT the debate more often than not lately gets personal when people refuse to LIVE AND LET LIVE.

I just cant understand why people always need to be RIGHT! In recent times it seems that if someone is spoken against, they take offence to it and take it personally. As NOSLH said, NO-ONE here knows EVERYTHING.. but undoubtedly we have the BEST group of skilled and knowledgable members i have ever seen in one place! Honestly, what we as a group dont know about torana's and cars in general i think isnt to be known!
I' want to NURTURE that by ensuring that ALL members feel welcome and that people can ask questions without fear of being hammered or belittled infront of the whole community. I know of a few members who have pulled back or even left the site because their knowledge is not only not appreciated by a vocal few, but they have been personally attacked for their views! What is the benefit in that!?

Anyway.. I hope that people can understand where i'm coming from and my concern about current proccedings and know that I personally am trying to do all i can to make this place better than it ever has been. If that means banning certain notorious trouble makers then so be it... I'd rather not but if it needs to be done I will.

I really want to see this place succeed and with your continued support i think we'll get there. Lets work this out and get back to having some fun!

(Oh.. I think i'll rename this thread because its gone So Off Topic that it needs a new name and this needs to be discussed. I hope Toranavista doesnt mind! Please PM me if you do!)

Cheers

#28 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

(Oh.. I think i'll rename this thread because its gone So Off Topic that it needs a new name and this needs to be discussed. I hope Toranavista doesnt mind! Please PM me if you do!)

Cheers

Please rename

#29 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:03 PM

Ive changed it, Hope its acceptable to all!

Cheers and thanks for the understanding! While i did say above that its off topic.. it really isnt. Alot of the discussion above relates WHY some members are MIA!

Cheers :)

#30 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:14 PM

Ive gotta give a big thumbs up to TINY for working his ass off on this subject and the forum in general he's got into this topic without using his admin power to dismiss it/shut it down or be-little any1, there's alot of people on here that should pay attention to his attitude!

#31 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:16 PM

thanks Tiny i knew you understood me mate i just wanted it clear for everyone else too. Trouble is mate you cant be around as often as needed, so it all coils down to the members again..

I had a read of the thread you posted befor and as all have said Live and Let Live, It might have only been a simple remark but calling the queen of england a SLUT in front of 100 Poms will get your face smashed in almost instantly.. Yeh it is a simple comment tho isnt it, Poeple need to think befor they post crap.. you would think that actualy writing what you intend to say gives you time to think about it befor you post, Iv written things down to reply to threads and deleted & re-wrote them many times befor i clicked on the post butten(not appropriat was on my mind)..Makes you wonder if they just post like blappin their gobs or if they actualy put any thought into what they are posting hey?

John

#32 _Simmo_

_Simmo_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:34 PM

Your right john

I dont normally post much but i need to say this

People also need to remember that Mods have a life outside of these forums....and cant be on here 24 hours a day to make sure crap doesnt go on....

There have been many a time when Tiny and myself have wanted a quiet night at home watching dvds etc....BUT because of the shit that gets said on these forums sometimes he has to stay on the internet and sort that crap out...what fun do you think i get out of having my night interruped or having to listen to him getting the shits with everything due to stupid or inappropriate comments.

And like he said...he has spent quite a few hundred dollars of his own money to keep these forums going as like everyone here, he enjoys them immensly and until this thread now, no one would have known he did as there was no reason to tell people as he did it for the love and enjoyment he gets out of these forums...

anyway thats enough from me

#33 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:35 PM

NOSLH: Thanks mate.

The one thing i pride myself on is trying to be fair.
I hate being a killjoy and i hate locking/removing threads. I also try my hardest not to belittle anyone because simply... there are a majority of users on here that know more about toranas and cars than i ever will!
Its called RESPECT. I do my utmost to show it to everyone that i deal with and i hope that i get the same in return. But not only me, The forum in general. I hope that people will be able to see and understand that we are all here to ENJOY this place and by hammering anyone.. wether theyre right or wrong it harms this forum as a whole.

We have many many people looking at this website on a daily basis.. I cant belive Wikipedia have linked to us if people search for "Torana" on their site! How big of a Wrap is THAT!
We have all manner of people on this site.. Just look at the 7 odd pages of "what we do" thread. We have a heap to loose if this forum turns into a non-stop bitch session like ive seen on some other forums!!

Lets not let it go that way.. Take a look at who we have here.. think about your posts BEFORE you write them.. and above all.. think about how it'll be read by everyone... No emotion, no feelings, 2 dimensional letters think about how your words will be taken! There is no edit function for a reason.. think before you speak!

Thanks again NosLH... I'm not doing it for a pat on the back.. I really like this place and the people that are here. Ive made a heck of alot of friends, met alot of interesting people and i dont want to see it go down hill!

#34 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

Whoa hot topic :).. while i was typing i missed the two other replies...

John: I hear ya mate! It all comes down to something a friend of mine and a newish member said to me....

"any forum is like a container full of 1250 illegal immigrants... Sooner or later your going to get the shits with each other..." tm - Sourbastard.

Ya know.. i thought about that and thought.. HRmmm how true! Even though 99.9% of have never and probablyw ill never meet.. we inhabit this small corner of the internet and interact sometimes on a daily level! it takes ALOT for the differing personalities not to rub some the wrong way. But here is wehre i again ask for some common sense and thought in how your comments will be taken and read. If its not constructive or a good addition to the thread.. then keep it to yourself! it'll be better for all in the long run and you'll gain more respect than by being a know-it-all loudmouth!

Cheers

#35 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:48 PM

True, even in this thread I have carefully wrote what I had to say, Just like in all others I part in, And I also re-write alot so people don't look around and say "This kid is a wanka" I get that alot on other forum's I go on, they down me cause im younger, these forums are mad but, and I rarely see problems, I have made stupid mistakes but have been corrected in which I like to see, I prefer to be corrected if im wrong, but some people kinda take it wrong, so I dunno... These forums might have members that will argue, but ALL forums have that, thank god we got hardly any.
Just my two cents

#36 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

Liam.W: We're all here to learn.. as i said.. I know what i know and ive learnt it by asking dumb questions, and doing stuff for myself!! Thats why i actively encourage the young guys to ask questions and give it a go. I'll never belittle anyone for asking a question.. So long as its not rediculous!

Ive gotto say that no matter how young or old you are you can still carry yourself with dignity and respect in any environment, and young guys like yourself i appreciate beign on here because you guys are the ones who will take not only this place but our beloved cars into the future!

Cheers

#37 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:41 PM

were is Trev?

#38 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:27 AM

Ive been in contact with Trev ( Elektra Blue) recently, and he has told me that he wont be able to be active on these forums for personal reasons. Everything is going ok and he told me when he has more time and energy he'll try and make a return.

Cheers.

#39 _doublin gtr_

_doublin gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:08 AM

ive been a member for a few years and this was a good place to find out good info
and help people but now you just get shot down.
no matter what you say you are always wrong.
ive been into gtrs and xu1s for a very long time and been looking into what is fact and fiction. also helping people id them etc.
but now i only have a scan through every now and again and dont say much.
most of the experts on these cars are the same or dont bother coming here at all for the same reason
and it is a shame realy and it isnt becouse of the moderaters.
now i just build my car and keep things to myself :rolleyes:

start the flaming :clap:

Edited by doublin gtr, 21 May 2006 - 08:09 AM.

#40 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:44 AM

Weird. Couple of things at play here:

1. It's Winter, and in the four or so years I've been coming on here, there is always less activity in Winter.
2. If I have some advice on a topic, where I've had some direct experience, I normally just post my view/experience, then not return to that post again (partially lack of time).
3. Refrain from telling people they are wrong, they just have a different view. Different views are good, as it occaisionally changes your own view.
4. As with anything, your going to get a heap of views about a great deal of things. At the end of the day, take everybodies view on board, and make up your own mind.
5. Be aware that people have other shite going on in their lives, and prolly don't need additional shite.

Torunya is all well. Unfortunately a big shite fight occurred when she was working as a Grief Councillor with the Mildura accident. It's a small community, knows alot of the people personally, and is taking out some personal time for herself and her family. Hope she comes back, she has a wealth of experience/knowledge, and put a witty/humorous slant to the Forums.

I have noted that people with in depth knowledge/credentials in things do get a good going over. At the same time, being an ex-professional, just because you are a professional doesn't mean you are going to be right, you just have better odds of being right. Hard questions are usually asked just to verify things in people's own minds.

I don't mind the light hearted gay banter Yella jokes. I've got an extremely long fuse.

I think the word for the day is "Tolerance".

#41 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:08 AM

Well done to Tiny and the others that help run this site.

If everyone here could agree never to point out when they think someone else is wrong, maybe that could help.

If you don't agree with something that has been said, by all means post your own opinion, however there is no need to draw attention to what the first person said and tell them they are wrong.

If someone on here tells you you are wrong, take a deep breath and let it go. Don't start arguing with them.

We are all individuals and entitled to our own opinions.

I remember why I first became active on this site......

I LOVE TORANA'S :spoton:

#42 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:07 AM

and this was a good place to find out good info
and help people but now you just get shot down.
no matter what you say you are always wrong.

couldn't agree more.

this is the main reason I've been posting less, some people around here could "lighten up" a bit. Thats why most of my posts recently have only been in the "jokes thread" ,"ebay" and "for sale". everything else just seems to turn into a bun fight at the moment. Its a pity as it seems those whom actually have some knowledge on the forum (err not me of course cause I don't know anything :D ) are posting less and less, HG350 is a prime example. Loss of this type of knowledge on the forum would be tragic IMPO.

Sure its OK to question what people say but try being nice about it instead of nasty as has been seen lately, .........thats my 2 cents.

#43 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

I think that it is sad that because of a some arguments people no longer post here. A perfect example is jap xu1, If you have a look at his site he has made progress with the car yet he hasnt posted it here, and i dont blame him. I think that if its someones car then its up to them what to do with it, appreciate the time and effort they have taken to make their car what they wanted out of it.

I think that people also need to remember sometimes the people with the least to say are the ones you will always learn from. Like it was said earlier it would be a shame to lose some of our great members who have some extremely detailed knowledge about all sections of our cars and are happy to help and share that information. I think i asked datto an awful lot of questions about my brakes and he always helped in every way he could, even pointing me to someone in Brisbane who could make my brake lines.

Maybe before we bag someone out for what they are doing or have done we need to think about it a bit and remember were all here for one reason, were all nuts about Toranas or cars in general, Lets not wreck an absolutely awesome site for the sake of personal opinion over engine choices or how people improve their car.

And sometimes people just need to agree to disagree and let it go

#44 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:56 AM

"And I also re-write alot so people don't look around and say "This kid is a wanka" I get that alot on other forum's I go on, they down me cause im younger, these forums are mad but, and I rarely see problems"

Im with what Liam said, im only 18 but have spent the better part of the last 8 years playing with toranas and other old holdens, i dont claim to know a whole lot and if i see a question on here i dont know i go to my old man (he is computer illiterate) and ask him. What liam said about people not passing judgement as a young wanka is spot on :spoton: majority of people on here are willing to help out the younger blokes and i think it is acceptable to tell someone if what they are saying is incorrect, but hey manners go along way in life and blunt, rude or offensive comments dont help anything (although i havent encountered many) I used the old forums on and off, then didnt find the new ones for a while and then when i did forgot the adress.... (stupid me) now im here i cant pull myself from the screen. It seems the majority of people are knowledgable and good people, and i cant wait to meet some of you on the terrigal cruise and at toranafest. My mother brought me up to as tiny and others have said to "LIVE AND LET LIVE" and treat others the way you want to be treated.
(glandular fever makes you rant a bit... lol)
CHEERS :rockon: Chris

#45 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:09 PM

I believe Tiny does a fantastic job moderating these forums! and the others aren't bad at times either....

I have made many good friends from this website

Guy like:

Guns n Roses
Makka
LXCHEV
EHGIRL
Oldn64
Heath
Stedz lc
LUSHAS LH
and many others that i have met across the way, and im looking forward to meeting more of you torry nuts and sharing some good stories!

I have seen other forums come and go but this one just keeps going strong! there are many members that dont really contribute but will just read the posts and not say anything... it took me a while before i did my first post...
Then there are the ones who just get busy and loose interest... i know i dont post as much as i use to as i am just way to busy at the moment, but still have the same passion as i always have had for the site.

Many other members show the same passion, this was evident in the Drag Day, Forum Shirts and the Forum Stickers. Everyone here wants this forum to move forward! I love seeing a fellow forum members car in SM i show everyone and say I KNOW THAT GUY! (or girl) nothing beats networking!

Cheers

#46 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:13 PM

I can honeslty say this is the best site on the net i have come across. all the mods do a great job. i have very little knowledge but if i can give advice then i will but normaly am asking for more than i can give in return. i first became a member on the old forum Gump was my name but now im torrietree (girlfriend made it up we like torrie and my last names forrest so theres the tree). ive learnt more from this site than i did from two years automotive workshop at high school. i try and read most threads increase my knowleadge and its slowly getting there.

so thanks to every one that helps out with advice to everyone including and the mods you guys/girls rule

torrie tree gump annoying bastard

ps tiny didnt even get angry at me when i pm'ed him when i thought i saw his car in a mag even though the car i sam had two doors plus many other differnces :D :rolleyes:

#47 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:46 PM

Wow these replies are great.

Firstly for all the personal comments about me, All i can say is thanks! As ive always said, i dont do it for the pats on the back or the kudos.. I'm here cause this place is worth being here for! While I'm very active on here we have a great group of Admins and Mods who are supported by an excellent group of very knowledgable members that keep this place alive. Perosnally i know SFA compared to most, As Yellaslur said my knowledge is limited who what ive learnt by doing things and making mistakes on my own cars.. I'm no expert!
Torrietree: I remeber all too well what it was like to be a young bloke with dreams, thoughts and ideas and a head full of STUPID questions. It was people like Tinkers ( who ive knows for MANY years now) who put me on the right track in places like this forum, IRC chats etc. As long as you treat people with respect as you have shown to me in the PM you mention then you should always receive the same in return!

Remember..... The young Torana lovers are those who will keep our cars going when the older generation who grew up with these cars as they were built are gone.

Anyhow, Its great to see that everyone that has posted in this thread really can see what needs to happen to make ANY place a productive and enjoyable place to be in. I just hope that EVERY member reads this and takes in on board.
THose who dont, and who are seen to be causing problems consistantly or repeatedly WILL be dealt with in a manner that hasnt been seen alot on here. Mark my words!

Having said that, I'm personally interested in doing all that i can to regain the trust and good feeling of those members who we've lost due to these problems. I want to see this place prosper and become even better than it ever has been by having a good group of people who can share their knowledge to keep our beloved cars going! No matter what powerplant, fuel, or size of rim they run on!!

I've always tried to preach tollerance and i hope that EVERYONE can take something away from this thread and think about what theyre typing. I want to have discussion, lively discussion is great and i dont want people to feel that they are censored or that they have to censor their posts. I want everyone to CONTRIBUTE to the conversation. What i dont want to see is people's ideas, opinions and thoughts shot down or burnt because you dont agree with them! State your point... and move on! thats all there is to it!

I just ask for commen sense.. Think before you speak ( Type ) and if you have a problem with something that's been said.. Take it up with the person in a PM, or if it cant be resolved talk to a mod/admin.

Thanks everyone.. I hope these thoughts are read by ALL members.. we need to get this sorted! and in my opinion.. its pretty easy to sort out!

Cheers.

#48 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

I think maybe we should install a stress meter to forum entry, if u reach a certain level then access denied.

Seriously tho, humans are such competative gremlins. U will allways find those fighting to be at the top, some that r happy to sit in the middle and those who just like being in the back ground. Unfortunately with the way pecking order works u will allways end up with someones feathers ruffled.

Many times when there has been comments about other makes of cars I simply sum it up as healthy competition equal to a passionate footy supporter.

maybe where we have the post reply button we should have 'review and re think'.

I luv this site, personally i have never had probs with anyone. Generally if a comment is a bit iffy i shrug it off. But i have altered many a thread b4 I have posted it.

**kazzaz avetar shines some sun rays on all to help with the vitamin K we need in the cloudier weather. Other good mood food is bananas and Coopers sparkling.

I remember my first post ever >> topic something like Females taking over the male zone. This was in regard to myself noticing how many females own and drive hot cars nowadays. I got slapped by the mods and thread deleted. This taught me an early lesson to b politically correct and that the mods and admin care for the people that use their forums. I reckon that is one of the reasons I have been a long term member, knowing there is pple looking out for all is rare today.

GMH-torana dont go changing.

#49 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:07 PM

Keep up the good work Tiny and the rest of the mods

This forum rocks :rockon:

#50 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:26 PM

I remember my first post ever >> topic something like Females taking over the male zone. This was in regard to  myself noticing how many females own and drive hot cars nowadays. I got slapped by the mods and thread deleted.

Really? OK who deleted it?!?!?!
LOL Hope it wasnt me, us females have to stick together in this *cough* man's world *cough* :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users