22'S on a street driven Torana!

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#101 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:48 AM

They look sweet and fill the rim nicely...

I have chosen these for mine on the left (330mm rotor 4 pot caliper) and on the right (356mm rotor 8 pot caliper). The engineer wouldn't allow me to have small brakes with the power mine will make, therefore a larger rim will be needed indeed.

I used a 360mm front rotor with the 4 piston Brembo.....wanted to use the matching 8 piston AMG Brembo's that would suit my rotors...but the cost was just going to spiral out of control a tad, ha ha.

The front discs are 36mm thick too, so somewhat heavy at around 28 pounds each but great for thermal mass at least and should never over heat them hopefully or run out of brake for anything I should do with the car.

I was able to build the front brakes on my car very cheapy too...just by shopping around (and getting lucky too) Got the pair of brand new Brembo calipers for $150 (assembly line take-offs because they had some small scratches) and the rotors are $160 or so each right from Mercedes. The caliper mounts I made out of some 5/8" thick steel. The hub are billet steel ones from over there I got for nothing in a deal.

#102 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:58 AM

Oh and just another thing to mention....when going with the aftermarket brakes....not all wheels will clear the same as other. The drop bead on a soft lip style outer for example (like alot of the current billet wheels use) would never clear my setup (in an 18" wheel) so you sort of have to choose wheels right along side your brake setup when you get into the larger brake stuff.

#103 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

Arnt massive brakes abit of a negative after a certain point as its increasing your un-sprung weight and hurting handling, And then themself just become "bling" Unless you start going alloy hats and ceramic discs... Torana's are not that heavy of a car.

#104 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

Yes ^

But i think good brakes are a good excuse.

Now if Jeff threw a set of 22's on it i'd say he was bling bling champion hehehee.

Cheers.

#105 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

No 22's for me....or 20's for that matter even. :lol:

Oh, and I know someone who could have got me a "deal" on ceramic discs and all I could have made a setup for....but it's nice to have some money around to eat now and then as well as have the Torana :lol:

#106 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:45 AM

but it's nice to have some money around to eat now and then as well as have the Torana :lol:

What is this phenomenon you speak of??

#107 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

When you don't spend $15,000 or $20,000 on ceramic brakes...there is money for steaks. :D

#108 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hmmm, so in some strange world, there is a possibility of NOT impulse purchasing whatever looks or sounds cool in exchange for eating something other than 2 minute noodles???

May have to look into this.

Cheers.

#109 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:05 PM

No, not really.....but if you can sell something else off to help balance it off, that sorta helps....

I have a big pile of stuff that just landed there I had bought at the swap meets...sell that and help offset the goodies I came across to keep.

#110 Hell34

Hell34

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Name:Peter
  • Car:LH ,UC ,HQ GTS 350, 94 Camaro 648 ci

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

:Headbang2: Gay as all the fags will love you .

#111 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

Yeah good response mate sure your car looks schmick as with widned 12 slotters

#112 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

Arnt massive brakes abit of a negative after a certain point as its increasing your un-sprung weight and hurting handling, And then themself just become "bling" Unless you start going alloy hats and ceramic discs... Torana's are not that heavy of a car.

Yeah no shit and the gyroscopics of a nice big rotor like that don't help your steering either but you wouldn't know if all you did was cruise through carparks at 15km/h

#113 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

There are plenty of late model cars with large (14" or more) rotors and no ill effects for them...

#114 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

The laws of nature apply to anything, although they might be masked a bit by the strong power steering and layers of N.V.H. features hahaha.

New cars seem to have pretty good suspension geometry and low unsprung mass (sounds better than it is - shit breaks real easy! lol) so they can get away with certain things that we can't really get away with 'out of the box'. But it doesn't matter when your car was made, a stiffer sidewall means more direct suspension actuation which is a problem when you have a heavy live axle and a light car sitting above it.

#115 _AGGRSV_

_AGGRSV_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

This shit is getting too deep! :dohdoh:

#116 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

You're right, we only build cars so they are shiny and pretty to look at don't we? :dontknow:

#117 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

Form over function, Heath. :spoton:

Edited by slr_v8, 23 June 2011 - 10:37 PM.

#118 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:48 AM

Posted Image

#119 _AGGRSV_

_AGGRSV_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:04 PM

You're right, we only build cars so they are shiny and pretty to look at don't we? :dontknow:

Yeah well some people do... :badabing:

#120 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:08 PM

Takes all sorts.

#121 _TJ355_

_TJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

That's crazy 8 piston callipers on a Torana Wow!
and i recon 17's are the biggest id put on my torrie but each to there own

Edited by TJ355, 24 June 2011 - 07:39 PM.

#122 _AGGRSV_

_AGGRSV_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

And you take a look at the paint and panel work on most of todays unregistered drag cars... There paint jobs are worth more than you could imagine!

And yes they look nice and shiny.

Edited by AGGRSV, 24 June 2011 - 09:21 PM.

#123 _AGGRSV_

_AGGRSV_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:23 PM

That's crazy 8 piston callipers on a Torana Wow!
and i recon 17's are the biggest id put on my torrie but each to there own

If you are goning to put big diameter wheels on your car, you need to atleast make an attempt to fll the gap.

#124 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

Yeah good response mate sure your car looks schmick as with widned 12 slotters

i have 12 slotters on my stato
no way in hell i will leave them on when it hits the streets but :)

#125 _scottya!_

_scottya!_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

6 JD cans and 5 pages of reading hate for the big wheels.I would have to agree that there is a cut of point when big becomes to big. I think that the wheels on the OP is like a body builder who has a huge upper body and skinny little legs, not a good look. Maybe 3 inches less on the rear and a bit more dish on the front. My opinion only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users