Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

No link mate. Good result though. I am currently running the CCH304 Crane. I love it but a nice little solid would probably get better results power wise. The heads are built for it anyway.

#102 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Yeah I am pretty happy with it, mind you I have spent a few dollars to get it where it is now. Had to change my push rods also to Manton restricted orifice 8.7 as the ones I had just weren't good enough for the solid cam. Putting in new yella terra brass guide plate inserts too. After these 2 things are put in its back into the car and hopefully on the road for a cruise I am very much looking forward to.

#103 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Mine has the yella terra guide plates to. They definitely do the job nicely.

#104 Punchy

Punchy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Name:Scott McCulloch
  • Car:77' Lx Hatch

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Heres my old combo which i ran in a stock bodied lx sedan back in mid 90's
There are some many people that to this day never believed what it did as a combination, but i built it as a street car friday night special and it performed exactly as expected in the end.
Revved like a gun going off and could make it idle @ 900 rpm if i wanted it too. Loved seeing it rocking the car around at idle.

I still have the same core of this engine now however i am changing it to be a bit more friendly with todays degraded fuel quality and a few more street manners

Blue motor 308 block bored 60
standard blue rods - arp bolts
1977 L34 style slipper pistons .060 - 850 grams each !
Standard 308 crank - ..assembly balance by balancing legend. Rod farrel. Neutral balance
Zero deck height
Fel-pro 40 tho blue head gaskets
Arp Head stud kit
Heads ported by 'The head works' Randell Phuel - Former Australian Super street champion
Heads flowed By Ultra Flow -Ian Moody made 377hp @ 10 Inches hg
Combustion chambers @ 55 cc ..decked a shit load
1.940 and 1.60 stainless wasted stem valves.
145 Lb seat / 385 nose pressure Manton dual valve springs , moly locks and retainers
Machine for screw in studs, Arp rocker 7/16 studs and locks
Crane gold 1.65 ratio roler rockers
Ivan Tighe 764r Solid roller camshaft 764R 80 32 47 71 292 308 251 256 0.577" 0.594" 0.022" 0.020" Road / Drag 4000 - 7500 RPM
Port matched Cain Tunnel ram Manifold
Matched holley 465 vac Secondary Carbs - Done by myself - Extensively modded by Craig "bart" Simpson.
Standard Distributor - Mechicacally regraphed by Myself and Craig. Zero Vac Advance ( module removed ) RedLine twin Point plate installed Small cap standard crap sillicone leads Standard ngk plugs
PCV vented to manifold

Gearbox - th400 built by me with transgo stage 3 kit - full manualised
Convertor 3800/4000 - Built By Craig Simpson "Pink Bits convertors"

Back too Fine Spline Banjo Diff REbuilt by me and running 23' inch sf 340 eagers on 7inch hotwires

This engine consistnatly never failed to impress anyone that went for a ride.
Never lost a race ANd constantly came from behind and went past the opposition in street based events.............
Due to the diff if could never jump on it out of the hole and never got around to fixing that issue due to lack of funds
But ! To its credit It ran down Cars that were doing 11.3's. Big block, small block and nitrous. In consitantly never failed to impress But the only thing about it was hungry on plugs and loved Clean air filters.
I measured tghe vaccum at idle one day and 2 inched of vaccum at idle sort of tends to give you give you the outcome of foulled plugs but it was a small price to pay.

One day i used it as the tow car for Former Super street champion Randells Phuels monaro when at willowbank raceway.
It so happened that Victory Bray turned up in his truck and trailer combo ( just after he made the big step up in transport with castrol sponsorship) Turned his rig off and was looking at our pit area.. He looked at Randells car and then mine, sitting there lumping oh so impressively .. Victor said...Which ones the race car....I was a happy boy after those comments..

Just wish i'd gotten more of a chance to get more track timee with that car then, cause it happens to still cause many smiles and converations at blokes mens sheds parties i've attended
.... :driving:

Edited by Punchy, 23 November 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#105 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Name:Garth
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

355 Harrop stroker crank
ARP Main stud kit
ARP rod bolts with 308 spike conrods VT type
Clevite bearings
Arias forged flat top pistons 30 thou
10.2 to 1 comp
Standard VT heads with upgraded springs to suit cam with Crane hardened retainers
Crane hydraulic roller cam part # 888151 grind number HR-228/352 -2S-10F
Yella Terra 1.6 to 1 roller rockers
hardened pushrods
standard VT roller lifters
Rollmaster premium cam gearset
Sealed power moly fileback rings
Powerbond harmonic balancer
baffled "standard" sump
JP high volume oil pump
Fully balanced
Bosch 044 pump
Standard banana manifold
Blue top injectors

This combo made 278 RWHP and has kept me happy for nearly 2 years great fun to drive and has run a best time of 13.1.

Finally bit the bullet and committed to getting another manifold and throttle body found a Harrop single plane high rise and EFI Hardware 1000cfm throttle body on Gumtree got the manifold jet hot coated fitted it all up and took it to Perth today to get tuned .

Alan Gibbs gave it the Kalmaker treatment

335 RWHP :clappin: Can't wait to take it to the track and see how much difference 57 RWHP makes i allways heard how restrictive the banana manifold but didn't expect to get this much gain stoked.

#106 _V6 UC_

_V6 UC_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

Nice gain! What dyno did he tune it on

#107 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Name:Garth
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hayden we spent half a day on Alans driveway fitting a inlet air temp and MAP sensor up and wireing in and on first start up was only running on 7 after a bit of ginning and swapping plugs first then injectors it all came good and we went straight down to injection connection and used his dyno.

#108 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Mine has the yella terra guide plates to. They definitely do the job nicely.

Waiting on those to be installed together with the new push rods. Once there in its all systems go then put a few km's on it before hopefully going to Heathcote on Boxing day to see what it can really do, can't wait :driving:

#109 _walkinshaw_

_walkinshaw_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

In a VK Brock I have a Craig Brewer built original 308, now a 355.
Engine dynoed at 540 HP
Harrop crank,Perkins pistons and Harrop High rise manifold, o'ringed block,
Custom made extractors with dual 3” system, Hooker mufflers.
Barry Grant Gold Claw carby
Tremek TKO 5spd with Mal Woods clutch
Borg Warner 3.5lsd with 31 spline Billet axels

Shes a beauty.

#110 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

time for an update for the 308 junkies.

last year i completed targa south west and targa west. i broke a header at targa west, no biggy but engine out to replace extractors.

so since i had been giving the engine a hard time, i opened it up for a look, good news best it has ever looked, so back together with new rings bearings and gaskets. so all the internals havent changed from previous.

while going back together, i got my hands on a harrop single plane manifold to try from a mate, see what it does, this also led to a new cold air tray, encases the whole carby not just the air cleaner.

now its been back running again for a while but with targa south west coming up again decided to get the mixtures checked on the dyno.

1st pull 370hp rear wheel, sick. made a jet change, adjust timing, next pull 394hp. everyone at the workshop said yeah great good power for a holden v8, then we told them it was still a 308, this made there eyes open and ears prick up a bit more hahaha. so mixtures are good haha,

394hp and 610nm :rockon:

#111 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Well done big guy

#112 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

awesome :spoton:

#113 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Nice work!, Awesome power for a 308!

#114 boblhslr

boblhslr

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hey ozyozyozy do you have any pics of the cold air tray you made. Thinking of putting one on my 308 drag car.

Thanks

#115 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

Very impressive indeed. 

We are going to have our club dyno run next month so it will be interesting to get a comparison of figures on another dyno. My engine has losened up a bit now too so keen to see what I get this time.

#116 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

thanks guys. sorry dont have pics of the tray. ill try but cant promise, my internet access is limited.

its a 2.5mm sheet of alloy that mounts between the carby and manifold, had to make some holes and channels, for carby to sit on. then fitted foam around the sides between tray and bonnet, next time engine comes out ill make up some proper sides for it, this will make it easier to look in the engine bay with a dummy block and heads in place.

there is a very noticeable difference in temp of the carby(alot cooler) which is always a good thing.

#117 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

My 308 combo

-standard stroke crank
-l34 X rods
-acl race series pistons
-crane 288 solid cam
-ported and polished pre poll red heads
-stripmaster manifold
-750hp carb
-msd ignition
-11:1 comp ratio

unknown HP as i havent had it dynoed any guesses?

Went for its first time down the strip on the weekend best time was 12.2@114mph with a  2.077 60 foot time that was with 3.5 diff gearing and shitty 10 year old tyres going to get some et street radials and try and drop into the 11.9's cant get off the line decently with the shit tyres i have still haven't dynoed the engine to see what it makes but im pretty stoked with its first time down the strip

#118 _mumbo_

_mumbo_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Ran mine up again the other week she made 398.9hp through a 5000rpm high stall ;)

#119 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

^ Very nice.

#120 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

I have gained 8 RWHP since the engine has loosend up now too.  Hit the 290RWHP mark.

#121 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

I engine dynoed a stoke stroke 308 this week that I recently freshened up and changed a few details....

Flat tops and seriously shaved VL heads for 11:1 comp, heads were ported but nothing special.

Clive solid cam, 253/253 @ 050 on 105 LSA, Performer, 650 carb and rusty HQ 1 5/8" Tri Y pipes.

Made 414HP @ 6500 and 382 Ftlb @ 4400.

Will be going back into a VK Calais soon and will be heading back to the track (ran mid 13's before).

A good combo that would make a great street/strip engine on a budget.

#122 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Bloody impressive. Local car I am guessing?

#123 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

400 out of any old carby heads is nothing to be sneezed at.

#124 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

Bloody impressive. Local car I am guessing?

Yes, from your side of town !

400 out of any old carby heads is nothing to be sneezed at.

I was quite happy with it, expected 380-400 so was pleasantly surprised.

#125 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

Was in Adelaide over the week and we finaly got the A9X stock stroke Dash 11 headed 308 going great! Would be well over 400 horses, on the Quarter Junior Program it predicted 450 and I recon it would be all of that the way the car goes. Lights the 265 cup tyres up so easy just accelarating, no clutching it and has a lots of torque for a 308. Stongest 308 I have ever been in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users