removing bearing from steering coloume 'coffe pot'

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#26 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:41 AM

I bought a new lower bearing for my car from the Chevy dealer here actually...guy said it fit Corvettes, other cars, vans even I think,etc.

Hadn't thought of checking for the upper, since it was in good nick on mine.

#27 _BIGCAV_

_BIGCAV_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

just got back from rare spares. sadly they dont make them anymore, so now im stuck. prob have to look into getting a bearing made to suit

G/day Brendan

AFAIK Rare Spares never made repro upper column bearings, they just bought up the last of the stock that GMH had.
Les or Cavan may like to correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll have a look tonight and see what I've got laying around.
PM you soon.

Cheers
Dave.

Your Correct, initially we bought all of Holdens stock then when we ran out we bought up all of GM's stock but its now all gone as far as we are aware.

we are currently working on something though so ill let you know how we go

#28 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

If you could find a coffee pot assembly from a VK or VL commodore with a bearing in good condition, could that be used? I'm wondering if the coffee pot itself is the same because I'm thinking of fixing up the column in my Torana soon aswell, as there's quite a bit of up and down play in the column.

#29 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

WB and Commodore coffee pots are different as they have a hole in the top for the hazard light switch. Other than that you can make them fit, as the bolts don't quite seem to line up the same. That's what i found in trying to fit a VC unit to my HJ many, many moons ago.

#30 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for that Chopper. Just wondered basically. Still tossing up whether to replace the upper bearing in the coffee pot I've got or look for a coffee pot with a good condition bearing.

#31 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

I'd just replace the housing. Then once it's off, try replace the bearing. That way if you break it, it won't matter as much.

#32 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

Whatever you do it has to be solid, otherwise you could have a steering wheel with half the shaft in your hands

#33 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

Or through your chest.

#34 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:56 AM

Been looking and thinking about this as my next project.
Primary problem here is doing something that will retain the shaft in the pot so the shaft cant come out.
From what i can see at the moment is that most bearings are a little shagged and sloppy? not completely knackered.
If you look at the bottom of the pot their is a fairly deep and empty hole.
My notion is that if you could fit a bearing in this hole and take away all the lateral load from the top bearing, this would improve the steering, get rid of the sloppyness but still retain the old bearing to do what it has done for 30+ years, just hold the shaft in the column.
So far ive found the following sizes to work with, shaft 0.750"(3/4"), bottom end of the hole 1.125"(1-1/8") not a lot of room here and the length is not an issue that i can see.
Also this 1-1/8" end gets bigger deeper in, looks to be about 1-1/4"?, and might allow for a 1" long needle bearing.
Doesn't matter what you do here as it does nothing now.
I'll add on here as this progresses.

#35 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

Spoke to CBC yesterday and he was able to get the bearing and inner ring i wanted, picked them up today and machined the pot.
Bearing part numbers and again not so cheap :( but gives an excelent result that leaves the shaft free to collapse if the worst was to happen.
1 x S1616 Needle bearing (1.250" OD and 1.00" long) $25.00
1 x P121616 Inner ring (0.750" ID and 1.00" long) $73.00, ouch again!!

Pot machined and bearing fitted.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Inner ring fitted to shaft.
Posted Image

Shaft installed.
Posted Image

Moved bearing a little deeper (Now directly behind the old bearing)
Posted Image

#36 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

Paul,

Really keen to learn more on your top bearing fix please as it appears mine is shot.
  • Clearly you retained the rolled centre section that retains the bearing at the top of the pot - correct?
  • You say the pot was 'machined' - Do you mean (from the bottom) the ID of the bearing collar was widened a tad to fit the new bearing?
  • Who does this sort of thing - machining a pot?
  • How did you get the old bearing out exactly?
The steps seem simple (assuming I have understood them correctly)
1. Remove old bearing,
2. Get new bearings,
3. Have pot ID of bearing collar within the pot machined to suit new bearing
4. Install it all

Tell me, is there anything else I should be think about, or things you'd do differently if doing all over again?

Appreciate whatever advice you can lend.

Cheers, TB

#37 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

Looks like the old bearing stays put?

#38 _gsh253_

_gsh253_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

tyre biter
leave old bearing in place
req needle bearing no S 121616
req harden bush no PI 121616
machine underside of coffe pot to take needle bearing
slip harden bush on steering shaft past second circlip
re install sencond circlip
install coffe pot
slip harden bush into needle bearing
you will also have to loctite needle bearing to coffe pot
and loctite bush to s/shaft
have just finished this job wainting on loctite to go off
cost on bearings and bush $79.00
have own lathe, need to thank paul great idea
hope this helps
cheers vic

#39 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Thanks Vic - very kind of you.

A couple more questions arising;

leave old bearing in place
Mine is shagged - very gritty and since I have been mucking about with it trying to clean it up it has only gotten worse. I now see it is sloppy and there are ball-bearings either missing or rolling up on each other inside the race - hard to tell. Should I attempt to pull the ball-bearings out of the race to leave just the bearing body behind, or just leave them there?

machine underside of coffe pot to take needle bearing
Do you mean open up the inside of the column within the coffee pot to get rid of that lip and to allow the new needle bearing to slide in from underneath, or do you mean machine it in another way?

Ordered the bearings for this job and the bottom today - thanks to Brad (hanra) and Paul (LX2DR) for the part numbers.

Thanks again and cheers, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 10 July 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#40 _gsh253_

_gsh253_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

TB
Bottom of old bearing locates position of coffee pot in relation to steering shaft Re (second circlip)
so i would leave old bearing in place.
Machine centre bush ( approx 28mm before machining) of coffee pot from bottom side up to bottom of old bearing
to take new bearing ( approx 31.75mm after maching) does not leave much material on bush but will be fine
when new bearing sits down in the casting areas of coffee pot. That small lip at the bottom of coffee bush will disapear
with machining.Personally i would do this mod first before attempting to remove old needle rollers you could try repacking with
some grease to keep them in place.
vic

#41 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Paul,

Really keen to learn more on your top bearing fix please as it appears mine is shot.

• Clearly you retained the rolled centre section that retains the bearing at the top of the pot - correct?
  • You say the pot was 'machined' - Do you mean (from the bottom) the ID of the bearing collar was widened a tad to fit the new bearing?
  • Who does this sort of thing - machining a pot?
  • How did you get the old bearing out exactly?
The steps seem simple (assuming I have understood them correctly)
1. Remove old bearing,
2. Get new bearings,
3. Have pot ID of bearing collar within the pot machined to suit new bearing
4. Install it all

Tell me, is there anything else I should be think about, or things you'd do differently if doing all over again?

Appreciate whatever advice you can lend.

Cheers, TB

Hi Craig, answers to your points and questions.
""You have to leave the old bearing in the pot"", its what holds the shaft in place, so yes the rolled section is still their.
I'm lucky enough to own my own Bridgeport milling machine, Posted Image
so i vertically bored the back of the pot to remove the lip and had to take a little out the rest of the way down to make room for the needle bearing, i didnt have to use loctite here as i left a press fit (Not too much as i didnt want to split the pot) the needle bearing is behind the old bearing.
I do all my own machining.
I didnt and will/would not remove the top bearing under any circumstances.

1. leave the bearing alone, clean it and grease it only.
2. definately get new bearing. (Needle bearing)
3. Take the pot to a machine shop to be machined, or send it to me, as i said earlier in this thread im happy to do it for you for a small cost of my time plus postage. I'm pretty sure a machine shop will be more expensive? It will also be a one off for them, ive already done it and know whats involved and have made some adapters to line it all up on the mill prior to machining and am ready to go. (If you already have the bearing you can send it to and i'll fit it at the same time for you.)
4. Yes reassemble and install

Wouldnt change anything, it works that good.

In the end, if your bearing is so bad that the center of the bearing is already pulling out, you probably need a better one.
All lateral/radial load is removed from the old bearing, it is only their holding the shaft in place so even if the bearing is gritty you wont feel it unless you are pushing forward or pulling back on the wheel.

P.S. i also have a lathe but decided that the mill was the best way to machine it as its a bit fragile and awkward to grab on the sides, whereas i was able to clamp it nicely on the mill bed without fear of crushing it.

Edited by LX2DR, 10 July 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#42 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Vic,
Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

Paul,
Thank you also - what a machine!
New PM coming.

Cheers, TB

#43 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Well I had my coffee pot machined for the bearing remedy provided by LX2DR (Paul).
It was arranged through a friend of a friend and so wasn't present when done, but a reportedly very fancy CNC type machine was used that (apparently) can work to the fourth decimal of a mm - must be an amazing machine.

Posted Image

The coffee pot has been bored to allow an 'interference fit' - apparently a very tight fit not likely to require Loctite, but jeepers it is tight and I'll see how I go getting it into place.

The only issue I see is the fella doing this for me stopped about 10mm shy of the existing bearing and so I will need to place the sleeve very carefully on the steering column shaft to mate it up. I hope there are not issues arising from having this a tad further down the shaft than Paul and Vic (gsh253) have done.

Just need to wash the existing bearing out using Ethyl Alcohol (I was told) and then paint the pot before fitting it up.

Thanks again Paul and Vic for your advice on all of this.

Cheers, TB

#44 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Well I had my coffee pot machined for the bearing remedy provided by LX2DR (Paul).
It was arranged through a friend of a friend and so wasn't present when done, but a reportedly very fancy CNC type machine was used that (apparently) can work to the fourth decimal of a mm - must be an amazing machine.

Posted Image

The coffee pot has been bored to allow an 'interference fit' - apparently a very tight fit not likely to require Loctite, but jeepers it is tight and I'll see how I go getting it into place.

The only issue I see is the fella doing this for me stopped about 10mm shy of the existing bearing and so I will need to place the sleeve very carefully on the steering column shaft to mate it up. I hope there are not issues arising from having this a tad further down the shaft than Paul and Vic (gsh253) have done.

Just need to wash the existing bearing out using Ethyl Alcohol (I was told) and then paint the pot before fitting it up.

Thanks again Paul and Vic for your advice on all of this.

Cheers, TB

Hi Craig

That looks the goods, well done.

As i have said, set the inner ring down the shaft until the rest is assembled, then push the ring back to the bearing, flush with end of the needle, cant go wrong!

Paul

#45 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Thanks Paul - glad it passed muster.
Appreciate the tip as well re: aligning the sleeve an roller bearing up.
Cheers, TB

#46 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

the new bearing i did get has givin in now.

does anyone know if the lx/lh coffee pot/bearings is the same as the lc/lj?

#47 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

I am having a dickens of a time getting the spring and cir-clip back onto the top of the shaft.
I've compressed the spring in a vice and tried both thin gauge wire and also thing tip ties - no luck.
Neither have the strength to keep the spring compressed enough and often fail when I have to tap the spring home on the shaft given the tolerance between the ID of the spring and the OD of the shaft is so tight.
How have others gotten the spring compressed and on the shaft to take the top washer and cir-clip?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, TB

#48 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

i use a cutoff piece of industrial electrical conduit.
i put the spring on, washer , then slip the circlip over the shaft, and push down with the conduit.

as the circlip hits its recess it pops in. Bingo.

Don't use too much force as you will pop the shear pins lower down the shaft.

#49 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

I did something similar but with a piece of alloy I machined to size. If you cut the tube to the right length then you can use the steering wheel nut to crush the spring.

#50 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Thanks guys,
I considered this but thought it likely to bugger the cir-clip given the shaft OD is greater.
Thought it might twist or bend it, but clearly I need not worry - you've done it without issue.
Thanks for your advice.
Cheers, TB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users