Not The Kingswood!

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#51 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

You deserve a drink for that one. I soo don't want to see mine - I know it's going to be ugly.

Hey at least it can only get easier after this job. Good on ya.

#52 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

well done josh progress is coming along good keep at it!

#53 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:56 PM

Cheers Tweety.. I hope it gets easier. It is a major step in the restoration of it and i am over the moon.

Note to all make sure you clean your drain tubes every time you wash your car.. Otherwise you can see the damage the blockage can make in the previous pics.

#54 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:15 PM

Found this picture while going through some photos. I think its the late 80's or early 90's. A world away from what it looks like now.

Posted Image

#55 _billywest_

_billywest_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:40 PM

Found this picture while going through some photos. I think its the late 80's or early 90's. A world away from what it looks like now.

Posted Image

NOT THE KINGSWOOD WOODSYPosted Image

#56 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

I just polished the aerial!

#57 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

I just polished the aerial!

Shampoo the dip stick :sofa:

#58 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:17 PM

Its sitting untouched at the moment, since the panel below the windscreen has been taken off i haven't touched it due to lack of funds and equipment. I think i may go down the sandblaster route with the plenum out to get rid of all the rust in that area and start completely fresh. Going to have to learn to weld and fabricate before i can fix the plenum chamber itself as it is quite bad in the corners. But stay tuned.

#59 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

Its sitting untouched at the moment, since the panel below the windscreen has been taken off i haven't touched it due to lack of funds and equipment. I think i may go down the sandblaster route with the plenum out to get rid of all the rust in that area and start completely fresh. Going to have to learn to weld and fabricate before i can fix the plenum chamber itself as it is quite bad in the corners. But stay tuned.

Learning how to weld is a great idea mate
Practice makes perfect.
Mig weld for plug welding whole panels
Oxy for welding patches in panels is best but you can still use mig
If you go to the wreckers buy a shity cheap bonnet etc and cut out a squre section and weld another piece in. The piece you weld in take it from another part of the panel, preferably larger than the hole you need to fill, so you can practice tracing the exact size.

#60 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:34 PM

Plug welding

#61 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

Ok why i am waiting to get some of the car blasted i have decided to have a go at replacing some of a door skin.

I was originally going to get rid of this door and replace it with a better one but have decided to teach myself on it as well as reading the sticky on replacing the door skin.

With this door i was not going to replace the whole skin but rather parts of it.

I am a beginner welder.. the last real welding i did was back in high school 9 years ago.

Heres the door. It flares out at the front of it at the bottom not sure why but it does. Maybe it was all the bog i put in it the first time i had to get it registered.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The section where you would normally rest your arm has rust holes in it as you can see above. Work will start on it tomorrow and i will put pics up as i go. The aim is to have a quality repair and save myself some money at the same time and show beginners can do it too!

#62 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

jesus christ! suprised the hinges are still together with the weight of the bog in that door!!
is that your bog job? thats a fail josh! LOL

#63 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

LOL i was 18/19 when i did that to get it past rego so i could drive it up here when we moved... Horrible i know.. lol

#64 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:09 PM

sanding is overrated! LOL

#65 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:39 PM

You should see the rh rear 1/4 then.... lol

#66 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

Here you go Em Keep in mind this was afew years ago... lol...

Attached Files

#67 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:01 AM

hahahaha, thats classic dude!

#68 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:08 AM

HAHAHAHA! it looks like you made a Pavlova!

#69 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:36 AM

Lol.. Bit of chicken wire / fibreglass & Bog. Drove it around like that for a year, the things we do to get a car regoed...

#70 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

reminds me of the front guards on my Sigma, cept the bog was pink....

#71 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

Got stuck into the door today.

I don't have panel stands so i had to make do with my trolley.

As you can see the door was in a bad state but i didn't know it was quite THIS bad. Once i had removed all of the bog this is what remains.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I turned the door over and found the all the spot welds by using the flap disc on my angle grinder.
Posted Image
Changed to a grinding disc and ground all the spot welds out
Posted Image

I measured from the centre line where the bump strips normally mount down 300mm to get a straight line to cut the actual skin. Once that was done the skin came off revealing this
Posted Image

The door frame needs some work too.
Posted Image

I did find some extra bog quite thick in places from a previous repair / cover up job
Posted Image

Back to the flap disc on the grinder to see what lay beneath all the scale
Posted Image

The doors rust out so badly because it only has 2 drain holes in the bottom of the door and if they get blocked the door simply fills up with water and rusts away. I plan on adding 2-3 extra drain holes the same shape as the originals so they look like they should be there.

More to come! Don't mind my messy Garage!! Its about to get a clean out.

Edited by Woodsy, 21 January 2010 - 12:24 PM.

#72 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

I'm impressed that your bothering to repair that rust, i have a heap of kingsy doors lying around that i wouldn't even bother repairing, and they only have one or two 20c pieces of rust in them. Your keen :spoton:.

Supercheap sell a small sand blaster for <$30 that would be perfect at cleaning up that rust scale, i use mine on all sorts of small jobs its great.

#73 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

Hi

Looks like you have a fair bit of work in front of you fixing the doors, but if you handy with a welder in sure you will get there.
My old boss threw out door that had far less rust.
Your not going to change you name to Ted Bullpit lol.
Chears Neil

#74 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:53 PM

Thanks fellas.. Yet to find out if i am handy with a welder but i will soon find out. Jabba the main reason for repairing it is to teach myself as i go.. Kingswood doors in good condition are selling for $300+ which is just out of my price range.

#75 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

$300, where are you looking :dontknow:. You can pickup entire hq's for less than that! If your ever heading through Dubbo ill give you a heep of doors, they have rust but not that bad!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users