60 replies to this topic

#1 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:40 PM

My old man is in the industry and was passed on a smidgen of information regarding new legislation currently bring passes in NSW parliament regarding the modification of cars. The bloke that told my step dad is an engineer and had been informed of the legislation as it will virtually put all in NSW out of business- the main gist of it was that it will become ILLEGAL to modify (any aftermarket accessory in terms of engines etc and no wheel sizes beyond the 2 inch larger legal size limit) And to further the problem it wont matter if you get it engineered they wont allow it to be registered. This will only apply to cars produced after ADR legislation (LH and beyond i think). so people with older cars will be sweet in terms of performance stuf, but NO MORE ENGINE SWAPS, this means no V8s in LJ/LCs or any thing like that. The law is said to be set to come in in august sometime, and is being kept very hush hush to stop any public protest. Anything engineered previous to the laws intoduction will be sweet, but after that :cry: The engineers are the first in the automotive industry to be informed, and all those who pass cars for pink/blue slips are supposedly next to be informed. This was just what one engineer has told the guys around my step dads compound (panel beaters, mechanics ets) Has anyone else heard anything like this?? i know there are some police officer members in this forum, maybe someone can shed some light.
CHEERS Chris :rockon:

#2 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:45 PM

Dear lord, i'd hate to be a car enthusist in NSW, they better not do anything like this in vic

#3 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:56 PM

I haven't heard anything about these proposed changes but the politicians don't consult with the police they just tell you want to do. Also spoke to my mechanic who does pink slips and blue slips, he hasn't heard anything either. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. Regards Mick.

#4 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:05 PM

Yes guys it is going to happen to what extent im not sure but anyone out there with a project underway talk to a engineer get a approval in princible this means you can still get it passed when the laws do change .

#5 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:13 PM

I can't see this being true seeing that all States and Territories have signed off on the new National Code of Practice which has been in the making for 7 years. Doesn't sound right to me..

#6 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:44 PM

Hmm sounds like something they would try and do.. However are they willing to put thousands of people out of business and out of work just to stop people modifying cars.. I think if this law was passed, a few ton of shit would hit the fan!

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:41 PM

I think what your uncle is talking about is the new ADR's. I've heard this too, but only will apply to vehicles after ???? From what I heard, it takes Australia to European Emission Standards.

I don't think the sky is falling as yet.

#8 _wasted_youth_

_wasted_youth_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:48 PM

If thats true thats absolute bullshit.. What dont they want kids getting involved in hobbies like cars.. What would they rather a bunch of drug addicts. Im sorry but all the governments want to do is limit the fun and enjoyable things people do in there spare time so people just resort to other things like drugs, drinking,,, and whatever else. i would say that us people who do up our cars treat them with more respect than just anyone who buys a commondore and so on... bguck THE bguckIN BUROCRATS they can suck my dick,,, ill put a blown 454 in a LC and smoke it up in front of the wankers house if they pass those laws just to piss them off. bguck im mad,,

#9 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:15 PM

bguck THE bguckIN BUROCRATS they can suck my dick,,, ill put a blown 454 in a LC and smoke it up in front of the wankers house if they pass those laws just to piss them off. bguck im mad,,

Im with you, If they did such a thing the law will lose a heap off respect from many of us... Poeple will be driving unregisterd cars alot more...

John

#10 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:18 PM

Relax, I'm sure it's the new ADR for new cars, then on top of that you have the new Australian Light Vehicle Modification Standards. Redslur was telling me about them a while back. I don't have the exact info, so I won't post anything about it till I do. Redslur might like to enlighten us.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 03 June 2006 - 11:20 PM.

#11 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:47 PM

Then new cars will be coming out with the common 'mods' as options so they are legal. Probably every car will come in a turbo model haha. all will have 20" mags as an option.

So people cant do the mods themselves, just order the mods and they do it at the factory. Of course this only works if YOU buy the car brand new...

#12 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:01 PM

I think what your uncle is talking about is the new ADR's. 

Not my uncle mate, my step dad.

Also spoke to my mechanic who does pink slips and blue slips, he hasn't heard anything either

My mum works for a large machanics here on the coast and they have not been informed either, but the engineer who we heard this off, said that the engineers were the first to be informed of the change and pink slip place will soon have new pages to add to their rego books. I too hope that its not as bad as he is making out, but there is always the chance, and yes SHIT WILL HIT THE FAN, as this would kill the performance aftermarket industry in NSW, however it'll make a more viable market for pre ADR cars.... buy up no and sell em off to all the young blokes who will be after cars :spoton: anyhow, i thought id post what id heard and see if anyone else had heard something else. Sometimes it helps to get prior notification of something...

#13 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:12 PM

you can always drive a non nsw registered car in nsw though. There will always be a way to get around it, just need to know somone in another state, and thats where forums like this can help each other out.

It would be nice once a year to take the car for a long drive for a pink slip, and then do the rest over the web ( rego and green slip ), and im sure that there would be mechanics on this forum in other states who would love the extra businness ( plus help out another torana lover ). Its probably the right time to buy a mechanics shop just on the otherside of the nsw border.

cheers julian

#14 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:41 PM

that would be al well and good however if its found out that your car is registered in another state (say VIC) and you live in NSW they can INSTANTLY cancel your registration and serious fines apply. You can drive it round for three month periods before its supposed to return to the original state for some time. Im fairly sure what i wrote is correct.

#15 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 04:59 PM

What? Why are you concerned?
Honestly, i'd be looking ahead that in 10-15 years - I'd be more concerned about the $5/L price tag at the bowser than whether or not I can modify my combustion engine that runs on liquid diamonds and gold.

Fuel prices are going to kill a bazillion more jobs before society throws its arms up and says enough is enough; time for an alternative - than any modification law could ever possibly dream of.

Edited by Loki, 04 June 2006 - 05:00 PM.

#16 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:06 PM

Sounds like its a good time to get into hot rods in NSW :spoton: I have heard that the new laws will kill modifications to new cars. Dont know how the older cars stack up. Still wont stop people doing internal engine mods and stuff that you cant easliy pick up. God dam fun nazis, i bet they where the first to have a good time when they where young. Is it like an initiation to become a true polititian that you have to outlaw something that you used to enjoy doing?

#17 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:21 PM

Is it like an initiation to become a true polititian that you have to outlaw something that you used to enjoy doing?

HAHA, yeh i could just see Morris Iemma in a little ricer HAHA. Yeah its said that the law will only apply to cars produced after the introduction of ADR which was anythin post LH i believe. And i asked the same question about hot rods, will they be exempt from the laws as they are "purpose" built or completely new builds..... alot of issues arise with this ay.
CHEERS chris :rockon:

#18 _lctorrie_

_lctorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:46 PM

No engine swaps ha ha ha . please tell me your taking the piss out of us. If this is true i can see a riot happening.

#19 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:06 PM

i shit you not mate. Its what ive been told and from a reputable source. i wish i was taking the piss outa you guys. :cry:

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:17 PM

Good old Labour Government, they have, and continue to screw this state. I hoped things might improve when MR corrupt stepped down, but his follower is just as bad

#21 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

Is it like an initiation to become a true polititian that you have to outlaw something that you used to enjoy doing?

HAHA, yeh i could just see Morris Iemma in a little ricer HAHA. Yeah its said that the law will only apply to cars produced after the introduction of ADR which was anythin post LH i believe. And i asked the same question about hot rods, will they be exempt from the laws as they are "purpose" built or completely new builds..... alot of issues arise with this ay.
CHEERS chris :rockon:

ADR's where earlier than lh I belive. LJ's are subject to ADR's, seatbelts is one of them. Dont ask me when they come in(someone here will know), all I know is that my LJ is subject to ADR's when built

#22 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

Im not sure bout that one but my old man was saying that the cut off was LH and he rekoned thats when the ADR applicable to this situation came into force. because as soon as i heard about it i freaked and he assured me my plans for supercharging my 202 wernt quite dashed, they have already been set back by the P-plate conditions. The government continues to shit on the performance market bacause bguckwits who love to think they can drive because they have seen it on telly or in fast and the furious keep writing themselves off in heap of shit plastic cars, i can pull 200 ks in my charade, acceleration doesnt kill them its the speed they reach and the instant stop. I'm not saying because i have been racing karts, and now cars since i was like 7 that i should be allowed to drive faster, but i understand that the road is not the place for enourmously high speeds, its a matter of respect and brains. Sorry for the rant but im sick of all the bgucks at skool who have their P's now and are claiming to be "good drivers" because they have reached this speed on this road and lost it sideways round corners, lack of control is not skill. im done now i think
CHEERS Chris :rockon: majority of this post has nothing to do with the topic i originally started but felt it nessecary

#23 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:53 AM

Ahh yes i remember when everyone I knew got there licence. They could all do 140 plus in their shit box colts and lasers :D Just proves that having low powered cars dosent stop speeding :finger: As for the ADR ruling, lets just say Im glad Im not in NSW.

#24 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:25 PM

fellas the government and the newspaper killed the xu2 over 30 years ago... by the sounds there up to the same old tricks

#25 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:00 AM

Hi chevy_253_torana.

It wasn't called the XU-2 it was called the XU-1 V8. The XU-2 was an LH.

(Runs for cover !!)

Dr Terry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users