Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:27 AM

should have seen something comming :furious:
look at all the news hype re: hooning ricers after bringing in anti hoon laws
everyone in the modified car sceen is being set up :huh:

#52 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:46 AM

What dont they want kids getting involved in hobbies like cars..

Well, if you paint a picture that the only alternative hobbies are drug taking, alcoholism and vandalism then cars would be a better option.

Loki and Bart have some good points........so hotting up cars might have to go? Well you can do them up, but driving them might be the hard thing.
It would be irresponsible of any government to promote motoring as a hobbie. Its expensive(therefore exclusive by nature), is going to be more so, and causes a significant impact on the environment and the community.
There are other things one can do..........start at the library....especially things that will increase fitness.

#53 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:17 AM

What dont they want kids getting involved in hobbies like cars..

Well, if you paint a picture that the only alternative hobbies are drug taking, alcoholism and vandalism then cars would be a better option.

Loki and Bart have some good points........so hotting up cars might have to go?

It would be irresponsible of any government to promote motoring as a hobbie. Its expensive(therefore exclusive by nature), is going to be more so, and causes a significant impact on the environment and the community.
There are other things one can do..........start at the library....especially things that will increase fitness.

Its this view that our "exclusive hobby" causes major impact to the communtiy that is part of the problem, yes there is a certain dickhead element that partakes in the restoration/modification of cars, however its not the majority. The modified car scene is a community, and this dickhead element has an impact on OUR community aswell. And to say that promoting motoring was irresponsible..... what is irresponsible about an industry that provides jobs for many hundreds of thousands of people. Hell, when my folks and even grandparents went through school it was drilled into them to GET A TRADE. This led to a career in some aspect that HELPED the community. Without interest in the area, there is no-one to come up with alternate forms of fuel or alternate transport.

And last but not least, to say that motoring is "exclusive"... who the hell do you think you are... a duke.. maybe a prince of somewhere, what a snot nosed, stuck up comment. Look around u devil's the people on this site are everyday people, those who work their ases off in blue collar or otherwise jobs, only to pour their hard earned into their hobby. and when they cant afford something, they make do, do it themselves or save for it, something all young people need to learn how to do. This hobby has taught me how to respect others opinions, relate to a wider community through random people wanting to reminise about their own youth, and most of all has taught me that not everything grows on trees, i had to save to buy my first car, and i paid the original amount for my torana too, yes my parents LENT me some money, but there was a limit and im now paying it off... yes theres a lesson in RESPONSIBILITY. And i can certainly say, hanging offf the breaker bar trying to undoe 30 year old rusted bolts wiht a spray of WD40 will build more muscles then any gym can do.

Now that ive had my rant... back onto the topic.
After reading through the relevant sections of the DOTARS documents it sems that no, its not as bad as the engineer made it out to be, but it still stinks to high heaven. I'd sit down and put pen to paper for a letter to the Govt but a HSC is taking up time at the moment, so thats a no go, from my side.
CHEERS Chris :spoton: :rockon:

#54 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:26 AM

I think you guys should read the actual document (about an A4 ream of paper) before you comment, I've read it cover to cover. If anything it gives more freedom than the current system, in NSW anyways. My wheels may now be legal provided it passes the performance test.

It is quite a good document. As with any change, there is going to be resistance, but IMHO they've done a great job.

No you can't fit an older engine to a newer car, unless you make it comply to the ADR's for the newer car.

#55 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

[

And last but not least, to say that motoring is "exclusive"... who the hell do you think you are... a duke.. maybe a prince of somewhere, what a snot nosed, stuck up comment.

Well, resorting to personal insults certainly doesnt enhance your argument, nor does twisting my words to suit your own purposes.

One thing Ill stand by, motoring/modifying cars is one of the most expensive "hobbies" one can take up and is limited to those who can afford cars, rego , insurance,fuel, tools, places to work on them, parts to buy(like $300 for a fuel pump)......and is beyond the reach of many......why is that so inflammatory?

#56 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:21 AM

should have seen something comming :furious:
look at all the news hype re: hooning ricers after bringing in anti hoon laws
everyone in the modified car sceen is being set up :huh:

Notice how the majority of those shown on the TV news channels have P plates???

Yes they are mostly ricers I agree but having said that I would not like to drive my muscle car down those roads when the Police were out there targeting cars, it doesn't take much of a suspicion from them to have your car towed in even with engineers reports!
And although they are ricers even I have to admit a lot of them don't look to be poorly modified, some of those guys and girls have spent big dollars on their cars and I would assume when spending that much money you wouldn't cut many corners road worthy wise.

Cheers
Herne

#57 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:12 PM

Totally off subject, but once again in a thread some1 has made a comment as a personal insult at some1, hasnt any1 learned anything from a VERY recent discussion on this forum about growing up and not using personal insults????? Good to see people paying attention to things on the site..... :banghead:

#58 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:26 PM

Appoligies for the personal comment towards devils. not fair and un-necessary. But honestly calling getting your hands dirty playing with cars an exclusive hobby, especially when you partake in such activity, well to me anyway, gives out the impression you hold yourself as an elitist and above other factions of the community. I see this "hobby" as a blue collar activity, one that anyone can get into, even if its on 100 dollar specials from the wreckers, there is a low cost entry level, and its only when you have the money that it can become a high cost activity (show cars, serious drag setups etc) This hobby is also one of a few that can actually lead to something, geting youth into cars will promote working in the industry, who do you think will come up with the new ideas needed to keep our world running? alternative fuel sources, higher performance parts, there has to be youth coming into the industry to support it. Again I APOLIGISE for my comments in my post (Posted on Jun 7 2006, 10:17 AM) and recognise they were uncalled for and perhaps this is me showing my age/immaturity. Maybe after my 18th this month i'll grow some brains ay. :tease:
CHEERS Chris :rockon:

#59 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:00 PM

appreciate you last post orangelj(most of it anyway)....thats how you get your point across.

Some good points about low cost of starting with a cheap car etc.......but the thread was about the legalities of modifying, and hence my comment re modifying cars(hotting them up) being a very expensive hobby, not "simply" restoring an old banger. I cant see that a person struggling to feed the family and pay the bills(which many australians are in that category) can get into this hobby

#60 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:23 PM

I can understand the cost involved in high end modification, however there are plenty of relitively cheap, DIY modifications someone can do, yes a family who is struggling to live wouldnt be able to partake in such a hobby out of necessity, but my family is by no means "well off" we live to a comfortable standard. And through some luck and alot of looking we sometimes come across some good bargains and that helps. I know my views may be... most likely are... tainted by the fact that my family is in the car industry, it makes things alot easier, but there are examples on here of those who aren't in the industry and are just willing to give things ago and attempt to modify or "hot up" their cars. I also know of people who, dont have much money and are borderline poverty and still save 5 or 10 bucks a week to buy that boot spoiler or, those new rims, yes they are limited in what they can do, but atleast they have goals, are saving their money and instead of being an alcho, save that money for their passion.
CHEERS Chris :rockon:

#61 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:51 PM

Keeping a car original is just another form of modification. You could look at both original and modified cars that are done on modest budget, all the way to shitloads of cash. I think bit of a generalisation has been made. I don't think the comment was needed or relevant to the discussion, that's why I ignored it.

Regardless of budget, if there is the will, there is a way.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 07 June 2006 - 03:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users