StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Yeah i get that, but i wasnt aware that we HAD to vote one way or the other, left or right, i wanna vote up

There is only left or right, a policy doesn't go up, it will appeal to one group or the other.

It's like heat, you have hot, cold and everywhere in between but no weird 'up' temperature that exists in some other dimension.

However, think of a straight line, the line bends around like a circle and if you travel along the line and go to the extreme right you're almost into left extreme territory and vice versa.

Our party's are not extreme, when you go to the extreme ends you're delving into either communism (left) or fascism (right).

One way Keating was able to win an election was to introduce policies that appealed to a lot of Liberal voters, he had the hardline Labor voters in his hand and won over a lot of Liberal voters, it was in the bag for him that year.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 04 May 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#27 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

i wanna vote up

You can vote for a different party, nothing wrong with that.

In the current system the other parties are too small in voting numbers so they can't win, their votes will go towards whichever party their policies are set to.

If a new third party wins it will still be either left wing or right wing, to use another analogy, the fence in the middle is so thin that you can't balance on it, you'll fall into the left or the right yard, so to speak.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 04 May 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#28 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

^ the above is my understanding as I was taught in high school, I'm no political expert.

s

#29 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Yeah makes sense......to put it another way we need to get rid of the mindset the public has that you must vote for either labor or liberal.....and concinve them they must not vote green.

#30 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

So in effect it is NOT a true democracy... We the people? yeah right.

#31 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

.to put it another way we need to get rid of the mindset the public has that you must vote for either labor or liberal.

It is a democracy, you can vote for whomever you like. Only one party can win, the one with the majority of votes and people are sheep, look at the mess we made of Aus. becoming a republic.

We the sheeple, indeed.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 04 May 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#32 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

I disagree that its a democracy, how else is the carbon tax in?

Under a democracy the people either choose what happens, or they elect representatives to make these decisions. 

But what is it when you elect a representative who within weeks of being in power goes back on a direct election promise?

How are you supposed to elect representatives when they dont speak truthfully?

Cheers.

#33 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Under a democracy the people either choose what happens, or they elect representatives to make these decisions. 

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 04 May 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#34 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

But what is it when you elect a representative who within weeks of being in power goes back on a direct election promise?

You just can't avoid that, John Hewson tried to introduce the GST before an election, he lost the election.

Howard promised us there'll be no GST, he gave us the GST.

Right now gay marriage is not popular with the majority, no politician this close to election will fall on their sword to promote gay marriage, they just won't win.

Whoever wins, once they get elected and settled in we're going to hear about how Aus. is falling behind the rest of the world and you watch, we'll end up having gay marriage legal in this country. They may indeed lose the following election because of it.

Funnily enough, the govt. (Centrelink) recognises gay couples and pays them less than two singles by issuing them with 'couple' benefits.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 04 May 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#35 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'm still of the opinion that party politics sucks. Make parties illegal, and make the House of Representatives behave like it sounds - a house of elected representatives that elect a Prime Minister from their midst, and vote on legislation or work on other such Government business. Not have two groups always opposed to each other, with a few loose cannons thrown into the mix who only end up getting sweet talked by one of the two groups. The Senate is there as oversight, not to blindly pass every bill if the controlling group from the House of Reps also has control of the Senate, or alternatively block every bill if they don't have control. A Goverment has to be allowed to govern, not be blocked due to party politics in the Senate.

I'd like to see a major shakeup in politics to fix this. Unions should NOT have control of the Prime Minister, and hence control of the Parliament. Nor should big business. A fringe group like the Greens should NOT have sway over how the country is run simply because they have the numbers (albeit in minority) to do it. Our "representatives" should be voting in the best interests of those that they represent (ie us), not voting the way they are told to vote by their caucus or party room ie what is in the best interest of the Union puppeteers that have their hands up Gillards proverbial, nor the same for big business with Conervative leaders.

I can honestly say in the last decade and a bit I have seen the worst two Aussie Governments I have witnessed in my time on earth: NSW Labor prior to 2 years ago, and the current Minority Goverment which you will notice I haven't called a Labor Governement because it isn't - it is swayed and controlled by the Greens and Independents.

End of rant. But it is the reason why I stated i'd love to be part of this party proposed in this thread, but not interested if in the end its preference goes towards the ship of fools we have in Federal Government at the moment. Tony, as a thought I suppose I could easily withdraw as a member if its preferences were going Labor??

As an aside, I think there are 2 x Federal Politicians that dance to their own tune and won't be the puppets of others. One of them was Kevin Rudd who probably was shafted for this reason. The other is Malcolm Turnbull, who may well have been shafted for similar reasons.

#36 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

As an aside, I think there are 2 x Federal Politicians that dance to their own tune and won't be the puppets of others. One of them was Kevin Rudd who probably was shafted for this reason. The other is Malcolm Turnbull, who may well have been shafted for similar reasons.

Yeah I was thinking that about Rudd as well

#37 _Growler_

_Growler_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Yeah makes sense......to put it another way we need to get rid of the mindset the public has that you must vote for either labor or liberal.....and concinve them they must not vote green.

HERE HERE!!!

I second That

Oh yeah, im in

#38 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Location:Adelaide... city of... anyone know something good about it?
  • Car:UC hatch

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

You just can't avoid that, John Hewson tried to introduce the GST before an election, he lost the election.

Howard promised us there'll be no GST, he gave us the GST.

And don't forget that Jiggles promised "no carbon tax" - and promptly gave us one to keep the support of the loony Greens.

Most people accept that it's "Labor or Liberal" but the current minority government (effectively run by the Greens) shows that a minor party can hold the balance of power.

I considered voting for Clive Palmer, but at this point I don't think he'll get enough votes to be effective. It's far more important to kick "Jiggles and friends" out of office before they do any more damage. So I'll be voting for the Libs, I'll consider others later.

#39 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Howard took the gst as policy to the election, they had previously said no get, but changed their stance and policy before the election as far as I know

#40 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

Howard took the gst as policy to the election, they had previously said no get, but changed their stance and policy before the election as far as I know

Yes, but unlike so many policies from either side, GST was actually a good thing in the long run.

Dr Terry

#41 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

I'm.just sick of people saying howard did the same thing as gillard.

He did nothing of the sort.

#42 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:46 AM

Interesting discussion happenning here, although i havnt had the time to visit until now. Been way too busy processing registrations and ticking several hundred people off the electoral roll.

The party registers on Monday, our inuagural meeting is on Saturday and I still have a shit load to do.

A few questions to answer - Pat, like any party you can choose to leave at any time that you feel the organisation is moving in a direction that is agaisnt your liking. Kind of like a car club really...... but a bit more serious in structure and representation.

Viper - By joining up you are effectively showing your support and being given the opportunity to have a say in the way the party is run and what you would like the party to achieve. You can say little, or you can say lots but the important thing is, you can have your say. We have had many well know business people in the automotive industry join the party purely because they feel thier lively hoods are at stake due to the current sate of play regarding anti-hoon laws and the negative publicity motoring enthusiasts recieve. They want to be represented by a party who is concerned for them and they want to contribute their own ideas and suggestions. Their voices are a lot louder when they have the support from a group in the goverment sphere, rather than trying to air their concerns independently. This is just one advance of party membership, there are many more.

Anyway, time is getting away and I have to run but I will leave you guys with some food for thought and let you join the dots...  do you remember "Cash For Clunkers"? It says a lot about a particular someones attitude towards pre 1995 cars having a place on Australian roads......

#43 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

do you remember "Cash For Clunkers"? 

Did they do that here?

It didn't do too well in the US.

the “Clunkers” program, which is officially known as the Car Allowance Rebates System (CARS), produced tons of unnecessary waste while doing little to curb greenhouse gas emissions.

http://news.yahoo.co...-024848694.html

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 10 May 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#44 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

Gillard wanted to bring it in over here.

#45 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

i reckon palmer and any other partys aside from labour or liberal will do quite well no one likes gillard including me shes just a flat out twat n no one likes that big eared muppet that wants to take away penatly rates for people who work weekends ect dickwad  

in all seriousness i really do hope that this party can atleast make an impact on our way of life and protect our rights as no one else seems to give a stuff about them its just how hard they can punish us for not playing golf or lawn bowls

#46 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

The registration forms and associated documentation was submitted today marking the end of two weeks worth of excessively late nights for yours truly. Im buggered, but deeply satisfied. We will have a voice not previously heard in political circles before. No one has done this on an national scale and no one has done it in two weeks. We did.

As Party Chairman, my role will be busy but we have a great team on the Central Executive. Intelligent, passionate, responsible people who want only the best chance of change for their Party members. We have 1600 members and that figure grows hourly......

We are not stuffing around guys, this shit is serious :)

Cheers,

T

#47 _Growler_

_Growler_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Excellent job mate well done, and best of luck.

I received an email to confirm my status on the electoral roll but no matter which address I put in, it couldn't find it? Bloody frustrating as ive voted from here a multitude of times?!?!!?

#48 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Registered & shared. 

#49 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

Excellent job mate well done, and best of luck.

I received an email to confirm my status on the electoral roll but no matter which address I put in, it couldn't find it? Bloody frustrating as ive voted from here a multitude of times?!?!!?

Thanks Andrew :)

That email was from me man. I couldnt find myself either until I included my middle name, so yes, very frustrating. I will check the member list and make sure we have all the details we need but for now, its no drama. I had to confirm 550 people were on the electoral roll which I have now done. Next step is a bit of house keeping and then we really start to fire up. We are only idling at the moment, it was a bit rough, did a bit of tune and now she's running smoothly. A few more tweaks and then the Party is ready for some wide open throttle action :D

Col, thanks mate, appreciate your support :spoton:   That goes for everyone else as well :D

#50 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

All I can say it was a wonderful feeling to be there on Saturday and be part of history. Lets stand as one and let them know we will not go quitely into the night. Will will stand and fight for our right to enjoy our hobby as individuals and as group's. We are car enthusiasts not hoons. We are found at the track not some back street. There is a big difference.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users