Ex cop car Ex chaser Pursuit car Lj GTR

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hi there,

I am ex LJ owner 8 and 15 years ago that and has just purchased another one to keep forever this time round.
I was giving my matching number LJ GTR a buff and noticed a small repair in the dead centre of the roof.
Strait away, I thought ex cop car cause no one would put an Ariel there as the trend was to put it in the centre up the front just back from the windscreen I then saw a photo on the net of a chaser LC with an aerial in the middle centre of the roof, so it sort of confirmed that they put them there.
After reading a couple of forums the cop cars also had 2 or 3 small holes directly under the glove box so I looked and they are there too.
I haven't checked under the seat yet for a bolt that is supposed to be welded to the floor for an I bolt for handcuffs.
The person I bought it off also said that the motor has XU1 options from factory including triples etc, mine has strombergs and cast headers.
Would this be true as some forums say XU1's had there bob tails pulled off and GTR badges put on to tone them down and make them blend in a bit better and some GTR's were optioned up with XU1 bits.
My GTR is a 1972 12 month car zodiac blue,
Does any of this make sense to anyone because apart from reading forums I don't even know where to start researching this.
If anyone has any info on it or how I could acquire any proof of this it would be great, this car will never be for sale so it's not for a value it's just for my own knowledge.
Thanks for reading.

#2 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

Just one question before I go to bed.

Are you wanting to join in our forums & maybe join a Torana club?

AND I hope all is well with you and your place in the Blue Mountains?

Barry

#3 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hi Alex,

Im from the bluemountains also.

Regards John.

#4 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:58 AM

Hi Barry,

I'm into the forums, I've been reading them for a while but didn't join as I didn't have my Torana, so as soon as I got it I signed up.
I'm thinking about joining a club but at the moment I work away alot, in saying that I love my driving and I know clubs have some good meets.
I also want to take her to some small shows just to see her sitting up there but only once I know her provinence.
She's all original except door locks, stereo and for some reason her resto she had 10 years ago they put A9X mirrors on her,and of course I'm hoping the triples are factory.

Nice to meet you too John.

#5 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Hi Alex welcome to the forum , our Leura club is in the Blackheath Rhododendron Festival street parade , next weekend , you would be quiet welcome to join in , also Wentworth Falls Fete car display . if your in our area , and are interested PM me .

#6 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hi Alex and welcome,

That sounds a great idea , spend the day with threeblindmice,he will be able to help you with any questions,also vin150 is very knowledgable with the Police cars.

Your car sounds very interesting,any pictures?

craig.

#7 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

Hi GTR82911 there are some other telltales as well , mudflaps fitted all round might just be holes there now, signs that it had a sun visor, licensed in the 3 rd month of the year and some other holes that are a give away.

Cheers Dave

#8 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

Hi Alex,

Sent you a PM.

Regards John.

#9 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

:welcome:  Alex

Now that we know a bit more about you then doors will open but in my case, some pics for you

Copy-of-tarcutta-gtr-webb.jpg

nswJohniOGtr_hwp.jpg

This fella is in a bit of trouble by the look of it

Your-ticket-sir-web.jpg

LC-GTR-Police-pursuit-web.jpg

As you can see by those pics, you might have to look at your front bumper bar or there abouts for the tell-tale signs of the mounting of driving lights.

Looks like you have all of the right clues to help confirm that your GTR was a police pursuit car.

The V.I.N. might also help with that.

Barry

#10 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

The car had a full resto in 2003 so I'd say new bar on the front I check'd it strait up. It had a re spray then aswell so no sun visor marks but I will have a closer look and I didn't check for mudflap holes that could very well be filled not sure.
Did any GTR's get optioned up with triples from factory for the force?

#11 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

You wouldnt think so about the triples but stranger things have happened.

#12 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

There was a red Lj GTR on ebay a few months ago which was an ex cop car that had triple Strombergs and sun viser etc. It would have been a very nice car if you had the money to buy it.

#13 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

Barry that first photo was the morning shift , this was the afternoon shift ,

Attached File  542508_4046044876015_633648301_n.jpg   53.14K   11 downloads

#14 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

That's good to hear jd lj that you have seen a genuine ex coppa with triples,
It wasn't sold to me as a retired enforcer of the law but the bloke I bought it off was adiment that it came out of the factory with triples/xu1 spec.i naturally didn't believe him till I saw the small dimple in the middle of my roof. But one would think it would have an p code block not L but both are high compression and accept the triples. If she's not a ex cop I can feel a bobtail going on or is that sacrilege/tabo these days.

#15 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Alot of extras were added by the dealer in the good old days (not factory line) but they still had date codes.

I would add the bob tail as they look great (regardless of what car you have)

Drive and enjoy.

#16 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Here are some pics gang, they are not the best 2 are first day at home and the rest are from the ad when I bought it.
I will get some decent ones after I finish giving her a buff in about 30 days when I get some real time at home.
Good call on the bobtail lxsstorana i agree, and very sorry to all that like the plain rear.

#17 _toranatime_

_toranatime_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

Very nice looking gtr mate looks like a great buy, I really do like zodiac blue. Have you got any other plans besides the bobtail? or just going to enjoy as is?

cheers

#18 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

beautiful looking car mate.........re the bobtail.....you could consider getting a spare boot lid and fitting it to that, that way you can return to original any time you like, by just swapping the lids.

BUT - Its your car, your choice as you like .

#19 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hi Alex,

When i had my LJ GTR back in the 1980's,was given 2 bobtails,but i liked it with out,i wanted to see the GTR badge on the boot lid..

Regards John.

#20 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

As Col said , two boots is the way to go , the beater did a shit job on my old car , the centre hole he drilled was way out , then had to file a big slot  to get it to fit , not good if it's your original boot .

#21 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

Don't ruin a sexy rear-end with a bit of fibreglass.  Apart from looks, they also damage easily.

Marty

#22 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

What marty said ^^^^^^^

#23 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

I agree with all, in the past I had a small drama with the tail chipping the paint off my rear upper quarters and a 2nd lid is a mad idea
See I have this problem though,
It's a matching number car and if I put the tail on I'd have to take the GTR badge off the grille cause the tail is on xu1's and then the sticker kit would have to follow.
So am I taking away from the car or adding?
My plans for the car is to change the mirrors back to LJ, I don't think the genuine L34/A9X ones on it would be too hard to find a home for.
Put an XU1 muffler on back cause I like the dual pipes.
Put a set of extractors on her, of course ill keep the factory cast headers.
Re bush the front end cause she's only done 750k's in the last 10 years
And put the chrome cat killer under her.
I think the bobtail will stay off her.

#24 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

Just started to think , what size spark plugs has it got ? and has it got a bigger cam ? , They wouldn't put triples on a stock 202 , or would they ?

#25 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

Hi Alex,

The GTR'S had twin tail pipes too,they curved down a bit,but not like LC GTR'S,with cured too facing the ground,i have photo's i helped a member who owns a rock stock LJ GTR,and we got his tail pipes right,he had a xu-1 muffler and tail pipes,with didn't look right,leave your factory cast headers on,give it the factory look.

Regards John.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ex cop car, Ex chaser, Pursuit car, Lj GTR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users