Ex Chaser LJ GTR Help Needed

Ex cop car Ex chaser Pursuit car Lj GTR

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#26 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

Yeah it's got a cam in it, not sure about plugs, motor was rebuilt when she had her resto so who knows, in saying that the speedo only has 36,000 miles on it so if that's correct and hasn't been around or wound back I don't think the cam would have been worn enough to be replaced.
The engine bay looks very original. You can still slightly see the writing in the oil cap.

#27 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

Anyone got a pic of the LJ GTR dual tip exhaust

#28 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hi Alex,

I have them in my computer,PM sent.

Regards John.

#29 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

Hi GTR82911, my opinion is leave the car alone. If you want to modify a car buy a S Torana that has already been messed with not a GTR or even a mint original S they are just to special to do that to, cheers Aaron.

#30 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

Nar rest assure she won't be messed with there are plenty of chopped 2 doors out there if I wanted to do that, I paid good money for this old girl and the extractors and bobtail were just a thought. She will be brought back to her original XU1 motor optioned GTR police pack minus the sun visor, aerials, driving lights, radios and flashing light.
It's not %100 yet but it's looking like she is a ex law enforcer and just trying to find out about the motor option bit.

#31 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

This is the GTR ex police car that was on ebay that i mentioned earlier, I hope it helps.

http://australia.tro...OLDEN-TORANA-GT

You can check the cast date of the carbs and see if it's before or after your build date or not. Obvisously if the carb cast date is after your cars build date they're not factory fitted, but if it's earlier then there's a possibility that they are original. to check this you'll have to remove the float bowl and using a mirror look for a number circled by 12 raised dots. The number in the middle represents the year i.e 2=1972, 3=1973. Each dot represents the months of that year, there will be one dot which is bigger than the rest and this is the month it was cast, i.e the second dot enlarged = feb.

JD

#32 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

Sweet
Thanks JD,
Ill get the date checked when I get them tuned she's starting to idle a bit high..

#33 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

There has been a bit of talk on here of late regarding ex cop cars.....

Not to go too off topic, but apart from learning a cars history, why does it matter if an xu is an ex cop car ? Its almost as though some think it adds value, i dont really understand why it would ?

#34 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

Not to go too off topic, but apart from learning a cars history, why does it matter if an xu is an ex cop car ? Its almost as though some think it adds value, i dont really understand why it would ?

I dont think it really matters if a car is a cop car or not but I do think it adds a bit more interest/provenance to a vehicle and what could potentially separate two identical cars. That something to make that car a little extra special.

#35 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

Finding history to a low millage car , is always a bonus , and I think adds to it's value .

#36 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

Yeah exactly,
I'm just chasing its history fellas, it's nice to know regardless, I already know its genuine and all matching including the head , mad cause I didn't think it was that original.
So yes to have that little something special is nice to know.
I found out it is one of only 2 zodiac blue 72 GTR's made and 12/12 built so could be the last one out of the factory in that colour as they didn't make that colour from 73 on on a torie.
I know it's probably "who gives a rats" to most, but to me it's nice knowing her birthday and what she's done over the years.
It is a passion and I share here with my family and they too love the outings, picnics, etc.
My kids as I did will have mad memories of dads Torana and the good times we had in her.
Only difference is now you don't wash them every weekend you pull the car cover off.

#37 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

Good stuff, wasn't trying to put a downer on ya thread, more an observation. Whatever it is, sounds like you will make good use of it and not hide it away in a garage :)

#38 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

Enjoy your car Alex,

Thats what its all about,you and your family,that being the car aswell. :D

#39 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

alex hi

u have a great gtr in your hands, look after it well

zodiac blue is a great color,im not sure about 2 being made in the gtrs thou

i owned a zodiac gtr many years ago it was the lucky phill car which was used in the .o5 ad on TV back in the early days

i sold to a guy locally 25 plus years ago,

and he still owns it today

that was 1 of the cars i never should have sold,

any way have fun and enjoy your torana, as i now u will

regards  aldo

#40 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

Skap,

Because a pursuit car is a special thing.  You are right, nowadays with exception of more heavy duty alternators, extra batteries and additional wiring there is no difference between a pursuit car and a showroom model - heck, only one Australian jurisdiction retains manual pursuit cars - the rest have gone to slush boxes ages ago! 

But back in the day there was often mechanical/component differences though it is likely nothing of significance was different for the LC or LJ GTR/XU-1 cars given they were reportedly the pinnacle of what GM-H had to offer then in terms of performance and durability.  Regardless, a pursuit car is a car which is used as perhaps some of those in the GM-H design/engineering house actually wished if not intended for them to be used; hard, fast and enjoyed - day in, day out.

Perhaps they are a bit like a soldier who saw combat versus another who stayed in reserve - both are to be revered for their service and sacrifice, but there is that something extra we all hold in terms of reverence for the one who saw active duty if only for his circumstance if you get my meaning?  And so I say pragmatically there is no difference, but emotionally and even philosophically they are indeed different - pursuit cars are special in some sort of intangible way if only by graft of their service and purpose.

Cheers, TB

#41 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

^ good comment. Off the Torana topic, It's interesting to note that the NSW Police Spec highway patrol Cooper S's managed to score a unique camshaft and also had the 1275's fitted with twin 1 1/2in SU's instead of 1 1/4's. Other changes included a ported/polished cylinder head, free-flowing exhaust, competition distributor and Lynx Ramflo air filters.

#42 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:46 AM

hi aldo

there is another forum member here that is from melbourne that owns a same color gtr, unless its your old one that makes 3

av-14913.jpg?_r=0

to the op his user name is zodiac blue gtr,,, mabe pm him as he might have got info on your car when chasing info for his... worth a shot.

good luck man

cheers gong

#43 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

Thanks fellas,
I should have been a bit more specific as I was only researching 1972, yes there is more than 2 zodiac blue GTR's.
From the reaserch I have found that in 1972 there were 8 zodiac blue LJ's produced.
From the resources on here 6 are accountable being 3 XU1's 2 GTR's and 1 4 door and the other 2 I'd say scrap metal by now.
1 XU1 was written off unfortunately so only 2 of those left.
The Melbourne GTR I have heard about and am looking forward to contacting him and learning his cars history.
The 4 door is in Brisbane I think
1 XU1 is in the Penrith NSW area
And my GTR in that same area.
Zodiac blue was not produced after 1972 so no 73 models should have it, I could be wrong cause there may have been special orders, I'm only going off the Australian muscle car id handbook and the paintcode doesn't exist in 73.
Mine being built on the 12/12 is it the last one in that colour? Who knows.
I tell ya doing reaserch on a vehicle fells like chasing ya tail and banging your head against a brick wall sometimes.
If anyone has any figures on zodiac blue production numbers and dates that would be really appreciated.
Cheers.

#44 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Just interested what research led you to come up with 8 Zodiac Blues produced? My understanding is that there is no information available as to how many of each colour were produced.

Cheers Dave

#45 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

Thats what i thought....

#46 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

I guess he is going off what is still around ?????

#47 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hi GTR 82911

Something to remember, the new body colours didn't start on 1/1/73. Zodiac Blue Met was still being used until the new colours and trim were introduced in April '73. The latest Zodiac Blue Met (that I am aware of, and there is certain to be more) is 13 Feb '73. There is also a March '73 XU-1 in Zodiac Blue Met.

It is always a mystery to me how people can cite with great authority how many cars were finished in this colour or that colour. I have never seen any evidence that such records were kept by Holden.

Cheers

Bazza

Edited by Bazza, 07 November 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#48 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Rang Holden a few times about was there info on the Colours, same answer every time, no records on Colours

#49 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

Fellas I'm definately no authority on the subject by far, I'm not even trying to be, only trying to make sense of old threads I've read here, the only reason I believed it, was the fact I couldn't find any paint code in that colour in the Australian muscle car i.d hand book in 73.
But that is why I'm here posting to you blokes and that's what it's about cause I'm obviously no orical in LJ history lessons.
As I say any guidance is more than appreciated and the 8 in 72 built was from a thread in the past and I found it by googling which i thought i'd bring up and obviously googling old threads can be dangerous.
Maybe I shouldn't believe everything I read. Maybe I'm just hoping for the best.

Here is a photo that just got posted to me, am I crazy now I'd like to know the history of the car in the photo.

#50 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

One owner ladies car from South Australia , it was on Rusty wrecks , but when the picture was removed , the thread went with it . A restorer bought it , to repair it .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ex cop car, Ex chaser, Pursuit car, Lj GTR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users