Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

I'm just happy my HJ is a Monaro!
Got some mileage though hasn't it?

Thats what its all about paul being happy with what you got

#327 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

The motor used in a Holden V8 Supercar, is not the LS engine, it is a de-stroked Nascar Bowtie, essentially a heavily modified SBC. The Fords likewise use a Ford Motorsports based Nacsar engine. They are both de-stroked to 305 ci, which fits into our 5-litre formula.

Dr Terry

The V8 Superboring vehicles have no relationship to any dunny that was for sale on the Holden dealers showroom. You may as well be talking about the relativity of a dunny to an F1 car. How many dunnydores have a gearbox on a transaxle or tube frame. I mean its a total joke how anyone can relate these racing to production vehicles. What the L34 and A9X where in the racing versions vs road cars was a least somewhat relative but not the racing we see since the format changed to Nascar like rules.

This was why what Chevy did in the USA with cars like the L88 and ZL1 vettes and camaros was so exceptional and why these road registrable racecars became  true muscle cars and legends. Holden did the same except it was using the standard boat anchor and left over driveline components. However they do styling well, and the cosmetics offered a good selection of stripes and badges,spoilers etc to sell on the showroom. Sadly Fraud where the only one that delivered a fully developed street registrable racecar right up to the rev limiter.

Honourable Mention to

L34

XU-1

Edited by LXSS350, 15 March 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#328 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Missus got a 6pk sampler of different apple ciders for xmas.

Popped it in the fridge this morning. Will be sampling soon :P

#329 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Missus got a 6pk sampler of different apple ciders for xmas.
Popped it in the fridge this morning. Will be sampling soon :P

This thread would drive you to drink Daz

#330 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

I'm just happy my HJ is a Monaro!

I have owned my Hj Monaro GTS/4  L31-M21-3.36 for 30yrs now, and I am still as proud of it as the day I bought it, great car

I think this thread has done more mileage than my Gts. and that's 184,000kms

#331 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

This was why what Chevy did in the USA with cars like the L88 and ZL1 vettes and camaros was so exceptional and why these road registrable racecars became true muscle cars and legends.

Legendary road registrable race cars yes, but not true muscle cars.

The Corvette does not qualify as a muscle car under the American definition of a muscle car.

Two seat sports cars such as the Chevrolet Corvette and the Ford Thunderbird are not considered muscle cars due to their high price and specialty nature. The only exception is the AMC AMX as it was relatively cheap, and was based on the AMC Javalin pony car.

The Camaro (pony or compact size) does not qualify as a muscle car either under the strict definition of an American muscle car, although the SS and Z28 versions are generally considered to be muscle cars by the Americans under the broader definition of a muscle car..

A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 15 March 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#332 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

This thread would drive you to drink Daz

Not wrong Gene.   :banghead:

*swigs cider

#333 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Legendary road registrable race cars yes, but not true muscle cars.

The Corvette does not qualify as a muscle car under the American definition of a muscle car.

The Camaro (pony or compact size) does not qualify as a muscle car either under the strict definition of an American muscle car, although the SS and Z28 versions are generally considered to be muscle cars by the Americans under the broader definition of a muscle car..

http://www.musclecarclub.com/

Who cares what yanks want or define? Who made them god?

Your personal cut-off points on what type of vehicles makes your list is open to you (hell have a $5k max limit or put a $200k porsche in if you want) Who really cares what's on or off your list?

I hate dunnydores nearly as much as I hate Frauds but I would have the right 429 Mustang well before I would ever have another dunnydore, the same as I would have an LX SL Hatch before I ever would buy an LX SL Taxi.

Your list and opinion is whatever you want not someone else.

But the number one measurement for any muscle car list is sheer measurable Performance

That being acceleration times over distance 0-60mph, 0-100mph, 60-100mph, 0-150mph, 100-150mph, 1/4 mile etc and then finally physical top speed (not theoretical on gearing)

Besides exotica i.e. Veyron, McLaren P1, Ferrari etc only a handful of cars meet my criteria for acceptable factory performance.

Unlike the one-eyed cheer squad that can't see past their blindfold I am not going to praise something like the 308 just to be socially acceptable because I spent decades spending money on trying to get them fast and reliable and I know exactly what they are and what they are not.

Some people are happy to call it a muscle/performance car with 0-100mph in 20sec and 15.8sec 1/4 mile, but that I30 sr 4cyd 2litre non turbo Hyundai performance. Personally I wouldn't be saying that out loud with any sort of pride.

#334 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

Opens another cider.

#335 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

Jeezus... I need something stronger...........   LXss350......  I dont intend to be rude or offensive.....  But mate you speak your own opinion like it is fact........  and I personly think you have no idea about facts......  just a jaded opinion...  and that is the only thing you say that is perfectly clear....   sorry Old mate...   

#336 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

The V8 Superboring vehicles have no relationship to any dunny that was for sale on the Holden dealers showroom. You may as well be talking about the relativity of a dunny to an F1 car. How many dunnydores have a gearbox on a transaxle or tube frame. I mean its a total joke how anyone can relate these racing to production vehicles. What the L34 and A9X where in the racing versions vs road cars was a least somewhat relative but not the racing we see since the format changed to Nascar like rules.

This was why what Chevy did in the USA with cars like the L88 and ZL1 vettes and camaros was so exceptional and why these road registrable racecars became  true muscle cars and legends. Holden did the same except it was using the standard boat anchor and left over driveline components. However they do styling well, and the cosmetics offered a good selection of stripes and badges,spoilers etc to sell on the showroom. Sadly Fraud where the only one that delivered a fully developed street registrable racecar right up to the rev limiter.

Honourable Mention to

L34

XU-1

I agree with most of what you've said there, but it's irrelevant. 

You stated "1993 was the first time any of the teams had ran the new GM engine (LS) ".

As I said they do not have & have never used the LSx GM V8s in any ATCC car. The Holdens mostly used the Nascar SBC.

You've completely missed that.

Dr Terry

#337 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

LOL

No I am just not going to be another sheep by saying that just because I own Torana's that I like everything about them. There are at least 8 or so plastic motors in the back shed (some in cars other on stands) so I don't voice to be biased as I own them and paid good money for them.

But regardless after decades of use they still are a total sh#t engine vs Chev and GM (and others hemi etc)

Its the same as a Camaro, Vette  (many are just pos - they are not all good).

Take a look at the ports, head design, and oiling system on any plastic motor from 1968-1980

You do not have to be an engineer to workout someone fell asleep with designing that nightmare. Just a big kick in the guts that we had full access to the worlds best small block as it just so happens to be designed and engineered by our parent company. Yet we went with the doorstop.

Now if you are happy and consider 15.8sec at 85mph and 0-100mph in 24sec your performance expectation and level then that all good ............... but its not even close to my needs or expectations.

Attached Files

#338 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

Jeezus... I need something stronger...........     

You're not wrong. Moved onto scotch...

#339 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

Who cares what yanks want or define? Who made them god?

"Muscle Car" is an American term first used in the 60's to describe a category of American factory built performance cars.

I find it odd that you would call a Corvette a muscle car when the country that invented the term and built the car doesn't consider it to be a muscle car.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 15 March 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#340 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

I agree with most of what you've said there, but it's irrelevant. 

You stated "1993 was the first time any of the teams had ran the new GM engine (LS) ".

As I said they do not have have never used the LSx GM V8s in any ATCC car. The Holdens mostly used the Nascar SBC.

You've completely missed that.

Dr Terry

Dr Terry my mistake I just presumed they changed to LSx design but if its the SBC design (aftermarket supplied) then no problem it was not what it was about. Seriously I stopped watching, reading or caring about Bathurst  or the cars when it went into the Superboring (nascar like) format. I have no idea or hold any interest in what they use as its not a Holden Dunnydore in anyone's language. Hell even the engine design is not dunnydore current. Baffles me why anyone has any interest in it as its not tied in to anything relative except the silhouette of the carbonfibre.

How many Bathurst's Fraud or Holden wins under this format has no comparative value to Bathurst of old. The speeds the lap times .... everything has no relativity or interest to the A9X,L34,XU-1,GTS era.

They could be Hydrogen powered three wheelers for all I really care.

All I know is that Perkins admitted he illegally did some mods on that 93 engine, he did so many years after that win and that 1993 year was the first year of the new chev motors. The only point I was making was that Racing Motors have zip to do with what we get in the showroom and that the new motors (chev/fraud) where in the first year of development (first year is always hard).

Besides all of that, you would be a complete fool to think the winner of Bathurst has anything to do with the Holden you brought at your local Holden dealer. Just having flares and spoilers wouldn't be enough to get your A9X in any position on the 77-79 grid.

However as per my point about real muscle cars like Sam Posey said in Car and Driver when in 1968 he tested the road going Z28, this bloody thing is a road car and it is lapping fast enough to have qualified middle of the grid of the 1967 race.

Try that in your plastic engined pretend cosmetic version.

Even so, the Camaro was very quick while it lasted and Posey was surprised by his best lap time.

"Really? A 1:09.2? That would have put us somewhere in the middle of the Trans-Am grid here last year which is pret­ty intriguing since it's really a street car. ............. Car and Driver magazine in July 1968.

http://www.caranddri...ived-comparison

#341 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

"Muscle Car" is an American term first used in the 60's to describe a category of American factory built performance cars.

I find it odd that you would call a Corvette a muscle car when the country that invented the term and built the car doesn't consider it to be a muscle car.

Sounds like we should all start whistling dixie and following whatever the yanks tell us to do. LOL

Maybe we can change our spelling as well?

Make a list of the best looking women?

The lists might include some of the same names but my bet is that the variety will be great. However overall the Oz lists will be different to USA,UK,Germany,Japan,Africa etc

Same as music and the charts, different cultures, different interpretations, different wants etc.

Just because the USA got TV light years before us doesn't mean we should have gone NTSC rather than Pal, or that we should have driven on the right hand side of the road while the drivers seat was positioned on the left side of the car.

We are Australia not the USA.

Sure I love the ZL1 or L88 but that is because of their outstanding proven performance. I wanted that same performance factory standard in my Torana.  I would still choose my hatch styling or HK-HG GTS over them. But I wanted the big race Mumbo under the hood, not a poorly designed leaky boat anchor.

#342 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

What is a E49? if that ain't a Aussie road regoed race car I don't know what is you say only Ford made 1, cheers Aaron.

#343 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

Agree with the one fraud as I said above ..... sadly for us Fraud produced the real deal while Holden wasted a perfect opportunity with the LT1 and/or Z28 engine with a bullet proof M22 and 12 bolt. Before going to sb chev I spent a hell of a lot of time chasing Frauds because of lack of plastic hot up bits and the engines lack of reliability.  You simply just couldn't get 550Hp in the late 70's early 80's out of a n/a red 308 to put in your torana.

I also agree the E49 Charger was no cosmetic show pony a very underrated car (has some other issues - but the 6cyd engine - wow)

The limit for the E49 was its 3.55 gearing which limited its top speed to 130mph. Go higher in the back end and you loose the Phase 3 acceleration numbers. But that is one great sweet engine, it revs well and sounds crisp, a mate has an orange E38 track pac with the big tanks, but rather than the E49's 4 speed its the 3speed version with pretty much the same cam specs etc.

Rattles a bit and gets light but for a six its engine is very nice, not the same power as your grandads valiant but not close to the the torque of the good 8's.

#344 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

But I am sure the HO did 228 with the 3.25 ratio and would not have ran a 14.4 with that ratio, cheers Aaron.

#345 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

No that was 3.25 rear that wheels used in the top speed tests inc acceleration numbers. Obviously lower gears and it would be quicker but on the rev limiter it would loose its 141mph top speed. The fraud could spin to 7000 but std they had the 6100rpm rev limiter. I will tell anyone who has not driven one the engine does go hard but the size of it is a handful and takes a bit to pull her up from speed. 

Not my style (4 door) but I appreciate what they delivered and how it has long been the benchmark even though its been overtaken by modern hotrods.

Attached Files

#346 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

Only the 1969 L88 is the same as a ZL1 except for the block. The '67-'68 L88 uses closed chamber heads and less lump on the pistons.

http://www.firstgencamaro.com/zl1.html

The Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 the all Aluminum Monster Engine.

ZL1 Aluminum Engine

The ZL1 Engine was based on the regular Chevrolet 427 engine.
However, instead of the regular iron-block and head L72 found in the regular 427 engine, the ZL1 sported aluminum heads and the first aluminum block ever made by Chevrolet.

It shared the L88 aluminum head/iron block's engine rating of 430bhp but made closer to 500bhp -- making it probably the most powerful engine Chevrolet ever offered to the public. And the engine weighed just 500 pounds, the same as Chevy's 327 small block.

The ZL-1 was made available only for 1969 under COPO 9560 and Chevrolet needed to install 50 copies to qualify the ZL1 Camaro for racing.

Chevrolet eventually built 69 Camaros and 2 Corvettes with the ZL1 engine. ZL1 cars were blessed with a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty and were fully street legal.

With factory exhausts and tires, ZL1 Camaros could turn low 13s; with headers and slicks, they could turn 11.6s @ 122mph. This was the fastest car ever produced by Chevrolet.Performance had its price - $4,160us for the ZL1 engine alone pushing the price of the Camaro ZL1 to an unbelieveable $7,200 (about double the price of a SS Super Sport 396cid Camaro).

Dick Harrell Badge "Built by Dick Harrell" badge located in the glovebox of ZL1´s.
Denoting the Gibb-prepped and tuned by Dick Harrell who was known as "Mr. Chevrolet".

The original ZL1 Camaro was brainstormed by Chevy dealer Fred Gibb. In 1969, Fred Gibb Chevrolet contacted the General Motors factory to produce the Camaro with the ZL1 all-aluminum 427 engine. The factory would agree to do it if Gibb placed a minumum order of 50 cars. Gibb initiated the order and this was the beginning of the COPO 9560 Camaro.

The first two ZL1 Camaros arrived at Gibb's dealership on a snowy evening in the last days of December 1968. The agreement GM made with Gibb was to have ZL1 cars available for sale prior to the end of 1968. The GM factory delivered as promised.
Unfortunately, Gibb had neglected to ask about the cost of these cars. The window sticker price was over $7,200. Needless to say, not many Camaro enthusiasts were eager to step up and pay a price that was almost twice the cost of the COPO 9561 cast iron 427.

Due to this "sticker shock", negotiations transpired between Fred Gibb and the Chevrolet factory managers.
It was agreed that Gibb could return most of the cars. It was the first time in history that the factory took back cars from a dealership. The unsold cars were re-invoiced at the factory and redistributed to other high-performance Chevrolet dealerships.

In addition to the original 50 ZL1 Camaros shipped to Gibb Chevrolet, an additional 19 ZL1's were ordered through the 1969 production year by various other high-performance Chevrolet dealerships.
This ended the 1969 ZL1 Camaro production run at a total of 69 cars. Fred Gibb Chevrolet did manage to sell 13 of the original 50 that he ordered.

Love that story.

You would think the price would have been discussed before you signed to buy 50. ........ LOL

Not up on the history of GM's flagship hero the below link has some good Vette road tests by C&D and vette info way back to 1955-2014 (GM's nearly 7 decades old Hero Car) The new C7 was probably the most anticipated Detroit release and its already picked up a win in becoming USA Car of the Year - 2013.

With Holden becoming just a re-seller, no doubt we will see more GM stuff in Holden showrooms, it will be interesting to see what Cadillacs and Chevs we get. Certainly need some excitement in Holden showrooms and some designs that are visually distinctive and interesting (+ easy on the eyes). After the highs of the stylistic HK-HG Monatro and LX Hatch we have had far too many years of the Blowfish on Wheels with the dunny being the one trick dog and pony show. It will be good to get some variety into the mix.

http://www.caranddri...nd-more-feature

#347 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

We are supposed to be getting the Camaro here but unfortunately only as a HSV not as a Holden. Hopefully they don't hit it with the same ugly stick as most other HSV stuff and sell it at an affordable price. And hopefullyit is better than the US production versions, I hired one in Hawaii and it was a far inferior car to my V2 CV8 in useability and how it drove. And it only had 10,000 miles on it, my V2 has 117,000kM.

Edited by yel327, 16 March 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#348 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

Modern cars have been fighting the battle of the bulge for a while, all the safety stuff and features just keep adding to the pounds. . Even the little shopping trolleys are weighing in heavier than a v8 torrie. The only answer is aluminium and far greater use of composite over steel. It will not be too many more years before we start seeing everyday cars using it much more than just for open weave decorative and styling etc

Style is a personal thing but 98% of new cars have become boring styling clones. Europe and Japan has nothing to fear with the fit/finish on the Camaro its absolutely horrid. Yank cars have always suffered try driving a vette, viper, mustang and you will be driven mad by rattles and squeeks and old style hard plastics. Sole exclusive HSV distribution deals on any model will just add $$. Nothing they do is really value add as their pricing structure is not like Holden. Holden will at least be Australian competitive but what's the point if HSV gets the interesting stuff like Caddys and next gen Camaro. It becomes too close to the likes of Performax where your at 2.5x the price and might as well consider something more exotic. Question is how many vehicles could Holden sell of "any car" if prices where close to what they pay in the USA?

The mustang will be interesting as will the 3.6l twin turbo in the next gen camaro, but only if it can come in at way under the crazy caddy weight. I notice they threw the LS7 into the new Z/28, then onto a 300lb diet with carbon with ceramic brakes, seats etc but its still just way heavy although faster on the track than the ZL with its more powerful LSA. One look at what we pay for porsche, ferrari, lambo, mercedes, bmw, audi and stuff like Nissan GTR then look at what other countries like the usa and throughout Europe pay. I still laugh at the Chev SS selling some $10k cheaper in the USA than the equivalent spec is here. That tells you how Australian buyers are a very special group of New Car buyers and that all Australians have to do is bend over drop their wallet and Australia will do the rest.

Edited by LXSS350, 16 March 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#349 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

Modern cars have been fighting the battle of the bulge for a while, all the safety stuff and features just keep adding to the pounds. . Even the little shopping trolleys are weighing in heavier than a v8 torrie. The only answer is aluminium and far greater use of composite over steel. It will not be too many more years before we start seeing everyday cars using it much more than just for open weave decorative and styling etc

Style is a personal thing but 98% of new cars have become boring styling clones. Europe and Japan has nothing to fear with the fit/finish on the Camaro its absolutely horrid. Yank cars have always suffered try driving a vette, viper, mustang and you will be driven mad by rattles and squeeks and old style hard plastics. Sole exclusive HSV distribution deals on any model will just add $$. Nothing they do is really value add as their pricing structure is not like Holden. Holden will at least be Australian competitive but what's the point if HSV gets the interesting stuff like Caddys and next gen Camaro. It becomes too close to the likes of Performax where your at 2.5x the price and might as well consider something more exotic. Question is how many vehicles could Holden sell of "any car" if prices where close to what they pay in the USA?

The mustang will be interesting as will the 3.6l twin turbo in the next gen camaro, but only if it can come in at way under the crazy caddy weight. I notice they threw the LS7 into the new Z/28, then onto a 300lb diet with carbon with ceramic brakes, seats etc but its still just way heavy although faster on the track than the ZL with its more powerful LSA. One look at what we pay for porsche, ferrari, lambo, mercedes, bmw, audi and stuff like Nissan GTR then look at what other countries like the usa and throughout Europe pay. I still laugh at the Chev SS selling some $10k cheaper in the USA than the equivalent spec is here. That tells you how Australian buyers are a very special group of New Car buyers and that all Australians have to do is bend over drop their wallet and Australia will do the rest.

Well put at least we agree on 1 thing

#350 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Well put at least we agree on 1 thing

I thought we agreed on more than that? If I remember you wanted the GTR-X which of course made its début in the 1970 shows and this car would have effected all future Holdens and with Harry singing the same song would have meant rear discs standard on the L34. 

I also imagine you would have liked Holden to release the L34 without choking it, either with the $1500 race kit or part thereof. They needed to be listening more to Harry and far less to their social conservative conscience that was scared of its own shadow. Hell even a middle ground on the road car breathing ...... but what they did was get it 75% and then stopped.

However we might disagree but I think we just needed the L34 Hatch as I don't have any use for the extra two doors. It just has always made no sense to me to be lugging around unnecessary extra doors, seats, hinges, handles etc. Although 1 door seems like the perfect car to me I suppose you have to have a second door and second seat just in case the mate or the girlfriend wants to come on a quick beer run. :driving:

Attached Files

Edited by LXSS350, 16 March 2014 - 01:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users