You obviously haven't wathced them build the HSV's from scratch them

#27 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

good point in the argument
about the gtr-x shells
makes me think something does not quite gel here?

#28 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

"It shows amazing foresight into automotive technology," says Holden Design chief and the man behind the EFIJY, Richard Ferlazzo.

The car you see before is the result of three year's hard work. The chassis of RD 001 was rebuilt from scratch with a new, lighter body (the original is in storage). The canopy's hydraulic arms needed to be replaced, but the original quad-carb 4.2-litre V8 - Holden's first locally produced eight - sits proudly amidships. Driven via a Pontiac transaxle, it really was a car straight out a Buck Rogers movie.

When you consider the original chassis of RD001 is still in storage and they don't crush EFIJY after its show life, but yet for some reason this yellow production LX hatchback gets the royal flush treatment. Just sounds like the old left hand didn't know what happened with the right hand and so went away and made up an explanation. Much like those L34 torana's that spun time backwards so as to fool the motoring world into believing they where no quicker than a standard SLR5000.

#29 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Look at the conspiracy theories come out now, watch for someone to pop up and claim to own the car next.

Firstly, what makes anyone think it was a full car with driveline?

You can't compare this to something like RD001 or EFIJY, they are significant cars. This is just a production shell removed off the line before Compliance, nothing special at all. Even the prototype HRT 427 was going to be destroyed originally because it's not complianced, but it managed to escape. One little hatchback Torana is nothing in the scheme of things of the day.

#30 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

The L34 Prototype had ID Tags and the Barney Shirt Show Car has ID Tags, so why would this Yellow LX Hatch not have ID Tags, Stories I have heard, GMH would not get rid of any thing,

The 350/Z Yellow Monaro coupe also escaped crusher and was sold to public according to a recent magazine article. Anythings possable but could also be BS.

#31 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

The 350Z prototype was Sold by Tender, Feb 1975, its on the same tender sheet as the Lone o Ranger LJ Prototype

#32 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

I have seen threads on oldholden and fastlane web sites on the 350z tender sale, its also important to note that 350z was also not complianced along with a few of the other GMH one offs that featured in the magazines of the time. Looking at all the show cars from GMH's beginning right up to today with HF prototypes, Coupe60, Utester, LJ-Lone o Ranger, SSX, HQ Sandman 350 V8 Prototype Ute, SST, GTR-X, 350z, EFIJY, 308Q, Hurricane, TT36, its probably easier and less than one hand list to just number the cars that where actually crushed.

More I look at this I think someone just presumed and so began the tale of the little yellow show hatch that got mashed. Its pretty normal for the real story to get lost as most people just presumed, much like Brock with his 2.6 rear diff ratio story that everyone inc me believed just because PB personally told you the story.

From a bit of digging into show and GMH prototype history, everything got sold off except it seems this little yellow hatchback with snowflakes and and A9X fibreglass kit.

The poor little hatch must have not run fast enough or GMH had buckets of money that month?

Must have been very unlucky or someone hated the colour?

Everything else not roadworthy (or roadworthy) got tendered and sold off as GMH hated giving away a free sticker. Might have been all the over spent design expenditure on the bango,all aussie g/box and plastic engines.

Hell they did give a rats bum about significant history if it was dead money they even sold the amazing GTR-X prototype off as seen in the rebuild on the dunny door forum. To say they cared about significance  is crazy because they tossed all the GTR-X prototype photo's everything. Makes you wonder how they still had the Hurricane as having something they could get money for must have killed the fat cats in the accountancy dept. These guys counted the grains of sugar and teaspoons in the coffee room. LOL

LH16

Has a PSN Tag on it in the Picture, meaning it would be on the LH Warranty Disc List, who ever has that Disc might be able to work it out, I doubt it would of been destroyed, Example's  Saggy Sarah HDT LC XU1 is still alive, The Lone o Ranger LJ GTR V8 Prototype was Tendered off and the HQ Yellow Monaro  350Z (Both on the same tender sheet) they were Sold, and on the same Tender sheet there is the HQ Sandman 350 V8 Prototype Ute (Eweit or what ever it was called) Vic rego number LGL400 (Firemist  Silver/Black Colour) was Sold as well

http://www.gmh-toran...ke/#entry797171

Edited by xu2308, 20 December 2013 - 11:32 PM.

My bet is a GMH dealer brought this car and sold it off probably without the snowflakes.

Edited by LXSS350, 20 June 2014 - 12:58 AM.

#33 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

You'd lose that bet. I don't know why they chose to destroy some things and not others, but this wasn't a complete car, just a standard old hatch shell with some flares and paintwork. I really don't understand the way of thinking, but I'll take Mike Proses word that it was destroyed over speculation because unlike Ray Borret and the XU1's and him being told they were destroyed, Mike actually was there, not just told by someone that it happened.

I have seen threads on oldholden and fastlane web sites on the 350z tender sale, its also important to note that 350z was also not complianced along with a few of the other GMH one offs that featured in the magazines of the time. Looking at all the show cars from GMH's beginning right up to today with HF prototypes, Coupe60, Utester, LJ-Lone o Ranger, SSX, HQ Sandman 350 V8 Prototype Ute, SST, GTR-X, 350z, EFIJY, 308Q, Hurricane, TT36, its probably easier and less than one hand list to just number the cars that where actually crushed.

More I look at this I think someone just presumed and so began the tale of the little yellow show hatch that got mashed. Its pretty normal for the real story to get lost as most people just presumed, much like Brock with his 2.6 rear diff ratio story that everyone inc me believed just because PB personally told you the story.

From a bit of digging into show and GMH prototype history, everything got sold off except it seems this little yellow hatchback with snowflakes and and A9X fibreglass kit.

The poor little hatch must have not run fast enough or GMH had buckets of money that month?

Must have been very unlucky or someone hated the colour?

Everything else not roadworthy (or roadworthy) got tendered and sold off as GMH hated giving away a free sticker. Might have been all the over spent design expenditure on the bango,all aussie g/box and plastic engines.

Hell they did give a rats bum about significant history if it was dead money they even sold the amazing GTR-X prototype off as seen in the rebuild on the dunny door forum. To say they cared about significance  is crazy because they tossed all the GTR-X prototype photo's everything. Makes you wonder how they still had the Hurricane as having something they could get money for must have killed the fat cats in the accountancy dept. These guys counted the grains of sugar and teaspoons in the coffee room. LOL

My bet is a GMH dealer brought this car and sold it off probably without the snowflakes.

#34 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

An interesting side step fo me is those snowflake wheels were used on the first LE Monaro too. I wonder why they didn't choose to use them instead of the honeycombe wheels they went with, or even for that matter use them on the A9X instead of the offset GTS rims.

#35 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

If mike was there when it was Destroyed, then we would assume that's what happened to it, with Ray Borrett story, poor ray has took it on what he was told was fact, and he told the HDT boys and they thought was fact as well, yet interesting note ray tryed to buy the pink gtr prototype , and was told No, as the higher up the ladder guys had plans for it

Edited by xu2308, 20 June 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#36 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

An interesting side step fo me is those snowflake wheels were used on the first LE Monaro too. I wonder why they didn't choose to use them instead of the honeycombe wheels they went with, or even for that matter use them on the A9X instead of the offset GTS rims.

Red, that was a HJ GTS done up as the prototype LE (all LE's are actually HJ bodies). It had snoflakes as you say, they may even be the same wheels on this hatchback. Leo told me they had just about every wheel and hubcap (and as an aside engine) from the GM inventory. The wheels swapped around lots, you see the Protype HQ SS (Premier sedan) with 14x7 HJ honeycomb wheels on it, same wheels also on the 350Z and then they eventually left GMH on the Ewe't.

The 350Z coupe was sold unregisterable as it had no tags and was not ADR compliant, so whilst this particular hatch may well have been destroyed it'd be very out of character for GMH to do so.

Edited by yel327, 20 June 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#37 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

The Ewe't wasn't a Sandman prototype, it was a concept car too. I have found the Sandman prototype I believe, it was a 12/72 HQ V8 Kingswood ute. Ewe't was 3/72.

I doubt the snoflakes were left on the car if it was actually sold, I reckon they left on the HJ LE.

I have seen that photo a few times over the years, I think I read somewhere that car was an SS done up for display at either the Melbourne or Sydney Motor Show in 1977, I believe those wheels are the Honeycombe style that were used on the HX Monaro LE, I stand to be corrected though 

Honeycombs were optional on most HJ-HZ sedans, not just on HX LE. LE's were gold, HJ-HZ other than LE were silver.

My understanding that Harry was told by Ray Borrett that the V8 LJ's were Destroyed, as Ian Tate said to me that Ray came into work and told them the last one hit the wall today, but Ray. told me that he was only told that, and he did not know for sure, so going off that, Ray did not know for sure, i would not be shocked if the Styling yellow LX Hatch was not Destroyed, who ever has the LX Torana Disc List, needs to look for a (000 M) LX Sunbird that was built before the A9X's, my guess early 1977 for the Car Show's . and I think you will find said hatch.

AL

Al, it won't be 000, it will be a 2xx number. 000 was mainly used in the early 70's, GMH started using codes by the mid 70's for internal stuff.

#38 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

Be cool if the Ewe't and the 350Z turn up one day, as they were out there some where in OZ

#39 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

A single light Statesman front would stand out. Doubt it will show up.

#40 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

You'd lose that bet. I don't know why they chose to destroy some things and not others, but this wasn't a complete car, just a standard old hatch shell with some flares and paintwork. I really don't understand the way of thinking, but I'll take Mike Proses word that it was destroyed over speculation because unlike Ray Borret and the XU1's and him being told they were destroyed, Mike actually was there, not just told by someone that it happened.

Red I hope you take this as being thorough (curious) not as argumentative. What was not complete about that hatch? As shown in Wheels magazine it clearly has shots of the full interior, a gear stick is in the console, brake discs via the snowflakes, radiator, diff, fuel tank and so the only thing by your comments of NOT A COMPLETE CAR is that it had NO Motor and Gearbox/Tailshaft ??????? Now I can't find a bonnet up shot so maybe it didn't have the motor/gearbox??? But boy GMH do a bloody good job of fitting up the right springs (hacksaw) to get it sitting like it did have all that missing weight. Everyone knows what happens with a torrie stance without all that weight.

One other thing where Snowflakes even available in a PCD of 4,25". (107.95mm) as GM and Pontiac was 4.75" (120.6mm). Your not swapping wheels between LX and HQ.

This is not some extra just found A9X about to devalue the brand as I know you (Red) like to be seen as the protector of the A9X and its value. I think Yel327 said it best Crushing Cars was very out of character for GMH (overall policy action). That's why this doesn't ring true.

I mean lets face fact any secret squirrel stuff is way past its useful and use by date. We are faced with loosing people like Harry and yet these silly history stories really should be provable beyond hazy distant memories or words in a pub (or at a car show) some 40yrs later.

Edited by LXSS350, 20 June 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#41 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

I own this car.

I bought it real cheap.

Its in my shed.

No, I wont show you.

#42 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

:stirpot:

#43 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

I own this car.

I bought it real cheap.

Its in my shed.

No, I wont show you.

I thought I owned this car.......(must be dreaming)
No, I bought it real cheap.........(it was $100)
Last I saw it, it was in my shed.......(missus wouldn't let me keep it in the lounge)
Sorry, can't show you either...........(lost the key to the shed)

LOL

#44 hungus76

hungus76

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Name:Adrian
  • Car:Group C L34, HQ Coupe, VY II SS, VZ Storm Crewman

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

I own this car.

I bought it real cheap.

Its in my shed.

No, I wont show you.

A single light Statesman front would stand out. Doubt it will show up.

Ok, time to confess. I own the 350Z.

2 missing pieces of automotive history discovered in the same day. Incredible!  :D

Attached File  rsz_img_1684.jpg   169.48K   5 downloads

#45 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

People will believe what they want to believe, and anyoway, none of you own it because I do. You see telling you all it's destroyed is part of my secret plan to later reveal it and my factory GMP&A race shell that Brocky owned at one stage. Oh, wait, that doesn't work does it..? Damn

#46 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:21 PM

I heard its in the shed with the 17 A9X's

#47 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:21 PM

Ya pack of bullshit artists.

#48 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:25 PM

I have an article here somewhere that says design wanted the snowflakes on the LE and had an order within the system for them, but supply was delayed and when the honeycombs came in a few dollars cheaper and available, they got the nod

#49 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:28 AM

People will believe what they want to believe, and anyoway, none of you own it because I do. You see telling you all it's destroyed is part of my secret plan to later reveal it and my factory GMP&A race shell that Brocky owned at one stage. Oh, wait, that doesn't work does it..? Damn

Trouble is with a significant find first the evidence has to completely disappear. Its always big trouble when the chassis number and paperwork suddenly come out of left field. The car was definitely a sunbird with its 4 speed, has woodgrain dash, it was a complete car right down to its exhausts it had the A9X kit inc SS style colour bumpers.

Attached Files

Edited by LXSS350, 21 June 2014 - 02:42 AM.

#50 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Photos taken out the front of my shed^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hatchback

0 user(s) are reading this topic