Photo

Hatckback centre console not fitting under centre vents - Anyone had this problem and can help with a fix for it?

hatchback centre console not fitting

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:02 PM

Hopefully it is solved?..if so...good, but it will mean picking up the toys that were tossed out of the cot,not mention the dings in the garage wall that now need fixing and finding the tools that used to be in the toolbox but got caught up in the catcher of the mower...sorry just spinning shiyt....  :)  :)

#27 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

TOY-202 isnt going to be ready for the six banger nats this year, and I dont really wanna show up carless again much as i thoroughly enjoy the weekend. 

I really should get into the habit of an annual holiday, as its not uncommon for me to go 3 years without leaving home bar to go to work....and I have about 400 hours annual leave owing....

So yes Tfest this year is a very real possibility. Probably fly, need to find someone to chauffeur me around.....

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 01 May 2015 - 08:56 PM.

#28 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

Plentry of chauffers to be found at TF Bomber :)

You need to chase down accommodation mate - things might be getting a tad tight in terms of options.

I got the heater box out yesterday afternoon and voila, installed the wrong way up!

Hope the get it back in this week sometime after work and in between running kids to scouts, footy, basketball, optometrist appointments, swimming, etc...

Cheers, TB

#29 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:02 PM

G'day TB

This is what I have done to mine and the missus's consoles

Console-strengthening.jpg

Lay the console on its side with masking tape on the OUTSIDE and fibreglass the inside around the joining seams

I think by memory that I put 4 or more layers of glass on it

The masking tape will stop any excess resin from leaking outside

Also with the joining struts on the inside, fibreglass around them, this will make it heavier but will also be a bloody lot stronger

Doesnt' matter what it looks like on the inside 'cause it is the strength in it that you want and as said before, they all become brittle

I had a bit more confidence in fitting ours once I had strenghtened them up

Barry

#30 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:Rusty the Torana......Nearly complete
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

Just a question on this topic about the spacer behind the heater box......Im putting a hatch console in my sedan.....its actually out of a sunbudgie but the same thing.

I just checked my heater box and it doesn't have that plastic spacer as pictured above and it looks like it never did as it still has the original sealing foam glued to the firewall mounting face on the heater box.

Question...do you guys think this spacer may have only been used on hatches due to the under dash console....allowing more clearance for it or was it common to all LH and LX Toranas...4 door and hatch.

Just checked my dismantle pictures and that spacer was definitely not there from original on my LX 4 door.

cheers

Al

#31 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

My LH has one.

#32 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:08 PM

UC has one as well...as per picture...

#33 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

My LH has one.

UC has one as well...as per picture...

Mmmm I seem to have a little mystery......I thought I had all relevant parts to reassemble my interior and this throws a spanner in the works as Im about 2 days away from installing the heater box.

So what to do now......I havent got that spacer and I think it might take a while to find one.

#34 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

Gasket turned around and voila - slides in easy-peasy :)

Why this wedge isn't built-in to the heater box I am not sure - heck knows...

Why the heater box studs aren't arranged in a way where it can only go one way and so you can't cock it up as I did is also beyond me.

Anyways, it is what it is, and thanks to all I was able to sort it out - thank you.

IMG_2428_zpscc7vndc7.jpg

AL(slar),

You may well be able to knock something up - you have the reference point for it to frame the heater box, it is about depth now.

EunUCh said it was about 2.5mm thick and the wedge seems another 3mm on that starting half way along the side.

The OEM part had the wedge as a rib but I saw nothing to suggests it needs be like that.

If you have some plastic or maybe even one of those white chopping boards to cut left and right dimensions and then a saw which can cut it width wise, you could then may use a chisel to shape the wedge and get yourself out of trouble.

Barry,

Thanks for the suggestion.

The plastic has come through unscathed and so fingers crossed I need not resort to your suggestion.

I appreciate your input nonetheless.

Cheers, TB

#35 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

Thanks TB....i will check it out on the weekend and see what needs to be done.....good suggestion.

#36 _sting_

_sting_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

hi TB looks like you are having fun ,car is coming up a treat as for the console im shore it will fit mine perfect lol 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hatchback, centre console, not fitting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users