Photo

Hatckback centre console not fitting under centre vents - Anyone had this problem and can help with a fix for it?

hatchback centre console not fitting

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

As described, I am trying to fit the centre console into the car.

The top of the console keeps fouling on the centre vents assembly leaving the tail perhaps half an inch above the rear mounting plate whilst also making some very uneasy noises when trying to slot it under the vents - 40-odd year old plastic going 'crack' is a worrying thing :(

Yes, I have removed all underlay below the carpet covering the trans tunnel, alas no change.

I could of course jam it in there and pack up the back end of it - just seems a tad dodgy is all, plus the plastic is clearly very much under stress and again, this can only spell long-term issues for the console's plastic construction.

This is yet another task in the re-build which feels entirely like Ikea furniture: "A won't go in to bloody B FFS!'.  Why this thing just doesn't want to go back together easy-peasy is beyond me...

Ad so, I can't work out what is going on nor why - the heater box has no adjustibility (is that even a word?) and so can't push it up any to give me some more room.

I have heard this is not an uncommon issue and so I am putting it out there - has anyone had this issue and if so, how did you remedy it?

Appreciate your experiences on this one - I am simply out of ideas and about to put yet more dents in the back of my garage door what with more spanners being hurled.  The toys are out of the cot on this one I can tell you.

Regards, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 30 April 2015 - 02:32 PM.

#2 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

The toys are out of the cot on this one I can tell you.

That is a new one on me.. lol... 

And sure sounds odd if you got rid of any extra padding under the carpet. Aside from the clearance on the vents, how does the sides of the console fit in relation to the underside of the dash itself ? 

Are the floor mounting brackets in the original spots and all still ? 

#3 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:49 PM

A picture says a thousand words. Try to post up what you have, where the snags are, you may have wrong components.

It should be a simple bolt up.

s

#4 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

Jeff,

Perfect and not messed with in answer to your questions.

And I can't take anything off the bottom because the inner and outer of the console meet there and to do so would bugger it all.

I am wonder if I should take a bit out of the tops but this would be far from ideal - I would rather pack it up at the back where is screws to the plate below the compartment.

Just concerned at the stress on the console over the long term doing it this way hence the 'pro' for cutting a bit off the tops.

Stephen,

Thanks for your interest but no pics required - it is what it is - the components are all a-okay - everything is OEM and where it should be - it is just the fit hence my comment relating this bloody car of mine to kit built furniture...

I have heard this issue has been encountered by some before hence my asking how others fixed it.

As I see it, I have two choices - pack the rear and cross fingers the integrity of the console remains intact over the long-term what with the tension, or alternatively, cut the tops of the console.

Neither are ideal but I am flush out of ideas hence my enquiring what others who have had this problem have done.

Cheers, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 30 April 2015 - 02:55 PM.

#5 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

I made up the vents on mine (not original) and raised the tunnel slightly but this is how mine fits under at least...  I'd have to dig through more pics, but think this is in a similar location to where it sat when everything was stock as well....been a while though to remember though, ha ha..

Attached Files

#6 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:53 PM

As mentioned, do you have a pic of yours...maybe how it sits "naturally" with no stress put on it and then squeezed in place?  Maybe someone can spot something you haven't yet, fresh pair of eyes and all..

#7 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

Was the console out of the car for a long time and stored somewhere like in the sun or anything ? Wonder if it could have tweaked a bit while not bolted down into it's normal shape ?   Just guessing... 

Sure seems odd it magically doesn't want to sit itself right now, hmmmm...

If the rear is bolted properly flat to the bracket on the floor, would it fit under the dash ok before hitting the vent housing ?   Wonder if the heater box could be caught on something when it was bolted back in and hung up/holding it down slightly ? 

#8 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:11 PM

Thanks Jeff,

Here is a photo in-situ at its natural position before needing to be pushed forward under the vents and funny thing is that even then it sits a tad high at the back where it bolts in:

IMG_2389_zpsgxvm5gjh.jpg

It should slot this far per this exemplar from TF in 2013:

IMG_0876_zps8fwrn0l6.jpg

The console came out of another car (I bought it on Ebay) and so goodness know's its history - my car was a mess when it came to me - easier to write a list of what came with than not.

Having said that, it is a very tidy and intact console and so I do not expect anything to have been moved because of repairs and whatnot at some stage, but you make a valid point - maybe it is not the heater box and car but the console to start with.

And the heater box was put in ages ago before anything else by me - it had nothing to snag on but to be sure, my cursory look just now reflects the same.

Cheers, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 30 April 2015 - 03:14 PM.

#9 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

Put washers on the inside of the bottom row of the bolts holding the heater onto the inside of the firewall. This will raise the vents a bit. Might give clearance?

#10 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:17 PM

Makes sense Daz - certainly didn't think of that - thank you.

Any con's in this approach - thinking the back of the heater box needs to form a seal against the firewall is all?

Cheers, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 30 April 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#11 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:40 PM

just out of curiosity?,when the heater was installed in the cab did the nylon spacer go on with it?

#12 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:07 PM

Good question - yep - I recall this and checked now - installed.

It is shaped a bit like a rego plate frame right?

heers, TB

#13 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:38 PM

just out of curiosity?,when the heater was installed in the cab did the nylon spacer go on with it?

Curious of this spacer, do you have a picture?

Can you buy them from any place as I dont think I have one?

Craig the console looks a little different to mine, is yours a repaired one? 

Attached File  DSC03469.JPG   154.26K   10 downloads

Edited by mika03au, 30 April 2015 - 04:41 PM.

#14 hatchssv8

hatchssv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:53 PM

Thats the one.

You mentioned the condition of the plastic.....most of them are like that now.....brittle and easy to crack.

What I have done is put urethane on the inside where the plastic pieces join and a film of urethans where the plastic has been stressed and may crack.

Sofar so good.

#15 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

You mentioned the condition of the plastic.....most of them are like that now.....brittle and easy to crack.

Absolutely, over time the plasticisers in vinyl and plastic dry out leaving the product less flexible; even quicker in sunlight.

s

#16 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:11 PM

In the pictures posted it looks like vent on yours is sitting a little low compared to the bottom of the dash as compared to

the second picture, but could be just camera angle/lighting?

Weird and frustrating,about the only other thing i can think of is that one the top bolt/s in the heater got "snagged" on the threads and even though it felt like 

it went all the way up it got stuck or as already suggested something got stuck between the box and bulkhead?,bit hard to tell once the box is in,any gap on the top side of the box where it meets the bulk head? would probably only have to be a mm or 2 and at the vent end it would end up a bit more.

Pic. of spacer fitted,roughly 2.5mm thick.

Attached File  spcr.JPG   72.34K   5 downloads

#17 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:00 PM

Curious of this spacer, do you have a picture?
Can you buy them from any place as I dont think I have one?

Craig the console looks a little different to mine, is yours a repaired one? 

attachicon.gifDSC03469.JPG

Been there & swore at that issue. The plastic spacer is wedge shaped, thick on one edge and thin on the other. Get it the wrong way and the vents sit down and foul the console!

#18 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

^ good point, just took one off ,it is too,the top is the thin bit and it has a rib that starts just below the "corner" and continues around the bottom to the other "corner".

The bottom measurement is close to 5mm and the rib faces the box,if fitted upside down that would be enough to drop the box at the vent end enough to cause a "bit of" a problem.

#19 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:22 PM

side on view,"fat bit" to bottom of box.

Attached File  sph.JPG   24.2K   3 downloads

#20 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:05 PM

GMH Torana forum members to the rescue me thinks!!!!

#21 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:53 PM

All,

Thank you for your help.

What you suggest makes sense Baron, and EunUCh's photos make it all the more apparent.

I'll get the box out and have a look - fingers crossed I have it in the wrong way and all will therefore be sweet once fixed.

Thanks once again and cheers, TB

#22 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:12 PM

Ah the good old dance we play building cars....

First you take a step forward, then two back....then one to the left...then two back....then two forward, one to the right, and sixteen back.....

#23 Kirk

Kirk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Name:Kirk
  • Car:LX SS 253

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:43 PM

I m having the same problem in the hatch but when i put the console  in the sedan no problems it lines up perfectly.The heater in the hatch was taken out and put back in but the one in the sedan hasnt been touched .I am assuming the heater was not reinstalled properly

#24 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:00 PM

Ah the good old dance we play building cars....

First you take a step forward, then two back....then one to the left...then two back....then two forward, one to the right, and sixteen back.....

I hear you Bomber - everything I do with this car takes three goes or so it seems.

Truth be told however, it is more to do with 'operator error' his unfamiliarity with the car than anything else.

Friends in my club seemingly do this stuff with their eyes closed and have long learned the pitfalls I always seem to encounter.

I have learned to stop and savour the wins as they arise - I'd go mad otherwise!

And so fingers crossed, this is all to do with the direction I have fitted the gasket and thereafter it will be smooth sailing...

Probably should have said that out loud - Murphy's Law will probably bite now :(

It is also what is great about this forum: 180-odd views and 20-odd replies to my request for help and voila, it seems the matter is resolved - this place and the community that underwrites it is a brilliant place.

And tell me, have you bitten the bullet and committed to TF 2015 as yet?

Cheers, TB

#25 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

Cool you got it (hopefully) figured out ! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hatchback, centre console, not fitting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users