5 replies to this topic

#1 _life by the torana_

_life by the torana_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

Attached File  IMG_7519.JPG   301.42K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7592.JPG   247.93K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7584.jpg   164.41K   2 downloads

hey guys, i am in need of help! this is the 6 cylinder LJ coupe i just picked up but unfortunately around the front windshield it is all rusted out! from the cowl to the top of the windshield including the pillars.

Fortunately the rust hasn't gone to where the back of the bonnet meets the cowl so I'm thinking of chopping the whole front windshield frame out and replacing it with my 4 cylinder 4 door LC's one since i have it as a parts car and that whole section has no rust.

Attached File  IMG_7560.JPG   230.35K   1 downloads

what is everyones opinion on this? will it work or are they different angles or sizes?

also thinking of getting a professional to do the job how much do you reckon it will cost me  around?

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,540 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Jake, the panels are the same except for some LC v's LJ differences in the dash panel inside the cabin so go for it. Cost wise, how long is a piece of string? The more prep work you can do yourself will reduce the cost.

Contact some repairers and get some ideas of cost, be aware though that a lot of mainstream panel shops these days are not that interested in rust repairs/restorations. The ones that will take on your job may use it as fill in work between the more important/urgent insurance smash repairs.

So keep in mind a repairers promise of a job taking a couple of weeks or so may blow out to months or even year/s.

Cheers

Dave.

P.S: if you are getting rid of the two tone roof don't throw out the stainless steel paint division mouldings on the rear quarter panel uppers.

There is a forum member here (Mikecatts) who is or was looking for a good set for his resto.

Edited by S pack, 19 June 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#3 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:32 AM

Have a look at the LJ GTR I did..It will help what you are doing. You will have to fix the pelum chamber.. Take off the whole window cowl, then fix underneath and put the new one back.. Using ure window as a guide.

mike.

Oh..It takes me about 300-400 hours to totaly go through a LC LJ and fix ALL the rust.. not including panel beating/paint.

http://www.gmh-toran...airs-on-lj-gtr/

P.S: if you are getting rid of the two tone roof don't throw out the stainless steel paint division mouldings on the rear quarter panel uppers.

There is a forum member here (Mikecatts) who is or was looking for a good set for his resto.

Ta Dave..Im still looking.

#4 _2DR_

_2DR_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:42 PM

i have a good set mike if you are still chasing

2dr

#5 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

i have a good set mike if you are still chasing

2dr

pm sent.

#6 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

My LJ had similar issues but not quite so nasty,I was really lucky in that my panel beater is an old school tradesman and used a section out of a dead HT to replace the same section with a bit of massaging,it only cost me $350 to get it repaired and the flutes cut in,mind you I had to wait 4 months to get it back coz it was an end of the day fill in

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LJ, LC, rust, windshield, 4 cylinder, 6 cylnder, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users