Say's it all hey?

#103 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

A mate posted this on fb the other night. Funny thing is it happened just down the road from me. Good thing old mate had a witness!

#104 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:32 PM

It's meeting a smart arse copper like this that really lowers ones opinion of the force in general. Cowboys who think they are intellectual giants trying to catch someone out on a throwaway comment. It's a pity these guys exist because in general my experiences have been positive. Nice folk doing a shitty job who are usually polite.

#105 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

A good friend of mine's son is a detective, they refer to traffic branch as "jury frOckers" for reasons shown above. Most of them seem to be dickheads bringing down the work of the guys in the police service there for the right reasons..

#106 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

I'm sure there a few power trippers out there, I have met one or two in the past, but if people are modifying their cars with the direct intention of breaking the law and quite possibly putting innocent people's lives at risk, then something has to be, and will be done. Any moron can work that one out. And a blanket approach is the most efficient in areas of high population. So in the end even innocent car enthusiasts / modifiers suffer.

It seems to me that many so called hoons believe they have a right to speed, do burnouts and generally carry on like irresponsible frOckheads. Every time I go to town I see someone do something stupid and potentially life threatening. For what purpose other than some juvenile attempt at self-aggrandizement ? Do they really think that someone who can really drive will think they are heroes ?

Or dickheads ?

If you are using public roads then it is with the understanding that you obey the rules. Or at least it should be.

And these new rules are no more than an attempt to curb existing behaviour.

I may not agree with them but going by all the rubber I see left on the roads these days it isn't surprising they are taking such extreme measures. Much of the time it may be relatively harmless but it is also completely pointless.

#107 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

Fair point,one observation I have from in my area though is that the amount of marks on the road seems to increase every time they bring out stiffer penalties!

Rebels without a cause maybe?

#108 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

Rebels without a cause maybe?

More like idiots without any regard for others.

#109 _ljshawn_

_ljshawn_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

I had a idiot do a burn out as the lights turned green yesterday as a I was walking passed them on the footpath with my 1yo. I think people are getting more and more stupid so the rules have made more and more stringent due to these idiots. Our roads are not great and rocks get thrown just as car drive around. I don't like this rule but it's needed for clowns like this. I find it's generally people in newer cars, turbo falcons and commodores

#110 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

I doubt many blokes on this forum haven't done the odd skid in their youth.

I know I did. In all kinds of inappropriate places.

It was fun, but I grew out of it, like most blokes.

I wasn't scared off by rules, rules mean nothing when you are young and bulletproof.

It just wasn't much fun after a while.

Plus, I started drag racing, which was more fun.

Its a scientific fact that young fellas brains haven't developed to understand risk or danger too well by the time they get their licenses.

Its a big part of why they figure so highly in all manner of accident statistics (as I certainly did).

Sad but true.

I doubt very much if this rule will have any impact at all on road accidents or young fellas behaviour in motorcars.

It will give the appearance of the pollies doing a good thing when they can roll out statistics of impounded/crushed cars.

But no actual change in behaviour.

That's my 2c worth.

#111 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

I stopped doing burnouts on the street after too many driveline failures. Or at least greatly reduced the frequency. More booze busses would be a greater factor in reducing the road toll. And catching those drivers speeding WAY over the limit.

#112 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

When I was a teenager growing up there was an acceptable level of behaviour.

If your behaviour fell below the acceptable level there was punishment attached.

The punishment generally hurt.

So you learnt to keep your behaviour on the acceptable side or risk the punishment.

The punishment varied depending on the place your behaviour was deemed unacceptable.

Most people changed their behaviour to only acceptable behaviour or conduct there unacceptable behaviour where there was little chance of discovery.

These days the level of acceptable behaviour has not only dropped significantly, but the punishments dont seem to have any effect.

The punishments dont hurt.

Society has deemed the old punishments as no longer acceptable.

Impounding cars and crushing them might just hurt enough people that others may decide to curb their behaviour.

It may or may not work.

But instead of saying its not right come up with a better solution to curbing anti social behaviour.

Dont just sit there and harp about it..

Some wise person once said if you find a problem without trying to find a solution, you are still just part of the problem,

#113 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:52 PM

I guess I have a biased viewpoint as I haven't lived in a city for over 25 years now. I could have a 'sustained loss of traction' from the main road to my front gate if I wished, and no-one would probably care much except a couple of houses close to the road who would cop a bit more dust. 

And to be honest, I'd much rather do that kind of thing on the dirt. Preferably in a paddock.

Yeah I did some stupid sh!t when I was young but I certainly am not proud of it. I had to learn the hard way.

I just think it's better to spend your money and testosterone on a go kart and go racing than blowing it on tyres and driveline failures. 

#114 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:28 AM

I doubt many blokes on this forum haven't done the odd skid in their youth.

I know I did. In all kinds of inappropriate places.

It was fun, but I grew out of it, like most blokes.

I wasn't scared off by rules, rules mean nothing when you are young and bulletproof.

It just wasn't much fun after a while.

Plus, I started drag racing, which was more fun.

Its a scientific fact that young fellas brains haven't developed to understand risk or danger too well by the time they get their licenses.

Its a big part of why they figure so highly in all manner of accident statistics (as I certainly did).

Sad but true.

I doubt very much if this rule will have any impact at all on road accidents or young fellas behaviour in motorcars.

It will give the appearance of the pollies doing a good thing when they can roll out statistics of impounded/crushed cars.

But no actual change in behaviour.

That's my 2c worth.

I totally agree with this.....    and from my point of reference, what you said was/is the norm.....  when you mix youth & cars/motorbikes, there gonna push the limits (as I believe, we all did)....  From the moment the Car or Motorcycle was invented, young blokes have pushed the limits, and they have done it on the roads.   

Driver education is the only thing that may help.....   but if I look back on my own reckless behaviour,   luck was the only education I had.   one bike accident at 25, one car accident at 39, both not my fault......  

So just saying, if you support car crushing, or confiscation for Hoon Behaviour,  then surely High Range Drink Driving must be added, Speeders above 40 kph over the speed limit as well, Unregistered Unlicenced Drivers, crush there cars too, and P Platers, just crush their cars straight up, because we know there gonna drive like maniacs ...  and soon enough,  there will be heaps of room on the roads,  for all us cynical old bastards, and our Mobility Scooters..  but thats another story...  my 2 cents as well .

#115 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

The big difference between doing skids and the other stuff you mentioned Ian is that the skids are highly visible.

The people doing them tend to piss off a lot of people in a very short space of time.

Where I lived years ago we used to have regular visits by the street dragging community.

They used to piss a lot of people off too.

Cops put on major operations to target these people at the time.

In the end it will be the highly visible behaviour that gets the attention.

Perhaps its because the officials can be seen to be making an impact.

#116 _ljshawn_

_ljshawn_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:02 AM

I think a lot of it is about location. When I was younger I used to do a few skids etc. But I would go to the back of a industrial area in a deadend street do what I wanted and leave. Not around general public in busy areas

#117 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:19 AM

yes Rob, again I must agree...  it is very visible, and it is the public's no 1 hate..   loud cars, blow off valves, sub woofers, and burnouts..  I can't just blame the Import scene, but the Jap import cars are cheap, fast, and because of a certain movie (that glorifies that type of beheaviour) very popular with the youngen's ..  And I guess, with all the car racing stars doing burnouts and doughnuts, when they win, young guy's want to do the same....   and some just really like the feeling of doing it..     Me personally, i luv doing wheelstands on my bike, I don't have a race track, so sometimes it happens on the road...  the feeling well out ways the risks .....  and there's the rub...................  :huh:

#118 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

Guys in their 40s, 50s and 60s telling younger people how it used to be and what heroes they were / still are certainly doesn't help the situation.

#119 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:17 PM

Laz

The difference back when I was younger we tended to do our stuff away from the public eye.

An old mate of mine drummed it into me.

Dont shit in your own nest.

You have to live there.

So we did the majority of our stuff in remote areas.

I used to ride my motorcross bike through town to get to the bush.

Used to putt through town as quiet as possible.

Waited till away from the houses before opening it up.

Same on the way home.

The people who lived near the bush and along my route used to compliment me and the mates about our respect for them.

Not all the riders were the same.

The out of towners had no respect and used to get dramas from the cops, while we rode past undisturbed

#120 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:07 PM

We are becoming a banana republic country as time goes on . For Christ sake just take the hoons licence away for a period of time instead of crushing his car .

This government needs to relax the liabilities and insurance costs that tribute to high cost of entries to offroad track events , gymkanas , racetracks,  etc ,

Let the young guys play in organised controlled locations instead , then theres no excuse for misbehaving on the roads . 

#121 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:56 PM

Unfortunately its the insurance companies that put the costs up for insurance.

And that is because these days no one wants to be responsible for themselves.

They want to be able to blame someone and make a dollar from suing.

#122 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

Since when did  burn-outs get to be called 'skids' ?

Isn't a skid what happens when your brakes lock up ?

I remember them being called wheelies, way back when, bur never skids.

Dr Terry

#123 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:40 PM

I remember when we all started calling them skids.

It was around 1988/89.

Some  pissed sheila in the main street of Campbelltown yelled at one of our group as we were cruising up and down Queen Street, "Do a skid, mister!"

We cracked up,(for the reason you stated above) and it instantly entered our vocabulary as a tool to mock each other with.

I doubt that's the first account of it being used, but its my first account.

I love Aussie slang.

#124 _greg2240_

_greg2240_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:49 PM

I agree Terry, it was always burnouts when I was younger(still is at the drags as far as I know), you don't hear the commentator say "big skid" from a top fueller do you? and yes a skid has always meant locking the brakes, like when cop's measure SKID marks after an accident! Greg

#125 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

Drifting used be known as "hanging it out round a corner" too.

Language evolves.

Different words mean different things to different people at different times.

Slang changes with the generations. Words come and go like fashion.

Always have, always will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users