Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:38 PM

Potta

I think just impound there car longer for repeat offenders, its not the cars fault its the drivers fault is it not.

#77 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

Potta

I think just impound there car longer for repeat offenders, its not the cars fault its the drivers fault is it not.

A lot of these idiots don't learn from a slap on the wrist and a "don't do it again" message from a magistrate. If the driver has one less car, he has one less opportunity to re-offend.

#78 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:58 AM

A lot of these idiots don't learn from a slap on the wrist and a "don't do it again" message from a magistrate. If the driver has one less car, he has one less opportunity to re-offend.

Be extremely careful to whom you may loan your car, lest it end up impounded or worse still, crushed.

#79 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:05 AM

Rob, I tried to ignore your post to me, but you got me , so here goes...........   Rob, have you ever been booked for speeding??,  and if you have you were very irresponsible, and if you have been booked for speeding twice, you are obviously an idiot, because you never learnt ....  me personally,  I have a perfect driving record, and have completed a defensive driving course, that allows me to drive outside of the norm. (so I think anyway :)... ) so I should be allowed to perform obviously dangerous burnouts in relative safety......   hell I watch the NASCAR driver do it all the time ....  It's easy, one foot on the brake, one one the throttle ....  but some people (maybe you, by the look of your car, should not take these crazy risks) .....  and leave it to the professionals........     :thebird:   

Ian. No offence was taken.

I can see you point. Have had the discussion with others over a beer on many ocassions.

2 problems.

1st that wasnt the subject of the thread.

2nd.

This is the really hard one.

How do you go about allowing someone with more skills than Joe Blow to do these extra things?

Would there be a licencing scheme, and how would you qualify?

The way our society works is they come up with something that the worst qualified and experienced person is able to reasonably handle.

Then we all have to abide by that.

Its not just driving.

Its every part of society.

Yes I have been booked a few times for speeding. Never argued with the cop either about the fine or the offence. I knew the risks of my actions and copped it sweet when I got caught.

#80 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:48 AM

Still no need to crush the car, Jail may be the answer

#81 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

Sorry Rob.............       Yeah reading back on that.....  I went on a bit..  Must of had my period..  :) ........  so sorry for that lot....

yes the topic is about a $50,000 dollar muscle car maybe being crushed...  but it shouldn't matter what the car is, it is the offence that counts..  and the penalty's should reflect the level of obvious danger the public is exposed too..   but I to have seen some very dangerous ones done on Youtube, that did put the public at huge risk.  and if those few fools with no regard for others get caught, well, .... I'm sure there are already Laws that can deal with them adequately (loss of licence + heavy fines, ect),   but most burnouts, are done at very low speeds,  so to me, crushing a car worth $5000 or $105,000, for something, that I believe falls into low level risk is extreme to say the least..   

I am not the type of person to lobby Government to change anything....  but if I was, ....      the penalty's for Texting while driving would be increased, with a second offence resulting in on the spot lose of licence...  (even if done while stopped at traffic lights).......

There is no level of Licence that should ever allow anyone to drive outside the Laws that govern road users....  you obey the Law, or you cop the penalty.  just like Lewis Hamilton did when he got caught doing a burnout in front of a cop car... shouldn't matter how good you are....  or you find somewhere safe / safer :)   to do the risky actions, that most of us enjoy ....   as I said, I luv Motorcycles, and the ones I like,  all do over the National Speed Limit in first gear, and have another five gears to go .....     so I guess I'm one of those,  who live in a glass house, and I try not to even pick up stones anymore.............  :)  

#82 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:18 AM

Ive had the misfortune to be a passenger in a car when the driver was so incompetent to be scary.

This bloke was a danger on the road to himself and others.

I have also been passenger in a car with a driver who had consumed a few bevvies.

He was safer than the other driver at all levels.I however do not condone drink driving. Ever.

There are drivers of different abilities but we all have to conform to the same rules.

It isnt fair on those who have spent the extra dollars and time attending advanced driving courses and actually learning how to handle their vehicles.

Speed limits on open roads are a point. Little traffic. The educated driver can handle some extra speed.

I have been in a position where I was able to travel legally at speeds above what is posted. I have the training and awareness to be able to do so competently. I am sure there are others on this forum who have more training and experience than I have as well.

The public got the shits with people doing burnouts.

The Police and the politicians got together with some paper pushers and came up with something they could do about it.

Generally speaking a burnout is a relatively harmless thing.
But every day I drive past a tree around the corner that a car doing a burnout hit.

2 people in that car are no longer with us.

So they are not entirely harmless.

Personally I believe that we need a better driver education scheme.

All drivers should learn how to control cars a lot better than they do now.

But no politician will ever be game enough to legislate for that.

I am no angel myself.

I have been known to do socially irresponsible things.

I still have a point to point record that hopefully no one will ever attempt to better.

It was done a long time ago.

#83 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:18 AM

Speed limits on open roads are a point. Little traffic. The educated driver can handle some extra speed.

I have been in a position where I was able to travel legally at speeds above what is posted. I have the training and awareness to be able to do so competently. I am sure there are others on this forum who have more training and experience than I have as well.

The public got the shits with people doing burnouts.

The Police and the politicians got together with some paper pushers and came up with something they could do about it.

Generally speaking a burnout is a relatively harmless thing.

What kicked the whole push for 'hooning' legislation off in Qld was not so much 'burnouts' but illegal drag racing on the streets at the Gold Coast.

Other anti social driving activities were then added. The most notable piece of rubbish was 'CRUISING'

Edited by S pack, 03 November 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#84 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:42 PM

It isnt fair on those who have spent the extra dollars and time attending advanced driving courses and actually learning how to handle their vehicles.

...Speed limits on open roads are a point. Little traffic. The educated driver can handle some extra speed.

...Personally I believe that we need a better driver education scheme.
All drivers should learn how to control cars a lot better than they do now.
But no politician will ever be game enough to legislate for that.

Not citing you specifically Rockoz but the stats are against this argument - those undertaking 'driver training' have worse collision records thereafter than those who do not. This is why (typically) graduates of courses do not get a discount on their insurance.
Cheers, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 03 November 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#85 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Location:Adelaide... city of... anyone know something good about it?
  • Car:UC hatch

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

Politicians don't want driver education - they want tough laws and lots of lovely revenue. Despite what they claim, they don't want people to stop speeding - state governments would lose hundreds of millions of dollars each year.

#86 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

Still no need to crush the car, Jail may be the answer

I stayed overnight for being drunk and disorderly in a public place. People who kill when drunk driving get maybe 18 months and are out in 12. How many days do you think these guys would get? And it would probably be fully suspended.

Anyway, crush or sell, it does slow them down a bit. Especially if they still owed money on it.

#87 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:32 AM

Would you be so supportive of a Law that crushes all modified cars ??..........    No one needs to have a Modified Car on the roads either.   all cars for decades have been able to do well over the National Speed Limit, so If a law was brought out that no performance modifications will be deemed legal, and the penalty was,  forfeit your car for destruction...  would you still support the Law...   and I know it's fair to say, "not all people with modified cars are a danger"  but it is also fair to ask, "why have you modified your car for more performance" if you don't intend to use the extra performance at sometime.....  

Anyway, I'm on the no crush bandwagon.   way to extreme for the offence IMHO  :)            and I believe this Law is the thin edge of the wedge, and public acceptance will only give them justification to go after the Modified Car Enthusiasts eventually..  and then High Performance Motorcycles ..  :(

From 2008 QLD ...... 

Car confiscation laws statewide
Queensland Police Minister Judy Spence has
warned repeat offenders that car confiscation
laws went statewide from Tuesday,
July 1, after a trial in which nearly 1,500
cars were confiscated.
Ms Spence said: “Repeat offenders beware
– flout the law and you could lose your vehicle
for 48 hours for the first repeat offence,
up to three months for a second
repeat offence, or permanently for a third
repeat offence.
“These laws have been trialled in the
Southern Region and the North Coast Region
(from July 1, 2007) and the South
Eastern Region (from December 1, 2007).
“By the end of May, four people had their
vehicles permanently forfeited, 39 people
had lost their vehicles for up to three
months, and 1,462 people had their vehicles
impounded for 48 hours.
“Not only do offenders face the inconvenience
of losing their vehicle, they have to
pay the towing and holding fees.
“With the laws statewide, we anticipate
confiscating thousands of vehicles each
year, mainly from unlicenced or disqualified
drivers. That is unless they learn their
lesson.
“It can cost up to $255 to tow a vehicle to a
holding yard and thousands in fees if vehicles
are in storage for months. My message
to repeat offenders is you will be caught,
you will be fined, you will lose your vehicle
and you will incur serious costs.”
The Type 2 hoon laws target repeat offenders
who are charged with multiple offences
in one of five categories:
• Driving an unregistered and uninsured
motor vehicle
• Driving while unlicenced or disqualified
• Drink driving over 0.15
• Failing to supply a specimen of
breath or blood, or driving under
24-hour suspension
• Driving an illegally modified vehicle.
Of the vehicles impounded to date, 1,297
or nearly 90 percent, have been for repeat
unlicenced or disqualified offences.

#88 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

Not citing you specifically Rockoz but the stats are against this argument - those undertaking 'driver training' have worse collision records thereafter than those who do not. This is why (typically) graduates of courses do not get a discount on their insurance.
Cheers, TB

I can't remember where I saw this, but the stats you mention were analysed by an independent body & were discounted. When I'm back on my computer I'll see if I can find the article. Plus AAMI & a few others do have discounted rates for drivers who have done defensive driving courses IIRC.

#89 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:34 AM

The Type 2 hoon laws target repeat offenders
who are charged with multiple offences
in one of five categories:
• Driving an unregistered and uninsured
motor vehicle
• Driving while unlicenced or disqualified
• Drink driving over 0.15
• Failing to supply a specimen of
breath or blood, or driving under
24-hour suspension
• Driving an illegally modified vehicle.

OMG, some poor old Granny who forgot to pay her rego is a HOON.

The general public seem to think these laws only apply to drivers (esp young males) performing idiotic and dangerous acts on our roads, everyone should think again.

#90 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

I keep seeing these new notice boards on the road saying "cameras now detecting unregistered cars, pay your rego or risk a fine"

does that mean they will send you a $600 fine if it is not paid on time ?  that will make em a motza !!

#91 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:56 AM

I love statistics.

They are the biggest excuse for telling lies and getting away with it.

Give 3 interest groups the exact same raw data and get them to analyse it and come up with their statistical information.

The same raw data will give 3 entirely different results depending on what the analysists wish to project.

The raw data too is often wrong.

I used to have a little bit to do with some crash investigations.

Surprised me how often speed was cited as a factor in a crash when there was no evidence to support that conclusion.

Another great one is the smoking lobby.

They will count hospital admissions due to smoking even though smoking wasnt a contributing factor in the admission.

Just because you stated you were a smoker you come up in those statistics.

It would take an absolute fool to say that a better trained driver is a bigger risk on the road.

When I did my first course, the instructor said that we would probably be more likely to get booked for speeding.

And that in the event of a crash we would be more likely to have a minor crash than major crash.

His reasoning was that we had more likelihood of being in more control of the events than someone with less experience.

#92 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,058 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:23 AM

Despite what they claim, they don't want people to stop speeding - state governments would lose hundreds of millions of dollars each year.

The government shouting out "Hoon cars will be crushed", just made it easier to get these laws passed. The intention was always to sell the cars. Not crush them. Money money money.

I love statistics.
They are the biggest excuse for telling lies and getting away with it.
Surprised me how often speed was cited as a factor in a crash when there was no evidence to support that conclusion.
Another great one is the smoking lobby.
They will count hospital admissions due to smoking even though smoking wasnt a contributing factor in the admission.
Just because you stated you were a smoker you come up in those statistics.

They ask, "How fast was car A going when it hit car B? 80kph in a 80kph zone. Well if he was travelling at 60kph, neither driver would have died. Therefore speed was a factor with both of these cars." :wtf:

It would take an absolute fool to say that a better trained driver is a bigger risk on the road.

Or that a four point harness is more dangerous than a lap sash seat belt. (Been done for that one) :banghead:

#93 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:52 AM

The 4 point harness was explained to me years ago and it has just a little bit of merit.

The reasoning then was that in the event of a rollover and heavy impact on the roof, with a normal seatbelt you would move to the side reducing the risk of head injury.

With a 4 point it would hold you upright and increase the chances of a broken neck.

Ive seen a lot of cars that have rolled over and none of them have sustained damage that backed up that theory.

I think there are other theories that they use these days. Maybe one of them will provide a plausible reason.

#94 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:09 AM

I keep seeing these new notice boards on the road saying "cameras now detecting unregistered cars, pay your rego or risk a fine"

does that mean they will send you a $600 fine if it is not paid on time ?  that will make em a motza !!

Not paying your rego on time and continuing to drive is pretty dumb.

Even if some useless fool runs into you, you are still at fault.

And uninsured.

#95 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:25 AM

yeah I know that Laz... but i am sure a lot of people either forget or cant afford it and let it lapse a few days while waiting for a pay cheque ?

I am wondering if it is the speed camera detecting this, or those big overhead gantry type cameras that monitor trucks etc..... hell, they could even hook up toll cameras to do the same....

#96 royalplumss

royalplumss

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Car:had L31 SS Hatch

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

With a 4 point it would hold you upright and increase the chances of a broken neck.

Ive seen a lot of cars that have rolled over and none of them have sustained damage that backed up that theory.

With a roll cage and harness, your chances of survival increase dramatically in a rollover - even if you have the extra inertia of a helmet wrenching your head around.

There are always scenarios that would invalidate this argument such as the " i wasnt wearing my seatbelt and got thrown out - would have drowned otherwise for sure"

Imperical evidence dictates the fact that racing car drivers wear 4/5 point harnesses......(for a reason)

High lateral support seats will keep you held nice and firmly in your seat without a harness......

The harness stops you snapping the normal ADR (cheap factory) belt, your ribs, pelvis, head and all sorts of things in a roll over.

Sure, you might break your neck in a head-on collision but try it with a normal seat belt.

My brother ended up wedged into the passenger side footwell of a holden panel van when he flipped it with a normal seat belt. Not pretty at all. He died 3 times on the way to hospital but survived the coma.

NSW does not allow full cages. At least you can get a half cage if you sacrifice passengers

And you can get ADR compliant harnesses now...and even without a roll cage are still a better proposition than the lap/sash factory crap

However, heaven help anyone pulled over by mister plod with any sort of extra safety devices in your car.

You are not considered a citizen concerned for your own well being

You are a Hoon (because you wouldnt need them if you intended to drive carefully, obviously)

The point is, anyone who has any sort of powerful car or any sort of modification that even looks like it might be racing/ performance/ 'hoon' related then you are a target for all cops and wowsers.

People need to vote with their feet

#97 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

Not paying your rego on time and continuing to drive is pretty dumb.

Even if some useless fool runs into you, you are still at fault.

And uninsured.

Mark, in NSW, we don't have Rego labels anymore.  so if you somehow misplace or forget about your renewal or it is late being sent, or you are driving a company car that has run out of Rego, you can't tell, as there is no label on the window to visually check ....    still dumb i guess, but easy enough to happen ..  

#98 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

Would you be so supportive of a Law that crushes all modified cars ?

You are under no obligation to have your car impounded, auctioned or crushed. Provided you obey the law.

#99 _Macca97_

_Macca97_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:29 PM

a young female police officer threated me that i could get the HJ crushed if i kept doing what I just did, and all i did was, be in 2nd gear, about to go to 3rd but i couldnt cause i needed to dip my lights so i just stayed in 2nd abit longer, as its abit hard to put the clutch in and press the dipper switch at the same time, and she said i was a public nucents because i was making alot of noise, and that no car has a dipper switch on the floor, than i desided to show her, all she said was that isnt factory and should be illegal and said to leave, so i did,

#100 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:40 PM

Cops will say all sorts of things if they have had a bad day. Don't draw attention to yourself and avoid the hassles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users