#26 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:35 PM

830hp,
For those who have invested in a disk do you think it would be fair to post a download to obtain this info on this site?

Perhaps forum members who have a copy of the original fische could have placed it on the forum as a download, prior to it been placed on Ebay by someone who has the sense to realise that the info is highly sought after and could be cashed in on.

I guess a few people would be $250 better off!

Thoughts please? :fool:
2600s

#27 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:59 PM

It won't be long before these discks are around for $50 or less as others try to get back their costs or make money. I bet the original seller has more to go.
Then we can all have one anyway.
But if the imformation is freely avaliable then any cheats can more easily be shown up.
It will come as duplication of numbers so if some one is going to buy a car they can check online right away and if any one is worried about the car they have now, on road or in shed they could check lists and post their chassis no, thus claiming right to genuine vehicle.
I would be happy to register my chassis no. or build code and protect against theft.
A forum register could be used as proof of ownership of those vehicle details
At the momemt I can go to my local police station and ask them to check an engine no. is it in use ? free. So if I make up 2600s45678 and its not registered
anywhere I stamp block and hey presto can register my car with GTR engine no.
Once registered it's legal.

#28 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:28 PM

ok , ive been asked to share a copy by a forum member ,

since i paid 250 , i,m prepared to cut 4 copies at 50 dollars each to forum members only to reduce my cost what i paid !!!!

first 4 to email or pm me , first in best dressed ...

cheers 830

#29 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:35 PM

the info is not that radical but a good tool to help with purchasing a car .
however buyers should go over a car carefully include checking of stamping
doublin gtr you are still right .

l couldnt agree more with Doublin and 830hp, having the numbers allows you to verify that those numbers are off an XU-1 yourself. However you still need to have the car inspected by an expert as thats the ONLY way you will know what you are getting.

l think a lot more good than bad will result from this info becoming public. l dont understand why its the end of the world to some.

Cheers

#30 goxu1

goxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:4/73 Cyan Metallic GTR XU-1

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:46 PM

what sort of format is the list in ? Is it a direct copy of the old microfische ?

#31 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:37 PM

goxu1 ,

yes its the microfish data and clear , approx 1600 pages ,
very well done
looks like ocr digital scan

i have successfully done the 4 c.d,s from the c.d i purchased

2 have been spoken for and 2 left

#32 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:14 AM

I wonder if Holden is aware there intellectual property is being cashed in on Ebay, maybe if they knew they might make some of this data available to this forum and car clubs for free??

830HP if you have paid $250 it only makes sense to try and recoup some ca$h by going 4 ways, also shares the info at hand with other enthusiasts which is what all of us should be about! :clap:

Regards
2600s :spoton:

#33 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

goxu1 ,

yes its the microfish data and clear , approx 1600 pages ,
very well done
looks like ocr digital scan

i have successfully done the 4 c.d,s from the c.d i purchased

2 have been spoken for and 2 left

Give me your bank details and I will put $100 in it and you can post the details on the forum.
You come out ahead and we all have access .

#34 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:02 PM

doublin gtr and others are right, there's more to the LC/LJ genome than the info provided in the microfiche.
Check this site from the Camaro Research Group in the US.
VIN list ZL1

This list provides the VIN numbers and the relevant option info for all 69 ZL1 Camaros, considered the rarest and most sought after model, and the site has heaps of info relating to specific models, differences between production plants, date codes, protecto-plate info etc.

I'd doubt if anybody would try to build a car from this info, i reckon the experts would quickly know it's a fraud, but it just shows how much info is out there.
grant

#35 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:43 AM

Look I could understand if someone has done a reshell of a damaged car using the same running gear/color/trim combinations and using the original compliance plates, and the body number on the skirt, this was widely done in the old days when you could purchase replacement shells from Holden's, but making a car out of nothing can simply not be done!

I think the info on the microfish will be more helpful than a hinderance or cause for alarm.

2600s

#36 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:17 PM

Bit hard to put the genie back in the bottle. As a source of interest to Torana owners who just want to have a read, and confirm their car is on the list, the info is probably worth a few dollars. As a source of possibly bodgying up cars to make them worth more than what they currently are, it's a potential problem. People are right when they're saying that it will still be possible to spot a fake, but with the microfiche info and the usual inforamtion sharing from this forum, I think that it would be difficult - especially if we as a group of enthusiasts can come up with a safe way to hold a register of details on genuine (and non-genuine) cars.

There's only really three scenarios with this info, as far as I'm concerned;

(1) the 'old' scenario, where a select few had possession of it, and were willing to divulge info about specific cars on request, but were not wanting to supply info which would allow fakes to be built.

(2) the current scenario, where a handful of people have handed over a large sum of money for the same information.

(3) the future scenario, where the information is freely available to those who are interested.

Scenario one worked OK, but could be time consuming to get info back.

Scenario 2 is dangerous, as it leaves the information in the hands of a few - most would undoubtedly be honest with it, but some may use it to try to make and sell fakes, and because the info is not accessible to all, they may get away with it on occasion - not good.

Scenario 3 is probably the best one, where everyone has access to the same info. If you're keen to buy a prospective car, at least you have the same info as everyone else to check it out.

I think that if people on the forum have paid $$ for a copy, then if they are willing to sell copies of it to make some of their money back, then so be it. The info is better off in the hands of everyone, than just some, and lets face it - the person who is selling the copies had it copied in the first place.

Just a thought - how about if Clubs in each state put up some $$ to buy copies at reasonable costs from forum members who bought them, to reimburse some of the original purchase price. Then the Clubs could decide what they wanted to do with the information - either use it as a reference source, or make it available to members?

#37 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

I contacted the E Bay seller and he still has 1 copy left I can buy.
So there will be more and more around, Like I said $50 and getting cheaper.

#38 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:36 PM

i guess well just have to wait and see if the amount of xu1s for sale on ebay increases!

time will tell...

A1

#39 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:50 PM

I support what Dangerous is saying. I would like to see the information readily available through the various Torana clubs but would not support it being available on a public forum. Not because I think there is a major conspiracy theory of people wanting to try and make replicas but because the clubs offer better advice in general and therefore protection. I also think that it is the clubs that are going to ultimately provide the best opportunity to ensure the preservation and promotion of the Torana. It is great to interact with others on a public forum but, I am often disappointed by the level of commitment made at a club level in some states. If we harbour a fear of others using the info for criminal activities then we might as well support the banning of all high performance cars encase someone buys one and breaks the traffic laws.

#40 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:16 PM

limo , your offer of a 100 dollars i can not accept as the cost has now been shared amongst 4 other forum members but i,m happy to pass a c.d your way if you donate the 100 to the forum site , however if the admin and mods agree you can use the c.d to list as a sticky , maybe a poll , some may agree , some may not .. ???

i think dangerous is right a big help for a buyer and could save time or possibly save the buyer from missing out on a geniune car due to time delay in getting verification .

also those that contacted me , i,m not sure if you got my response as my pm
send messages had errors when i returned payment details , if you didn,t receive try shaunatwide.net.au (replace at with @)

thanks

#41 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:30 PM

id support the information being readily available to all. As previously said it takes alot more to make a passable fake then these numbers. Wasnt all this info flogged from holden/gmh ages ago?? if so isnt this whole selling thing illegal? anyways id be willing to buy a copy off one of the members who bought one off 830hp for say 15-20 bucks the chain goes on and id sell it to people for 10 bucks or 5 bucks, then it could be a "supply a disk" thing i mean thats an option rather then a "public" listing.
CHEERS Chris :rockon:

#42 _bones_

_bones_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:08 PM

As the price comes down, count me in for a $10 copy.
Bones.

#43 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:23 PM

Shaun.
Did you get my email or PM?
Rory

#44 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:26 PM

The more of us that have the numbers, the more we weed out the fakes I reckon...good fakes will always get through..look at AMC site for current XU1s..Give one to all I say.Plus if we can take the load of Ben and Millisa..more the better. I agree with Shaun...If I trip over an XU1, I want to verify it in minutes...not days...not bagging anyone here but money talks and if you hesitate it walks..
R

Edited by rorym, 24 July 2006 - 07:31 PM.

#45 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:32 PM

Ben? Dont you mean Peter? :)

#46 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

fair enough.. but i ask this, why has it never been made available to everyone before?
Peter or millisa could have given it out at anytime.

I do agree though, it will most likely do more good than harm. Just still a bit sus on the guy selling though.

A1

#47 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:48 PM

First of all I have the same question as Rory....Shaun did you get my PM??- I assume not but as it had the same hiccup as the double postings I thought it would go through!

draglc- the info hasn't been readily available before as it was originally on microfiche. Not that user friendly if you haven't got the specialized equipment to reproduce it. Up until recently it was probably only possible to duplicate the info in the form of another microfilm. How many people have suitable viewers tucked away in their garages. Or print off each entry.. and as Shaun said 1600 pages (the Melb telephone book is about 1900 pages as a comparison!)

The ebay CD. At 1600 good quality pages someone has possibly spent a lot of time copying them or paid a decent amount of money to have it done. (I still remember only a few years ago having a 1920's slide film- 76 slides- put onto dvd. It cost quite a few hundred dollars- 1600 slides and I would have had to sell the house!) So 8 copies @ $250 may only be recouping costs, I don't know? If they continue to appear at that price, then maybe it's a rip off. You may think 40 copies @ $50 would have been a better way to go but as we have already seen copies soon multiply like rabbits and even $50 copies are soon under cut. A few quick sales were probably the only way of recouping costs- if that's what he was doing.

The info.
Personally I don't see a problem with the details being released. As those who know what details are recorded have already said- it is only used in the initial stages of identification- literally... is it a 2 door...... what does the VIN tag say. After that there are a multitude of questions/observations to be asked & made.
And remember it is only the 82911 tags that you need the details for- the 8D11 tags answer their own questions(except eng #'s).

It is unfair for a few to be on call 24/7 to verify numbers for all sorts of vehicles. If everone had that basic info available and knew to check the ADR tag with the chassis #, then 'those in the know' would get less requests and more possible genuine cars to do a full investigation on.

Well that's more than my 20 cents worth.....probably about a buck fifty! :rolleyes:

jpxu1 :D

#48 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:26 PM

cool..cool, im just asking the questions that i think need to be asked.
that said, i wouldnt mind a copy also :)

A1

#49 _a9xhatchback_

_a9xhatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

You are breaking every copyright rule in the book & publishiig that you have bought them here on the forum!!!!
I'm glad i'm not on the market for a genuine fake XU1!!!!
That's my 2 cents worth!

#50 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:37 PM

If the copyright police were looking for anyone you would think they would begin with the bloke who's making ca$h out of on EBay :tease:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users