1102 replies to this topic

#126 SS hatch

SS hatch

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:15 PM

Nice job Slar especially for 4door.  livo are you still able to get nuts on with the cut very close to bolt hole two top jobbies Mines a hatch but there still a pain unless you get the captive type nut Im just thinking the angle of inner guard might interfere 

#127 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:16 PM

Damn you do nice gaps AL!

How many times have you seen a Torana flare that looks like it was fitted after a long night on the piss?

I reckon you need to take a few steps back and consider the shape of the flare as a whole first, and worry about getting the gap straight after, even if it means cutting and re-glassing.

#128 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:45 PM

howdy ss,

haven't used the proper bolts, just self tappers with a smaller thread so can move this way or that when final fitting.

but the mould has this recess in it for something?

zIMAG1790.jpg

was gonna use it for a recessed/hidden bolt (or screw.small anyways.) 

think just hold firm with one from behind like andrew said

cutting and re-glassing andy! add another (huge) job why don't ya! ;)

Edited by livo74, 07 February 2015 - 10:45 PM.

#129 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:26 PM

Yeah... that is a weird half-ass little divot, looks like it's designed to countersink the head of a self tapper, definitely not a full-sized flare bolt?

I don't mind fibreglassing if it's a big job but it's a PITA if you just have to do little bits here 'n there, it's bloody messy too once you start filing and sanding and reshaping things, that fine dust gets into everything and it's itchy as hell!

Edited by Bigfella237, 07 February 2015 - 11:26 PM.

#130 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:01 AM

i know right, that's what i was thinking. little self tap and cover over.

and you can keep your enjoyment of fibreglassing. had nothing but hard time with it myself!

#131 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:24 AM

I would just cover it over, if it not needed & not put a screw in it.

If you ever have to remove the flare. It will be a pain in the ass.

Trying to dig it out to get it off.

How do you paint it when it's screwed on the door ?

Victor

#132 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:11 AM

food for thought victor, cheers

waiting till do final fitting to see how secure, and if feel don't like will just do as andrew said and hold from behind. easy fix

#133 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:40 AM

post mark:

you'll have to forgive me al, am a innocent and good natured.

has been pointed out that you were trying to have a pissing contest..

why else would you go and wait till people, who are not 'fitters and turners' by trade like you, (and have stated as such)

post there images of there flare cut method, and THEN post yours on their build thread, and say ONLY..

without a hello or hi,

"This is how I done mine.

Nice and tidy and has enough clearance for me".

am too innocent and think the best of people so i didn't pick up on it.

am very fkn happy with my first time working with sheet metal job,

as can clearly see i have only used cutting disc, and haven't rounded off AT ALL with grinding disc.

and i think it's bloody neat.

if you don't, keep it to yor fking self please champ.

zIMAG1784.jpg

#134 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:47 AM

am off to lang lang show'n'shine,

will post some pics of cars have been drooling over!

#135 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:48 AM

post mark:

~

i think it's bloody neat.

I don't know AL personally but I didn't get that impression Mat? Although I quite often have trouble on forums myself trying to figure out whether someone's taking the piss or not.

I thought AL's photos were helpful even if they were a little late, but not everyone checks the forums every day, I really should be out in the shed myself instead of sitting here on my ass watching the Bathurst 12 Hour!

alcool22.gif

Enjoy the show'n'shine, I bet there'll be some nice cars there too!

#136 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

post mark:

why else would you go and wait till people, who are not 'fitters and turners' by trade like you, (and have stated as such)

post there images of there flare cut method, and THEN post yours on their build thread, and say ONLY..

without a hello or hi,

"This is how I done mine.

Nice and tidy and has enough clearance for me".

am too innocent and think the best of people so i didn't pick up on it.

am very fkn happy with my first time working with sheet metal job,

as can clearly see i have only used cutting disc, and haven't rounded off AT ALL with grinding disc.

and i think it's bloody neat.

Settle down Livo, Al is nothing but a big help on these forums and I am sure he didn't mean it the way you have taken it. He was offering the way he did it for you to chew on.

One great thing about this forum is there is very little in the way of pissing contests, though your response has taken things to another level, to be honest. 

#137 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:38 AM

I don't know AL personally but I didn't get that impression Mat? Although I quite often have trouble on forums myself trying to figure out whether someone's taking the piss or not.

I have been guilty of this as well. You certainly don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth in here. (Nice job Al by the way.)

Keep an eye on your panel gaps too Mark. I know they are only mounted loosely, but once you are mounting them permanently keep the gap the same at the flare. Cheers.
Attached File  zIMAG1788.jpg   110.63K   10 downloads

#138 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

I think Al was trying to help you to
there is no pissing contests on this forum thats whats so good about this place just keep going forward Mat
settle down tiger

#139 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

he was unfortunately, andy

regardless, sadly internet can be a mine field can't it!

and think will be forgiven sitting watching drinkin.. for a few hours today ;) shed later

post pics here :)

http://www.gmh-toran...e-today-822015/

zIMAG1796.jpg

Edited by livo74, 08 February 2015 - 10:55 AM.

#140 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

sorry sam, i disagree.

"offering the way he did it for you to chew on."

what, chop off a hole 1/4 and weld back on and do it his way? don't think so, nor that's what he meant.

honestly, have NO interest in taking things to any level. sorry if seems did k :)

#141 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:05 AM

I have been guilty of this as well. You certainly don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth in here. (Nice job Al by the way.)

Keep an eye on your panel gaps too Mark. I know they are only mounted loosely, but once you are mounting them permanently keep the gap the same at the flare. Cheers.
attachicon.gifzIMAG1788.jpg

i'll be very lucky if even closely resembles original setting, but took photos for reference and am going to try!

(after ground down and strip welded running underneath i imagine i wont get it exactly the same. ??)

I think Al was trying to help you to
there is no pissing contests on this forum thats whats so good about this place just keep going forward Mat
settle down tiger

cheers ice, will do ;)

Edited by livo74, 08 February 2015 - 11:04 AM.

#142 SS hatch

SS hatch

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:01 PM

So your using self tappers for first install and setup. I'm sure you will need 1/4 cap heads for final fixing you don't want it rattling off down the road .I'm just thinking by the photos it might be tight for a nut to screw on between outer and inner. Defiantly keep the flares removable for further work mine have been off and on many times over the years /cracks/ resprays /broken. If there's a slight dimple in all the recesses it would be center for pilot drilling.

#143 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:07 PM

So your using self tappers for first install and setup. I'm sure you will need 1/4 cap heads for final fixing you don't want it rattling off down the road .I'm just thinking by the photos it might be tight for a nut to screw on between outer and inner. Defiantly keep the flares removable for further work mine have been off and on many times over the years /cracks/ resprays /broken. If there's a slight dimple in all the recesses it would be center for pilot drilling.

hoping to buy proper flare install kit with correct heads you mention.

far far away from that step obviously.. unfortunately!

(haven't had/installed flares before)

in hindsight, quite silly of me for thinking to not have easily removable flares

will make sure i do

#144 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:57 PM

Hot tip time: NEVER buy the flare fitting kit unless you like being ripped off. You can go to a nut & bolt shop and buy the bolts for next to nothing. The piping is available seperately

#145 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:29 PM

hahaha!

so.. those kits ive previously searched on ebay for mega dollars i could of sworn i could by from bunnings for twenty bucks ARE NOT a good idea..??

thanks daz :)

checked "completed listings" and some people ARE buying them.

just helping me ensure am not one of them

#146 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:05 PM

nearly did the whole lot and said "no rust"

..and then rust! of course. (bottom right)

zIMAG1846.jpg

zIMAG1847.jpg

will buy converter and "weld-through etch primer" this week (cheers for heads up bigfella and smacT)

and will weld.. gosh knows when. a while at least.

#147 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:Rusty the Torana......Nearly complete
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:24 PM

Mmmm interesting that Ive created such a shit storm of criticism.

Just for your reference Mat......I was trying to help you out buddy but since you've been so suspicious of my intent and voicing it on the forum and telling me to pull my fkn head in.....I reckon you'll definantly get no more help from me and maybe some others may feel the same.

I joined this forum  initially to get help with my project and check out others work as well......I may be a fitter by trade but that doesn't automatically allow me to know everything I need to know about restoring a car. I have taken a lot of info from here and used it myself.

As mention by another member...we don't look at the forum every night so yes I missed your very first posts on how to go about cutting your guards so I thought you might appreciate a few pics of how it might look when your finished and then you asked me for flare position pics so I posted one for you and then you treat me like im having a go at you.

Also tell whoever suggested that I might be taking the piss out of you that they should private message me if they have a problem.

The only thing any of this has achieved is I wont be checking out this forum much any more or posting any more updates on my project so I guess we all lose.... ay mate

I came here to be with fellow torry owners with common interests but by your comments, more than one of you seem to think Im trying to be a smart arse....I don't need this and I wont have it.... so cheerio to all that appreciate other members trying to help and the rest of you can go frOck yourselves

Have a nice forum

Al

#148 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:00 AM

Bloody sad when this shite happenes. Not so clear what the intent is on social media until it all blows up.

regards.

#149 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:47 AM

Bloody sad when this shite happenes. Not so clear what the intent is on social media until it all blows up.

regards.

:iagree:

But it seems to go a bit further than unclear intent, there appears to be an as yet undisclosed third-party here who is shit-stirring?

I understand why you're upset AL but I sincerely hope you'll reconsider? You do great work and your "Rusty LX" project (although we shouldn't really call it that any more) is just getting to the good part, I especially like how you've been doing progress videos too, there's so few Torana videos around and I'm hanging out to see the test drive in living colour and stereo sound!

Anyway, I certainly understand your position but I for one would be sad to see you leave and hope you'll take some time to rethink your decision.

#150 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:36 AM

Well that is quite unfortunate. Cool off.

Work on the car looks good Mat. Work on your car Al is also darn good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users