wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:29 PM

Until recently I worked for the public service, and union membership was not compulsory.

Four Horsemen is a great movie. Its been around for a couple of years now.

Everybody really should watch it. 

#77 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:04 PM

Thank You Wot.............  I thought I must have been the only one...  cheers mate  :)

#78 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

have faith my son...I'm watching it tomorrow

#79 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:47 PM

I would watch it, but i am hooked on breaking bad and have 30 odd hours left to view.... Its next in line...

#80 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

Did we all have a happy Labour day in Vic? You know..........8hrs work, 8hours play, 8 hours sleep?

Means shit these days...........................................................

#81 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:42 PM

Daz, thanks for putting up the original link.
I enjoyed the whole thing and am happy Ricky seems like a regular guy

Gives me a little hope

Cheers, Tom

#82 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:42 PM

Didnt say that union membership was compulsory in all the public service.

Things may have changed, but certain areas you did not have to be a union member

But the union held the registry or right to work segment.

Didnt have to be a member to get the right o work but it was cheaper to join the union.

Guess no one classifies union ads on TV as supporting Labor.

Therefore not included in donations.

#83 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

The ones I saw recently attacked the Government but didn't advertise Labor. I suppose then they can be full of errors and untruths and there is no accountability? And vice versa if the opposite was to happen?

#84 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:11 AM

Rob you have a very negative opinion of unions, fair enough....   but what most people who grew up in an era,  when some off these conditions became available to workers,  as a result of the Unions & their members...  you can speak from your own perspective on how unions have affected you adversely, but that is the old me-me coming out, where all I care about is now and me, Union's and their members fought and lost wages for the conditions you and me still enjoy now..  so you have stated your opinion, I get where you are coming from..... but while your spitting in the face of the Unions, try and remember what they fought for and won, for all workers Non- Union & Union members...  

Australia[edit]

Supporters of Unions, such as the ACTU or Australian Labor Party (ALP), often credit trade unions with leading the labour movement in the early 20th century. This generally sought to end child labor practices, improve worker safety, increase wages for both union workers and non-union workers, raise the entire society's standard of living, reduce the hours in a work week, provide public education for children, and bring other benefits to working-class families.[51

#85 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

Doubt anyone would say the unions have never done a thing.

The last 15 years though, they have only made things worse.

If they were still run for members I wouldn't have an issue with them. The simple fact that they are run to suit the high execs alone is what has ruined them.

#86 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

Ian

Unions were a good thing in their day.

But they have had their day now.

Unless they revamp into something that workers want, their membership will continue to decline.

Workers have already shown how much they think unions are worth by leaving in droves.

I watched unions operate from my time as an apprentice.

It was compulsory to be a member at my workplace unless you were an apprentice.

I watched shift votes for strike action.

My only conclusion was that the union man could not count.

Regardless of the hands shown, a strike always went ahead.

And more often than not the hands actually showed a different result.

I had need of the union during my apprenticeship.

Was told I would have representation.

They couldnt be bothered to turn up.

After my apprenticeship I left the industry but still kept in touch with it.

The union negotiated to put a stall on wage rises.

The union negotiated that the working week could be extended compulsorily.

Now as a tradesman, because of unions, a labourer earns the same money as a tradesman.

In many cases a labourer who has done a 1 week course earns more money than a tradesman.

Yes unions have done a great job. sarcasm intended.

#87 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:40 AM

I have no doubt Unions have their place, have done great things in the past and continue to do some things good. But one easy example to explain - their place isn't actively trying to get contractors kicked off a work site who were bought on to either supplement labour or to perform capital works, especially when the contractors are members of the same Union as the onsite employees. Work that happens on an employer's premises is their work, not the work of the employees. I get it is different if people are sacked and then contractors replace them, then some questions need to be asked.

#88 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:09 AM

Chaos.....watched the 4 Horsemen.

Quite interesting and depressing in equal amounts I reckon.

Put into words what a lot of people are probably thinking..just below the surface.

The solution ?...now that's a difficult one, as whoever pops up as leading a change will be mercilessly attacked by the very machine they are fighting. Its a big machine.

#89 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

Let me guess, you were an Electrical Apprentice right....... ??

your still speaking about how it affected you......  I to required the assistance of the Union over an unfair dismisle, and guess what, they could do nothing to help me either, but I don't blame the Union, because in truth, they could have had me reinstated, but the company would just use another dodgy excuse to get rid of me.  But the Union did force my employer to write me a good reference, which he did.  And before you go starting to thing I probably deserved it, well maybe I did, maybe I didn't, but the only thing i did was have a disagreement with the big boss, nothing to do with my work...... anyway needless to say, 6 moths later the Big Bosses were sacked for miss management of the company, I was put put back on by the new boss......  so yes the Union can't help every body, and they are far from perfect..  

And I must say, in my time of working in shops that were Unionized, not one of them was Compulsory, sure they frowned on you for not joining, and even applied a certain amount of pressure to join, but that was because men were paying union dues, to help support the Union & other workers,  and you get these tight arses (and I say this, because most people I meet that don't want to be in a Union, do so because of the fee's, & not because they are doing nothing, or stiffling business)  but these same tight arses were real quick to put their scabby little hands out to accept what the Unions and their members had fought for and paid for.......  

The truth is Union's don't have much power now day's, there power was stripped away by Governments,  under orders from big business ..  Workers cannot call a strike no more, unless they give the employer 72 hours notice.  to apply for a new EBA, you have to bargain in good faith, yet the Company can give you an offer, "Take It Or Leave It" ..... 

When someone is killed on the job site, who makes sure it won't happen again...  certainly not Workcover, they have never prosecuted (sent to gaol) any boss for the death of an employee.  only on the news last night, they were talking about preventable deaths in the workplace..  it was promoted by Unions, not Business groups, or lobbies....

Personally I don't care for the whole Union is to blame for this and that, sure there is some truth to that statement, but that is like winging about the Green Grocer selling fruit with grubs in them, without ever considering that the farmer had a part in it as well ....   But Labor, liberal and Big Business (Banks) are what have brought this country almost to the brink....   The whole "Greed is Good" mentality is frOcking this and many other countries around the world..   anyone who thinks life is better now is on some mighty good drugs....  There is no Job Security, Our kids have no frOcking chance of buying a house, The rich are getting richer, and helping less....   anyway, I am sick of this Union stuff, it is totally irrelevant to what is happening today, it may have been the unions fault back in the 60's, 70's and 80's, but not now.....  

#90 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

Chaos.....watched the 4 Horsemen.

Quite interesting and depressing in equal amounts I reckon.

Put into words what a lot of people are probably thinking..just below the surface.

The solution ?...now that's a difficult one, as whoever pops up as leading a change will be mercilessly attacked by the very machine they are fighting. Its a big machine.

Thanks Col, yeah I didn't know whether to be depressed or uplifted, the bubble must burst one day, and they have just about exhausted their ripoff ways..  people are on to them, and eventually the people will demand that Governments govern for the people, and not for big business..   As old mate in the documentary said, " If you could print your way out off debt, Simbabwe would be the richest country in the world"   and if anyone is in any doubt who runs the World, of all the money in circulation today, 97% of it is dept...........  how long before it reaches 100% ....  ???

#91 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

I have no doubt Unions have their place, have done great things in the past and continue to do some things good. But one easy example to explain - their place isn't actively trying to get contractors kicked off a work site who were bought on to either supplement labour or to perform capital works, especially when the contractors are members of the same Union as the onsite employees. Work that happens on an employer's premises is their work, not the work of the employees. I get it is different if people are sacked and then contractors replace them, then some questions need to be asked.

Yel I can only give the reasons I know.....  Union's want workers to be put on as permanents after 3 months, there whole idea is to have as many workers in full time work as they can, compared to temporary workforce's that the bosses like....  when I was young, companies tried to hold on to their skilled labour, through the good times and the bad, it was the normal ebb & flow of doing business, bringing contractors onto a site, even if they were union members, generally ment to a lowering of conditions..  ie. contractors would work for no penalties, they had their own workers comp, and could be dismissed with an hours notice..  I am not saying there right, it was just the way they tried to save permanent jobs... and as you all know now, temporary jobs are the best you can get now...  Oh well..

#92 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:06 PM

I would watch it, but i am hooked on breaking bad and have 30 odd hours left to view.... Its next in line...

Adam, you are a smart cookie, i'm sure of that, clever i'm not so sure of....  lol.  but I know you will get this, as maths should be your strong point...  The woman at the 53 minute mark, of the debate about the documentary on The Four Horsemen,  pretty much sums up what is wrong with the World economy today..  How we came to this point is explained in the documentary.    Breaking Bad.... really,  :blink:

53 minute mark.. OK, only goes for 1:45 seconds...  

Edited by ChaosWeaver, 10 March 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#93 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:28 PM

Yel I can only give the reasons I know.....  Union's want workers to be put on as permanents after 3 months, there whole idea is to have as many workers in full time work as they can, compared to temporary workforce's that the bosses like....  when I was young, companies tried to hold on to their skilled labour, through the good times and the bad, it was the normal ebb & flow of doing business, bringing contractors onto a site, even if they were union members, generally ment to a lowering of conditions..  ie. contractors would work for no penalties, they had their own workers comp, and could be dismissed with an hours notice..  I am not saying there right, it was just the way they tried to save permanent jobs... and as you all know now, temporary jobs are the best you can get now...  Oh well..

I get that point, but it wasn't ever that, it was idiocy and stupidity - Contractors were permanent Employees of another organisation. Same stupidity to cry "Union" when the employer implements drug testing and the employees can no longer take drugs or they'll be out of a job. I'll tell you more one day, not in public!

Edited by yel327, 10 March 2015 - 01:29 PM.

#94 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:08 PM

Yel, I was a part of a board that brought drug testing into our organisation, and the Union was the first to jump on board....    but seriously, the biggest hurdle to small business is big business, there the ones that have run the small operator out of business, they make it almost impossible to trade, how many small hardware joints have unions put out of business, how many have Bunnings done it to, try running a corner shop nowdays, with supermarkets selling milk for a dollar a litre, or bread for a dollar, and  the list goes on....   Unions have never gone out of their way close any business down, in fact, I have been at meeting where the Union agreed with the Management not to seek a wage increase for 3 years because they were doing it tough.  And do you no what happened after 3 years and the company was making great money.  we went for a pay deal that took into concideration that we had gone without a pay increase for the previous 3 years, to which they said, "To Bad", all we were getting was the usual 4-6% indexed over 3 years....   That shows the Morals of Management & Business owners right there...   The Unions may have chased a decent wage for their members, they may have chased safer working conditions, some business owners would rather close down, than pay their worker's what they are entitled to, just look at the debate on Penalty Rates going on, with many Restaurant owners threatening to close up, rather than pay penalty rates for weekends.    I would say, expecting to pay people (mainly kids, our kids) penalty rates, would have been part of your business plan, if your business is open weekends and nights....   but what do you expect from a society obsessed with profits over wellbeing ...    

There is gonna be a lot of drunk jibbering at Toranafest......  that's 4 sure..   :spoton:  

#95 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

wot179

Thought you may have been a member of Teachers Federation or TAFE equivalent.

One example of union being ridiculous.

Bloke I know operated 4 special machines.

He employed about 12 operators on a casual basis

Needed to be that way because of the nature of the business.

Sometimes his operators sat around doing nothing for a few hours while he paid them.

Union comes along and insisted he employ another person for cleaning the machines

Union stated it wasnt the job of the operator to do the cleaning.

Owner said I pay them enough to sit around doing nothing that they should be doing their own cleaning because it was to the operators advantage to have the machine cleaned to his own satisfaction. Task was less than an hour to do.

Union gave him 72 hours to comply or there would be trouble.

Union bloke came back 72 hours later wanting to know if the problem had been solved.

Owner said it certainly was.

Union bloke wanted to meet the new employee to sign him up.

Owner said no new employees. Sold all but one of the machines and told the operators no more work for them.

#96 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

Yes, Im a member of the teachers fed (even though I am currently not teaching). I pay no fees while not drawing a paycheck.

They have zero clout when it comes to anybody keeping their jobs.

But Im happy to be a member if for no other reason than they support teachers in legal confrontations with students.

This happens more often than you might think.

If a teacher gets sued, they are on their own without unions.

Its often not the dept that get sued, its the individual.

#97 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

Ah. Teachers Federation is a union by another name.

Can a non member of the Federation teach?

Think it was the Nurses Association that held the power of employment.

You couldnt work without some ticket and they supplied it.

#98 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:04 PM

Yes a non member can teach, at least at TAFE. Dunno about else ware.

I worked with a number of non members.

#99 _ljxu1torana_

_ljxu1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

here rob what about these ones,Imposes $900 tax on new homes connecting to the nbn breaking election promises on taxes 11-12-14.Delays superannuation increases for 7 years costing workers thousands of dollars in retirement in savings 2-9-15

#100 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

There will not be a Carbon Tax under the government I lead.

Words to that effect.

By Ronald McDonald. Or Labors version thereof.

How long did it take and what was the coat to the economy of the country?

Oh and apart from the super, which is a huge problem for struggling businesses, are the others actually in?

Or are they still just thoughts.

Unions push about electricity prices.

Vic is privatised and cheaper.

They just wont show the full truth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users