#551 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Name:anthony

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:01 PM

Byron or Dr Terry,Do you have a photo or some proof of a late HG commercial with a AHG chassis and a GL block.i have looked at three late one,s all have HG not AHG chassis and low QL blocks fact or fiction.

Cheers 

#552 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

There is info in the HG docos somewhere Anthony and there are Engineering drawings showing the different items for fitment of 173 and 202 engines, but it is simply how it was. HG and LC ran past HQ engine introduction and as a result they both got HQ engines albeit with C and G prefixes due to the different sumps. Both LC and HG got ALC and AHG chassis numbers, I've seen plenty of them. I have ID plates here in front of me off a 7/71 HG commercial and it has AHG4xxxxM as a chassis number - this one was a 173 IIRC. 

#553 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:23 PM

yel327

So was the Yellow 350/Z Monaro the Old Man Emu, shame the Tender Sheet does not list its PSN number, maybe the ID Tag has Show Car on it, as the Tender Sheet says Show Car.

AL

#554 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

Yes, the photos of the metallic car as a HQ Old Man Emu is the 350Z prior to the 350Z treatment. Look at them side by side an it is obvious. I'm pretty sure we have worked out which car it is so we know its original PSN.

#555 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:55 PM

Cool if you have worked out its PSN, just hope it has survived the ravishes of time and is still around.

AL

#556 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:16 PM

There is info in the HG docos somewhere Anthony and there are Engineering drawings showing the different items for fitment of 173 and 202 engines, but it is simply how it was. HG and LC ran past HQ engine introduction and as a result they both got HQ engines albeit with C and G prefixes due to the different sumps. Both LC and HG got ALC and AHG chassis numbers, I've seen plenty of them. I have ID plates here in front of me off a 7/71 HG commercial and it has AHG4xxxxM as a chassis number - this one was a 173 IIRC. 

It is possible some Dealers upgraded some pre 7/71 HG commercials with QL202 engines just to get rid of them off their showroom

floor.

Just a thought.

Edited by S pack, 01 September 2015 - 07:17 PM.

#557 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:13 PM

Where would the QL 202's have come from though? You couldn't buy them through Nasco - these would be NL prefix. They would have had to have come from production cars and at that time period a HQ was a brand new car and had only been on sale from 23rd July. Prior to 11/71 a HG commercial was a current vehicle and there would be cars in plant stock to sell, dealers wouldn't be trying to get rid of them other than the normal sales process. There must be a reason for it but all I can think of is GMH themselves but in HQ engines in their own internal use vehicles to replace failed or flogged out 161 or 186's. This was a reasonably normal process and often happened if the internal use vehicles were in good nick but had lots of kM or the engine in them was not for general consumption. The new engine made them more saleable too. The Max Wilson gold HQ GTS350 in the same tender as the orange V8 LJ had its SBC removed and a HJ 308 put in it prior to that tender.

Edited by yel327, 01 September 2015 - 08:20 PM.

#558 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:28 PM

Where would the QL 202's have come from though? You couldn't buy them through Nasco - these would be NL prefix. They would have had to have come from production cars and at that time period a HQ was a brand new car and had only been on sale from 23rd July. Prior to 11/71 a HG commercial was a current vehicle and there would be cars in plant stock to sell, dealers wouldn't be trying to get rid of them other than the normal sales process. 

Current production engine assembles were available on a firm order basis. So, complete QL202 engines could be ordered.

Could explain a pre AHG prefix chassis having an early QL engine, esp if the log book says the vehicle was sold new with the QL in it.

#559 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:52 PM

Given that the fact the HQ/HJ/HX/HZ series were the biggest selling series of any car on the Aussie market (over 900,000 sold) & that the 202 was by far the most commonly fitted engine in HQ, the exchange engine market would've been knee-deep in these these things in the late 70s & early 80s.

There are huge numbers of HK/HT/HGs running around with 202s under the bonnet without the driver even knowing.

Dr Terry

#560 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:02 PM

Granted there are lots of old Holdens that were built before the 202 was thought of that now have one residing in the engine bay however the late 70's and 80's exchange engine market does not explain a 6/71 HG utility that was sold by a Holden Dealer as a new vehicle in January 1972 with an early QL engine under the bonnet.

#561 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:57 AM

Granted there are lots of old Holdens that were built before the 202 was thought of that now have one residing in the engine bay however the late 70's and 80's exchange engine market does not explain a 6/71 HG utility that was sold by a Holden Dealer as a new vehicle in January 1972 with an early QL engine under the bonnet.

If it was sold new with a QL engine, then somewhere between the engine plant & the dealership it has had an engine/block swap.

The only real differences between the GL & QL engines is the carby linkage (on the carb), the front thermostat housing & the sump & oil pick-up.

All of these are easy to swap, but where was it done ? I couldn't imagine the engine plant incorrectly stamping a GL block as a a QL, or even worse a 186P as a QL.

As another poster has mentioned, a 7/71 ute not sold new until 1/72 is a long time gap, given the popularity of ute in those days.

Dr Terry

#562 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:29 AM

Current production engine assembles were available on a firm order basis. So, complete QL202 engines could be ordered.

Could explain a pre AHG prefix chassis having an early QL engine, esp if the log book says the vehicle was sold new with the QL in it.

They wouldn't be QL though Dave, they'd be NL as they'd be bought through Nasco. The books probably were for an internal GMH car.

#563 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

They wouldn't be QL though Dave, they'd be NL as they'd be bought through Nasco. The books probably were for an internal GMH car.

I'll disagree Byron.

My understanding is 'Current production engine assemblies' were the same as used on the assembly line. Yes they were sold through NASCO but they were not N prefix engines.

#564 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:17 AM

I don't think that is the case Dave. Might be right but would be unusual.

#565 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:37 PM

F or F

the HB torana was introduced in 1966 to replace the HA series vauxhall viva??

#566 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:49 PM

I'm going to say fact but I get the feeling it's a trick question lol

#567 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:55 PM

Ficton.

The HB Torana was released in 1967.

#568 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

^^^^^ Correct.

Media release date was 21 May 1967.

Dr Terry

#569 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:35 PM

correct 67 was its release date.

#570 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:48 AM

Ex factory, Holden red 6 forged crankshafts were fitted with torsional dampers and the red 6 nodular iron crankshafts were fitted with harmonic balancers.

Fact or Ficton

#571 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

Just thought of another. Large Salisbury rear axles as fitted to HQ to WB, VB-VK and LX A9X.

Commercial and Passenger variants use the same axle tube material. 

Fact or Fiction?

#572 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

Ex factory, Holden red 6 forged crankshafts were fitted with torsional dampers and the red 6 nodular iron crankshafts were fitted with harmonic balancers.

Fact or Ficton

I thought a Harmonic Balancer was a form of Tortional Damper?

Having said that I have noticed that Chevrolet SB engines with forged cranshafts have a far smaller front "balancer" than those with cast crankshafts. Maybe this is due to the first tortional frequency of the forged cranshaft being a far different frequency to the cast ones? 

#573 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:23 PM

Just thought of another. Large Salisbury rear axles as fitted to HQ to WB, VB-VK and LX A9X.

Commercial and Passenger variants use the same axle tube material. 

Fact or Fiction?

I'll say ficton.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the 1 Tonner Salisbury axle housing tubes are made from heavier grade steel tube.

Edited by S pack, 06 September 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#574 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:34 PM

I'll say ficton.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the 1 Tonner Salisbury axle housing tubes are made from heavier grade steel tube.

Correct, except all commercial large Sals housings use thicker tube, not just tonners.

#575 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:44 PM

Fact or Ficton

I thought a Harmonic Balancer was a form of Tortional Damper?

Having said that I have noticed that Chevrolet SB engines with forged cranshafts have a far smaller front "balancer" than those with cast crankshafts. Maybe this is due to the first tortional frequency of the forged cranshaft being a far different frequency to the cast ones? 

Ficton.

Ex factory, Holden red 6 forged crankshafts were fitted with Harmonic Balancers and the red 6 nodular iron crankshafts were fitted with Torsional Dampers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users