Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:21 PM

I know what you mean about the gold and 5000 decals

800px-Holden_Torana_LX_SLR_5000_%282%29.

To give you an idea, here's one in Sunburst Gold; looks like it's had front end damage, no blackout or badges on front apron and missing a spoiler.

Flares have been put on without continuing the blackout theme; which isn't uncommon actually.

s

#77 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

To give you an idea, here's one in Sunburst Gold; looks like it's had front end damage, no blackout or badges on front apron and missing a spoiler.

Flares have been put on without continuing the blackout theme; which isn't uncommon actually.

s

Yeah, I am planning to continue the blackout theme on the flares front spoiler and rear, these gold cars look good but I don't think I am game enough to go away from the green. All the black on the car I am planning on doing a satin black instead of gloss, I don't know what people think of this idea but I think that's how they come out of the factory.

#78 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:25 PM

After i decided i didn't need to strip the car back to bare metal, the first big job i had to battle was cutting out the rear quarters and rear doors for the flares. The front guards were already done even though i had to tidy them up a bit, but the previous owner drilled the holes for the rear flares but stopped there. After looking on this site and talking to a mate who had done it before i decided to cut the outer panel higher than the inner panel and fold it up to meet. I know there is some great info on this job on this site but i am going to go over how i did it anyway.  

Attached Files

#79 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:31 PM

The picture of the offcuts is in order of how i cut it out, the furthest left is the first cut, the next one is to bring the outer guard higher than the inner and the last one is for the door area.

#80 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:17 PM

With a bit of a touch up with the grinder.

Attached Files

• Attached File  004.JPG   80.81K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  005.JPG   80.38K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  006.JPG   76.61K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  007.JPG   83.83K   2 downloads

#81 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:24 PM

Neat.

#82 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:26 PM

And then a bit of filler and epoxy primer.

Attached Files

• Attached File  008.JPG   84.88K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  009.JPG   106.8K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  010.JPG   100.24K   1 downloads

#83 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:35 PM

On the inside of the wheel wells i used epoxy primer and then sprayed it with body deadener to tidy it up, that's how i did it anyway, i know its solid and sealed, next onto the doors.

#84 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:45 PM

Neat.

Thanks Bomber, this site is invaluable for these jobs that you haven't tackled before, you have ideas but it is good to see it in front of you. 

#85 GMH-01X

GMH-01X

Drive Fast Take Chances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:1977 Hatchback

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:53 AM

Nice work Mox,
Invaluable + 1 - I've found this site so helpful on so much info.

Az

#86 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:30 AM

Nice work Mox,
Invaluable + 1 - I've found this site so helpful on so much info.

Az

Good site keeping the good old aussie Torana alive, its easy to loose focus restoring a old car, but i think sites like this give you the info and push to keep going.

#87 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

When i cut the rear doors for the flares i did the opposite to the quarters, i cut the outer panel longer than the inner panel and folded the outer panel to meet. The top piece is the first cut and the lower piece is the second cut.

Attached Files

• Attached File  024.JPG   112.12K   1 downloads

#88 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:33 PM

As you can see when i mark out the section to be cut i cut right near a factory spot weld to keep strength, i forgot to mention that on the quarters which i did the same. At the end of the cut near the front there was a little section that the fold could not cover so i put a couple of small nicks with my small cutting wheel and taped it flat so it could be welded 

Attached Files

#89 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:37 PM

Welding and grinding

Attached Files

#90 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:47 PM

Filling and finishing and epoxy priming

Attached Files

#91 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:56 AM

^ good work!!

5f%2010_zpswlpa3sep.jpg

This green A9X (or clone) looks like it has a satin bonnet; it looks killer.

I'm sure my bonnet's done in satin too and I've never really noticed it being hard to keep clean; mine's a daily driver so it's not like I'm trying to win trophies. lol

Yeah sure, if you run your finger across it; it'll leave behind a mark, I do recall my friends leaving messages on my spoiler and bonnet but it'd usually be after a bit of dust build up.

If you take your car out once a week and wash it regularly I don't see it as being a nuisance. I guess you have to see one in the flesh, open the bonnet and see if you can live with the finger marks but even gloss black is notorious for being hard to maintain. I recall the expression, 'my car isn't black, it's a full time job.'

s

#92 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:24 AM

^ good work!!

This green A9X (or clone) looks like it has a satin bonnet; it looks killer.

I'm sure my bonnet's done in satin too and I've never really noticed it being hard to keep clean; mine's a daily driver so it's not like I'm trying to win trophies. lol

Yeah sure, if you run your finger across it; it'll leave behind a mark, I do recall my friends leaving messages on my spoiler and bonnet but it'd usually be after a bit of dust build up.

If you take your car out once a week and wash it regularly I don't see it as being a nuisance. I guess you have to see one in the flesh, open the bonnet and see if you can live with the finger marks but even gloss black is notorious for being hard to maintain. I recall the expression, 'my car isn't black, it's a full time job.'

s

This Torana is the look i was thinking about, i have seen other brands of cars as well with a gloss and satin or matt combo and i liked it. What do you think about the harder to spray part of the cons, because i have never used it before. 

#93 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

I always struggle to not get it mottly over large areas.

#94 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:15 AM

Fair enough, i am not a professional painter, because of my old Holden addiction i taught myself a little bit over the years in my shed, but i do not want to get in over my head with a paint that's hard to use. 

#95 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:41 PM

No way i thought you were Michael Angelo

#96 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:47 PM

Michael Angelo could paint upside-down... have you ever seen a spray painter get paint under a sill panel? :shoot:

#97 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:49 PM

Michael Angelo could paint upside-down... have you ever seen a spray painter get paint under a sill panel? :shoot:

They cant get it right on top let alone under the sill the useless Cunning Stunts

#98 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:53 PM

BTW, that would have to be the worst possible place to put a battery tap, I wonder how many times he's been stranded somewhere because some smart-arse swiped the key?

5f%2010_zpswlpa3sep.jpg

#99 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:13 PM

They cant get it right on top let alone under the sill the useless Daisy Chains

That's why i am doing it myself, my job might not look as good as a professional spray job, but there's nothing worse than paying out all of those dollars and getting it home and your still not happy with it. I have learnt i am not the best painter and i don't have a spray booth but wet n dry and a buff help a lot.

#100 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:34 PM

BTW, that would have to be the worst possible place to put a battery tap, I wonder how many times he's been stranded somewhere because some smart-arse swiped the key?

Looks like it is mounted to the plastic grille you wouldn't want to be to heavy handed i would probably snap it off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users