insurance value

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

Time to insure my torana. Ive got a quote from shannons for insurance, they valued at 25k without seeing the car and knowing the interior isnt finished yet. this seems to be a bit low considering 25k probably wont get you a decent torana theses days. just want to know what your ride was valued at and whats been done to it.

thanks

#2 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

Organise an inspection if you want to insure for more. They can send an assessor to your pace to value it.
I had my hatch insured for $20k unfinished. I figured it was easier to keep the price low and have no issues if making a claim. I thought it very slim chanced that an unfinished car would go missing, especially if you keep it on stands with the wheels off

#3 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

Brendan, I'm not in the same category as you but Shannons would only insure my hatch, as a rolling shell, for $10K (laid up) with ability to increase this as the car progresses.  It's difficult to get insurance cover to equal value or more importantly cost, but maybe if you can put a good case for what is included in the car you may get some leverage.  Agree with Grant, even if you can get someone there you can talk to them. Cheers Ron

#4 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:37 PM

Brendan, I'm not in the same category as you but Shannons would only insure my hatch, as a rolling shell, for $10K (laid up) with ability to increase this as the car progresses.  It's difficult to get insurance cover to equal value or more importantly cost, but maybe if you can put a good case for what is included in the car you may get some leverage.  Agree with Grant, even if you can get someone there you can talk to them. Cheers Ron

ive done alot of the work myself, mainly installing things, when on the phone to shannons they first offered 18k, i got them up to 25 after a quick run down on what i have spent, trying to even remember the cost. im not sure how i need to negotiate the price with them and give them justification on why i think its worth more and tip would be appreciated. quick example ive recently done some rust repairs, took me frOcken ages. if i took it to a shop for them to fix there's easily a couple thousand. i did it myself for a couple hundred bucks.

Edited by brendan_h, 05 January 2016 - 04:38 PM.

#5 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:44 PM

Shannon insured my thing for 25k when it was in the process of being built. They upped it to 35k when it was finished...although no assessor has ever seen it in the flesh.

#6 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

It seems hit and miss with Shannons...

I have mine insured for 25k only as thats what they would insure it for without seeing it... When I rang to ask about upping it (I want it insured for 32k), they were quite dismissive- they said I would need to prove that I have spent at least equivalent to the increase in value with receipts- I cracked it and said I have done 90% myself so minimal receipts... I explained that if my car was pinched, there is NO CHANCE that I would be able to get an equivalent car for less than 30k. My running gear cost $17k alone- as well as a mint 2 door GTR shell etc etc

I will be having the car assessed in the next few weeks and if they do not come to the party, I will be changing insurers. 

#7 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

It seems hit and miss with Shannons...

I have mine insured for 25k only as thats what they would insure it for without seeing it... When I rang to ask about upping it (I want it insured for 32k), they were quite dismissive- they said I would need to prove that I have spent at least equivalent to the increase in value with receipts- I cracked it and said I have done 90% myself so minimal receipts... I explained that if my car was pinched, there is NO CHANCE that I would be able to get an equivalent car for less than 30k. My running gear cost $17k alone- as well as a mint 2 door GTR shell etc etc

I will be having the car assessed in the next few weeks and if they do not come to the party, I will be changing insurers. 

thats sounds very familiar to my situation. please set us know how it goes with the assessor.

#8 _72yellow_

_72yellow_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

What other insurers are people supporting, are Shannons as good as their constant advertising portrays or are others comparable?

#9 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

What other insurers are people supporting, are Shannons as good as their constant advertising portrays or are others comparable?

from searching around on here, no issies with shannons other then there value. same with the only main 2 we would use to insure our toranas.

#10 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

Without being rude, what car is it?
If it is a 4 door rolling shell, I would say you are well over insured. Depends on the car and it's value when finished also

#11 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:01 PM

My experience with Shannons has been extremely good- except for the agreed value of the vehicle. In their defence, they want the car assessed in person, which I understand- however its just a hassle.

In all other respects, Shannons have been excellent.

#12 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

I think a few people have cost and market value a bit confused.
An unfinished project is rarely worth it's cost to date. The insurers don't want to give you an incentive to have it go missing by giving an insurance value higher than market value.
I have found Shannon's very good to deal with in a claims situation.

#13 _brendan_h_

_brendan_h_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:13 PM

Without being rude, what car is it?
If it is a 4 door rolling shell, I would say you are well over insured. Depends on the car and it's value when finished also

4 door lj, rego nsw, engineered. v8 conversion with everything that goes with it. just had bare metal respray/rust fixed up. just got the seats to be retrimed then complete.

#14 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:22 PM

4 door lj, rego nsw, engineered. v8 conversion with everything that goes with it. just had bare metal respray/rust fixed up. just got the seats to be retrimed then complete.

You are already over insured... :)

#15 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

Shannon's happily insured my SL/R for $65k once they saw some decent photos of it.

#16 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:27 PM

You are already over insured... :)

Yeah I agree, stop whinging.

They would only go to $20k on my GTR, not happy really, but probably what it is worth.

I will try to up it next time the policy is due because there is no way I can replace it for that.

#17 Holdenbn74

Holdenbn74

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Name:Brendan Nichol
  • Car:LH
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

My 304 powered LH sedan with Lumley for 30k.
WA car.

#18 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

Just went through this with Shannon's and my XU1 that has just completed a two year restoration. My first phone call, I got the Sydney office. They are tools. The Torana 'expert' there told me that they couldn't insure it for the value I wanted ($80K) because it wasn't a 'big tank' version. WTF?? So, I hung up. Tried again, got the Melbourne office and they are brilliant. The bloke I dealt with there could not have been more helpful. He is a Valiant bloke, but appreciates little Toranas as well. 6 photos, all sorted! Could have probably got more with an inspection, but I am happy with that. Hopefully I never need to make a claim.

Edited by oz772, 05 January 2016 - 10:15 PM.

#19 _GMH-001_

_GMH-001_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:08 PM

personally I haven't dealt with them yet but the XD falcon I just painted (fairmont factory V8) the owner rang them and got it insured for 24K WITHOUT photos. Photos were sent mostly finished (no b/bars, chrome trims/ lights etc) upped to 28K with a couple photos. Price will increase with reg/completed project photos. However Rexy hit the nail on the head. In that case people would be jumping at the the chance of 'missing projects'

#20 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:31 AM

Just insured mine thru shannons. One ten minute phone call, a few questions and no photos and I was insured for 15k. The bloke was brilliant. LJ 4dr that I prepped, painted and put together myself. I wouldn't expect to be able to insure it for more, even tho over the course it would owe me more than 15k.

#21 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:21 AM

Just went through this with Shannon's and my XU1 that has just completed a two year restoration. My first phone call, I got the Sydney office. They are tools. The Torana 'expert' there told me that they couldn't insure it for the value I wanted ($80K) because it wasn't a 'big tank' version. WTF?? So, I hung up. Tried again, got the Melbourne office and they are brilliant. The bloke I dealt with there could not have been more helpful. He is a Valiant bloke, but appreciates little Toranas as well. 6 photos, all sorted! Could have probably got more with an inspection, but I am happy with that. Hopefully I never need to make a claim.

Is it OK to ask what the Premiums are ..  cheers mate ..  :)

#22 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

Shannon's insure all my cars, five in total. The hatch(originally 6cyl SS) is insured for 65k & SL/R clone 55k. I got one of Shannon's staff members at a car show to look at my Torana's and it was these guys that recommended the above insured values. It would properly cost me much  more to build these cars than the insures values these days, but doing most of the work myself again I could properly get close.   

Only had three claims in 30 years until two years ago when two cars were hit by hail and my son destroyed the SS ute in the same year. Couldn't speak more highly of Shannon's when it come to the crunch. Had the check in my hand for the ute in five days, they kept me informed every step of the way with all claims and backup phone calls afterwards to check if I was happy with my experience and repairs. The ute cost me $13,000 and Shannon's insured it for $14,000 unseen. Three years later when it was written off they still paid me out at $14,000.

I was previously insured with both NRMA & GIO, every year the insured values went down by 10-15%, Shannon's have increased the Torana's values automatically every year. When I had a claim with NRMA it was a fight all the way to try and get the car repaired to the pre damaged condition.

Every one I have had dealing with at Shannon's have been excellent and really known there stuff, when you say I'm running a TKO transmission the even asked me if it was a 500 or 600.        

#23 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

Shannon's insure all my cars, five in total. The hatch(originally 6cyl SS) is insured for 65k & SL/R clone 55k. I got one of Shannon's staff members at a car show to look at my Torana's and it was these guys that recommended the above insured values. It would properly cost me much  more to build these cars than the insures values these days, but doing most of the work myself again I could properly get close.   

Only had three claims in 30 years until two years ago when two cars were hit by hail and my son destroyed the SS ute in the same year. Couldn't speak more highly of Shannon's when it come to the crunch. Had the check in my hand for the ute in five days, they kept me informed every step of the way with all claims and backup phone calls afterwards to check if I was happy with my experience and repairs. The ute cost me $13,000 and Shannon's insured it for $14,000 unseen. Three years later when it was written off they still paid me out at $14,000.

I was previously insured with both NRMA & GIO, every year the insured values went down by 10-15%, Shannon's have increased the Torana's values automatically every year. When I had a claim with NRMA it was a fight all the way to try and get the car repaired to the pre damaged condition.

Every one I have had dealing with at Shannon's have been excellent and really known there stuff, when you say I'm running a TKO transmission the even asked me if it was a 500 or 600.        

I agree, they can be very, very good- however my last experience with the gent on the phone was not a positive one- lets just put this down to someone having a bad day, or Shannon's employing one goose... basically when I asked for an increase to my value (a mint 2 door running extensive drivetrain mods, been features in several magazines since the late 80s and an original GTR shell) the bloke was fairly abrupt and indicated that everyone thinks their car is worth more than it really is.. ????? This may be the case, but you dont rip someones innards out like that. Besides, Ive been watching the market and mint 2 doors sale prices have increased somewhat in the last 2 years, however Shannons have not reflected this increase with the policies for LC/ LJs. They still have a blanket 25k limit unless seen.

An inspector at a car show for Rhino car insurance put the value of mine at 35k when I had him look at a car show. Anyway, its no major drama, just a hassle that I need to take the car to St Leonards to have it inspected- but I understand why they do it.

I also transferred a few policies across to Shannon's, house and another car, as I have generally been very impressed with them.

#24 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

What blanket 25k limit?

Mines insured for a fair bit more than that with no inspection, there was a fair bit of backward and forward but it wasn't an overly difficult operation.

#25 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:07 AM

One of my LJ's is insured for over 25k with Shannons.Pretty painless process. Phone call, emailed some pics, another phone call, and done.

My HQ has laid up insurance for 20k through Shannons as well. No dramas with getting that, was the same phone call as the LJ.

Edited by slr_v8, 06 January 2016 - 11:09 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users