Some things to keep in mind when comparing insurance is
Your age
make and model of car
The cars age
#52 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:47 PM

My VF SSV wagon is still insured for replacement as it is only 12 months old, that being just over $50k and I pay around the$1000 mark. That's inured for over 25's only. I have the two Toranas and two daily's with them. This year they I'll get my house too.
I found Coles insurance to be a good bit cheaper, but they don't cover everything that Shannon's do. This I found out the hard way. Not my fault but at my expense.

#53 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:35 PM

I havent had to clame on my Shannons house and contents insurance policy, but I certainly like the way it looks and the price. 

#54 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

I've got $24,500 on my LJ 2 door through Shannon's on club rego,costs me $21,80 a month,got 2 years till I get the bonus discount,I sent Photos but I would like to up it a bit coz it did cost me a fair bit more to restore

#55 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

Biggest issue I have, and this likely is affecting all premiums is over insurance.

Sorry to use you as an example DJ, but your 4 door, six cyl Torana in pieces is currently insured for $34k.

I don't care how much you have spent on it.

Market value is likely a third.

How much you spend fixing a car is frOcken irrelevant... Spending huge dollars on 4 door lJ's is frOcken suicide... Like building an awesome UC Hatch or sedan.

No such thing exists....

#56 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

I agree 100%. 

#57 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:19 PM

Have 2 with Shannon's on laid up now, both unseen.

HQ Monaro at 20K & LJ XU1 at 26K, limited use 48 hours P/week. Used to be 76 hours

when I first signed with them but changed without notice. Cant remember total premium cost

but about $33 a month d/debit.

I cant complain compared to my mate who's got 1 of those Aussie delivered 98? STi 2 door "WRC" thingo's

worth around 70oddK new, he got it for lo 30K with 7500km on it & is pushing it uphill to get any more that 12K

coverage from Shannon's or any other company & its in near show-room nick. Got stole once but the thieving

buggers were kind enough to park it & just took off with books, only damage was from a honkey nut that fell onto

the ally bonnet.

#58 _ljshawn_

_ljshawn_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:07 PM

My lj 2 door 308 t350 full man, 9in etc etc fully engineered full rego was insured for 35k with photos around $370pa.it cost me alot more then that to build obviously, now its on laid up for less as its getting a new engine and box cant remember what its insured for now but its about $24 a month

My lj 2 door 308 t350 full man, 9in etc etc fully engineered full rego was insured for 35k with photos around $370pa.it cost me alot more then that to build obviously, now its on laid up for less as its getting a new engine and box cant remember what its insured for now but its about $24 a month

#59 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

Most of the Torana's here seam to be LJ's what are your LH & LX insured for. 

#60 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

Shannon's happily insured my SL/R for $65k once they saw some decent photos of it.

I think the policy is $340 per year.

#61 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:14 AM

Some Insurance people have NFI when it comes to cars or what they are worth at a recent holden day i asked a rep if he could look at my a9x as i wanted to up my insurance as i knew i had it under insured his reply was whats an a9x you will have to speak to someone else i said your joking right?? Wrong he didnt have a clue wtf...

i said let me get this right your at an official holden event your employed to give quotes and a service on the day but you dont know what model is what lol....im not saying you should know everything but you would think you would know what holden model is what yeah??

#62 _Kevhaze_

_Kevhaze_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

With my ss hatch which I had on laid up cover shannons insured it for $30,000 site unseen which I was rather impressed with. Now that it's done I still have to Get In contact with them to send them photos so they can value her for me.

Cheers Kev

#63 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

Ive got my 4 door insured for $25k.

I think its a fair call for replacement value.

Could build another for that and as far as im concerned, thats why im insured... To replace like for like in the event of a total loss.

#64 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:24 PM

Ive got my 4 door insured for $25k.

I think its a fair call for replacement value.

Could build another for that and as far as im concerned, thats why im insured... To replace like for like in the event of a total loss.

True, and this is the way I look at it. I just want to be able to at least be close to the replacement cost (buying an equivalent car already done). 

#65 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:51 AM

I guess it really depends on who you speak to...

I rang last night and asked for email address to send pics for re assessment of value...

The bloke was fantastic. He made me feel much more comfortable, and gave me an address to send pics. He said he will be more than happy to increase the value as long as the pics show are car that is not a heap of junk. I assured him that it isn't and sent the photos...

He actually said that they are being extra careful lately as they have had some problems where customers ring and get there car value increased, assuring them that the car is immaculate, when in fact it's a rust bucket.

Based on this last conversation, i am very happy. The bloke knew old holdens back to front, as well as 202 gear, which impressed me. The last bloke from sydney sounded 22 and had no idea.

#66 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:27 AM

I guess it really depends on who you speak to...

I rang last night and asked for email address to send pics for re assessment of value...

The bloke was fantastic. He made me feel much more comfortable, and gave me an address to send pics. He said he will be more than happy to increase the value as long as the pics show are car that is not a heap of junk. I assured him that it isn't and sent the photos...

He actually said that they are being extra careful lately as they have had some problems where customers ring and get there car value increased, assuring them that the car is immaculate, when in fact it's a rust bucket.

Based on this last conversation, i am very happy. The bloke knew old holdens back to front, as well as 202 gear, which impressed me. The last bloke from sydney sounded 22 and had no idea.

yes thats my point if your job is to evaluate cars ect shouldn't you know what your looking at lol.....

#67 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:23 AM

yes thats my point if your job is to evaluate cars ect shouldn't you know what your looking at lol.....

Yes, whilst they may not know 'all' cars, they really should be able to recognise and comprehend a broad spectrum of vehicles and what they are, especially the aussie classics. Hell, the majority of fellas on this forum could probably quote the values of most classic cars (from many makes and models) with reasonable accuracy.

At the end of the day, its not that hard for a true enthusiast. However, I could imagine it would be quite difficult for someone who isnt really all that into cars. Like anything, we tend to be good at what we like...

#68 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:58 AM

Shannon's told me they could not put a price on the GTR V8 Prototype until say it went to a Auction and the price was established that way for it, they have no idea what it could be worth.  But they said I could insure it as a normal LJ GTR.

#69 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:04 AM

Well its not exactly a replaceable car is it?

#70 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

Well DJ no its not, but do I have to sell it to find out what its worth to insure it ?????

#71 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:52 AM

Whilst on the topic of Shannons, do any of you guys insure your dailys with them also? I have my LJ with them and out of curiosity I called them yesterday and enquired about my two dailys also for the multi vehicle discount. Still didnt better what im paying through my current mob though. Anyone else found this?

#72 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:01 AM

Sorry mate I wasn't disagreeing with you, I think due to the fact its basically the only one verified then it would be worth a lot more than a gtr.

Not as if you can go out and buy another one.

The insurance value should reflect this.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 12 January 2016 - 09:03 AM.

#73 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:02 AM

Shannon's told me they could not put a price on the GTR V8 Prototype until say it went to a Auction and the price was established that way for it, they have no idea what it could be worth.  But they said I could insure it as a normal LJ GTR.

In this scenario the practice is often to insure it for what you paid for it if recent. This allows them comfort that a windfall total loss claim is unlikely.
If not recently purchased than you could make a case for an indexed amount based on your original purchase price if this works out to be higher than their current offer.

#74 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

Whilst on the topic of Shannons, do any of you guys insure your dailys with them also? I have my LJ with them and out of curiosity I called them yesterday and enquired about my two dailys also for the multi vehicle discount. Still didnt better what im paying through my current mob though. Anyone else found this?

My BMW is with them. Its stupid expensive for the insured value. But its due to being an expensive car to repair.

The mrs has her Corolla with them also, we saved about $100 or so from when she was with Suncorp.

Edited by hanra, 12 January 2016 - 10:12 AM.

#75 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

How much you spend fixing a car is frOcken irrelevant... Spending huge dollars on 4 door lJ's is frOcken suicide... Like building an awesome UC Hatch or sedan.

Absolutely; you can easily spend over 100k on an obscure yet not so rare show car; when times comes to sell you'll probably get half that if you're lucky.

What's to stop insurers arranging to have their own cars stolen then claiming 100k for a 50k car? Insurance companies would go bust.

s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users