Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

It must be such an art. I have a mate in Radelaide that gets calls from Harley shops asking him to pin stripe. Every time he does a job there is a number of lads standing by to watch. From what I can gather its all about the steady hand. Good luck Liz

#277 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Car:LJ GTR XU1 and LX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

It must be such an art. I have a mate in Radelaide that gets calls from Harley shops asking him to pin stripe. Every time he does a job there is a number of lads standing by to watch. From what I can gather its all about the steady hand. Good luck Liz

Thanks for the well wishes Ray,

The problem is with the manufacturer of the stripe and then also finding a reputable person to stick it on. Resto guy is worried about stuffing it up if I get a replacement. Stripe manufacturer on holidays of course..

Plenty of people advertising on Google but none have pics of this kind of work, they seem to do company advertising signage. Some have no pics at all or no business page..strange for a business that's all about looks.

Bad time of year to be trying to finish a project..

Cheers,

Liz :)

#278 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:11 PM

Spray bottle with a little bit of detergent in it and a good plastic squeegie/bog spreader is all that is needed apart from a good set of eyes.

And a sharp knife.

The water detergent mix lets you move it around and helps getting the air bubbles out.

But it will move without much help until the water dries out completely.

#279 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:28 PM

Spray bottle with a little bit of detergent in it and a good plastic squeegie/bog spreader is all that is needed apart from a good set of eyes.

And a sharp knife.

The water detergent mix lets you move it around and helps getting the air bubbles out.

But it will move without much help until the water dries out completely.

Thanks Rob,

I'll pass your very helpful instructions on to the workshop and see if I can convince him to do the replacement. Not sure how he did it the first time?

Cheers,

#280 Ando

Ando

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Car:6/'76 L32 SS white & black. 9/'76 L31 SS gold. 5/'77 L31 SS Chamois. 3/'79 UC SL Deluxe hatch.
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:13 AM

Yes..what Rob said.

Trial fit the stripe with masking tape to side of the car.

I had Mick McCardle's stripe kit. It had location dimensions as a guide & I made minor adjustments from there.

Find the best stripe line that pleases the eye & use short strips of masking tape edge to locate the stripe's top edge & ends.

Spray both surfaces & float the stripe sections up to the taped line Squeegee excess detergent water mix & air bubbles out.

Check & recheck for bubbles & stripe alignment! Use a soft sponge & dab gently to help dry.

Attached Files

#281 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,086 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:35 AM

And above all, DON"T RUSH IT. And not just the stripes either. I mean the rest of the build. I know it is exciting to have it this close to being finished, but with the quality of the work that has gone on so far, it would be a shame to not use the same standard on the little things just so you can drive it a week earlier. Take the LJ for a spin instead.  :spoton:

#282 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:49 AM

Yes..what Rob said.

Trial fit the stripe with masking tape to side of the car.

I had Mick McCardle's stripe kit. It had location dimensions as a guide & I made minor adjustments from there.

Find the best stripe line that pleases the eye & use short strips of masking tape edge to locate the stripe's top edge & ends.

Spray both surfaces & float the stripe sections up to the taped line Squeegee excess detergent water mix & air bubbles out.

Check & recheck for bubbles & stripe alignment! Use a soft sponge & dab gently to help dry.

Thank you very much, Ando.

Great instructions, I can't remember if there were any stripe location directions with mine. I'll have to wait until the manufacturer opens after Xmas to try and get a new stripe and then go from there.

Nice car you have there too :)

Cheers,

#283 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

And above all, DON"T RUSH IT. And not just the stripes either. I mean the rest of the build. I know it is exciting to have it this close to being finished, but with the quality of the work that has gone on so far, it would be a shame to not use the same standard on the little things just so you can drive it a week earlier. Take the LJ for a spin instead.  :spoton:

Yes, I'm hearing you Laurie.

It does seem to have gotten a bit of a stressful rush all of a sudden at the pointy end of the project and maybe you're right in that it's just me getting excited about driving it. I'm a little bit depressed about the stripe, even though resto guy reckons nobody would notice it, I'm sure I would've found it and then been annoyed so I'm glad he showed me, just want it sorted.

I think you're onto something there with the LJ too because it's off the road as well, fuel leak from carbs is the main issue there. Went to see it last week and thought I was going to tear up. Little green car has been a bit unloved so I've started collecting parts with plans to do a tidy up sometime in the next year or two.

Thanks again for the advice, I will try to calm down and go for a quick-ish drive in the daily :)

Cheers,

Edited by Liz Clare, 24 December 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#284 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

Hello Again Liz,  Not sure if you have any car clubs near ?. We have a couple TV shows based on South Australian custom cars/bikes ect. Maybe an email or phone call could provide a few leads. Also the Get out early!, is that a quote from my Resto Rage forum ?.

#285 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:13 PM

Hello Again Liz,  Not sure if you have any car clubs near ?. We have a couple TV shows based on South Australian custom cars/bikes ect. Maybe an email or phone call could provide a few leads. Also the Get out early!, is that a quote from my Resto Rage forum ?.

Hi Ray,

Yes, we have the Hunter Valley Torana Club up here so will check them out and I've sent an email to Mick McCardle asking for a recommendation and will check out some striping businesses after the Xmas shutdown, so early to mid January. Bad time of year to be getting anything done really. I'm trying to be patient like Laurie advised ;)

I have indeed read your Resto Rage thread but the "Get out early" is my own saying as far as I know, although I probably can't get the rights to it ;) It probably doesn't apply to a car resto as they usually seem to go on for years and years for lots of people.

The saying originates from Uni where I used to say it to other students and also my lecturers every time I dropped another subject. After numerous dropped courses I ended up just dropping out altogether but I really should've got out early because it would've saved me 7 long stressful years.

Applies to other stuff too, I had a crap office traineeship job that I got out of early :)

How is your resto going? Still waiting for something to happen? I haven't seen it pop up lately. I hope it gets moving along soon for you :)

Cheers,

#286 MRGMH

MRGMH

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Name:Torana
  • Car:LJ

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

Ready to organise the engine bay decals so I'm asking for some help. Here's a pic of a few that I already have.

attachicon.gif 87_Engine Bay Dceals IMG_0095 copy.jpg

I'm unsure what the yellow "Wylie Automotive Products" decal is for so I'm hoping for some help here.

Also, where does the yellow LSD decal go? I thought I had seen one on the inside of driver's door but seems an odd location for a diff reference.

I'm planning on buying a wiring loom set, wiper motor and beware of fan decals from Torana rpa as well.

Am i forgetting anything? Hope not.

Cheers,

Liz speak to Mick Mccradle he runs Torana RRP he will tell you exactly where they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#287 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

Thanks Danny, yeah I've had some help from Mick on a couple of things so far. Bloody stickers, of all the things to be stressed about...and don't get me started about the side stripe problem. I should've bought them from Mick..

Still got a few little things to get and a couple of parts still in the post.

Picking the car up this Thursday !!  :)

Cheers,

#288 MRGMH

MRGMH

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Name:Torana
  • Car:LJ

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

Haha that’s the price you pay doing an original resto

#289 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,086 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:27 PM

Ready to organise the engine bay decals so I'm asking for some help. Here's a pic of a few that I already have.

attachicon.gif87_Engine Bay Dceals IMG_0095 copy.jpg

I'm unsure what the yellow "Wylie Automotive Products" decal is for so I'm hoping for some help here.

Also, where does the yellow LSD decal go? I thought I had seen one on the inside of driver's door but seems an odd location for a diff reference.

I'm planning on buying a wiring loom set, wiper motor and beware of fan decals from Torana rpa as well.

Am i forgetting anything? Hope not.

Cheers,

The Wylie sticker was for the bottle jack in LJ Toranas.

I have been trawling through my pics and I can only find one LH and no LXs with the LSD sticker on the A pillar. The one I have got shows it in a similar position to the LJs, but it is on a car that had been restored in the early 80s with the photo taken in 1988. I also have pics of brand new LH SL/R 5000s without it.

#290 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

The Wylie sticker was for the bottle jack in LJ Toranas.

I have been trawling through my pics and I can only find one LH and no LXs with the LSD sticker on the A pillar. The one I have got shows it in a similar position to the LJs, but it is on a car that had been restored in the early 80s with the photo taken in 1988. I also have pics of brand new LH SL/R 5000s without it.

Thanks for that Laurie, I'll give the Wylie sticker a miss and leave the LSD sticker off for now as well. I might just put the fan and wiper motor stickers on to start with and check out which ADR sticker I need, if at all.

Cheers,

#291 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

Well, drove the hatch home yesterday and at the RMS today. I've never been so damn excited to be at the rego office before!

Car goes like the clappers. Good weather forecast for the weekend.

Stoked

Cheers,

#292 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

Well done Liz.  I'm really happy for you.  Cheers Ron

#293 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

Well done Liz.  I'm really happy for you.  Cheers Ron

Thanks Ron,

Just a couple of little bits left to do, need some carpet for the hatch area and still some small parts still in the post.

Got the original number plate combination in Black & Yellow so should look the goods.

Will be looking for a good spot to take some pics tomorrow.

Cheers,

#294 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

Well done Liz, we need some of the finished pics now. Time to enjoy.

#295 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

Great news Liz enjoy

Stuart

#296 HIBERN8

HIBERN8

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:1974 LH S

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

Great to hear you are now able to drive and enjoy it!! Looking forward to the pics. Can’t wait for mine to get there, maybe 2018 will be the year.

#297 Ando

Ando

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Car:6/'76 L32 SS white & black. 9/'76 L31 SS gold. 5/'77 L31 SS Chamois. 3/'79 UC SL Deluxe hatch.
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

Good on ya Liz!!

Wanting to see more pics of the finished car please?  :clap:

#298 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

Front of my 31/5/76 SS hatch unrestored.

Attached Files

Edited by Shtstr, 06 January 2018 - 01:40 PM.

#299 Torrii

Torrii

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Name:Pete
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Well done Liz. Did you pick a spot to take photos?

#300 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

And she's on the road!!

Attached File  88_Drivers Side IMG_5655 copy 2.jpg   448.06K   13 downloads

Looks like it's sparkling in this pic :)

Attached File  89_Edited Front Shot IMG_5656 copy.jpg   106.18K   13 downloads

Attached File  90_Passenger Side IMG_5657 copy 2.jpg   392.09K   15 downloads

I think my photography skills leave a lot to be desired...sorry about that. Might have to find a proper photographer and get a couple of really good shots.

Cheers,

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users