Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Car:LJ GTR XU1 and LX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

6-7 Month 76 is about the mark for the changeover of the twin bonnet skins. Same as the rear beaver change on the LH and LX's and black to colour engine bays on LX's. Trust me on this one!

Hi Gerry,

So, does that mean black before and colour after 6-7 month 76 or the other way around? Always wondered about the engine bay colours. My car is coloured engine bay and is April, 76.

Cheers,

Liz :)

Edited by Liz Clare, 21 July 2017 - 02:18 PM.

#77 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

The early ones are black later coloured . But I think this change was really early on LX like start of 76. Plenty of April hatches with coloured engine bay

#78 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

The yellow one is single skin and the primer one is double, you can see the double skin in the round hole. Its not really a double skin more a double frame at the front

Attached File  bonnet3.JPG   51.19K   12 downloadsAttached File  bonnet2.JPG   40.24K   13 downloadsAttached File  bonnet1.JPG   69.76K   18 downloads

#79 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the pics Brett, makes it very clear. I'll have to look at mine in person next time I'm at the workshop.

Great that you have an intact ADR sticker too.

Cheers,

#80 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:10 PM

Great that you have an intact ADR sticker too.

New replacement stickers available from RS anyway...

http://www.rarespare...up=decals&pno=0

#81 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:47 PM

Mick @ torana rpa does them doesn't he ? At least they will be accurate !

#82 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:58 PM

Mick @ torana rpa does them doesn't he ? At least they will be accurate !

Maybe that's where I've seen it before, was just searching through his decals recently and bought the "CE" for the front of the rocker cover. Not sure if I'm going to use it yet, might be a bit over the top.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#83 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

The early LX's (up to around 6-7 month 1976 carried over many of the LH traits. The rear bevers where more like the hatches and had a second outer frame with holes in it and the square boot catch mechanism.  And the bonnet skins had the double skin on the frame as shown above. Post that they removed the second frame and changed the latch to a single square loop style and changed to singler skin on the bonnet. Have a look in both LH and LX boots and you will see the difference. The engine bay colours vary a bit more and were hit and miss, but as a rule anywhere from about 3-7 month 1976 they started changing from black to colour.  It also seemed to depend on the colour whether the engine bay was black or colour. I have caught quite a few supposed genuine 5000's out by identifying these traits.

Another give away was the console in the early LX's which had the flip up lid like the LH not the coin tray.  I had two LX5000's that were nearly identical, both mandarin, and one was a 3/76 with all the LH features, and the other was a 11/76 with all the LX features. They looked so good next to eachother in the shed :-).  Having had LH/X's for over 30 years, you get to work out a lot of differences.

Hope this helps...

#84 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:36 PM

The early LX's (up to around 6-7 month 1976 carried over many of the LH traits. The rear bevers where more like the hatches and had a second outer frame with holes in it and the square boot catch mechanism.  And the bonnet skins had the double skin on the frame as shown above. Post that they removed the second frame and changed the latch to a single square loop style and changed to singler skin on the bonnet. Have a look in both LH and LX boots and you will see the difference. The engine bay colours vary a bit more and were hit and miss, but as a rule anywhere from about 3-7 month 1976 they started changing from black to colour.  It also seemed to depend on the colour whether the engine bay was black or colour. I have caught quite a few supposed genuine 5000's out by identifying these traits.

Another give away was the console in the early LX's which had the flip up lid like the LH not the coin tray.  I had two LX5000's that were nearly identical, both mandarin, and one was a 3/76 with all the LH features, and the other was a 11/76 with all the LX features. They looked so good next to eachother in the shed :-).  Having had LH/X's for over 30 years, you get to work out a lot of differences.

Hope this helps...

Thanks Gerry, Yes, all the little details are a great help. Very much appreciated too. I've got lots to learn, that's for sure but it's fun.

Cheers,

#85 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:46 PM

Liz early(Pre-poll) LX 308 rocker stamps were GE (same as late LH) not CE. Early A/C cars are GI.

I have studied this thoroughly for my car and have plenty of evidence including my mates Feb 76 5000 that he has

had from new. If l knew what l was doing l would post a pick. l have contacted Mick on this and he's probably looking

into it because he clearly prides himself on making sure his stuff is right. I know the time and effort he has put into

these new decals and stencils. And by the way as a dedicated rivet counter l don't think it's over the top to put the stencil on

such a thorough resto. :D  

#86 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

Liz early(Pre-poll) LX 308 rocker stamps were GE (same as late LH) not CE. Early A/C cars are GI.

I have studied this thoroughly for my car and have plenty of evidence including my mates Feb 76 5000 that he has

had from new. If l knew what l was doing l would post a pick. l have contacted Mick on this and he's probably looking

into it because he clearly prides himself on making sure his stuff is right. I know the time and effort he has put into

these new decals and stencils. And by the way as a dedicated rivet counter l don't think it's over the top to put the stencil on

Hi Stuart,

I'm glad that you've pointed this out, was actually hoping someone might comment on this before I put it on. I must say that I had trouble deciding which decal was correct and when I looked through Mick's listings the first time I couldn't find one that suited my car, then a month later I found it so I'm not sure if I was just tired the first time or if I got it wrong the next time I looked. I'll ask my rest guy to hold off on putting the decal on.

I suspect that I am also a rivet counter ;) so I will have to make sure I get this correct. Thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated.

Also, I think I have worked out how to post pics. There are a few things needed to get it right. I find using Safari browser the most user friendly. When replying if you click the blue coloured "More Reply Options" and make sure your pic is less than 1.5mb in size it seems to work. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

#87 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

It's not over the top Stuart, it's your car for 1 & i think that stencils & the time frame in getting the bits like new just top of a good restoration, it's the look i would go for, but it's not everyone's interest. Gary. Hoping Liz does the same !

#88 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:37 PM

It's not over the top Stuart, it's your car for 1 & i think that stencils & the time frame in getting the bits like new just top of a good restoration, it's the look i would go for, but it's not everyone's interest. Gary. Hoping Liz does the same !

I'll have to be sure I have the correct decal otherwise it will be left blank. I'll email Mick and see what he thinks.

I think it's interesting that the LH with L31, M21 is a "GE" decal and early LX with L31, M21 is "CE", makes me wonder if there's a mistake between very similar looking lettering if looking at old photos or original cars with faded or peeling stencils.

Anyway, hope I can get confirmation.

Cheers,

Edited by Liz Clare, 24 July 2017 - 07:38 PM.

#89 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

Sorted! I emailed Mick and he agrees that it should be "GE" so the correct decal is on it's way to me.  I'm going to look for my broadcast sheet in the car next time I'm there to see if it confirms it.

Thanks for the help, Stuart.

Cheers,

#90 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

Sorted! I emailed Mick and he agrees that it should be "GE" so the correct decal is on it's way to me.  I'm going to look for my broadcast sheet in the car next time I'm there to see if it confirms it.

Thanks for the help, Stuart.

Cheers,

Your welcome Liz good work. Mick sent me the original old photo he went off and it was easy to see why he thought it was CE because the view of the stamp on that particular angle was a bit poor. I know he was going off build sheets when he could. I sent him the photo of my buddies dirty old original engine stamp that is clearly GE and there was another very original early Papaya 308 Hatch for sale recently with a faint but clear GE. It also stands to reason that as Gerry has stated above early LX's are basically late LH's in engine, running gear and suspension, that the engine code continued the same until July when the pooey :P motors had to be used. Everyone on here knows how thorough Mick is so it was no surprise that he sorted this out and sent you the right one and I'm with Gary in hoping you go the whole hog on this resto. Good luck.

Regards Stuart 

Edited by 308 Sunbird, 26 July 2017 - 11:21 AM.

#91 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:13 AM

A few more pics from further along the resto process.

Attached File  20_Hatch in bare metal IMG_2847 copy.jpg   182.42K   15 downloads

Nice clean looking hatch.

Attached File  21_Rear End patched rust in beaver panel IMG_2840 copy.jpg   226.27K   16 downloads

Attached File  22_N:S Tail light bucket IMG_2841 copy.jpg   200.69K   13 downloads

Tail light buckets don't look too bad for rust.

Attached File  23_O:S tail light bucket IMG_2842 copy.jpg   217.66K   12 downloads

Attached File  24_O:S Rear Quarter Bare Metal IMG_2808 copy.jpg   78.04K   14 downloads

#92 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

Man, that is such a good car. Very jealous.

#93 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

And a few more :)

Attached File  26_N:S Rear Quarter in Bare Metal IMG_2843 copy.jpg   232.62K   12 downloads

Looks like these bonnet hinge plates are a water trap.

Attached File  28_Hinge location on O:S guard IMG_2895 copy.jpg   196.84K   11 downloads

Attached File  29_O:S Hinge Plate IMG_2896 copy.jpg   361.28K   12 downloads

Attached File  27_O:S Hinge location in engine bay IMG_2764 copy.jpg   207.88K   11 downloads

#94 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:37 AM

The rust is a little bit worse on this side.

Attached File  31_Hinge location on N:S guard IMG_2897 copy.jpg   235.79K   12 downloads

Attached File  32_N:S Hinge Plate IMG_2898 copy.jpg   301.55K   13 downloads

Attached File  30_N:S Hinge location in engine bay IMG_2765 copy.jpg   181.45K   13 downloads

#95 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:42 AM

Engine bay in progress :)

Attached File  33_Engine Bay masked & primed IMG_2871 copy.jpg   212.71K   13 downloads

Attached File  34_Engine Bay Primed IMG_2875 copy.jpg   206.21K   12 downloads

Engine Before and After pics.

Attached File  35_Engine Before IMG_2873 copy.jpg   242.41K   16 downloads

Attached File  36_Engine After IMG_2874 copy.jpg   244.4K   24 downloads

Cheers,

#96 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

Note LH style water heated manifold, putting further credence to the GE stamp.

#97 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

Hi all,

I am really glad that we got the GE stencil issue sorted. 

As Stuart said, we are trying our best to get it all correct when it comes to these.. 

Suffice to say that we are still chasing the info for a lot of LH and LX's so if you have a copy of a broadcast sheet and thing that you might be able to assist, please let me know at;
[email protected]

cheers
Mick

#98 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

Hi all,

I am really glad that we got the GE stencil issue sorted. 

As Stuart said, we are trying our best to get it all correct when it comes to these.. 

Suffice to say that we are still chasing the info for a lot of LH and LX's so if you have a copy of a broadcast sheet and thing that you might be able to assist, please let me know at;
[email protected]

cheers
Mick

I'll definitely check for one next time I'm at the workshop. Most likely tucked into one of the seats from what I've read elsewhere.

Cheers,

#99 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

Man, that is such a good car. Very jealous.

Thanks Laurie. I'm stoked with how good it is too.

Cheers,

#100 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

Wow you dont see to many hatches with rear quarters in that cond very often