#26 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:59 PM

That'd be LHmusl (?)...
I can post pix of my Hatch on gas... tonight.
I'll have more time when I get home.

Cheers.

#27 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:14 PM

Very valid argument, the same can be said about public transport, why don't they subsidise that.
But back on topic, there is an LH on here with the gas research carbies mounted vertically, Heath do you have a picture and it sticks up through the bonnet, just for something different.

they could make public transport free but I would still not use it, dont like it.

Am considering getting a price on gas conversion though.

Herne

#28 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:10 PM

Yeah Knoath, thats LHMusl. He had the carbs mounted vertically to he could have cold air induction. Can't remember which parts were custom made, whether it was how it bolts to the manifold, or the air cleaner part. He said he'd do it differently given the chance to do it again.

#29 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:17 PM

Dick, I'll do it for you. lol

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Believe it or not, I don't even have a photo of Luke's engine bay. Is it possible that he opened it and I didn't snap it? Doesn't sound like something I wouldn't do :tease:

Yes Devilsadvocate I do agree with you. I'm sortof surprised that more people aren't disagreeing, but it's an understandable argument to say the least.

Edited by Heath, 18 August 2006 - 03:19 PM.

#30 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:15 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble Heath, but you are not the worlds best photographic journalist, cos yep, you missed it! He had it open at the very start of the cruise, while we were all still in the Club Kilsyth car park :D

#31 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:42 PM

lol yep that's when I saw it for the first time. I am absolutely useless. I no longer can look myself strait in the mirror :P

Sorry to burst your bubble Heath, but you are not the worlds best photographic journalist, cos yep, you missed it!

That point will be proved if someone else that was present at the time, has a photo of the engine bay from that occasion.

#32 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:01 AM

Thanks Heath....saved me some stuffing around.....!! :clap: :spoton:

#33 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:57 PM

Yep that WAS mine, but sold the other day very quickly to a guy in NSW, so i am rapted and shattered all at once! :cry:
I need the cash that i had poored into it for gulp (can't say this on here) more important things. :huh:
pic1
pic2
pic3

#34 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

I'm very sad to hear that Luke. :|
It better be getting replaced with another one.

At least it can be remembered with my uberskilled images from the photoshoot. :D

#35 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:25 PM

Getting back on topic...

Would it be possible to run a tunnel ram with dual (LPG equivalent) carbies sticking out the bonnet?

Or if keeping it more mellow, could a standard round airfilter be fitted to an LPG system? All the ones I've seen have offset air intakes.

Has the government actually passed that grant?

Cheers.

#36 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:37 PM

The rebate became effective from the time the PM formally announced it (Monday week ago from memory). Already seen in the press that there is a 3 month backlog.

The downside is the Government is also introducing in an excise on alternative fuels from 2008, which will phase in over 4 years till 2012. If your car is only a weekend driver do your sums carefully, as even with the rebate, will probably not turn out to be cost effective.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 22 August 2006 - 12:42 PM.

#37 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

Or if keeping it more mellow, could a standard round airfilter be fitted to an LPG system? All the ones I've seen have offset air intakes.

Yes, Impco 425

Dual fuel applications almost always use the Elbow or "offset air intake", which obviously doesn't look fantastic.

#38 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:08 PM

As Heath has said, the IMPCO has the more trad look, but also have a look at the pics LHMusl posted, thats exactly what we are talking about - aif filter sticking up into bonnet scoop.

#39 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:55 AM

Yeah LhMusl's setup looks great!

So eventually gas will be as expensive as petrol? Or a lot more expensive than it is now? What's the point of the grant then?

Cheers.

#40 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:15 AM

Going from memory here. Gas is currently tax free but that will finish in 2011. After that there will be an increase of 2.5 cents tax per litre per year until it will cap at 12.5 cents, obviously in 2016. So while the gov with cap their tax of LPG the producers can take it as high as they want, its anyones guess as to whether it will stay reasonable or end up like petrol.

#41 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:54 AM

hm... guess it comes down to luck really doesn't it! Where's a good place in sydney to get started?

Cheers.

#42 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:02 AM

Well the way I see it, if the Gov can get more people to use gas, then they'll have more people to tax when the exise comes in!!!

But for now, running a daily.... it does make sense.

If my circumstances change and I end up working 5 mins from home, it'll be back to PULP, and weekend fun! Get on the bike and get a bit fitter too!

#43 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:42 AM

I considered converting my car to gas, for about 5 minuites!
I didnt really see the point as I only drive it on weekends, I ride my bike during the week. thats the best part about living in the city, its quicker to ride my push bike! If the government was serious about things they would make the rego for motorcycles much cheaper than it is right now.

#44 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:02 PM

I love that ad on TV at the moment, where the sheila and the bloke are talking as if they're in a relationship saying how they have to put their differences aside and just get along with each other..... then the camera pans back and you see her on the bike next to the car at an intersection.....

Sorry makka, but had've been me in the car, I'd have pushed her over then driven off!

I say, They wanna share the road, pay bgucken rego!!!!
And get outta my bgucken way!!!

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

And before anyone calls me a hypocrit, if those afore mentioned cicumstances change, i'd be riding along a creek on a bike track....where they belong!!!!

Edited by knoath, 24 August 2006 - 12:05 PM.

#45 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:53 PM

haha, the funny thing is, i was going down Punt road the other day doing the 60 km/h (on my pushy) I came up along theis guy in his car, i was in the middle lane, looked at him then road off! the look on his face was gold, I clocked 80km/h!

#46 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:07 PM

It would be my thoughts that everyone on this site that has a v8 torrie got one because they wanted one, and was prepared to pay for the privilege of this(there are cheaper alternatives)(petrol has never been cheap in this country and v8s have always been considered expensive on fuel), anyone with a good argument that a v8 is needed for basic transportation speak up! It sickens me that the government has now thrown $2000 of mine and everyone else�s money at anyone owning such a vehicle to now run it on cheaper fuel. Making it cheaper to run encourages more use, please don�t drivel on otherwise��that is a fact.
Sure LPG has far less toxic emissions, and produces less global warming carbon dioxide per kJ, about 20% less. However, this will easily be offset by the overall increase in consumption of lpg over what the owner would have used if the car was still on petrol fuel used due to the price diff.

The environment is a complex issue. The ecological footprint a person places on the environment is a factor of many sources. To assume just because an individual drives a car or v8 they are more of a problem is very simplistic. What is the energy rating of the house you live in? What form of heating do you use? Do you recycle? Do you participate in community environmental initiatives? The fact that a Torry has survived 30+ years means a lot less energy has been consumed than pumping out a rice burner every 15 years. The new cars are more fuel efficient but require more inputs to produce than that Torry did!

#47 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:05 PM

^ it takes 4 times the energy/polution to make a new car than it takes to run an old car or to make one new car you could run 4 old cars all their life so who is the more enviromentally friendly person, one who restores an old torana or someone who goes and buys a brand new magna.

#48 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

But having bought said new car, its emissions would be many times better than old car and so less detrimental to the environment to drive than the old car?

#49 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

And the the construction of the old car probably caused more pollution than the construction of a car these days (refined processes, more efficient energy uses and recycling through the plant etc). Hense why the environment is a complex issue as Toranavista said.

#50 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:23 PM

so i say we stop making new cars and all rebuild Torana's (by hand) and put them on Gas :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users