- - - - -

MHDT L34 Bond/Harvey 76 Car

• Please log in to reply
1760 replies to this topic

#26 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:12 PM

Group C Class, we are running allum heads, water pump, inlet manifold, etc etc...
Holden 308 Stroker..$8/9000
Chev 350 Stroker $4/5000 max. E.G. Harrop 308 manifold $800/ Chev same $238
Will be recognised as Group C race cars.
R

Edited by rorym, 05 October 2006 - 07:15 PM.

#27 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

I now understand a bit more but it costs to have a lot of machineing done and strokers dont just fit in no matter what they tell you , i also have as a best mate a mechanic and we have done a lot of drag cars between us over the years and strokers are not cheap , remember if you get a cheap one you are paying for the quality , What sort of other cars would you be raceing against if i decided to go that way and what class for a genuine 308 lh type car ,? REX

#28 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:26 PM

As far as the engine build goes, when I say cheap, I mean cheap price and machine work not cheap quality, my engine builder owes me from some previous car parts dealings, so assembly and machining is costing me next to nothing. As for the class Rory would probably answer that 1 better then me, but I would think the cars we would compete against would be similar to what he was up against at speed on tweed-modified cars not factory standard type cars.

#29 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:08 AM

Depends on event but mainly would be Pre 75 Touring Cars Over 5000cc or you could nominate for the new Group C that some events are starting to introduce.
R

#30 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:18 AM

Fellas........
don't want to be a killjoy or anything..... :D
BUT, just be minfull if you get too far away from stock in a REPLICA BUILD then when these events become more popular (as they are) and the avaliability of entries becomes limited....
Who do you think is going to get an invitation and who is going to miss out???
Just keep in mind the opportunities to race the car BEFORE you build the car!
Many great cars over the years have been left in sheds because of a simple rule change or a promoters decision....
YES YOKOHAMA..........I'm talking about you........ :furious:

Cheers Greg..

#31 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

But we are sprints and hillclimbs...not open door slamming racing. leave that to Dummet and the crazies. If we bend our car..its our fault not anyone elses.
My mail up here is they prefer to have the replicas than just a plain jane car as the public relates to it more. Not real sure I would want to be out there with 20 other Group C cars aiming at the one first corner. :blink:
R

#32 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:35 AM

if it had a few less cubes you could race it in Improved Prod. as well.........

#33 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:26 PM

I will have to agree with greg on this one... for the 2006 MCM at EC my car wasnt able to be entered under the mixed muscle group because 'quote' its not an ex Group C car... even thou I was at last years event and its a current race car.

On a side note I was also thinking of repainting my car to HDT colours like what you guys are thinking of doing.... the 76 colours (not the 78/79 scheme). Next year I dont intend doing the NSW State series rather... pick and choose what I events I enter including events like speed on tweed etc... My car attracts plenty of attention now, but it would look much better in Race colours rather than street colours....

btw has anyone got any other colour ideas I could redo my LX in? This is how it currently looks....and no its not a real SLR5000... (mods... please resize photo thanks)
Posted Image

#34 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:37 PM

You could do the number 2 car
Posted Image

Hmm 3 replicas parked side by side at speed on tweed...now THAT would be a site to see

#35 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:53 PM

To RACE in Historics in Group C the car must be an ex CAMS logbooked car I am led to believe..hillclimbs and Sprints dont have the same strict regulations..that bit doesnt make sense to me as all other groups in NA/NB/NC are replicas....I would think genuine ex race cars would soon become thin on the ground just for their value alone...it will change..it has to..
On the paint...why not do the Allan Grice Craven Mild white/gold car? well know and a looker.
R

#36 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:00 PM

Agreed Rory 110% about the group c originality thing... They are headed for a melt down there is nothing surer.
With the value of ex- group C cars skyrocketing (they aren't making anymore of them) Collectors will just stash them away, leaving slim pickings for the man on the hill to watch, either that or their races will turn into nothing more than "demonstration laps"
On a personal note i would gladly bundle together both my racecars and my left nut as well for a group C logged Hatch..... But that ain't ever going to happen!
So I will wait patiently untill the purists(elitists) within the group A/C organisation decide that it is in THEIR INTERESTS to include us peasants amongst their ranks.
BTW: Group N is not that crazy..... :tease: just to find that last couple of seconds/lap in an XU-1 you have to get a bit agressive with it!
Heres a sugestion that might broaden your opportunities to race in different categories a little later (when the bug has bitten deeper). Trust me.. sprints and hillclimbs will only satisfy the itch for so long befire you want to go "door to door" with someone else...
Suggestion..... 350 block..383 stroker crank(400)...small journal 5.7 rod de-stroke it to 3.65" and you are legal to run Improved production! Under 6litres.
Simple and cheap!!!!

Cheers Greg..

#37 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

Good idea Greg...but lets be honest...when was the last time a protest made the scruts pull down an engine to measure it in Historic...we did it all the time in Production M/C racing...mainly just to piss everyone off at the time...Mick Hone was good at that one! :clap: I personally think Stubber is running 427c.i....never did hear the story about the ban after Bathurst round..maybe you can help me?
R

Edited by rorym, 06 October 2006 - 06:06 PM.

#38 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

You could do the number 2 car
Posted Image

Hmm 3 replicas parked side by side at speed on tweed...now THAT would be a site to see

now thats a pretty funky paint scheme.... not sure if i like it... The jury is out...

#39 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:10 PM

Lookm at it in colour..
30 years later I still get a hard on! :spoton:
R

#40 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:26 PM

Oh don't you worry about that Rory.......
Engine sealing whilst not compulsory, is preferred and if you turn up and start nailing the opposition in a straight line and your engine isn't sealed... Then they will seal it for you! BUSTED!
As far as i know........... Stubber was done for a"minor" infringement that related to chassis stiffening.But I heard that 3rd hand so i'm not sure.....Apparently a small oversight during vehicle construction.

Cheers Greg..

#41 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:34 PM

Out for 3 months for a "minor" infringement?..We know better than that!..Read..a HUGE find! ..and coverup to make sure the opposition doesnt do the same..I am betting it had NOTHING to do with suspension...that thing just grunts! way too good! for a 350. You dont win a race by that far when you all run the same gear.
R

Edited by rorym, 06 October 2006 - 06:36 PM.

#42 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

Your words............
NOT mine... B)

Cheers Greg..

#43 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hahahah! The games the boys play! Warren Willing once said to me...Its not how hard you cheat...it's what they catch you doing..
R

#44 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:28 PM

have you any pics of these cars yet ??

#45 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

Not yet, in the build, just sorting parts etc :spoton:

#46 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

i know its a little of topic but as i need some new side mirrors i was looking at getting some just like those hdt toranas, can any one tell me where i can get some, currently i have some plastic xa falcon mirrors, and due to the repeated high speed stretches i have done they are cracking, but i notice that lxchev366 appears to have the same sort of mirrors, is any one else having these problems?

cheers adam
and thanks for the thread steal good luck with the build :spoton:

#47 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:19 AM

Been reading this thread with interest and a little excitment on the possibility of some ex race car look alikes. Best of luck with the build, looking forward to the progress pics and end result.

Off topic a bit. I hope your right Greg with the hopeful sanity prevailing one day as far as letting replica Group C cars to be built for the purpose of racing. There was a good readers letter in Australian Muscle Car magazine a few issues ago about the very subject and a good idea of how to control it to some extent without the origonals loosing value. It would be a shame to loose and origonal car through a racing incident. From what we all know of CAMS (conspricy against motorsport) that will be a long way away if at all. :furious:
The bigger problem now for the group C's is the availability of rubber to run on.

#48 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

MRNOS pointed out the L34 didnt run a drop tank but it has some sort of low pickup..I am not fussed either way.
R
Posted Image
God it was a horn outfit!
Posted Image
Here is the low pick up point weleded in by Harry..Also the Panhard rod setup...almost the same place as the Nissan Skyline diff.
Charlie Obriens L34 Bathurst 75. Love it when I find all these old photos in my shoe box!
Posted Image

Edited by rorym, 09 October 2006 - 06:36 PM.

#49 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

God it was a horn outfit!

And it will be again :clap:

Umm Rory thats not a pickup point its the spare wheel hump, found some pics of the boot they have a type of fuel cell in the boot

Edited by MRNOS, 09 October 2006 - 06:39 PM.

#50 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:46 PM

Still trying to get hold of Charlie for his pics and info on wheels...I WILL FIND HIM!!We need engine and boot pics to get this right!!
R

Edited by rorym, 09 October 2006 - 06:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users