Spray Gun

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:27 PM

If your brave you can use it on your last colour coat if your doing a Basecoat colour with clear over the top. It can help if your confident in your painting abilities to get your metallic really flat but you also run the risk of getting some mottle in your paint if you over do it.

I'd leave the retarder thinners for your final coats of clears if your painting a metallic/pearl or final coats of colour if your painting a solid colour like white, yellow etc.

Drying times all depend on your environment like temperature etc, but with roughly 10% retarder thinners in your mix it will allow the paint to flow out and stay wet enough so you dont get any dry spray/overspray on your larger panels like turrets and bonnets etc. It will be softer for longer but it won't be too wet like 2pack or enamel etc.

It would be wise to experiment a little if your planning to use retarder thinners otherwise only use maybe 2-3% to start off with so you dont get into trouble.

#52 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:58 AM

whats better for acrylic?a HIGH or LOW pressure gun? and a 2.0 or 1.8 nozzle?

cheers

#53 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:29 AM

I found that a 2.o tip was slightly better in finishing (especially metalics) than the 1.8. It seems as if the 1.8 would not place enough material on the panel quick enough. I have a high volume low pressure gun whihc I paid well over $400 for and the amount I get on the panel rather than all over the garage neighbours colthes, dog etc is unbelievible. I would vote low pressure for a number of reasons.

1. minimal material wasteage
2. air comsumsion reduced
3. more directed fan

By no means am i a professional painter. But I have worked within the painting industry for some time and there are many ways to skin a cat. I was recommended the HVLP gravity feed Iwata Which is what I purchase and never looked back.

Cheers

PS: The gravity feeds allow roof sprayage without drips.. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users