76 replies to this topic

#51 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:44 PM

pics of the go-kart when we had just finished it. Note that the rear wheels and sprocket have since been welded to the axle as these little stub crews just didnt cut it and just sheared straight out of the holes.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I thought i had more pics then this but this is all i could find. also if anyone really wants these Raven plans i will organise to get them scanned or something instead of photocopying them.

Cheers guys

#52 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:21 PM

also if anyone is interested i had this old wiper sniper motor that i started mucking around with and was going to make a motorised bike or something with it. it had no carby and i had a few of thes old victor two stroke cabrys lying around, so i made an adapter plate and whacked it on. with very little tuning the thing fired up! it f&$en' screamed its t$%s off when it was wound up!! couldnt believe it that a carby that was twice the size and half as technical made the thing go... anyways piece of useless info there... dont think i have that motor anymore as we cleaned out all that junk just recently.

Leigh

#53 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:15 PM

hahaha mate that is killa.

So is that a gravity fed carby? Fuel tank on top of it..

#54 _jake_

_jake_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:46 PM

thats pretty cool

Edited by jake, 19 April 2007 - 11:47 PM.

#55 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:48 PM

so how did u go stopping it? lol

#56 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:36 AM

HAW HAW, awesome i'll speak to the old man..

Thanks mate.

#57 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

I've got a solid pedal car from a few years back that would be PERFECT for a mower engine. If i had the skills i'd do it.
Can you get huge mufflers to quiet these things down?

#58 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

So is that a gravity fed carby? Fuel tank on top of it..

Azza yes this was gravity fed using the same carby that came with the mower, just turned around 90 degrees so it didnt leak of course!

thats pretty cool

Thanks! :D :D

so how did u go stopping it? lol

haha! well that was the fun part... once you were going you were going! we wired up a kill switch to the steering wheel and if you want to stop you would turn the switch off and wait for it to roll to a stop! :tease: this usually didnt take that long though... i have plenty of acreage so it wasnt an issue. But i do have a funny story about!

Before the second drive we had to remove the steering wheel plate from the shaft to do some modifications and me being young and a very shit welder didnt weld it back on too good and when i got down the back of the paddock to do a 90 degree turn to go back around the house (which was slightly down hill so this was the fastest part of the circuit we did!!) the steering wheel broke off!!! i was heading straight for a fence and a row of gum trees... so i bailed, done a few rolls on the ground and finally came to a stop!! :rockon: Luckily the go-kart stopped itself before it hit the trees...

HAW HAW, awesome i'll speak to the old man..

Thanks mate.

No worries mate! she hasnt run in a very long time and has been sitting outside, but knowing these motors a quick prime with fuel and a bit of RP7 down the bore and she will go! :spoton: When i built it, i had a few of these motors lying around so i built the best from what i had and even replaced the rings. Drop us a PM if you like or you can call me on 0422481738.

Can you get huge mufflers to quiet these things down?

I bought a new mufler for mine. because of the orientation of the motor i had to buy a round cylindrical mufler that didnt have any baffle inside it, so it was pretty loud! im sure you could get a quieter one but noise didnt worry me!

Cheers Leigh

#59 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

Also, Liam please note that ir currently has one broken mounting bolt as when they broke the first time i replaced them and snapped it when i was doing it up... it hasnt run since. i would highly recommend buying some new more suitable bolts rather then replacing them with used ones as because of the vibrations it indures the bolts become hard and brittle and hence why they snap. So id be getting some stainless steel bolts or something stronger.

Cheers Leigh

#60 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

^^ Yep I get ya, He isn't home so I gotta speak to him tomorrow.

#61 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:46 PM

hahaha. I used to have this road racing kart (for bitumen tracks), had a 5hp Honda on the back. Dad and I got it going, had it all good. I was boring around the shed, on the dirt, and going towards a big stone planter box thing we have there. decided to turn, so I wouldn't hit this thing. the kart decided not to turn. The bolt that held the steering wheel to the steering column had come off, so I was turning the wheel, but the thing wasn't steering. haha. No brakes, either, so I went flat strap into this immovable object. My mate, who was about to get in to do a few laps, ran into the shed were my Dad was, and the conversation went a little like this, apparently;

Mate - 'Terry, Tim's just crashed the go kart!'
Dad - 'Is he OK?'
Mate - 'Nah, I don't think so.'

Cue Dad and mate running out to help me. haha. I was only winded, but the stone won against the kart...

Tim

#62 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:26 AM

lol! tis a scary feeling when the steering wheel just flops off into your hands ey! lucky u were ok

#63 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:52 PM

haha spewing. I better have a few bolts in mine :P

I think I am goind to use one of my torana steering racks in mine if its not too heavy lol

#64 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

haha spewing. I better have a few bolts in mine :P

I think I am goind to use one of my torana steering racks in mine if its not too heavy lol

depends on how serious you are planning on getting. for the briggs'y motor i would go as light as possible! will you be making it direct drive or using a centrifugal clutch? Also wont the torry rack make it so that you would have to turn the steering wheel heaps of times to move the wheels? mine is lock to lock with like 3/4 rotation or something like that...

also these "Raven" plans i have are for the use of a briggs n straton 4 stroke :D so if you want them just let me know

Leigh

#65 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

yeh mate send them over :)

Im going to be using a centrifugal clutch on mine.

Yeh didn't actually think about the whole steering thing really. Sounded like a good idea at the time tho lol

#66 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:57 PM

We were kart racing one day up in coffs harbour, and i had just finished my race, and was watching my uncle goin down the front strait, and what happens, HIS STEERING WHEEL COMES OFF!! he was doin like 70 ks bit managed to slip it back on and steer it off the track. was hilarious!!

#67 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

lol yeh would be funny as after but at the time he'd be shitting himself, and so would the on lookers

#68 _ultrabluea9x_

_ultrabluea9x_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:42 AM

maybee i should let you come and play with my leopard.....
in the meantime have a look at this
a gocart with an 1100cc shifter kart
seen it on cardomain blog
i hope this works

fcucking orsomePosted Image

#69 _BoltZ_

_BoltZ_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:59 AM

I tried the nitrous on my Talon mower on Tuesday night, worked a treat!! :D Think its got a bit of a rattle now tho. CBF setting it up properly so just stuck the main feed line straight into the airbox....

Bottle pressure was a bit low so the et's were a little inconsistant LOL

I'm suprised that mower still runs.. let alone after you gave it a gutful of nitromethane, and now direct nitrous! Poor bloody thing!

#70 _BoltZ_

_BoltZ_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:03 AM

http://videos.street...BDFFDB8FE6A.htm

^ 5hp mower vs. 60hp nitrous shot

#71 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

one of the guys we used to kart with has a trick setup in his airbox, used a tiny nitro injector from a model airplane, had it all hidden in the airbox, the motor used to scream, although he did do rebuild after each outing.

#72 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

I know what my next project is..

1100cc go kart

#73 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:21 AM

azza i have scanned those plans for ya. im not at home atm so i will post them sometime tonight or over the w/e. they are all jpeg's and i just put it in a zip file. anyway i can host it? or should i just send it directly to you?

Cheers Leigh

#74 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

Cheers mate

If you have msn add me [email protected]

Or send the file to [email protected]

#75 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:16 PM

lol! love the hotmail account addy!! :spoton: wish i was that inventive when i made mine... anyways you are added. not you just have to be online for me to send it through! :tease:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users