GREENMACHINE'S LX HATCH

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#1 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:45 AM

Hey all,

Well its been almost 2 years since i bothered to put up a progress post for my hatch, i got bored tonight seen all my pics and thought id share it all with you,

Ok... Last anyone seen id just got it on the road with a stock 253 and just got my 9" and wheels on it,
Since then its had a worked 253 put in, ran it for about 600kms, got greedy for more power so pulled that out and now belongs to a fellow forum member

I purchased a running VQ Series 2 statesman for 2grand, so you can see where im heading 1 Week later the car was stripped in the drive way the Injected 5.0L up on the stand and a court case to attend... yep got busted driving it unrego uninsured, but didnt lose points just a 375 buk fine. Made back 1300 on parts

The plans are a Injected 6.3L stroker motor, still saving for a kit and have a few rough prices, Bought a turbo 350 that was full of water when i pulled the pan off, so off to the tranny's for a rebuild, stg 2 shift kitted, manual valve body, overdrive blocked off, the clutches and main shaft were buggered, the bush on the shaft collapsed and wore it thin :huh:

As you will see in the pics below, everything possible that is alloy and able to be polished ive sat and polished, id estimate 140hours on everything so far, the manifold is not yet complete but in itself was a huge job and silly me for thinking i could do it, But its a one of a kind so in a way is worth it :spoton:The other parts ive had chromed and must say they came up a treat, Bonnet hinges, bonnet catches, alt bracket face, altenator fan, wiper motor, brake booster.

Ive put the electric window regs into the hatch using the front regs from the statesman this didnt cost me anything(thanks to HERNE's thread :spoton:
The interior is getting re upholsted in slate black suade from the new VE HSV i got 11.5m and dont ask where from, Also a neat black mesh/silvergrey backed insert to go into the seats and door trims, VT Fronts will be used and re shaped along with the rear seat will be reshaped, This has all been put on hold as my mate whos trimming it his girlfriend has unfortunatly got cancer Unsure how its all going

Also a HUGE ASS THANKYOU To DATTOMAN!!
This bloke knows his stuff, and i think he was ready to snap from all the pm's i bugged him about, Ive succsessfully done the VN Mastercylinder conversion allowing me to flick the torana proportioning valve and re run my brake lines, Had the booster rebuild and chromed, I ground back and polished the mastercyl also from the statesman :spoton:

All the wiring through the engine bay has been run under along the chassis rail, the headlight harness runs behind the nosecone, the injection wiring will also be hidden to the best extent. Anyways ive forgotten what else i had to say, so ill let the pictures do the talking

Cheers
Marc :spoton:

https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183038832
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183038949
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183039077
A few shots when it was last running, september 06
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183039158
this is the worked 253, belonging to barnylx now with a defect :clap:
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183039321
this is the trim that i put in, now its all out. Again... boredom got the better of me :fool:
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183039467
Again i got bored with the current boot set up, so out it came and i redone the lot, the amp sits under a perspec glass with lighting, New trap door fully trimmed with a gas strut
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183039624
see ^^
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183039769
This is the 304 From the statesman in all its gunk n glory but then with a shitload of work you can have it looking something like.....THIS vvv
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183039890
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183040010
This is the manifold on its own standard if you dont know what they are like factory
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183040119
ive had some of the vaccum lines welded along with the Heater pipes removed and welded up.
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183040232
Rocker covers i polished they were lets say one of the easier items to do.
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183040349

The VN Brake master upgrade.Before dattomans PM help and after dattomans PM help vv Dattoman after my pm's :party:
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183040426
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183040655
remains
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183040745
https://cache.gmh-to...pg?t=1183040797
And lets not forget the statesman hey :rockon: It went to a good place called SIMS METAL :spoton:

Hope you all enjoy the pics my ass is numb from sitting here so long uploading pictures. and now i PREVIEW The post and it wont show pics so i had to URL Them grrr! I cant wait till i have a bit more money to start the engine build up, ill have pics up

Cheers

#2 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:09 AM

Very nice mate, thanks for taking the time to give us an update! There's nothing better than a clean looking hatch :D

#3 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:27 AM

Nice work mate, now my ass is numb sitting here clicking on all the URLs to see the pics lol.

So whats the specs on the brakes?

John

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:36 AM

Looks like its comming together nice for you. :spoton:

#5 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:08 AM

Top stuff marc, cant wait to see the finished product

#6 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:01 AM

Now this is what you traded it in for, correct? Or have I mis-interpretted something? :tease:

#7 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:08 AM

TORANASS: The brakes are HQ All round HQ Drums on the 9inch and HQ Slotted rotors on the front, along with the stub axles ect.
The master is off the statesman along with the front half of the booster the rear half of the booster has stayed torana for the bolt pattern

HEATH: Thats what you car looks like just about with all the chopped panels mate! :tease:

#8 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

Thanks Green, who done the booster for you?

John

#9 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:25 PM

Looking good! :spoton:

#10 _hatcheddan_

_hatcheddan_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:49 PM

Very nice :clap:

#11 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:14 PM

TORANASS: I Had the booster rebuilt by S.A Brake & clutch service, they end up being a bit cheaper than Powerbrakes

#12 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:21 PM

:clap: lookin good Bubba.

Do u reckon you could make it to the Berri show & shine in oct.

I promise that if u take me for a cruise I wont break this one.

mmm memories

Posted Image

#13 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

:blink: B*&#CH :furious: HAAHAHA!

No way will it be ready for october kaz, I was ment to do a wedding for a workmate i was going to scrap the idea of 6.3 and go 5.0 But then scrapped that idea of rushing it, so now its gonna be next year sometime which sux a bit cos it will probly be cold season again meaning i wont be driving it, so then you might get it next october :spoton: :spoton:

#14 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:59 PM

good to hear from ya anyways :spoton:

#15 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:19 PM

Looks sweet mate

Absolute credit to you

Cheers

Loui

#16 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:59 PM

Bout time you get off your numb ass and do some more work on it.

looking good Marc,dont rush it,it's not worth it.
might be ready about the same time as my white one?
The manifold came up a treat,feel like doin another one?

be good to see it back on the road again

#17 TORLX8

TORLX8

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Name:Campbell

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:02 AM

Geez mate, Looks awesome!! You certainly have been busy. Do you still have a girlfriend, or has she been polishing your bits too? :D Great to see the progress. :spoton:

#18 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:26 AM

Good work Marc, Looking the goods!

#19 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone! :spoton:

TORLX8: I Still do have a girlfriend and YES She has been polishing the manifold but thew that in the too hard basket and went back to watching greys anatomy :<_<: what a girl hahaha :D

#20 _toddy_

_toddy_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

Hey marc, Great to see all the progress on your hatch. Everything is looking sweet.
Maybe you should do one of those flame jobs on the torana too :spoton:
Cant wait to see it on the road again.

#21 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

Anyway, Its time for another update, im very behind and have done alot since the last update

Finally bought my stroker kit from COME Racing The block and bottom end are together now making it a 6.3L
I Tossed the Kieth black pistons and got some SRP Flat tops to bump the compression up to 10.5,
Have ordered some Yella Terra -9 alloy heads that will be getting more extensive porting, and going Hydraulic roller cam setup, Havnt worked out the grind yet until the heads are flowed and finished.
The fancy 304 Manifold that i put the effort into i end up selling due to the fact it was going to kill my bottom end, so i settled for a COME Twin throttle body manifold after alot of looking around for different types, this suited my likings and my budget. Ive since done more research and will be buying a Haltech E6GMX Engine managment system, we do alot of Haltech programming at work on the dyno, Hopefully once the engine is built in the next few months once running and tuned should be good for 500hp, But more to the point of tourqe.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Trans is finally done after a year of waiting, I Dont know off hand whats in it, But ive been assured that it will handle 600 at the wheels. As for stall convertor ill wait until i get engine figures before i go ahead and buy one too big or small.
Posted Image
I got bored so decided to rip the front end out of the car AGAIN, Should have left the bastard in there...
i paint stripped all the arms and x member to bare metal, Then welded up factory holes, filled in dents ect, and smoothed out all the welds to make it look like one piece, Primed it and sprayed the lot Gloss 2K Black, Was fairly happy with the result being it was sprayed out the back of the workshop on cardboard,
Putting it back in the car without scratching it was the fun part, But after a few hours of struggling like a stunned fly i got it in place and assembled it, I Decided to go back to stock V8 Springs to stop the bottoming out and scraping due to the HQ Stubs lowering the car,
The springs almost claimed 3 fingers in total when my You Bute home made spring compressor let go and the next best thing was my fingers, Broke the tip of my ring finger and nerve damage lost feeling for 2months and fractured my middle and other ring finger when the spring let go and slammed them against the stub axle :spoton:
Ive also had the steering rack rebuilt, Replaced the Universal coupling, and rebuilt my steering column upper bearing and modded the lower bearing to a sealed unit.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

A few other things ive done, as im going for the NO Bullshit engine bay look, Try to no wires in sight, No battery, canisters washer bottles ect,
Removed cable bonnet release and made a manual release through the grille that you cannot see,
All the wiring from engine bay has been pulled through the gaurds and chassis rails, Homing all the headlight relay and hi beam,Washer bottle ive also mounted up under the drivers garud, the lines run up the drainage holes and round the wiper arm assembly Used a pair of commodore wiper jets because they are very small and easy to mount,
Back wired the wiper motor through itself and removed the connector, again i done the same with the Blower Fan motor, all you see is the units and no wires going in or out.
Moddified the Blower fan box for the injector rails to clear,
Finished the power windows and have them operating very well
Fuel tank has also been treated to alot of dent removal and a coat of Gloss 2K Black.
found my 'new'ish brake lines all cracked and went to shit, so i purchased a set of Braided brake lines,
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ive had a heap of parts chromed that includes, Bonnet hinges and release mechs, Door strikers, Scuff plates,Altenator fan, Alt Brackets, Wiper motor housing, Fan motor assembly, Front brake cradles, Brake booster
And ive polished- Rocker covers, Timing cover, Water pump, Manifold, injector rails, Injectors, brake calipers, Brake mastercylinder, all nuts bolts and washers for crossmember, Will do the heads once they arrive, Ive got a full set of stainless steel cap hex head bolts to assemble the engine.

just over 2 years ago i purchased a VQ Statesman that has become a parts donor car for my build up,
I stripped the wiring harness out and modified it to the point it will run the engine only,
About 8 weeks ago LXDAMO Come round and helped me wire it all into my hatch, and done an awesome job!
I cleaned up all the wires and ran them out of sight up behind the heater box the plugs for the engine drop through into the trans tunnel, The ECU Has been mounted on a panel just next to the glove box and the ign module has been mounted in the passenger kick panel, all relays, MAP Sensor and fuse box also hidden up under the dash.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

My Interior is being re trimmed aswell, I havnt seen any of it yet, but am told it looks good, Doors, seats and roof lining are all being done, I managed to get hold of a roll of Slate black suede, and picked out a black and grey silver mesh insert for seats and door trims, All the stich has been done in a Silver French stitch along with the armrests done in suede with french stitch
Staying with standard back seat, and have gone the path of putting in VT Commodore seats for the fronts, But they have been reshaped that much they dont look like VT Anymore, The headrests have also been permanently removed
Modified the brackets so the front tops sit flush with the rear tops, and also so i can still have the electric seats to operate.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Im off to england in 2 weeks for 3 Weeks holiday, So fingers crossed when im back ill be able to buckle down and get things happening a bit quicker,
My aims are to have it running and engineered by the end of the year If not very early next year for the summer cruising.

Ill keep this thread updated a bit more often too,

Cheers
Marc :spoton:

#22 _Chriskoss-79uc_

_Chriskoss-79uc_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:13 PM

Damn mate It's looking so tidy now.. and that engine.... *drooool*! :clap: :clap: :clap:

#23 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:04 PM

Posted Image

i want one :D

Nice work you really know how to polish!

Ben

#24 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:43 PM

well done Bubba.

XXKAZXX

#25 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

About time you got off the nest and put some pics up :tease: nice work.

Going to England to meet the outlaws, have fun and be nice now :D

Will have to have you and Lucy around again once you get back. The Hatchery has the flu atm so before you go away wouldn't be good. Giving you both that as going away gift would not be nice.

I'll have mine finished by the time you get back :tease: NOT.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users