summernats security(trolley pushers)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
189 replies to this topic

#51 _LH 333_

_LH 333_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:28 AM

You all know what summernats is and what its evolved to be over the past 8 or so years, dont expect an elegant family event because its always been about tits and burnouts, its just society has evolved, expect worse and more thats it, motorvation will and has created the enthusiasts event.

on a lighter note bring on tits and burnouts thats what i expect and thats what i love, park the torrie at home and take the commonwhore because i cant afford to get defected into the act get the car raped by bogans during the event then get assraped leaving by the coppers, i leave it for those who can afford it

Yet another Rant out

#52 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

Although I haven't been to either, it's no wonder the Muscle Car Masters is such a hit.....

Don't think I'd ever bother with the Nats now, would love to get to the Masters though.
I've been to Bathurst a few times... sounds like a day care centre compared to the Nats!!!

Doesn't sound like many enjoyed it... and the ones that did probably don't remember!!!

Edit: I must be getting old!!!

Edited by knoath, 08 January 2008 - 06:43 AM.

#53 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:01 AM

Just watched the local news, great footage of an Islander flogging a pissed idiot, then kicking him when he was on the ground.

Chic's response ? Maybe he was provoked ?

Chic also went on to state he would not even consider an alcohol ban.... "that would ruin the event"

I also heard from another source that Gary Myers and his car got touched up.

Interesting times.

He won't consider an alchohol ban because they are a major sponsor, it's a joke, you can't take alcohol in, but you can buy it there. Whats the point!?! I know one guywho has won Street Machine of the year twice who will never attend ever again after having his car damaged , and another guy who had his car damaged who will also never go again. We are talking about very expensive vehicles here, it really is unacceptable for the guys who pour their heart and soul into their cars to have them damaged at a major event. Has anyone noticed the trade stands have died off from what they were a few years ago too...
Tits and burnouts are all good, I don't see a problem with that, if a girl wants to get them out or wear something that shows them off, it's all good. Same goes for burnouts, if it's a safe environment, all good. What I don't agree with is guys abbusing girls that won't show themselves or damaging guys cars who will not do a burnout as they cruise around.

#54 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:45 AM

Although I haven't been to either, it's no wonder the Muscle Car Masters is such a hit.....

Don't think I'd ever bother with the Nats now, would love to get to the Masters though.

Isn't that the event where that XT falcon did a couple of burnouts on a parade lap and everyone wet their pants about it for the next 3 months? It's too far the other way. You can't win! It's either too square or too bogan.

EDIT: Actually you can win, its called powercruise!

Edited by UDLOSE, 08 January 2008 - 07:46 AM.

#55 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:57 AM

Isn't that the event where that XT falcon did a couple of burnouts on a parade lap and everyone wet their pants about it for the next 3 months? It's too far the other way. You can't win! It's either too square or too bogan.

EDIT: Actually you can win, its called powercruise!

Yes, thats the event, but it was more to it than just doing a burnout. It's simple, burnouts are not allowed at the Masters. For some reason, the GT club got a briefing prior to the laps, no other club did. According to the GT guys they were told no passing, no stationary burnouts but put on a show. One member took put on a show to be do a burnout. That member then entered the track, passed 5 or six cars so he was at the lead and in front of his mate who had the video camera. He then proceeded to carry out a burnout, and it was a big burnout, I was few cars back and all I could see was smoke. Now, he was removed and the rest of us lost our track time. Mark Oastler then wrote in AMC about a car that appeared to be having some trouble as it was blowing a lot of smoke, it was his attempt to lighten the subject and not offend anyone by saying basically if it wasn't a problem with the car then please don't do burnouts. The GT club then went on the warpath, defending it's member and abusing Mark and anyone who dared say they were wrong. They posted videos on youtube, but they only showed the lap, not the main burnout. They were in the wrong simple as that and there was a lot more to it that I will not repeat as I was told in confidence. Be it at the Summernats or any other event, burnouts and alike are for controlled environments simple as that due to public liability, I think some people seem to forget that fact.

#56 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:05 AM

It's a shame that it's eroding.

Oh well, it might become that they may have to use the money that they make on the alcohol they sell to the f*ckwits that can't hold their booze and be civilized,.. and spend it, to PAY the owners of decent cars to attend.

Or... it might become a slosh-pit of drunken abusive idiots jumping around a bunch of sh!tbox's doing skids.
Hey, but why go all the way out there and pay?.. We've got Noble Park, LOL.

Word of mouth is far more powerful than any hyped up advertising.

Cheers,
Rick.

Edited by TORANR AMORE, 08 January 2008 - 08:18 AM.

#57 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:09 AM

My old man has gone on about the nats and the shit that goes on for years.

I've harped on for years and years about going and he always says the same thing "too many drunk dickheads, car theives and people wanting to damage your shit"

I always thought it was a bit BS and he was just getting old/too conservative.

I really think he was just sick of the shit before anyone else was!

My missus now wants to go, and tried to tell me i was worrying too much about what goes on. I think i was right to say no.

Street machining and custom car culture is (in my opinion) these days more about the family side of things, and also the amount of females in the sport is growing (be that sport burnouts, motorkahna, or anything)

I think a little more respect is needed all round.

Alchohol seems to just turn things to shit.

I wasn't at Bathurst last year, but did the 1 carton ban do any good?

maybe a similar idea can be utilised (in a smaller amount obviously)

#58 _radar_

_radar_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:28 AM

Heres a link showing the Army. I don't think I would want to upset all those people

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zsc5WD_lyIo

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

#59 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

Here is a copy of the email I just sent to Chic Henry on this topic, I call on other entrants to write similar emails (but not the same) to him.

Hello Chic. My name is Mark Wear, I was entrant #38 at this year’s Summernats. I am writing to you to express my opinion on what could be done to make the event better in the future. Before I begin I should qualify myself. I have been coming to the Summernats since number 10, I am a Senior Constable of Police in Victoria. I am also promoting a regional car show, the Latrobe Valley Street Machine Show in Victoria. So I have the ability to see both sides of the fence, as a die hard petrol head, and a law enforcer.

This year’s Summernats was a great event, I had a great time with my HG Premier (UNRULY). But I felt I had to write to you and let you know what I believe NEEDS to happen with the even. You must restrict alcohol consumption at the event. All of the bad press is directly related to drunken men behaving badly. I love a drink just as much as anyone, but I don’t come to the Nats to get all drunk and make a fool of myself. It is a car event, not Oktoberfest. I know a majority of your revenue comes from having alcohol available, and the major sponsors, but it is also ruining your event. I will make a couple of suggestions that might help in making the event better:

#1 – Ban alcohol all together.

This will change the whole culture of the event,

Pros:

Drunken fools sexually abusing women will decrease.

Drunken fools assaulting each other will decrease.

Families may return.

Car owners previously too scared to attend will return.

Drunken fools jumping on and swarming cars will decrease.

You will get positive press from the initiative to make change.

The Police liquor licensing Inspector will be happy.

The security bill will be less.

I might think about bringing my wife along.

The list goes on.

Cons:

Your revenue will be less from alcohol sales.

Spectator numbers will be down initially, but will increase over time.

I won’t be able to get a beer (but it is not a big issue)

#2 Restrict alcohol sales:

If banning alcohol sales is not an option, then restrictions on its sale would be a step in the right direction.

At the cricket they only sell light or mid strength beer, this seems to slow the intoxication rate down somewhat, and sales are still high.

But a move that will make a huge difference is to sell alcohol only in designated bars, and not allow it to be consumed outside these bars. The VB bar and the JD bar can easily achieve this by having an army of well trained professional security on the gate restricting movement of alcohol. This move will make the cruise track a safer place as the drunks will hang around where the alcohol is being sold.

Another measure could be to open the bar’s at a later time, say 4pm. This will allow the entrants to have a quiet drink after the day’s event’s, and not allow people to become intoxicated throughout the day.

Chic, the event NEEDS to change for so many reasons. Your vicarious liability is huge when it comes to the behavior of the crowds. It appears to be socially acceptable within the EPIC grounds to sexually abuse women, racially abuse people, behave drunk in a public place etc etc. If your event does nothing to stop this sort of behavior, what is stopping someone taking action against you in the civil court jurisdiction? Example: A female is walking along the cruise track, gets sexually assaulted by a drunk, and becomes traumatized over the incident. You will be up for a decent fight at court proving you did everything in your power to prevent this sort of behavior. I could give you 10 examples of different scenarios where it would be easy for a good lawyer to take you to court. I would hate it to happen as I love the event and will keep coming back. But I hate the drunken behavior, hence the reason I stay off site and leave EPIC at about 3pm every day.

I heard you on the media saying that you are not considering banning alcohol at the event. For your company’s sake and the event as a whole I hope you reconsider. This needs to happen, and now is the right time.

Regards

Mark Wear

Traralgon, Victoria

#60 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:01 AM

What I think needs to happen if anything is to change, is for all the big dollar, big name cars to boycott the Nats next year, and for all those big name people to absolutely flood Chic Henry with letters, feedback, and video's/evidence where possible. That is a real shame that stuff like that is allowed to happen.... the inconsistency with the security guys is a real problem.

Stuff taking a car to the Nats when there's such a chance of some drunk bogan damaging it. That's what really pisses me off... the real hard-core screaming drunks that have no respect for the cars or the girls at all.... wouldn't it be magic if they had a nice car entered at the event themselves - I bet their attitude would suddenly change then!!!

It's all nice and easy being a spectator. Sadly, none of those guys will ever enter a car... they don't go for that reason. And there will never be a way to fix that problem in my opinion.... it's part of the culture, and it's just a real shame there's not a much higher percentage of genuine car enthusiasts.... nothing wrong with partying hard, drinking, and watching skids... but they just go that one level more into dickhead status and think they own the place.

Edited by LXCHEV, 08 January 2008 - 10:06 AM.

#61 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:05 AM

Bloody well said there Mark... now he just needs another few hundred similar letters from other entrants.

#62 _radar_

_radar_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:06 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cS03DuH6fGQ

#63 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:50 AM

yeah, just watched the video^^^^^, one can see it's ALL the security guards fault in that instance lol NOT.... But the crowd sure didn't help, "aww let him have some fun mate" wonder what they would have said if they had got run over?

Its a no win situation all round, they either kick out the guys doing illegal burnouts as each of them does one OR they turn a total blind eye and let the drivers do as they please. Neither way is satisfactory. This idea of picking on one here and there will never work. Summernats is all about testosterone and its a big pity many of the spectators only get theirs from a can.

Congrats to all those who entered, it takes a lot to put a decent car on show.

Cheers
Herne

#64 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:10 PM

Another great year for Yobbo Fest by the looks.
The death of this event is approaching if nothing changes and I couldn't give a Rats to be honest.

#65 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

i was there when that ^^happened^^....it was my first summernats and i was with a mate who's a summernats veteran and he said its getting shitter every year, we were gonna stay for friday and saturday but got tired and left friday arvo where the drunks were starting to come round, during the day it was quite nice but bout 4pm it went to shit.

what i found especially worrying was the hords of youngish yobs chasing after promo girls yelling to see some tits, seriously it wouldnt suprise me if one year there'll be a rape.....

and i can see the divide in security as previously mentioned a group of lazy arsed wankers who did nothing to disperse the hords of yobs and the group (or part there of) seen in the video.

things i liked:

the NOISE, its a car show it has to be LOUD (just my opinion)

the mateship of the entrants, its nice to be able to go up to a guy and his pride n joy and ask them how they did that, where they bought that etc.

this is how i would describe the nats all in all not really worth going to.

+ its not the cheapest day out.....(thats beside the point however)

john

#66 _radar_

_radar_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:20 PM

Summernats should be about cars and unfortunately it now has several obstacles in its way not making it the event which many car enthusiasts would like.

We all have a voice and in this circumstance we should use it to positively address this issue through the right channels.

It's a shame what has happened, if the organisers won't listen, it might just be a wise thing to avoid Summernats altogether.

There certainly are other car events which do listen and encourage enthusiasts to join in, and its those events which we should be supportive of.

#67 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

I wasn't at Bathurst last year, but did the 1 carton ban do any good?
maybe a similar idea can be utilised (in  a smaller amount obviously)

The one carton amount I reckon was an OK idea for Bathurst. Prob the one thing that helped moreso there was the high Police presence. Although I felt is was far too over the top, it seemed to work well.

One carton a day seems to be enough for me and I reckon should do most poeple fairly adequately. Maybe as part of your ticket into the Nats they could issue you with drink vouchers and you hand over one everytime you buy a drink. Limit of say 6 vouchers per ticket holder??

And Powercruise is a dry event, so why not this one?

Also, maybe Chic could hire Police in lieu of security guards as the Bathurst Shire did? Although, the Bathurst shire have more to loose as they are trying to promote the town/district for the whole community, businesses, etc, whereas primarily Chic's main concern/profits are/could be for his own benefit.

Thats my opinon ...

#68 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

vouchers arent a bad idea. something needs to be done

#69 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

I've read this thread with interest and it backs up a response to a question I had today "Did you go to the Summernats Tone?" My answer was simply "No, too many wankers and I wouldnt want Miss Big T to be subjected to the "show us ya tits" line every five minutes". I know its not a family event but neither does it seem to be a unisex event either. I have never been and nor will I. There are plently of more civilised events to attend; powercruise, gazzanats, burnout comps, drag days, car shows etc and I'm happy to wait a day or two for a beer if it means going to a dry event.

I reckon Gup has nailed it with the Powercruise format. Miss Big T and I had a great day when we went. We saw burnouts, cool cars, safe cruising and awesome powerskids and not one leech asked to see her boobs (thats my privledge, thank you very much!!). And when I got home the beer tasted great :D

Is it any wonder the pubilc views the modified car scene with disdain when the most publicised and well known celebration of our culture is simply a gathering of (generally speaking) drunken yobbos?

Thats my blah blah blah anyway.

#70 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

Further to what has already been discussed... I have just spoken with my son Matt who has spoken with his security company.

As stated here a few times, the main bone of contention was one group of security guards were egging people on to do illegal burnouts and the second group of security guards were obeying Chics instructions to NOT allow burnouts whilst doing laps.

Again its back to Chic who obviously needs proper advice and guidance in these matters.

Cheers
Herne

#71 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

I think taking my missus down would be dangerous.... not for her, for the blokes, one "show us ya tits" and i think she would throw some kicks and punches..... shes only a small girl, but she has a good face palm on her....

#72 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

Is it any wonder the pubilc views the modified car scene with disdain when the most publicised and well known celebration of our culture is simply a gathering of (generally speaking) drunken yobbos?

:spoton: :spoton: :spoton: :spoton:

I saw it on the news, some wally in an XD F&*d doing a burnout in the cruise area surrounded by mindless fools cheering him on - what if an axle breaks and it lurches sideways? What if he exceeds his driving ability and he runs over 50 people?

You know who will pay? Its all the genuine car enthusiasts, that's who.

And since when did we live in a country that treated women like dogs?

I'll drink a hundred beers with the best of them, but I usually do that at the pub, not at a car show. So Chick, is it a car event, a strip show, a pub, or somewhere you can get run over?

Time for a re-think.

#73 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

Further to what has already been discussed... I have just spoken with my son Matt who has spoken with his security company.

As stated here a few times, the main bone of contention was one group of security guards were egging people on to do illegal burnouts and the second group of security guards were obeying Chics instructions to NOT allow burnouts whilst doing laps.

Again its back to Chic who obviously needs proper advice and guidance in these matters.

Cheers
Herne

Herne, I'm sorry to say it, but after last year or was it the year before when the guy with the red LJ had his car damaged and his family terrorised while security stood by and in some cases encouraged it. I remember him posting up a letter he wrote to Chic and Chics response was average to say the least, almost suggesting that he can bring his car again but I really don't care. It seemed to be more about the money. I'm sure others will remember the letter and the posts on this forum and others. I think I'll be sticking to events like Toranafest where it's not all about the money involved. Summernats has got too big and the promotors no longer care it seems, as long as the money pours in, and it's certainly not a cheap event to attend.

#74 _StrayLH_

_StrayLH_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:29 PM

i remember every year getting a good spot on Northbourne was a MUST for the power-cruise. We had the whole family there. As did most of the public.

There was a flatbed truck with Chris Webb on the back playin tunes, followed by the best cars at the event doing what they were built for... DRIVING! From Natex up the main drag and turn around at Civic, then back again. I have one of them on an old video somewhere.... man THAT was what Summernats was all about. You could camp out all afternoon, watch the cars parade, you would get the odd tit, the odd chirp as someone dumped the clutch... but it was awesome.

Then the dickheads came... blocking the road to one lane... lifting the arse of cars to get them smoking... pouring oil on the road... f*ckwits that are just there for the party/hoonerism.

Thanks for ruining what the Summernats was all about.

And as for banning alcohol??? i recall when the major cricket grounds had a "One case per adult" rule come into play... Do people still enjoy going to the crick/sports events with the alcohol limitations??? Gee...

Summernats is finished. Come up with another name as it is not now and never will be as great as it once was.

#75 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:35 PM

Summernats is finished. Come up with another name as it is not now and never will be as great as it once was.

as someone mentioned earlier - "Yobbo Fest", but I recon YobboNats sounds fitting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users