- - - - -

LC 2Door S Project to XU1

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#101 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

or are they putting it together for you?

#102 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

Yes I will be masking it up and I will sit the head on the block and mask up things that shouldn't be painted, this way you don't have the gaskets painted aswel I think it is a cleaner look, I will also sit the rocker cover on and the sump I will put a few bolts in to hold that in place for painting also, because it has all new welsch plugs I want to mask them up aswell, even though you hardly see them,

#103 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

or are they putting it together for you?

Sorry not sure what you meant, "are they going to be putting it together for me",, they have assembled the block as far as pistons rings bearings and crank, but i am left to paint and assemble the head sump ect.

I hope I have answered your question, but feel free to ask anything else if you want to know anything else about the way im doing things or i am interested to hear any constructive critisism

#104 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

Nah that's all good, I didn't realize that you were having it assembled by the engine place. Looks like a great car. well done.

#105 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:36 AM

Nah that's all good, I didn't realize that you were having it assembled by the engine place. Looks like a great car. well done.

I was going to assemble it all myself and it would have made my story just that little bit better but I thought a couple of hundred dollars could save me alot in mistakes very quickly, as I have never done one before so I just haven't got the funds to splurge on my education learning by mistakes,, I will do the rest tho, so I can still say I built it in a way, if only a little way,
I think when its on the road I won't care who built it anyway.

thanks for your interest

#106 _johnharte_

_johnharte_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

Any more updates?

#107 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:14 PM

Any more updates?

Yes but I have just got over shingles,, oh so much fun,, and now trying to get rid of the flu, I will be taking a few more photos and putting them up soon, I can't remember what I have writen already but I have got my motor back from the engineers and it is on the engine stand now wrapped in plastic still and the head of coarse, I have to get the paint and paint the engine. I have also got the front end out including the K frame, the k frame and wish bones have all been painted with the POR 15 and the wishbones have had the bushes and ball joints pressed in, except for the ball joints that just bolt in they are still to go in. The diff is also out and in need to be cleaned up and painted, I am still to decide which centre to put back in, I have the 3.55 i think it is and also a 3.08.

I have also got a reasonable amount chromed and also some bits done in gold zinc

I am trying to get the welding finished off until I ran out of wire and then ran out of gas, once I get a new gas bottle for the mig I will get on to finishing the welding so I can then body shultz the underneath of the car and also I will do the inside floor from firewall to the top of the back seat rest.

thanks for your interest and I will get on to the photos as soon as I get over this flu, not fun had the worst headache of my life today and believe it or not it was a cup of good strong coffee that relieved the pain, suggested by my mum, where would we be without them, I know some are not quite what they should be but I am lucky with mine.

#108 _johnharte_

_johnharte_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

Yes but I have just got over shingles,, oh so much fun,, and now trying to get rid of the flu

Hope you havent been to mexico recently???

#109 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hope you havent been to mexico recently???

No thankfully neither has anyone I know, thats nasty

#110 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

USE THE 3.08 you should have enough power in motor and it won't rev as hard, mine works fine and is basically standard donk

#111 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:01 PM

USE THE 3.08 you should have enough power in motor and it won't rev as hard, mine works fine and is basically standard donk

Sounds good, the motor is going to be hot enough and plenty of power and I don't want it screaming going on a nice cruise, hopefully to the interstate torana fest,,, actually maybe not, won't want travelling chips on it, maybe after a while when it has a few chips that can't be stopped

#112 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

Just thought I would put this picture on here, I have seen how expensive the linkages are to buy for the tripple carbies so I decided to make my own and to do this I borrowed some from a friend and went and bought $16 of steel in the different rod and flat bar sizes that are required and went to it, I haven't yet drilled the holes as you can see but so far so good I think, the next step is to get some more gas for the mig and weld them up and also to make up the end brackets that have the brass bush in them.

Can someone tell me if the chrome linkage at the back looks original (except for the little odd bar coming out near the end I believe thats not original),
I am not to bothered if they are not but I hope they are and mine will be close enough and will look great once they are also chromed

Posted Image

#113 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:10 AM

I have now completed all of my linkages, making them from scratch, all I have to do is cut the thread on the rod that goes from behind the brake booster to the other side of the firewall, They were so expensive on the net to buy so I went and bought $16 of steel rod in a few different sizes and some flat bar. I have also made the brackets and the small plates that hold the brass bushes for the linkage to pivot in, I just have to get something to drill a bigger hole in the brackets than what I have at the moment and they will be ready for chroming.
I got a friend to set them up on his XU-1 and they worked beautifully.
I know I have been saying about more photos and they will be coming soon, life is just very hectic at the moment so I will get some new photos up soon, especially my linkages, Im so happy about them.

#114 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

Making a few of the linkages and selling them? lol

#115 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

I had actually thought about it but with very primitive tools it was relatively easy but time consuming to get them as close to original looking as possible and one of the hardest parts is the brackets and small housings for the brass bush's, If I didn't have so much to do on the torana I would consider it but then you have to come up with a price thats good making it worth while and also trying to keep them cheap, the two seem to contradict each other,
I found them very hard to find, never at wreckers and expensive on ebay just for the one linkage bar that runs parallel to the carbies with the 3 tags on it chromed I think they were $300, then there are the other two bars and the brackets, not sure if the ebay ones had brackets, mine have been say 4 days of my time as I only get a few hours a day and $16 of steel, I think about $40 to $50 where we get the chroming done.

If I ever decide to make any and sell them I will put them on the forum for sale pages, but at this stage its not likely, maybe when the cars finished if there are still no cheaper alternatives.

Making a few of the linkages and selling them? lol

#116 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:50 PM

if the brass bushes you are talking about are the enclosed ones on each end of the actuating bar they are avaliable on ebay and were not that dear from memory, I bought a couple of sets

#117 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

Well done good Job!

#118 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

Ill keep an eye out limo but I don't look there very often,,

Thanks for the comments about the linkages, I will take a picture of the whole lot tomorrow if I get time

#119 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

Here we go it did take longer than I anticipated but we have had a bit of trouble with the mercedes vito van that has kept me distracted from the torana

Here is the picture of the linkages I made and also the brakets and the smaller housings for the brass bushes,, I still have to make the brass bushes and also cut the thread on the longer linkage that goes along the firewall,, once the thread has been cut then I can put them all in to be chromed, Im going to keep this thread updated as I get things done to the final drive down the road

Posted Image

Edited by squirralien, 22 May 2009 - 09:43 PM.

#120 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:40 PM

The small housings for the brass bushes are made from the offcuts from the roof section that came from Limo on this forum,,, thanks limo, there is plenty of offcut left to complete the rust repairs around the torana, not that there is a great deal but good to know its all genuine holden torana steel, apart from the flutes but I will just tell myself that they are made from recycled Holdens.

#121 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

I got the thread cut on the firewall rod and its all good now, they are ready to go to the chromers, I have some other bits to go as well like my sump which I am conssidering getting done in gold zinc, rocker cover chrome, bonnet catch chrome, plus other bits that escape me at the moment.
I was going to do all the linkages and rods from the gearbox but I have decided to do them with black and silver paint as no one will be seeing them anyway once its all in the car.
I got a fly wheel from Limo and that looks good as far as flywheels go.
I still need the rear chrome moldings from the gutters and one drivers door chrome strip and a left rear quarter panel chrome molding.

#122 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

Ok its been a while since any updates,, not alot to report but things are still happening,, I have taken my linkages in to be chromed and my sump is going to be gold zinc,, not sure if that what i want but I saw it on a car resto show they had a new sump to put on a motor and it was gold zinc and it looked really good so i decided to give it a go, if I don't like it I will paint it red,,,,
I have also repaired the hump hole in the floor of the car, you can see how bad it was in previous pictures in this thread and its looking alot better now, also finished the drivers side floor, also the front half of the roof is finished where the sunroof was, well the hole, i didn't get the sunroof with the car,, anyway heres a few pictures that are self explanatory.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope all of your projects and cars are running well and how you wish them to be going, I am very happy with the way mine is turning out and the only thing I would change if I could is more time to work on it but thats life,, we are all just to busy these days.

I have 2 XJ6 series 2 jags that I want to move on and I am looking for an FB or EK Holden

#123 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

Posted Image

#124 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

Things are going slow but getting there,, Well here is a picture of my triple carbies with the linkages I made and the carby tags that I made today, I am going to get the letter stamps some time and stamp the correct numbers on there aswel.
They are not the best copies ever of the tags but they do it for me and they cost me $20 to buy the brass shim stock.
The linkages cost me $16 in steel and I am not sure but about $50 to get chromed and that includes the brackets and the end bush brackets, I also made the bushes out of an old brass tap and it all works brilliantly. It did all take a reasonable amount of time but that comes to me easier than the dollar so I did it the way it came to reality quicker.
I haven't got much welding to go now and I can start to body shultz and then the engine bay and then instal the front end and diff, get it on wheels and start the external body work,, I should have a couple of pictures up soon of the engine as that is a job coming up very soon, Painting it and putting it together, it will look great with the carbies and bits and pieces hanging off it.

I hope all of you are having good progress with what ever project you are doing and if your not go and get one,, I have an FB holden waiting in line to do next,, hope I live long enough to finish them both and enjoy them,, its slow going

Posted Image

#125 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:36 PM

Well finally I have got my motor together and its looking good,, here is a picture of it and I also have a nice shot of it with the head so I might put that up after
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users