• Guests

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#127 _OtG_

_OtG_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

Looks awesome mate - you are making great progress!

#128 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

Yes I am happy with it but the progress is painfully slow, I would love more time to work on it but there is always other jobs and of coarse my beautiful daughters care to tend to so the priorities are right but that doesn't make it all any easier
Thanks for your comment OtG

#129 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

Well I am getting a heap of the "I don't want to do it" jobs out of the way, I am half way through the welding now, the drivers side is done and the inside of the boot, I have the passenger side of the car which is mainly the front sill panel to do some speaker holes in the parcel shelf and kick panels and a small spot that is about the size of a mobile phone screen that is where the water bottle sits on the drivers side under the bonnet,,, then it time for the body shultz inside and out, paint the engine bay,, not sure between two Pak and acrylic satin black or flat black,, Interested in your opinions,,, then its time to get the suspension and diff back in to it.
So the I don't want to do it jobs im getting out of the way was the cleaning of the diff and control arms, I wire wheeled the diff to bare metal and have sprayed it black gloss (Used engine paint).
Ill take a few more photos soon I should have of the diff in bare metal but I was covered in black and orange paint from wire wheeling and rushing to get it done in time to pick up my daughter so I missed out on the photos,,, not to worry there will be more soon

Any feedback on preference on engine bay painting would be interesting,,,,, I like the idea of flat or a satin black as it is closer to original but a friend of mine sprayed his 2pak black and that also looks good,

Thanks

#130 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:48 AM

I found the dirtiest job on my LC Torana,, Laying under it using the wire wheel and going over the complete floor getting ready to body shultz, all around the tunnel where the gearbox sits was a mix of maybe 10% oil and 90% dirt, man was that dirty and messy coming off easy but all over my, even after a shower its still coming out of my ears,, yuukkk
Well nearly there, Ill get a few more pictures soon

#131 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

lol always put the scraper on there before getting the power tools out!

#132 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:52 AM

whoops to late,,,

#133 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:05 PM

looking great !

#134 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:30 PM

Thanks,, its very slow progress but as the body Schultz goes on and the front end and diff go back in ,, motor in and the body work starts (Exterior) the progress will be more evident and also more satisfying,
The door trim company has completely let us down, It was supposed to be 3 to 4 weeks and at about 4 & 1/2 months he was just waiting for carpet for the bottom of the door trims and at 5 months he couldn't get the right vynal so basically he hadn't started them,,, That sucks, Why do businesses say things when they can't deliver, the customer service and honesty in trading seems to be a lost art for many business owners in many different fields these days.

#135 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:41 PM

I have done some more, the floor is covered in body shultz inside and out now and I have welded up any un required holes in the engine bay
I just have to finish off the clean up of the welds and a smear of filler over some if required and its time to paint the engine bay
I am stuck between the standard semi gloss black look or the full gloss engine bay in black, any suggestions,, I am not even 100% sure
of what the XU-1 is supposed to be from factory, I would thing like a semi gloss to flat black.
I took some photos but the black of the body shultz just doesn't show to well in the photos so ill leave them out i thnk, but I will tell you
it does all look good and I am happy with it so far.

#136 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

mate things are looking good with your project!!
semi gloss paint code 04 149

#137 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

thanks for that,, i recon i will go that way, it will allow the motor to be more centre of attention under the bonnet,, thanks

#138 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:38 AM

I missed the updates and engine shots. Looking good. Any update pics of the finished hard work clening up that under carrige?

#139 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:11 PM

I will try and get some better pics of it that don't just look black

#140 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:33 PM

Just read through this whole thread! Great story mate! Very inspiring and your doing an awesome job!!!! Can't wait to see new pics!

#141 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

Well sorry its been a while but been so busy as life gets,, also its been so slow, but here is a few shots as I have just painted the engine bay today and front radiator support panel

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
A little bit of dry spray in the tunnel from painting the engine bay, Im not bothered with that

Ill try and get stuck in to it now as I have made a goal of the end of this year to have it finished,, fingers crossed for a miracle

Edited by squirralien, 13 February 2010 - 07:53 PM.

#142 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:51 PM

you can see from the picture that I have cut down the original battery tray to the size of an XU-1 tray and re positioned it to the measurements of a friends XU-1 and also managed to keep the original drainage hole in the same position, cost a bit of time but saved me money. Not everyones choice I know but it serves my purpose of a budget XU-1 that will be a knock out when its finished (I hope)
I will put a couple of pics up soon of my friends XU-1 that he has just finished, mine will be almost identical in the end

#143 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:42 AM

Ok A friend came over and gave me a hand to put my front-end together, its looking nice with all new rubber, I wanted to steer away from nolathane and stick to the original rubber items, the whole front-end is painted with POR15 and some gold zinc with all the bolts in silver zinc, lighting was poor so i blanked out the background a bit to make it easier to see the front-end

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Well the next thing is to fit it to the car and also reassemble the diff and put that back in the car, once its on wheels I will get the motor in the car and gearbox and then maybe work on getting it running and start the body work, I will be wrapping the engine and frontend up with good thick plastic and duct tape,
Im starting to push to get time to work on it now as my friend just got his on the road the other week and its very motivating to see it as mine will almost be the same including colour (Yellow Dolly), Ill look for a couple of pictures of his car and put it up here

#144 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:11 AM

Well It looks like i forgot to save them when i re formatted, Ill have to take some more

#145 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:14 AM

mate you are doing very good work there, its really a credit too you,,, with the upper ball joints dont forget to paint the nuts and bolts, as thay will take on a rust look once there wet a few times, it might be a good idear to get them zinced aswell, and thay will look heaps better too.

keep going your doing great.
cheers gong

#146 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:48 AM

thanks for your comments gong, i didn't think of the nuts and bolts for the ball joints, I will put maybe some clear over them to keep them safe from the rust, don't really want to take them out now to get them zinc'ed, but some clear will do a good job while they are nice and clean, the clear can also seal up against the wishbones slightly as well

#147 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

These nuts and bolts should be left loose and should only be tightened when the car is totally assembled and back on its wheels.
Best done on ramps.

Attached Files

#148 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

Thanks Rodomo I will back them off a bit until its installed,, thank you

These nuts and bolts should be left loose and should only be tightened when the car is totally assembled and back on its wheels.
Best done on ramps.

#149 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:40 PM

Ok, I have got the front end in the car and also the diff is also in the car with alot of help from a friend of mine who has his car on the road now and Ill put some pictures up of his XU-1,
My Xu-1 will look the same basically and check out the number plates,, he got hdt xu1 and i got gmh xu1. Well I am finally happy with the progress now and its starting to look like its getting somewhere, I have to get some shockers for mine and a master cylinder and then we can do the brakes, then the car will go back on its wheels, just stocky uglies for now so we can get the motor and gearbox in the car and then its time for the body work to start, man am I looking forward to that, I just can't wait, I drove my friends XU-1 and what a nice car to drive, comfortable and what can I say just a nice car to drive and so many people have told me they are a real pig to drive,, maybe they drove them after they were all worn out I don't know,
Anyway enough with the yabba and on with a few picture, you will know which is which,, my front end, diff and My friends car that he recently finished.
Oh and this is his youtube link for his progress so have a look and rate it or leave him a comment if you like

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My car will almost look the same only I am going for the satin black engine bay where he went for the 2Pak gloss black

#150 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Name:Blake

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

hey squirrel. your car is coming along very nicely, i loved the pictures of the front end all done, that looks excellent, im 15 years old and also live in adelaide, and im doing an LC XU1 replica, going to be painted in linamint, ive just finished wirebrushing my front end and today its off to the sandblasters, and i should get it back tomorow. if everything goes well it should end up looking as good as yours! also where did you get all your front end parts like bushes, and ball joints?

Cheers Blakey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users