new engine

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#26 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

hi,
just an up date on new engine all i have left to do now is dowel crank, make 2 new valves (cut down ferrea chev ones),
get a new set of valve springs and retainers ,collets for head,then assemble it,it now has a little less comp than before as
smaller bore size it now has 11.20 to 1. i have put a pic of accumulator that i fitted today now i just need to touch up under
it as that was were the alcohol fuel tank used to be and we over filled it a few times that is why the paint has gone to sh@t
then i have to hog out the red motor belhousing to fit over blue motor clutch. so hopfully soon it will go.

Thanks Hayden

Posted Image

#27 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:12 AM

hi,
have doweled the crank and have also repainted engine bay also have modded new belhousing and have just finished putting
webers back on the 9 port mani and set up linkages to get a start.
still have to do head and valves.

Thanks Hayden

Posted Image

#28 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:58 AM

Hey mate, I'm new here but like what I see, are you gonna raise the comp again ?

#29 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

nz toranaman,
nah as we ran 12.79 with 10to 1 before and also we would have to flycut the pistons to get much more out of it.
thanks Hayden

#30 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

Hi,
more progress have fitted some better bonnet hinges to lc now have made 1 valve but the exhause one we tried to use a ferrea std chev one but we would have only had about 1 mmabove collet grove so we are waiting for 1 new chev ferrea valve to arrive will be here this week then i have to machine it to suit as the cly head guy has now got head readdy for new springs collets and stuff so hopefully next week i can start to wash parts ready for assy also have found that we need a diffrent set of pushrods this time to get geometry correct.

Thanks Hayden

#31 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

Just another update,
Finaly engine is done except, waiting on a set of cromoly pushrods a couple of hundered thou longer than the ones we were using here is a few pics of engine now it is painted dont be fooled by the 3.3 on the block it has got a red crank to match the red head. just need to get new bosh starter motor for it should get one next week.

Thanks Hayden

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 _booral1_

_booral1_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:06 PM

Looks good mate,the look of that head you have just made me step back in time about 12 years ago,i had one that looked very similar to yours.The motor was a 208 stroker(186 block) Hears some pics of mine,sorry for the picture quality. Attached File  101_0921.jpg   56.55K   115 downloadsAttached File  101_0922.jpg   46.69K   201 downloadsAttached File  101_0920.jpg   61.94K   120 downloads_0920.jpg]

#33 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:55 AM

Drag lc what are the items above the centre bolts on the side plates?
Warren

#34 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:56 AM

Posted Image

These are the biggest ports I've ever seen on a Holden head!!!

How did you ever get a manifold gasket to seal??? I was looking at Hayden's thinking the same thing until I saw your pictures.

BTW nice work Hayden. Make sure you post a video when you get it running.

Edited by CraigA, 17 February 2009 - 07:58 AM.

#35 _booral1_

_booral1_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:14 AM

Posted Image

These are the biggest ports I've ever seen on a Holden head!!!

How did you ever get a manifold gasket to seal??? I was looking at Hayden's thinking the same thing until I saw your pictures.

BTW nice work Hayden. Make sure you post a video when you get it running.

Just used a normal extractor gasket and match ported it.Had a bit of trouble at first and also stuffed a inlet manifold trying to match port it.But it did seal.

#36 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

Warren,
they are -8 an fittings for breathers .i think it will be quite fumey this time with the gapless rings.if it gets to fumey i will have to put a vacum pump on it,aparently we should have one anyway so i have been told.

we also just use the std manifold gasket with minimal dramas.

Thanks Hayden

#37 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

Hayden how much torque do you set the head nuts to? on the back of the box mine came in it uggests 65lbs-ft for 7/16 studs. or should i use the standard holden setting instead?

#38 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

From what i gather you should do them to the ARP specks. Apparently studs dont need as much torque as bolts do.

Think i did mine to 70, not sure though.

Hayden???

Cheers.

#39 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:30 AM

i have done them to 76ftlbs as per the gasket specs but i think if you have the proper head studs you should only go the recomended stud torque we go the gasket specs as we also have the spacers underr our nuts studs too long.

Hayden

#40 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

here is another pic engine in now just waiting for pushrods still if they arrive today it will start on weekend hopefully :3gears: .

Hayden

Posted Image

#41 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

Real clean engine bay, nice work mate. Looks like it has mumbo..

Herne

#42 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

Nice job Hayden, looks tough.

#43 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:53 PM

Do you need me there to tweak the accumulator for you Hayden??

#44 _booral1_

_booral1_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

Nothing like a set of webers hanging off a holden 6.
Looks good mate.

#45 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

if you think it will help dj why not

i now have the push rods will fit tommorow just hoping they wont foul on std rocker cover.

Cheers Hayden

#46 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hi,
started engine today but not without dramas as i was fitting pushrods rockers and stuff the engine has been left overnight with radiator full as i adjusted cyl 6 intake and then turned engine ouer i hered somthing hitting ground i look over and it was like a fountain of water coming from cyl6 plug hole i thought sh%t where is that coming from but i trace it back to a pin hole in the mods we did years ago on head was coming from the thread we tapped in the top of the inlet port so i just put some thread sealant on bung and did up as tight as i thought and left it for a few hours then pressure tested it it seamed ok but i have been told to get a certain stuff carnt reamber what it is but apparently it mixes with coolant as chemi weld does not mix as well.
but it started quite well and hopefully will drive it tommorow just set timing ans adjusted carbs.

Thanks Hayden.

#47 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:38 PM

Hi all,
well this engine has been going for a little while now (not that it has been driven much though)we have a little low oil pressure due to bearing clearances am still sorting that one out and with the 38mm chokes fitted to webers we are having to do a fair amount of changes main jet and air corrector wise.but have performed a leak down test to see how the rings are beeding in well i think the effort i went to get a gapless ring pack to suit has paid off they range from one @ .5% and one @ 1.5% the rest are 1% so i gather she is sealed up ready to race now hehe. :tease: so i have made another spacer for oil pump releif valve will fit tommorow and will try other jets then aswell.

to give you an idea the best leakdown we have got for acl pistons and rings is 3% to 5% .

Thanks Hayden

#48 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:54 AM

Nice to hear about the engine running mate, I hope it comes together soon. I also run the 38mm chokes. be interested on your final choice of jets..

Thanks

Graham

#49 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:22 PM

looks like i have got it close to where it needs to be with jetting wise reading the lm-1, will have to get some more air correctors before we race this in the cold weather

have also fixed oil pressure problem now aswell i had lost my little releif valve spacer made another one and we now have 60psi @ 6,000rpm so looks like i have fixed 2 probs today.

But one more has arisen it seems that the plugs after a run down road number 6 comes back wet with fuel twice now i have swapped the hole jet arangement around but still stayed at number 6? also i drive this back home gently for about 1kilometer or so. is it possible that the seat at the bottom of carb it slightly dammaged? will drain and have a look i supose here are some pics of pluges.
Thanks Hayden

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

Dam....
I know you are very knowledgable and with that previous motor it was farkn good, I am but a beginner in getting the 202 motivated but off the top of my head.....

Dizzy cap clean?
Checked your leads in case one has been damaged since last time used?
Do all carbs have similar settings in idle adjustments as it may give a clue?
Progression holes clean and same amount in each carb?
Is there fuel being pressurised into the carb causing flooding after you shut down?
Float levels to high?
Swap plgs around?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users