new engine

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#51 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

Hi,
yes dizzy cap clean have ohms tested all leads they are good idle adjustments were a little out adjusted them progression holes seem ok float levels are good had tops of thisarvo did notice it was running rough whith last jet change when idling so it is more than likley them not balanced properly will do that before driving again.

Thanks Hayden

#52 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:49 AM

#1 appears to have some colour aswell.Are you using petrol of methanol?
Warren

#53 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:14 PM

half rf100 and half premium from bowser

#54 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:26 PM

half rf100 and half premium from bowser

what the rest of the fuel system? pump, lines, reg?

#55 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

the fuel system is as follows:
edelbrock 6 valve 130gph fuel pump, magnafuel mp-9633 2 port reg then going into the cool can then splitting into 3 for carbs we still have std fuel tank in boot and suction line but have -8 from pump to reg and -6 to cool can and carbs but we have had fuel starvation issues before that is when we fitted the edelbrock fuel pump.

Louie has told me some things to check on carb today so will do them.

Thanks Hayden

#56 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

the fuel system is as follows:
edelbrock 6 valve 130gph fuel pump, magnafuel mp-9633 2 port reg then going into the cool can then splitting into 3 for carbs we still have std fuel tank in boot and suction line but have -8 from pump to reg and -6 to cool can and carbs but we have had fuel starvation issues before that is when we fitted the edelbrock fuel pump.

Louie has told me some things to check on carb today so will do them.

Thanks Hayden

what exactly is a cool can? do you have any pictures of it?
cheers

#57 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

yeh on last pic of engine in engine bay it is the aluminium cylinder type thing with the fuel hoses going in and out.

Thanks Hayden

#58 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

found problem now just have to fix it we have to much fuel pressure and float level to high.

Thanks Hayden

#59 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

yeh on last pic of engine in engine bay it is the aluminium cylinder type thing with the fuel hoses going in and out.

Thanks Hayden

i was just curious as to what it does? is it like a surge tank?

#60 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

it cools the fuel for a denser fuel/air mix, wont make much difference for street driving but can make a difference at the strip

#61 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

yeh only use at strip just has alluminum tube coiled up inside it , you just put dry ice in it but you have to be on top of afr when doing it to get any real benifet out of it.

Thanks Hayden

#62 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:37 AM

Sweet... glad you found it ok, Dunno what you run but i run mine at 2.5-3 PSI using an adjustable regulator that go from 1-5PSI in 1/2 increments. I have never needed to change from the factory black motor pump to feed it.

I'll be pulling my motor down after this weekends meet and may remove my webers and return the fuel injection on it just to see the difference.

#63 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:40 PM

Hi,
nz toranaman, getting closer to final jeting but obviously will still be changed slighly to suit weather conditions proberly 155/160 mjets and 180/190 ac i think that will be very close to the money as it had afr 12.2 all the way till just before the limmiter it dropped to 11.9 so still a bit fat with 160mj 170ac so have fitted 180ac now but not tried it yet. then will try 155m/j .

have fitted a holley low pressure reg spring to the magna fuel reg as before it was 51/2psi was the lowest it could go but now i have it set at 31/2 psi.

Thanks Hayden

#64 _ballrash_

_ballrash_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

Good to hear your up and running Drag lc, i'd be wary of number 6 plug still. If you had overfuelling i'd expect to see cylinder 5 plug wet also (as both throats of the carb will feed both cylinders), unless you are using port dividers, then disregard this comment.

#65 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hey Drag lc I was just browsing my log book I run with this engine so I can document all changes etc trying to find something extra.

The webers I have are 3 x 45DCOE 13 Made in Italy, I was told Spain made some webers.
Pumps = 50
Idle = 55F9 (These were 45 F9)
AC = 200
Emul = F2
Main = 145

Dunno if this helps also I am open to any suggestions as to my possible jetting as well as I was told the carbs came off a 320hp 202

#66 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:09 AM

pm sent

#67 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

hi drag lc what size and brand tyre are you using on the rear at the drags ?

#68 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

Hi, we are using a m/t 22x8" slic tyre

Thanks Hayden

#69 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

i take it that they are 15 inch, do they hook up well?

#70 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:08 PM

yeh they are 15s no they dont as they have no side wall flex would recomend changing diff gears ar diffrent rim size 13's as we run 3.9 diff gears. what we found was if you didnt do a large burn out basickliy dont bother staging becuse when you hold it on the limmiter and step of clutch we found the hotter the better yes we tried a fair range of pressure changes aswell.

Thanks Hayden

#71 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

thanks for that i was wondering about the small sidewall, youve answered my question, cheers

#72 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

Hey Drag lc I was just browsing my log book I run with this engine so I can document all changes etc trying to find something extra.

The webers I have are 3 x 45DCOE 13 Made in Italy, I was told Spain made some webers.
Pumps = 50
Idle = 55F9 (These were 45 F9)
AC = 200
Emul = F2
Main = 145

Dunno if this helps also I am open to any suggestions as to my possible jetting as well as I was told the carbs came off a 320hp 202

Heres another setup from a Targa car from NZ, may give another perspective.
Carburettors 45mm Webers Side Draft
Chokes 38mm
Aux Vent 4.5
Main Jets 140mm
E Tube F16
A Correction 210
Pump Bleed 40
Pump Jet 0.45
Idle Jet 55F8
Needle Valve 250

#73 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

Hi,
just a quick up date on this engine i have been rooting around trying to get somesort of tune in this engine with help from Louie (purple LC) as it is now fitted with 38mm chokes but that is another story altogether.i have now decided to fit a moroso vacum pump to this engine to help get the the most performance from this combination the first step has been to remove the trusty chev 6 valve block mounted fuel pump as that will be where we will be pulling vacum from so i have now fitted a magnafuel quick star 275 pump with filter i had laying around here and fitted the trusty system 1 fuel filter we used for the alcohol set up yes the quick star fuel pump is alcohol tolerent aswell :spoton:i just modufyed an old fuel tank sender unit as i have 5/8 pick up and 1/2 return in xu1 type tank.i have a huge fuel cell here aswell but it looked to much work to fit.

We will be sucking from fuel pump plate then to catch can then have moroso vacum pump sucking from there. have also been doing a few calculations as the moroso pump maxum rpm is 6,000 and they make a 5" pully for them so with all my calculations as we are spinning engine to 7,000rpm the biggest drive pulley i can have is 4.88" so have got a old comie pulley arangement im prolly going to try that first as there is very little room for much else between radiator and crank bolt on front.

oh yeah got my self a new optima red top battery aswell

Thanks Hayden

Posted Image

Posted Image

#74 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

Oooooo more shiny things.

Tweaked your exhaust ports yet??

I hear Petes mates mate is getting pretty good at them if you need a hand.....

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 01 May 2009 - 06:58 PM.

#75 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

hi, i have finaly got this pump going but i have found that you really do need to have them rubber mounted for them to be quite so im doing that atm but what i was looking for is, it has a preset bypass set at 18psi and i am looking at lowering that as i am only using 3psi for carbs but i have herd of people running out of fuel at the start at the strip but would like to know how little fuel pressure i need the pump to be pumping up to the front i guess it will be 3psi plus what eva the forces are on the fuel at the strip as it is getting pumped to front i guess i could bring it back to 10psi as most holley pumps prolly only pump that much any ideas?, as then this will also take some load of this fuel pump aswell.

Thanks Hayden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users