HEATER not working / Fog

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

Sorry this is a two for one.

My Heater/Aircon blower is working..but it is not blowing warm air. My Aircon is DC'd off the serpentine.

Any tips/tricks for getting it working again? Where does it actually get the heat from?

My windows fog up really quickly in these cold melbourne mornings, Is there anything i and rub into the glass to stop this happening?

#2 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:38 AM

Got any water in your radiator?

#3 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

Nope. Only coolant.

#4 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

I don't know if A/C versions are set up differently but normally the hot air comes from the heater core located in the heater box under the dash. It could be blocked, not allowing hot water to pass through it (that's assuming it's connected).
Otherwise check all the linkages on the vent controls on the passenger side of the heater box. Maybe the flap just isn't opening.

Theoretically, clean glass doesn't fog up.
I'm not sure but maybe that Rain-X stuff might work???

#5 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

Howdy, My understand is that the coolant from the rad flows through tot he heater box and passes heat through osmosis.

There is plenty of preasure there and it does change when I click it from cool to warm.

I had to take off the tubign recently to get at my head and i lost some fluids then. There is still heaps of coolant in there.. but maybe it needs a top up. Will try that

#6 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

I don't know if "osmosis" would be the correct terminology.
Does your system have a tap on the heater lines? Maybe yours is set up differently to mine.
In my car (not A/C) the coolant flows continuously through the heater core and the heater control simply raises and lowers a flap inside the heater box, directing the air either through the core (for hot air) or around the core (for cool air).

#7 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

ive found that if you get the side of your hand and wipe the inside of the windscreen it works... you only have to do it a few times during your trip... or even better if you have a handtowel in ya car a quick wipe with that also works.

Its a torana the windows are spose to fog up!

#8 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

Things to check.

Does the heater warm the cabin if its turned on?

If yes.....

Heater core is functional. You have a control flap problem in the heater box.
Not sure with Toranas, but Commodore flaps used to break.
Check operation of cables on side of box and on heater control.

If no......

Check that the 2 hoses passing through the firewall are connected.
There probably shouldnt be a valve in the system, but if there is check that it opens.
You may have a blockage. Disconnect both hoses from the motor and connect a water hose to check there is flow through the internal core.

Try those and see what happens.

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

If this is a factory air car, the have a vacumn operated tap near the thermostat housing. If thats rusted out, it may not be opening, so therefore no hot water. These are available still, I have seen them for sale on ebay and I think Rares have them. Just checked, rares have them, part number HT1002.
The next thing as has been said is the flap on top of the heater. When you lever from cold to hot on the dash, look at the heater box on the passenger side and see if the lever is moving on the end of the cable. If it's not, it may be disconnected.

#10 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

Just drive with the windows down jol, and wear a beanie, and a rain coat! LOL

#11 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

Jol point being, If you have no water in your radiator, or if its low the heater core maybe leaking,

thus making the carpet wet and windows fog up.

I take it, it worked before?.

Your windows should only fog up on the inside if its wet inside the car.. the heater or heat of the engine will make the water
evaporate and condensate on the glass...
Darren

#12 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

Just drive with the windows down jol, and wear a beanie, and a rain coat! LOL

Jol doesn't suit a beanie, maybe one of those fluffy russian hats! to cover his ears..

#13 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

Jol before going to work!!

Posted Image

HAHAHAHAHA

#14 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

I would kill for a one of them hats... or a deer stalker. Pure SEX!.. although it does kinda look like a yak testicle.

Check the rad, it was a little low on fluids.. made sure liquid was from rad to thermo, gave the tubes underneath the thermo a squeeze and felt some liquid. Ran car for 5 mins.

Tube from Rad to Thermo quite warm. Tubes under rad to firewall/mani not warm at all. Would it be a fair call to say the Thermo is cactus? I haven't opened it up as thats a weekend job.

Checked all other suggestions and they all check out fine.

#15 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:17 PM

Your windows should only fog up on the inside if its wet inside the car.. the heater or heat of the engine will make the water
evaporate and condensate on the glass...

People breathing inside the car can also do it, why it may fog up close to the driver, maybe a snorkel for the driver.

Have you checked that the heater hoses are connected, someone may have disconnected them to "fix" a leak.

If you air works, you can run that to reduce humidity in the cabin, it should defog your windows quickly even if it isnt blowing directly on them.

However, if its very cold depending on the design of your ac system the system will cycle off most of the time and not do the job.

Edited by torbirdie, 29 April 2009 - 11:24 PM.

#16 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

Also it has not worked before that I am aware off cos I've never tested it.

There is humidity in my car for sure due to a lovely leak which i am yet to find ... comes up under my glove box and drips (little drips) onto the front pass floor.

Also its never been this cold with the tory before.

Worth checking thermostat?

#17 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

To me that sounds like a leaking heater core.

Do the hoses run from your water pump and the thermostat housing... I know this may sound dumb but on some new water pumps the hole where the heater hose mounts is filled and you have to drill it out. That could be causing it.

Josh

#18 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

There is humidity in my car for sure due to a lovely leak which i am yet to find ... comes up under my glove box and drips (little drips) onto the front pass floor.

Sounds like it's rusted out the air intake box (Pellum???) under the Cowell panel in front of the windscreen. There are drain tubes in there on either side that block up very easily so water can't escape. Common problem.

#19 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

There is a chance your heater core is stuffed.

But before you get too excited, forget your thermostat at this stage.
If it was stuffed the car would be overheating to buggery.
One of your heater hoses will come off the water pump. Disconeect it and see if the hole has been drilled out to the pump.
I remember water pumps from 6cyl ages ago that didnt have the hole drilled out for use in cars with no heater.

Edited by Rockoz, 30 April 2009 - 12:40 PM.

#20 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

This may be the source of your leak. Top panel was cut off to repair. If not repaired will end up much worse like the below photo.

Posted Image

#21 _uncleian_

_uncleian_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

oh no.....more cutting,drilling,welding and painting..........is that an Ambulance i can hear Jol. :tease:

#22 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

Rockoz, excellent advice mate - I know she had factory Air but never considered that the heater may not be enabled. I concur about my car not over heating.

Hatch/Roo - I am not sure which panel this is you are referring too.. i guess its under the dash somewhere? I need to cut into a panel to see it??

#23 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

A thermostat that is frozen open, or not fitted at all will cause the motor to run cold and your heater not to be effective, it will also damage the engine in the longer term as it won't reach proper operating temperature - particularly in the colder months.

#24 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:48 PM

ive found that if you get the side of your hand and wipe the inside of the windscreen it works... you only have to do it a few times during your trip... or even better if you have a handtowel in ya car a quick wipe with that also works.

Its a torana the windows are spose to fog up!

lol pmsl

Herne

#25 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:05 PM

Ok..what is more likely the thermo stuck open of the LH S with factory Air not having having a heater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users