LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:46 PM

Hatch/Roo - I am not sure which panel this is you are referring too.. i guess its under the dash somewhere? I need to cut into a panel to see it??

Check Grahams (LX5008) project on his SS restore, he had to do the plenum as well and did a great job of documenting his work.
http://www.gmh-toran.......ic=5254&hl=
Important pics from his thread,
Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

Jol take the heater fan out and have a feel around inside, i still reckon its the heater core!

#28 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

Lots of different bit's of information flowing around here. Lets deal with the issues. So far I see the original post says the fan works, but no hot air is coming out and that in the second post it appears hot water is not flowing to the heater core. Would that be right? The leak is most likely a seperate issue as the heater core is in the centre of the car.
Firstly, the water, it sounds like it is not going to the core, yet, I haven't seen if there is a tap fitted or not? Is it fitted? You said it's airconditioned, is it factory air or not? If it's factory air it should have a tap as I showed earlier, if dealer fitted or aftermarket, it may have a tap fitted also. Is there a tap? If there is a tap, check this first. If not, the core is blocked. Remove the hoses both sides and shove your garden hose in and flush it out both directions till the water flows clearly. Thermostat shouldn't be the problem at all. Is this a V8 or a 6? Check the fittings on the pump are not blocked also

#29 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:18 AM

To be clear the leak is not related to the heater issue in any way, the leak is an external issue.

Cheers Red, Yeah am gonna give it a flush out tonight.

It is factory air.

What I am unclear of is where the pump is located - I can follow from the rad through the bits and bobs to the firewall and back out again.. so is the pump on the other side of the firewall?

The heater core would be where exactlly?

When you say "tap" do you mean the sockets that the hoses connect to on the firewall?

#30 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

To be clear the leak is not related to the heater issue in any way, the leak is an external issue.

Cheers Red, Yeah am gonna give it a flush out tonight. TO FLUSH IT, LEAVE THE HOSES ATTACHED TO THE CORE, REMOVE THEM FROM THE OTHER END AND SHOVE THE GARDEN HOSE IN

It is factory air.

What I am unclear of is where the pump is located - I can follow from the rad through the bits and bobs to the firewall and back out again.. so is the pump on the other side of the firewall? tHE PUMP IS THE WATER PUMP ON THE FRONT OF THE BLOCK IS IT A V8 OR A 6 I CAN PUT UP SOME PICS ONCE I KNOW WHAT ENGINE YOU HAVE

The heater core would be where exactlly? YOU SHOULD SEE 2 HOSES GOING TO THE FIREWALL, THEY SLIDE OVER THE PIPES GOING INTO THE HEATER CORE WHICH SITS INSIDE THE BLACK BOX IN THE CENTRE OF THE CAR UNDER THE DASH

When you say "tap" do you mean the sockets that the hoses connect to on the firewall? NO, THE TAP (LOOK ON THE RARE SPARES SITE AT THE PART NUMBER I SUPPLIED) SITS IN THE HOSE GOING TO THE HEATER CORE. IT WORKS LIKE A TAP AT HOME AND SHUTS OFF THE SUPPLY OF WATER TO THE HEATER CORE, NORMAL TORANAS DON'T HAVE THIS, FACTORY AIR ONES DO.

#31 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

Posted Image

Take the fan off Jol and feel around inside at the top to see if its rusted out, the heater core is on the other side. Flush it out, if water pours inside the car its probably leaking....

Not factory air, I'm guessing, underdash air con unit... like a HQ aftermarket.. does it have a drain tube or something?? it must have for the condensation, is that blocked, picture of air conditioner please JOL, Red has been asking for a while, we have to see IT!!

if its on the other side leaking you will probably have a wet foot. you should be able to feel that.

Edited by darrenmark1, 01 May 2009 - 01:29 PM.

#32 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

Hi Guys,

I've taken some pictures and i think I know the issue.

Looking for advice on how to proceed.

Posted Image

IN Yellow is what i ASSUME is the water pump out for the heater? - This has not been drilled. - I assume i drill it out and then connect it directly to the firewall?

Posted Image

Here is the boy so you can see how the tubes run from beneath the thermo - one goes to the mani the other goes directly to the firewall.

This is where I am concern, if I put the on from the water pump onto the firewall..where do I put the one that is currently there?

Posted Image
Above is a picture to what I was told is the AC unit, if you follow the tubing back it leads to some form of compressed gas canister. Is this the AC? - Is it possible to run AC and HEAT at the same time?

#33 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

^ Take it that this is NOT factory air?

#34 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:07 PM

I have added arrows to one of your pics.
These are your heater hoses and they appear to be connected correctly from what I can see.
DON'T drill your water pump.

Attached Files

Edited by rodomo, 02 May 2009 - 11:08 PM.

#35 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:20 PM

Thanks Rob, I guess that's one less thing then.

I flushed the heater core today and there was no gunk, hose flushed it easily with no issue.

Soooo if my understanding is correct the heater core takes in the hot liquid that passes through the ran and manifold then onto the firewall, pass through the heat core (heating it up) and then the fan blows over this pushing the heat out with it - just like a Rad really.

BTW whats the reason for liquid being run through the manifold? - I make that presumption basned on where the tubes lead)

So with this reseach being done... the Fan does work (will investigate rust when i have time) is it looking more likely that the thermo is stuck open? Id if the water pump was dead surely the car would over heat quickly.

This throws up an interesting question, i've never seen my temp light come on ... ever. Should i come on when i turn my car on like my Oil does?

#36 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:30 PM

The water runs through the manifold to help vapourise the fuel.

Your temp light should come only while the engine is being cranked but not actually running. Kinda like a test to ensure the globe works in the dash.

Run the engine to operating temp. Feel the hose from the manifold where it enters the firewall.
It should be hot like the top radiator hose.
If it isn't, you have a blockage, probably the heater core.

Edited by rodomo, 02 May 2009 - 11:33 PM.

#37 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:35 PM

might try that now man. thanks

#38 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:42 PM

might try that now man. thanks

Which bit? :huh: I've edited it twice! :fool:

#39 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:07 AM

Ok more info.

I took out all hoses, checked them. All good. I disconnected various hoses at varius points and ran car to ensure that a good strong flow came through. - No issue all fine.

Ran car for 15 mins and tested heater.. nope.

There is a good flow from the fan on both hot and cold. However when i switch to hot there is a little less preasure then cold.

Also the tub from Rad to Thermo gets quite hot (you wouldn;t be able to hot it) The tubes from the thermo are luke warm at best.

Thoughts?

#40 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:08 AM

As for a bloack in the heater core, if this was the case when i disconnected the top hose and let the bottom one feed into the core it should not have cause it to flow out right?.. But it did. There was plenty of preasure behind it

#41 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:10 AM

Also the plot thickens.. Did the accessories test. All lights come on except the temp... Now that doesn't prove its the thermo .. but it also doesn't disprove it.

#42 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:51 AM

Posted Image

^^ Definately not factory AC compressor^^

This is the complete factory system out of the car with AC Delco compessor and VIR system (Valves In Reciever)
Posted Image

Also your engine bay should look like this when assembled.
Posted Image

And for clarity the heater fan duct should look like this (large black box in the back left hand corner)
Posted Image

#43 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:52 AM

Also the plot thickens.. Did the accessories test. All lights come on except the temp... Now that doesn't prove its the thermo .. but it also doesn't disprove it.

Read the post.
It only comes on while the engine is cranking.
It's a test function to let you know the globe in the dash is O.K.

Paul, his heater hoses run differently, your car is later I think?

Only 3 edits this time :fool:

Edited by rodomo, 03 May 2009 - 12:58 AM.

#44 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:15 AM

Rob - yeah when i crank it, it doesn't come on (thats what i meant by accessories sorry to confuse). - Maybe we are getting off the point a little though?

I have proven that water flows through all the hoses with good preasure. Its almost like its missing a heat transfer into the water thats in hoses beneath the thermo. I know I'm a newb to this but I can't figure out why the water isn't heating up when it hits the heater core. (i temp tested that water and its luke warm whilst the rad water would take your face off)

Paul thanks for the pictures mate, got a feeling yours might be an LX as i am not familuar with your set up.. both of yours have a straight run from your heater to the water pump, on of mine passes through the manifold on the other side then to the heater..

As the AC isn;t factory its probably of little value to anyone so I might tear it out now (looks shit) and see if i can identify what it came out of. ATM i only care about the heater

Edited by Courage, 03 May 2009 - 01:15 AM.

#45 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:19 AM

Rob - yeah when i crank it, it doesn't come on (thats what i meant by accessories sorry to confuse). - Maybe we are getting off the point a little though?

I have proven that water flows through all the hoses with good preasure. Its almost like its missing a heat transfer into the water thats in hoses beneath the thermo. I know I'm a newb to this but I can't figure out why the water isn't heating up when it hits the heater core. (i temp tested that water and its luke warm whilst the rad water would take your face off)

Paul thanks for the pictures mate, got a feeling yours might be an LX as i am not familuar with your set up.. both of yours have a straight run from your heater to the water pump, on of mine passes through the manifold on the other side then to the heater..

As the AC isn;t factory its probably of little value to anyone so I might tear it out now (looks shit) and see if i can identify what it came out of. ATM i only care about the heater

Yes knew the difference, water heated manifold vs my exhaust heated.
But the AC should be same same if it was factory.

Edited by LX2DR, 03 May 2009 - 01:27 AM.

#46 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:25 AM

Sooo... whats the general feeling now?

If the heater core was blocked it wouldn't be able to pass water through it...yeah?

Infact if there was any blockage after the pump water wouldn't move at all... but i've test it all the way to the return point and its fine.

I keep bringing up the thermo cos i am not %100 on how it works in this situation. Am i barking up the wrong tree here?

#47 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:25 AM

There is a good flow from the fan on both hot and cold. However when i switch to hot there is a little less preasure then cold.

If you're talking about air flow/pressure from the blower, it sounds more like the air flap could be at fault as mentioned in earlier posts. When the car is warmed up and the heater is on, is the heater box warm? (Regardless of whether warm air is coming out). Did you check the flap operation?

#48 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

Flap seems to be ok, will tripple check again

#49 VitcLJ

VitcLJ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:04 PM

Jol , I disagree with Rodomo. Your heater is connected to the two pipes that come from under the thermostat. These pipes are at basically the same pressure. they come from the same point )front of head) they are supposed to provide the flow for the inlet manifold warming. DRILL the waterpump and connect the heater to the top pipe of the thermostat housing and the water pump. Connect the manifold to the top and bottom pipes of the thermostat housing. You may have to get a tee to put in the top pipe.The bottom pipe is supplied via a hole in the head and a channel in the housing it is quite often blocked with scale and does not flow any water above a trickle. I reckon this will fix your problem :rockon: :rockon:
T

#50 _Courage_

_Courage_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:41 PM

Robs a wealth of info and I don't know if I wanna go against him. Your advice is logical to me but i'd like someone else to back it up.

Anyone?

btw retesated flap .. all good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users