Nolathene Problem?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#26 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:02 AM

my brand new adjustable bars made by the people with a name that sounds like kmart totally shat out there neoprene before they even made it into the car.i rang them and discussed this with them.i purchased the whole kit from the motor show. their sales rep said these would last a lot longer than their rubber counterparts.they crumbled in exactly the same way like dried up dog shit.they only agreed to replace them after i said id post pictures and give them a spray everywhere i could. they initially refused and i gave them a friendly reminder that there are laws to protect consumers but why should i be forced to make an arsehole of myself to make things right.they were in total denial. these are crap the rubber ones in my hz 1 tonner are still there???????????????total waste of money.
ill get some pics

Edited by rob350hatch, 01 December 2010 - 03:04 AM.

#27 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:09 AM

Had the same thing happen in one of my commo utes. When I saw all the crumbled half chewed rubber i figured it was rats at the time and just replaced with normal rubbers.

#28 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:22 AM

Here is my 2 cents worth.
20 years doing suspensions fitting all different types of bushes both rubber and poly.
"Polyurethane bushes will never outlast rubber ever!!" ,the reason being that if they aren't a dodgy batch (my Torry still has a set in it from 10 years ago so not all are bad) They have to be greased thoroughly and when the grease is washed out or deteriorates they wear at an accelerated rate.I think Poly bushes have a place on some vehicles but i much prefer the rubber ones on major pivot points. The rubber ones seem to fit better aswell.
We still fit alot of Nolathane and we don't have any crumble lately , as a matter of fact i cant remember the last time a set failed. Maybe they have addressed the problems they had with mixing or whatever ?? My advice is if you buy a name brand and if there is a problem then send em back and any reasonable mob will give your money back.

#29 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:49 AM

I replaced the front suspension bushes on my hatch 20 years ago with rubber except for the lower rear bush and the k-frame to body mounts which were orange SuperPro. When I pulled the suspension down a couple of years ago the rubber bushes needed replacing but the SuperPro bushes were still as good as new.

People who have bushes that have crumbled need to send them to the manufacturer and get some answers.

#30 _nicko61_

_nicko61_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

I replaced the front suspension bushes on my hatch 20 years ago with rubber except for the lower rear bush and the k-frame to body mounts which were orange SuperPro. When I pulled the suspension down a couple of years ago the rubber bushes needed replacing but the SuperPro bushes were still as good as new.

People who have bushes that have crumbled need to send them to the manufacturer and get some answers.

many restorers wont know there is a problem for a long time ,so no chance of warranty claim,Out of the ten or so Ford and Holden mates of mine building cars as we speak,4 started over 3 years ago and another 3 last year,and only about 2 or 3 will do there cars in under a year,at least 5 have already done there front ends up and only 1 used original style rubber.
Now thats just fairly close friends of mine, there are literally many thousands out there in Australia who are using the Nolathane and other brand bushes,
Yes ive also had them over many years with no problems,but what about the last 8 years ,they are selling faulty garbage that most get told its a problem with not using correct grease or you have done something wrong installing them,so most walk away thinking its there own fault.meanwhile they continue selling them without admitting there has been a faulty batch,lol yeah a faulty batch that covers at least 5 years and 80 different model cars and 4x4's.faulty batch my ARSE

Edited by nicko61, 01 December 2010 - 08:13 AM.

#31 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

I am not suggesting making a warranty claim. I am suggesting that discussing failed bushes and the possible causes with input from the manufacturer would be more productive.

I think that anyone that has pictures of failed bushes should contact the manufacturer and post their response. If the manufacturer will not comment because you don't have a receipt or the bushes where bought years ago then post that as their response.

I would like to know which manufacturers are or have been selling faulty components and which manufacturers will not stand by their product when there is a problem.

I would also like to know which manufacturers make consistently good quality products and/or stand by their product if there is a problem.

#32 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

I should edit my comment "Poly bushes will never outlast rubber ones" that is , if used in an area of high stress and movement ie. control arms ect ...

#33 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

I should edit my comment "Poly bushes will never outlast rubber ones" that is , if used in an area of high stress and movement ie. control arms ect ...

As I said before my SuperPro bushes outlasted the rubber bushes. My front suspension was re-bushed by WA Suspensions in the late 80's. WA Suspensions recommended using rubber bushes for all but the lower rear front suspension bushes. According to WA Suspensions the lower rear bush in the front suspension takes the most load particularly under brakes so they recommended fitting the SuperPro bushes in the lower rear only. When I pulled the front suspension down a couple of years ago the lower front and upper rubber bushes needed replacing but the lower rear SuperPro were as good as new.

If polyurethane bushes do not outlast rubber bushes then I think there is something seriously wrong with the polyurethane.

#34 _73gtr_

_73gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

I received some polyurethane bushes for my suspension, they are still in packets they look old (Could just be dirty)?
Is there anyway to test before I use them?

#35 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

crush test with your fingers should do it.

#36 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:20 PM

I am not suggesting making a warranty claim. I am suggesting that discussing failed bushes and the possible causes with input from the manufacturer would be more productive.

I think that anyone that has pictures of failed bushes should contact the manufacturer and post their response. If the manufacturer will not comment because you don't have a receipt or the bushes where bought years ago then post that as their response.

I would like to know which manufacturers are or have been selling faulty components and which manufacturers will not stand by their product when there is a problem.

I would also like to know which manufacturers make consistently good quality products and/or stand by their product if there is a problem.

Waste of time...you must have missed the previous post that says Whiteline now owns ALL the distributors of these products...therefore...it all goes back to one supplier.
R

Edited by rorym, 01 December 2010 - 05:20 PM.

#37 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

If there is only one supplier it should be even easier to get an answer. What does Whiteline have to say about the problem?

Is anyone bringing in cheap knockoffs from China and passing them off as Nolathane?

I read that Whiteline own Nolathane and Noltec, do they also own SuperPro? Has anyone had this problem with a SuperPro?

Do Whiteline own Energy Suspension, Prothane, Allstar and all the other suppliers?

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 01 December 2010 - 06:35 PM.

#38 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:21 PM

I received some polyurethane bushes for my suspension, they are still in packets they look old (Could just be dirty)?
Is there anyway to test before I use them?

If i were you i would squeeze them a fair bit in a vise , if they split they are no good if you can squash them considerably without them cracking or splitting them they should be fine.
BTW if you can crush them with your fingers then i probably wouldn't use them , haha.
Often cars come in with even good nolathane in their control arms ect and they have done a bit of work but the grease has long since dissipated and they have worn out (not crumbled)after just a few years, we also get 25+ year old cars coming in for their first set of bushes in their life you pull the factory bushes out and they aren't that bad , maybe the aftermarket rubber ones wear quicker but they seem to be made 'less' cheaply and seem to fit well (and look original).

#39 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

Looking at Superpro's web site, they claim they are still a separate company with lots of outlets and production plant in Moorooka Brissy. I had a set of Superpro steering rack bushes in my LX for about 3 years but it never turned a wheel on the road. Back in about 2000 they fell apart and they replaced them instantly no questions asked.

I was wondering if some clown was bringing these other brands in from China now - that is exactly what it smells of to me. If you look on the nolothane website they state

'We have two production plants, with head office, warehouse and all R&D located at Somersby, approximately one hour north of Sydney on New South Wales Central Coast.'

Now that does not actually say their production plants are in Oz - I am getting really good at spotting this cute wording sh!t to hide the true origin of stuff these days. No where on their website do they state made in Australia - which also smells of a rat - most companies are proud to announce this as Superpro do.

Energy suspension gear is out of the USA - not sure where they are actually made though - I might check into it.

I had a couple of bad experiences with Fulcrum (Superpro) a few years back which didn't impress me in the least but I might give them another go as they are Aussie guys and my locals (only 10 minutes drive away) who I like to support.

#40 _swifty_

_swifty_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

Did a set of Link pins (Wasp brand) on a vt today everyone of them split as they were tightened.Returned to the store seems it's very common for poly bushes to split and crumble.Bought genuine rubber same price.

#41 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

Im a mechanic and I WILL NOT under any circumstance fit these bushes. I personally had a 3 month old red steering coupling in my LJ let go while I was driving. NOT NICE. The company in question at first wanted nothing to do with it, they eventually sent me a new one which was promptly thrown in the bin.

It is not just a bad batch, ALL of these bushes will crumble.

#42 _bunkerjest_

_bunkerjest_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:15 PM

ive fitted nolathane bushes for the last 8 years and have not had 1 issue with any of them

#43 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:05 AM

I am not saying i love the stuff but they do have bad batches . We have fitted poly bushes to a few taxis and they come back after 80 000-100 000kms later worn out but still soft. Another customer drives 5kms every morning and night on a corrugated dirt road every day and we put nolathane in her lower inners and 12 months and 40 000kms later they are worn but still pliable .Having said that , i would never recommend using those nolathane steering couplings .

#44 _glenn l_

_glenn l_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:09 AM

redranger who owns nolathane bought out whiteline and noletec, and got rid of noletec. none of there products are made in australia. pedders poly bushes are nolathane just with a different packaging. superpro poly bushes are made in australia except there metal parts eg crush tubes and shells which are made off sure but are made a shit load better the others, machined shell and all are hardned, at my shop we sell a bit of every ones product but at least 90% of it is superpro because imo it is so much better.

#45 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

Bingo!! Dare I say it - Fn Chinese shit - Looked like it from a mile away :-)

#46 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

So I think we can all agree to just go SuperPro bushes for now on? I was just about to start a thread about this too. ("What bushes should be used?")

#47 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

Make your own from brass, doesn't take too long on a lathe.

#48 _homer_

_homer_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

Best of going with rubber bushes. I was going to go Nolathane, even ordered and bought the complete suspension kit but ended up selling it on evelbay. I've been told Nolathane isn't the best in a hot climate and tends to break after a while. I was in Darwin when I was told this.

#49 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

Im a mechanic and I WILL NOT under any circumstance fit these bushes. I personally had a 3 month old red steering coupling in my LJ let go while I was driving. NOT NICE. The company in question at first wanted nothing to do with it, they eventually sent me a new one which was promptly thrown in the bin.

Hi I am with you, I am a mechanic too and I will not fit Nolathane ones to my cars, I also agree with a previous writer "fauly batch my arse" I replaced a failed set a few months ago these had been in for many years so would predate any Chinese imports!

Has anyone had any of the other colours shatter or is it just the red ones that are crap?

The vechicle I mentioned required all replacement upper and lower control arms because of the Nolathane bushed buggered these, as these have more torque and impact forces than rubber ones and conseuently come loose in their housings.

It is good to see that at least some people are wise to these deficient products, does anyone know of a company that makes the proper parts as I have not foundone yet.
I find when there is a trend to other products that the original they are unavailable due to low volume sales, so I hope this hasn't happened here!

Repco sell the small upper ones,but I have only been offered Nolathane for the lower ones, so I walked out of the shop.

The lower bushes for Kingswood models are supposed to have three dimples to assist with the side thrust when an impact is taken, The Rares ones I have seen do not!

Torana ones are held by the radius rods of course so I don't think they have the dimples.

Mike

#50 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

Have a look at Peddars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users