notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Name:Reverse of username
  • Car:1976 LX L32 SL/R

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Aaaahhhhh crap... thanks a lot mate... now I want a rotisserie. That's quality work from your young bloke mate!!!! You need him to finish your car off... does a better job than you! :P

#102 _sting_

_sting_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

Nice,Nice,Nice love the car its going to be hot im keeping my eye on this one keep the photo's up.cheers sting

#103 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

OK.... and for day 2 of my 1 month holiday (I will finish the car at this rate!) I got quite a bit more done.

Both the driver and passenger side wheel well had had a bit of "tap tap" done in the past to accomodate bigger wheels. The DS needed a minor rust repair too, the passenger side was very sound.

This is how my SL/R was....

Attached File  SLR_01.jpg   183.07K   1 downloads

And after a little touch up with my grinder....

Attached File  SLR_05.jpg   181.37K   2 downloads

And then a spray with my MIG....

Attached File  SLR_14.jpg   182.13K   1 downloads

And yarda yarda.... all ground flush and looking sweet. Funny thing is.... I will be running stocko rims and SL/R hubcaps! So I won't even need this mod... but since it was half done I felt it right to finish it properly.

After this, I spent a while looking at the windscreen and thinking to myself, it has to come out eventually, and I need to do repairs in that area soon.... so why delay it any longer?? Well ok... I was shit-scared of what I would find under the screen seal!! :o I will never forget popping out a rear screen back in 1992 and ... OMG!! How was that held in there???

I took before pics... and braced myself.... (only one little lump there to worry about, and that was all for the whole screen area!)

Attached File  SLR_25.jpg   188.46K   1 downloads

And then... TA-DA!! I can't believe there was not a single spot of rust under the seal (except for that hole there that I stabbed with a screwdriver)..... the whole way around!!! Nothing! What the??

Attached File  SLR_31.jpg   191.92K   1 downloads

Happy!! :D

More tomorrow, maybe.... I'm thinking of a day out instead :)

Edited by notna, 21 June 2011 - 08:18 PM.

#104 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

gezz that was a pretty wild mod done in the wheel well :DOH: good to see its looking all neat and tidy again :) you were very lucky like i was with the front glass aperture, i didnt have any repairs but the rear sure did make up for it thats for sure :sad: whats the rear like on yours ??

OH and thats my 1st time at using a rotisserie and it just made things so much easyer than having to crawl around on my back getting shit in my eyes not to mention the good old hot rocks while welding dropping on me :furious: the young bloke goes alright if i give him something to do but is now finding bashing stuff up with the hammer is more fun then the shitty dirty jobs lol :dontknow:

Edited by nial8r, 22 June 2011 - 08:54 AM.

#105 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:39 PM

Been progressing this every day still for the past whole week, but saving the pics for now. When I have finished the engine bay and under the guards I will post the lot. It's really coming together well! :D

On another note.....

The car came with Hotwires, which I had always planned to keep and use. Upon close inspection, the fronts were a different style to the rears, and one of the fronts was out of round :o

I had 2 pretty decent stocko 13" steelies already, which would be OK on the front of an original resto, and 2 reverse center 13" x 6" popped up on eBay, which I thought would be perfect for the rears, so I snapped them up.

Here you can see the offset difference:

Posted Image

Then..... the most immaculate set of SL/R hubcaps popped up on eBay with a B-I-N price I thought was half their worth, so I snapped them up to finish the whole stocko look I am after. Apparently these were removed from a genuine black SL/R 5000 after 1 year, in 1978, and kept in a shed in country NSW until I bought them. I was VERY pleased with these.....

Attached File  SLR_01.jpg   198.56K   2 downloads

Attached File  SLR_02.jpg   199.05K   1 downloads

I don't usually get excited about wheels when a resto is so far from complete, but i got sucked in this time.... Sorry guys! :P

More substantial updates next week !

#106 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

My suspicions were true, and I soon found that the front apron didn't like the alignment of the aftermarket radiator support rust repair section. The bolt holes on the very bottom were not lining up too well. A little bit of adjusting soon got that right.

I thought that replacement section may have given you trouble, where did you score it from again?

#107 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

Rare Spares. I don't think the part is bad in any way at all. My problem was that the previous owner had cut out the original piece already, and I didn't have another car to copy off when fitting the replacement section.

I little mod either end of the repalcement section and it fits excellent.

#108 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

More progress.... very notable improvements now. I love it when a plan comes together.

I'm not a fan of "bogging" as such, but I'm not a panel beater and will never be able to flatten out panels like the pros do, so a "skim fill" here and there is what I end up with.

Here I gave the engine bay a skim. Remember, I had welded back on the chassis rail lips and then ground all that flush, so I was always going to skim this.

Attached File  SLR_01.jpg   190.83K   2 downloads

Once this and a few other small areas were smooth, I hit the lot, under and over, with PPG Etch Primer. Remember, I'm not going for the smoothed street machine look for my engine bay, I want as per factory, with ripples and all that factory produced goodness (or badness... lol)

Attached File  SLR_25.jpg   195.1K   1 downloads

Attached File  SLR_28.jpg   196.25K   2 downloads

Attached File  SLR_29.jpg   162.18K   1 downloads

Attached File  SLR_33.jpg   167.21K   2 downloads

Now i was ready to call it a day, but I had a bit of time left so soldiered on with my factory look. Out came the brush on seam sealer. Never used this stuff before, and never again either! It's horrible, disgusting and just plain ugly! I only used it coz they did in the factory.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyway, after this I was quite worried that I had ruined my super clean under guard areas. But.... I had a feeling that the stone guard would cover all sins, and sure enough, it gave me the exact look I was after. I am VERY pleased with how all of this turned out. The chassis rail repairs, the replacement of inner skirt panels, the cleaning of under guard areas and all coatings. It's when you start to see the rewards of hard work, that you gain motivation and want to keep going.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have to say though..... that stoneguard is MESSY stuff. Mask off everywhere and use lots of drop sheets. Reemember that you are aiming upward too, so any slip ups and your ceiling is wearing it! :o

What next? 2K Hi Fill primer for the engine bay, and GMH Satin Black for the trans tunnel and floors. Coming soon.....

#109 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:41 PM

Nice work mate. Looking really good, the repairs are not even noticeable.

#110 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

them rail replacements come up very good anton :clap: with the seam sealer if you work it with the brush always going the same direction its not to bad to work with, its just when you brush it on in one direction then try and go over it in the oppisite direction it gets all shitty. looks like you had fun with the stone gaurd too and looks like you flicked a few coats on too lol. Oh and while i remember where you welded the new battery tray to the rail there should be 3 short runs on weld not 2 so best you grind them off and chuck 3 on for the factory look :tease: and add some rust too as im sure Toranas come out with rust inbuilt :furious: but all in all its coming up well, keep the pic's coming

#111 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

Love your work Anton.

#112 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

Nice work Anton, repairs are first class especially for someone who isn't in the trade, your workmanship would put alot of panel beaters i've worked with to shame. I actually think your inner wheel wells turned out better than mine :buttrock: Lee brought up a good point, if you really want the 100% original untouched factory look, the join from battery/VIN number trays to chassis rails had three small messy MIG welds. I took great pains to replicate them as best i could when i replaced the battery tray on my LH.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#113 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

Looks grouse. Its come a long way since the bent and badly modified sheel you started with.

#114 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:50 PM

Cheers guys. Appreciate the comments.

Normally I am a sponge for info, asking lots of questions in my quest for whatever I am doing. I cannot believe I didn't ask about the 3 welds! I had nothing to copy off, and I had a hunch it was 2 welds, so I went with that. Lee.... no way in this world am I grinding that back and putting 3 on! Actually..... dammit.... now I think about it, I could probably do it.

#115 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:11 AM

They've gotta be very messy too. And don't grind off any surrounding spatter! :)

Very nice work Notna!

#116 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

lol if you do go with putting the 3 on there i would just mask of the rest of the bay so that no sparks or what not damage the rest of your good work. also sorry to let you know now but thought i better if your going for the factory look :surrenderwave:

#117 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

Satin black done on the trans tunnel and rad support. I also did the inner face of the chassis rails. The rest that's still in green etch primer will get Hi Fill and colour a little later on.

Attached File  SLR_01.jpg   213.69K   4 downloads

But next on the hit list, and continuing to work from front to back on the car, is this nasty piece of work.....

Attached File  SLR_33.jpg   229.14K   1 downloads

:o Can't wait to tackle that one!

#118 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:09 PM

This build is impressing me immensely. :)

#119 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

This build is impressing me immensely. :)

I agree, the return to factory look is almost more impressive than us butchering our bits, especially this build... Full respect Notna.

#120 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

Hey Notna,

Great to see another classic being returned to its glory days.

Keep up the good work. Do you have engine, box etc. with matching numbers?

Berro

#121 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

You are too kind guys.... thanks heaps for the praise. This build is an obsession that began in 1993 when I butchered a totally stock L32 SL/R. If I don't do this, and do it right, then I may not get to see those pearly gates when I die. That's what I tell teh wife anyway :P

Berro, this car came with a QR 253 that was a bit iffy, and a fully reco but not yet used M21 box. The box is a keeper, the QR motor was replaced for a HR 253 that was cast the same month/year as the car. Good enough to satisfy me, and thanks again to the forum member who sold it to me :D

#122 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

I have an old magazine with colour photos of LX Toranas on the GMH assembly line if your interested for reference pics etc. One photo shows an LX SS 4.2ltr hatch body being lowered onto the k-frame with engine/trans etc fitted. Pretty sure there are some good colour pics of bare painted LX engines bays too. Let me know if you're interested. Cheers Matt

#123 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

Matt, that kind of thing interests me greatly. Would love to see. It will probably make me change what I have done, but so be it. That's just me. Thanks mate!

#124 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

looking good mate but i feel for ya with that plenium/heatbox repair :DOH:

#125 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

Come and do it for me Lee, if you are feeling so sympathetic.... :Buddy:.... hehehe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users